not even  decent defense ?

tell me stat geeks

how many more PO wins would andy have if he didn't have such a bad SS

to me when I hear you all talkin about his D

it sounds to me like you are saying

to win SS defense doesn't matter

and then I wonder even more why them people keep talking about it

Not even decent Zac.

How much SS defense matters depends on how good the rest of your team is.  Jeter was able to offset his defensive deficiencies with his great offense and leadership.  The Yankees were good enough in other areas to compensate for Jeter's poor defense.

Why do we keep talking about it?   One never misses a chance to tweak the Yankees. ;-)

On a different note,

Can you believe that some people are calling the 2013 Red Sox lucky?

Nobody should ever call the 2013 Red Sox lucky; they were just the best; by far, and with an unmatched fireceness. Refer to my recent thread below as to the reasons why, at least IMO. 

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/i-tip-my-cap/100/6871277?ia=21699617

Here's a perfect example of the difference between the NYY & Bos in 2013; the NYY signed Youkilis; for similar money, the RS signed Victorino, and he played hurt with multiple injuries; he seemed to be grimacing all the time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Jeter re-signed....$12MM

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Compelling stuff; and while Jeter has postage stamp range, here's something even more compelling; let me know when Lester wins 5 GGs, as voted by his peers and coaches.

And before you poo-poo this award; the GG is a fraud; that is, unless a RS wins it. 

Also, comparisons were made here between Jeter, Drew, and Nomar, and I wasn't the one that started it.

Steven, the GG Awards are a joke.  Sometimes they get it right, and they have been doing better recently, but they are still a joke, even when the Red Sox win them.

They happen to be right about Pedroia and Victorino this year, but a few years back when they had Youkilis as one of their finalists at third base, that was a joke.

If someone tells me that someone won a GG, I put no stock into that at all.  I will look up the stats myself.

If someone tells me that someone won a Fielding Bible Award, I know we have a good fielder without having to look at any stats.

If you want to know who the best defenders are from year to year, look at the Fielding Bible winners.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

Thanks for the link; good stuff. However, the GG is an indicator, albeit a flawed one; to wit; Brooks Robinson won 16 consecutive. In Jeter's case, it was a tribute to his flawless intangibles, sure hands, and great arm; (these are things that do not register on the pointillistic approach taken by sabermetrics ) that is, except these intangibles; he needs to admit he can't play it at this point (that's assuming he can play at all), and when ARod came over in 2004, he should have moved to 3B.  Oh, and IMO he should have taken a big incentive laden discount for 2014. 12 Mil doesn't buy what it used to, i.e a 190 BA, lousy defense, and about 10 Games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Derek Jeter is a lot like Kobe Bryant--Well-respected but father time is catching up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Here's a perfect example of the difference between the NYY & Bos in 2013; the NYY signed Youkilis; for similar money, the RS signed Victorino, and he playedhurt with multiple injuries; he seemed to be grimacing all the time.

I don't hink you need to go outside the NYY to see the differences.  For the money they spent on Youk, they could've signed both Martin and Chavez.  They could've gotten almost any 3B RH bat to platoon with Chavez, and it would be like getting a pretty decent catcher for nothing.

But I don't understand almost anything the NYY do these days.  Not sure they do either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Derek Jeter is a lot like Kobe Bryant--Well-respected but father time is catching up

[/QUOTE]

Don't say Derek Jeter is anything like Kobe Bryant. Jeter is the complete opposite of Bryant. IMO if Kobe Bryant wasn't worth a fortune to his team, he would be in jail. Again, JMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's a perfect example of the difference between the NYY & Bos in 2013; the NYY signed Youkilis; for similar money, the RS signed Victorino, and he playedhurt with multiple injuries; he seemed to be grimacing all the time.

I don't hink you need to go outside the NYY to see the differences.  For the money they spent on Youk, they could've signed both Martin and Chavez.  They could've gotten almost any 3B RH bat to platoon with Chavez, and it would be like getting a pretty decent catcher for nothing.

But I don't understand almost anything the NYY do these days.  Not sure they do either.

[/QUOTE]

NY took Youk because of his Red Sox connection. Having him playing against Boston was a big part of it. IMO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

This should end the GG is a valid award discussion:

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW IT IS VALID THAT RAFAEL PALMEIRO WON A GG IN 1999.

if you can adequately explain that, I will happily come back on here and admit I was wrong.

If you cannot, stop saying jeter's GG's are a worthy stat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if you can adequately explain that, I will happily come back on here and admit I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

-ever hear the one about  the baby and the bath water

- just because his mgr didn't play him at SS

why aren't other mgrs allowed to think he was the best SS

-how many times did RSN tell us arod was our best SS

yet he never played a gm there

-is bogarts not your best up & coming SS

even though he play more at 3B

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No doubt some of the moves NY made and didn't make last winter leaves you wondering what were they thinking.

That being said no one knows for sure where they would have finished had it not been for all the injuries.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Yankees signed Youkilis to be an utility player/DH for the team cuz A-Rod started the season on DL.  But that have never work out for the Yankees cuz Youkilis, Texeria and A-Rod were all hurt at the same time.   Did the Yankees have saw it coming, probably not especially with Texieria.  Not the Yankees may have regretted big time for signing Texeria and A-Rod.   

