Jeter re-signed....$12MM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Jeter re-signed....$12MM

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

How many times did we say this about Mariano?

Superstars can play well into their 40s, and they can be effective. Average players start looking "average" around 35 years old.

Pitchers last longer, particularly RPs.  Peak years for position players is abot 28-32.  Modest declines to 36, then steep declines.

Plus, SS defense killed them 3 years in a row.

must of been a slow death considering they made the alcs last yr

when the 38 yr old won the silver slugging award while leading the league in hits

I just don't remember SS defense being the problem that series

I wonder out loud how many Sox fans given the choice would have taken a healthy (2012) Jeter over Drew this year.

on this board you would have gotten a lot of takers.  Right up to the end there were many who wanted Boggie and his extensive playoff record, take over for drew.  Even after boggie pulled Ortiz off the bag, he was still their man.

But I think if you asked around Boston, Drew was well liked and most fans would have had no interest in Jeter.

Don't get me wrong. I was one of the few who preferred Drew over getting Will back in the line-up. Middlebrooks is an asset I'd rather not see play until he sharpens his defense and becomes better at the plate.

Jeter on the other hand plays decent defense and contributes a lot to the offense.

Give me the 2012 Jeter over Drew all day every day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

I don't see the 12 million being the problem for the Yankees.  The problem is that it's hard to sit a player of his stature if his performance is poor or mediocre.  See Mike Lowell, who still didn't have nearly the stature that Jeter has with the Yanks.  

Then again, the Yankees may need a drawing card if the team is not competitive.  See Carl Yastrzemski in the 80s.

After the difficult year that the Yankees had, I think that they needed to re-sign Jeter to a contract that would not cause any perception of disrespect or unhappiness to Jeter.  It's the same way I felt about the Sox re-signing Papi last year, after their horrible 2012 season.

Jeter is the face of the franchise.  The last thing the Yankees needed was some more negative media coverage, quibbling over a couple million dollars.

You are spot on about how difficult it would be to sit him if his performance is poor.  My guess is that if it gets to that point, he will somehow find his way to the DL.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Jeter on the other hand plays decent defense.

Not even close.

His offense and leadership might make up for it, but his defense is not decent, and hasn't been except for 2009.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Not even close.

His offense and leadership might make up for it, but his defense is not decent, and hasn't been except for 2009.

And yet, he is widely considered one of the greatest overall shortstops in history, perhaps exceeded only by Wagner, and which includes some notable pennant and WS saving plays on both sides of the field, while the RS seem to have a new one every season. Who would have thought?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Not even close.

And yet, he is widely considered one of the greatest overall shortstops in history, perhaps exceeded only by Wagner, and which includes some notable pennant and WS saving plays on both sides of the field, while the RS seem to have a new one every season. Who would have thought?

Widely?  I don't think so....He was a very good singles hitter for a SS who happened to be in the right time at the right place.  In NY, spending a ton of $ on offense (that turned over the line up more than any other team) and getting to bat lead off allowed him to lead the league in PA's nearly every year.  That in turn gave him the the chance to 3,000 hits.  Not taking anything away from him because he could hit; again a great singles hitter for a SS.  The best since Wagner yes I'll give you that.  But that's where it ends......There were many other SS that would be more valuable between Ozzie and Ripken, Ernie Banks to Alan Trammel.....Nomar was better for a solid chunk of time.......I think Jeter makes the Top 10 but again, mostly because of being in the right time at the right place (just think if Rivera wasn't on that team how may rings would he have which is why he gets a lot of overexposure; or if he didn't play in the largest media market in the history of history).  But I'll concede the "Top 10" and conceded the HOF but this "best ever" nonsense is just that:  non sense.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Not even close.

Widely?  I don't think so....He was a very good singles hitter for a SS who happened to be in the right time at the right place.  In NY, spending a ton of $ on offense (that turned over the line up more than any other team) and getting to bat lead off allowed him to lead the league in PA's nearly every year.  That in turn gave him the the chance to 3,000 hits.  Not taking anything away from him because he could hit; again a great singles hitter for a SS.  The best since Wagner yes I'll give you that.  But that's where it ends......There were many other SS that would be more valuable between Ozzie and Ripken, Ernie Banks to Alan Trammel.....Nomar was better for a solid chunk of time.......I think Jeter makes the Top 10 but again, mostly because of being in the right time at the right place (just think if Rivera wasn't on that team how may rings would he have which is why he gets a lot of overexposure; or if he didn't play in the largest media market in the history of history).  But I'll concede the "Top 10" and conceded the HOF but this "best ever" nonsense is just that:  non sense.......

While you have some salient points, apparently you can't comprehend that well. Reread your post, then mine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

what do you get when you

cross a sox fan with a stat geek

when the 38 yr old won the silver slugging award while leading the league in hits

Hingham Hammer's comment:  Jeter on the other hand plays decent defense.

RedSoxKimmi's comment:  Not even close.

not even  decent defense ?

tell me stat geeks

how many more PO wins would andy have if he didn't have such a bad SS

to me when I hear you all talkin about his D

it sounds to me like you are saying

to win SS defense doesn't matter

and then I wonder even more why them people keep talking about it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Not even close.

