Jeter re-signed....$12MM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Jeter re-signed....$12MM

I don't see the 12 million being the problem for the Yankees.  The problem is that it's hard to sit a player of his stature if his performance is poor or mediocre.  See Mike Lowell, who still didn't have nearly the stature that Jeter has with the Yanks.  

Then again, the Yankees may need a drawing card if the team is not competitive.  See Carl Yastrzemski in the 80s.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

How many times did we say this about Mariano?

Superstars can play well into their 40s, and they can be effective. Average players start looking "average" around 35 years old.

Pitchers last longer, particularly RPs.  Peak years for position players is abot 28-32.  Modest declines to 36, then steep declines.

Plus, SS defense killed them 3 years in a row.

must of been a slow death considering they made the alcs last yr

when the 38 yr old won the silver slugging award while leading the league in hits

I just don't remember SS defense being the problem that series

Over 2012-2013, the NYY ranked #30 in UZR/150.

Trust me, I am rooting as hard as you for Jeter to be their starting SS next year.

We are in 100% agreement on this issie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Superstars can play well into their 40s, and they can be effective. Average players start looking "average" around 35 years old.

Pitchers last longer, particularly RPs.  Peak years for position players is abot 28-32.  Modest declines to 36, then steep declines.

when the 38 yr old won the silver slugging award while leading the league in hits

Trust me, I am rooting as hard as you for Jeter to be their starting SS next year.

trust you ? 1st off I have suggested him retiring could be a positive a few times

and you should know that

plus you're telling all of us the SS defense killed nyy last 3 yrs

but they made the alcs

how is that killing them

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

trust you ? 1st off I have suggested him retiring could be a positive a few times

and you should know that

but they made the alcs

how is that killing them

http://youtu.be/EbRo_anmIDc (Sorry, but you'll have to copy and paste the link, zac.  It's highly relevant to your ongoing feud with JB.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Does anybody really believe that the Yankees are looking to be frugal ?   I expect them to spend big this off season. They will try to get back in the race immediately.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Does anybody really believe that the Yankees are looking to be frugal ?   I expect them to spend big this off season. They will try to get back in the race immediately.

I don't expect them to be frugal, but I don't expect them to be reckless either.  There just may not be enough talent available in the market for them to recover so quickly, no matter how much they are willing to spend.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

you're telling all of us the SS defense killed nyy last 3 yrs

but they made the alcs

how is that killing them

http://youtu.be/EbRo_anmIDc (Sorry, but you'll have to copy and paste the link, zac.  It's highly relevant to your ongoing feud with JB.)

[/QUOTE]

Pedro Martinez gives Derek Jeter ultimate compliment

October 1, 2013 By Larry Brown

Pedro Martinez paid Derek Jeter the ultimate compliment on Tuesday, saying the New York Yankees shortstop was the one player he wanted to avoid during the postseason.

Pedro is doing some work for TBS as a postseason analyst and was asked during the network’s pregame show prior to the Pittsburgh Pirates-Cincinnati Reds playoff game whether he pitched around any hitters in the postseason. Mark DeRosa asked Pedro the question, and Martinez gave his answer. The three-time Cy Young Award winner specifically mentioned Jeter as the guy he tried avoiding.

“Yeah, plenty of them,” said Martinez. “Depending on the situation. Depending on the situation. The one I did not want to see forever in the postseason was actually (Derek) Jeter. Jeter was just uncomfortable to pitch to, especially in the postseason. It seems like he won’t swing and miss at a pitch. And then you make a great pitch, a quality pitch, and he fouls it off.”

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If the NYY are trying to get under the luxury limit, this isn't a very good start. They could have  offered him an incentive laden contract. What if he can't play at all?  It would be a Youkilis redux , maybe worse. Cashman and the Steinbrenner boys are idiots, and this goes back to the 2007 ARod signing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

you're telling all of us the SS defense killed nyy last 3 yrs

but they made the alcs

how is that killing them

October 1, 2013 By Larry Brown

Pedro Martinez paid Derek Jeter the ultimate compliment on Tuesday, saying the New York Yankees shortstop was the one player he wanted to avoid during the postseason.