Now we could now laugh at Boras for having him to tell Texieria to sign with the yankees cuz they offered the best money that they can find.  Now it is becoming the busted deal for the Yankees.  Same with Josh Hamilton who almost signed with Boston, and now his deal is soon becoming a busted deal with the Angels!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mistakes happen; Grace Kelly won the Best Actress Award in 1955 when many claimed it should have been Judy Garland. Ditto Saving Private Ryan vs Shakespeare In Love. Should we as a result conclude Brooks Robinson's 16 consecutive GG Awards were bogus? Or Ozzie Smith?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, all gold glove awards - past and present - must be taken with a grain of salt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mistakes happen; Grace Kelly won the Best Actress Award in 1955 when many claimed it should have been Judy Garland. Ditto Saving Private Ryan vs Shakespeare In Love. Should we as a result conclude Brooks Robinson's 16 consecutive GG Awards were bogus? Or Ozzie Smith?

[/QUOTE]

Mistakes?  the guy played 28 games at 1b and 128 games as the DH in 1999.

The GG award is a JOKE.  stop saying jeter's GG's are a worthy stat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can you say, without a doubt, that Robinson didn't win a few of those GGs simply because he's Brooks Robinson?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, all gold glove awards - past and present - must be taken with a grain of salt

[/QUOTE] well, idk about ALL... i think that a few were slam dunks....IMO Pedroia,Philips,Victorino, CarGo and Yadi were no-doubters...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] well, idk about ALL... i think that a few were slam dunks....IMO Pedroia,Philips,Victorino, CarGo and Yadi were no-doubters...

[/QUOTE]

The lousy picks make even the slam dunks suspect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]hey 4B's, you could be right...tho in the cases of  DP, CarGo and Yadi..i think their Fielding Bible Awards should lessen the "suspect" a bit, no??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Jeter's last 3 GG years:

2010:   -9 rTot 3.78 RF/9 (lgRF/9 = 4.40)

2009:  4 rTot  3.90 RF/9 (4.36)

2006:  -3rTot  4.14 RF/9 (4.49)

BELOW AVERAGE.  Jeter hasn't even been an average fielder these 3 seasons.

FOR S#$% & GIGGLES here are the numbers for the Red Sox SS for those same 3 years.  i know how you yankee fans like to spout how we have an ever revolving door at SS whilst you have jeter...well, here ya go:

2010:  Marco Scutaro

0 rTot  3.83 RF/9

2009:  Alex Gonzalez / N. Green

-1rTot  3.94 RF/9      /  -5rTot  4.22 RF/9

2006:  Alex Gonzalez

2rTot  4.36 RF/9

The Boston Red Sox SS have better defensive stats than Derek Jeter during these 3 seasons.  LOL.

GG validity discussion OVAH.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]hey 4B's, you could be right...tho in the cases of  DP, CarGo and Yadi..i think their Fielding Bible Awards should lessen the "suspect" a bit, no??

[/QUOTE]

Yup, if the Fielding Bible picks agree, I'd say they got it right.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Derek Jeter is a lot like Kobe Bryant--Well-respected but father time is catching up.

[/QUOTE]

Don't say Derek Jeter is anything like Kobe Bryant. Jeter is the complete opposite of Bryant. IMO if Kobe Bryant wasn't worth a fortune to his team, he would be in jail. Again, JMO.

[/QUOTE]

I would like to treat you to a cup of coffee because you could really use some.   LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

well, idk about ALL... i think that a few were slam dunks....IMO Pedroia,Philips,Victorino, CarGo and Yadi were no-doubters...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]hey 4B's, you could be right...tho in the cases of  DP, CarGo(Brewers) and Yadi..i think their Fielding Bible Awards should lessen the "suspect" a bit, no??

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With that out of the way, here are your Fielding Bible Award winners for the 2013 season ...

C - Yadier Molina, Cardinals

1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

2B - Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox

3B - Manny Machado, Orioles

SS - Andrelton Simmons, Braves

LF - Alex Gordon, Royals

CF - Carlos Gomez, Brewers

RF - Gerardo Parra, Diamondbacks

P - R.A. Dickey, Blue Jays

hey 4B's, after a quick check....all of the FB winners also won GG's...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

well, idk about ALL... i think that a few were slam dunks....IMO Pedroia,Philips,Victorino, CarGo and Yadi were no-doubters...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]hey 4B's, you could be right...tho in the cases of  DP, CarGo(Brewers) and Yadi..i think their Fielding Bible Awards should lessen the "suspect" a bit, no??

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With that out of the way, here are your Fielding Bible Award winners for the 2013 season ...

C - Yadier Molina, Cardinals

1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

2B - Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox

3B - Manny Machado, Orioles

SS - Andrelton Simmons, Braves

LF - Alex Gordon, Royals

CF - Carlos Gomez, Brewers

RF - Gerardo Parra, Diamondbacks

P - R.A. Dickey, Blue Jays

hey 4B's, after a quick check....all of the FB winners also won GG's...

[/QUOTE]

Maybe there's hope for them after all.

But, considering it's coaches and managers, I'm not holding my breath.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Maybe there's hope for them after all.

But, considering it's coaches and managers, I'm not holding my breath.

yes fans like you are so much better qualified

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

btw,,,thank you Slasher...nothing brings "family" together quite like a Derek Jeter thread Tongue OutWink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Hi Kimmi...you could look at it this way....i'm not saying in any way that this was the case, but i like to say...sometimes it better to be lucky than good...FTR, the Sox were plenty good..
    [/QUOTE]

Hey Jetes, for any team to win the WS, they have to have some luck.  As I've said before, there is a lot more luck and randomness in baseball than most people realize.

That said, I agree with you - the Sox were plenty good.

Sections
Shortcuts