Pedro is doing some work for TBS as a postseason analyst and was asked during the network’s pregame show prior to the Pittsburgh Pirates-Cincinnati Reds playoff game whether he pitched around any hitters in the postseason. Mark DeRosa asked Pedro the question, and Martinez gave his answer. The three-time Cy Young Award winner specifically mentioned Jeter as the guy he tried avoiding.

“Yeah, plenty of them,” said Martinez. “Depending on the situation. Depending on the situation. The one I did not want to see forever in the postseason was actually (Derek) Jeter. Jeter was just uncomfortable to pitch to, especially in the postseason. It seems like he won’t swing and miss at a pitch. And then you make a great pitch, a quality pitch, and he fouls it off.”

No doubt.  But even Mariano Rivera ages eventually.  Well, at least partly.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

Despite the fact he is coming off an injury-plagued season, the New York Yankees chose to reward captain Derek Jeter for his years of good service by re-signing the shortstop to a $12 million contract for 2014 on Friday.

Drew will not go there unless hes the SS. Cross NYY off his list.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I definitely don't want him to go to NY.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

I wonder out loud how many Sox fans given the choice would have taken a healthy (2012) Jeter over Drew this year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

trust you ? 1st off I have suggested him retiring could be a positive a few times

and you should know that

but they made the alcs

how is that killing them

It's killing them the same way that Salty's defense was killing the RS in the playoffs.

1-Yes, we won the WS.

2-Yes, Salty's defense was killing us.

When a team wins the WS, it doesn't hit a reset button that says everyone played great.  It just means that they won because some players played great.

I wonder out loud how many Sox fans given the choice would have taken a healthy (2012) Jeter over Drew this year.

2013 Drew was better than 2012 Jeter.  Jeter's OPS was slightly better, but Drew's fielding was much better.

October 1, 2013 By Larry Brown

Pedro Martinez paid Derek Jeter the ultimate compliment on Tuesday, saying the New York Yankees shortstop was the one player he wanted to avoid during the postseason.

I absolutely agree.  I'd rather face ARod in his prime than Jeter in his prime.  When Jeter homered off of Schilling in the Sunday game, the only thing I was thinking of, the entire AB, is how many people we needed to walk to get to ARod.

First ballot HOF and a great competitor.

Just is no longer a SS, and hasn't been for a while.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I think it's a great move.  I would rather the yanks have an older guy who is beat up than a young stud with great range.  I hope they keep him at ss, it would be good for the sox.

Don't get me wrong, I think jete is a class act but my first and only consideration is the sox.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

2013 Drew was better than 2012 Jeter.  Jeter's OPS was slightly better, but Drew's fielding was much better.

come on JB U R better than this

maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see drew coming in 7th in mvp voting this yr

besides I think HH was talking about  making the choice B4 the season

nothing wrong with a few extra adult beverages while celebrating the championship

but U shouldn't be driving or posting

come on JB U R better than this

maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see drew coming in 7th in mvp voting this yr

besides I think HH was talking about  making the choice B4 the season

nothing wrong with a few extra adult beverages while celebrating the championship

but U shouldn't be driving or posting

1-All I know is the numbers.

• .316/.362/.429/.791
    • .253/.333/.443/.777

That's almost identical.  The fielding is not that close.

2-If HH was talking about before the season, still probably Drew.  Drew had a career .762 coming into this season, with a good glove.  The past three years, Jeter had a .749.  The numbers favor Drew by a lot, but of course with some question mark about whether he was 100% recovered from his ankle injury.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/02/keidel-no-2-looking-out-for-no-1/

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

I wonder how many Red Sox fans would go to a Yankee board and not identify themselves as a Red Sox fan.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

I wonder how many Red Sox fans would go to a Yankee board and not identify themselves as a Red Sox fan.

If your suggesting I'am a yankee fan I would suggest you put the bottle down now.

Clearly you have had enough.

If your suggesting I'am a yankee fan I would suggest you put the bottle down now.

I assume she is referring to Zak, the one with the NYY jersey on.  Not sure someone wearing a NYY jersey would need to adentify himslef as a NYY fan, but...

I assume she is referring to Zak, the one with the NYY jersey on.  Not sure someone wearing a NYY jersey would need to adentify himslef as a NYY fan, but...

Good point jb.

Maybe it's me that needs to put down the bottle.

• Sections
    Shortcuts