You might want to think about it another way.  Maybe the Yankees don't have any rings (or certainly fewer) without Jeter and Rivera. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Jeter is one of the greatest overall shortstops in history.  I would have taken him on my team in a heartbeat.  He is very sure handed on plays that he can get to.  That doesn't change the fact that he is an overall terrible defender.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

tell me stat geeks

Not even decent Zac.

How much SS defense matters depends on how good the rest of your team is.  Jeter was able to offset his defensive deficiencies with his great offense and leadership.  The Yankees were good enough in other areas to compensate for Jeter's poor defense.

Why do we keep talking about it?   One never misses a chance to tweak the Yankees. ;-)

On a different note,

Can you believe that some people are calling the 2013 Red Sox lucky?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Jeter is one of the greatest overall shortstops in history.  I would have taken him on my team in a heartbeat.  He is very sure handed on plays that he can get to.  That doesn't change the fact that he is an overall terrible defender.

Disagree; however, his range was always limited.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

Despite the fact he is coming off an injury-plagued season, the New York Yankees chose to reward captain Derek Jeter for his years of good service by re-signing the shortstop to a $12 million contract for 2014 on Friday.

Drew will not go there unless hes the SS. Cross NYY off his list.

or Jeter can DH. 

or play 3B or 2B if Cano bolts

My point was that if he has other offers for a guarenteed starting SS job, he will take one of them. If the NYY cant say the SS is yours, then I think he will consider other offers from good teams willing to commit. St.L being one of them.

Jeter will play some SS, I doubt hesgoing ft DH. Depending on what happens to A-Rod, 3b is not really an option yet. A-Rod will also have to DH if he is back sometime in 2014. Nothing is set yet at 2b until Cano signs a contract. Drew is not going to be super utility. With Jeter back, SS is a platoon position at best between the 2 because Jeter will play some. One again, IMHO, Drew will have offers from other teams willing to hand him the ft SS job for probably 4 years and north of 10M per.

So barring some ridiculous overpay, Cross the NYY off the list.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Not even close.

The fact that the Sox have been through a lot of SSs is one of the reason that Jeter is great?

Just brilliant...

Jeter is great because his way above average offense and leadership overshadows his pedestrian defense.

A couple of plays in the post season doesn't change that.

Lester made a very good flip play this year.

That doesn't make him a great fielding pitcher.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Not even close.

The fact that the Sox have been through a lot of SSs is one of the reason that Jeter is great?

Just brilliant...

Jeter is great because his way above average offense and leadership overshadows his pedestrian defense.

Compelling stuff; and while Jeter has postage stamp range, here's something even more compelling; let me know when Lester wins 5 GGs, as voted by his peers and coaches.

And before you poo-poo this award; the GG is a fraud; that is, unless a RS wins it. 

Also, comparisons were made here between Jeter, Drew, and Nomar, and I wasn't the one that started it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

comment removed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Compelling stuff; and while Jeter has postage stamp range, here's something even more compelling; let me know when Lester wins 5 GGs, as voted by his peers and coaches.

And before you poo-poo this award; the GG is a fraud; that is, unless a RS wins it. 

Also, comparisons were made here between Jeter, Drew, and Nomar, and I wasn't the one that started it.

Steven, the GG Awards are a joke.  Sometimes they get it right, and they have been doing better recently, but they are still a joke, even when the Red Sox win them.

They happen to be right about Pedroia and Victorino this year, but a few years back when they had Youkilis as one of their finalists at third base, that was a joke.

If someone tells me that someone won a GG, I put no stock into that at all.  I will look up the stats myself.

If someone tells me that someone won a Fielding Bible Award, I know we have a good fielder without having to look at any stats.

If you want to know who the best defenders are from year to year, look at the Fielding Bible winners.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Not even close.

Just brilliant...

Show me a post I made where I think a Red Sox player winning a GG is a big deal.

It's not. Sorry to burst your sour grapes bubble.

Lester wont win a GG.

He made one good play in the post season.

Just like Jeter.

That doesn't make him GG worthy.

Well, maybe in NY...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Not even close.

Just brilliant...

Show me a post I made where I think a Red Sox player winning a GG is a big deal.

It's not. Sorry to burst your sour grapes bubble.

Lester wont win a GG.

He made one good play in the post season.

Just like Jeter.

That doesn't make him GG worthy.

Well, maybe in NY...

Misrepresenting postseason history ('99, '00) , and using the sour grapes card out of the blue; need I say more?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

How many times did we say this about Mariano?

Superstars can play well into their 40s, and they can be effective. Average players start looking "average" around 35 years old.

Pitchers last longer, particularly RPs.  Peak years for position players is abot 28-32.  Modest declines to 36, then steep declines.

I wonder out loud how many Sox fans given the choice would have taken a healthy (2012) Jeter over Drew this year.

I wonder how many Red Sox fans would go to a Yankee board and not identify themselves as a Red Sox fan.

thank you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

tell me stat geeks

Not even decent Zac.

How much SS defense matters depends on how good the rest of your team is.  Jeter was able to offset his defensive deficiencies with his great offense and leadership.  The Yankees were good enough in other areas to compensate for Jeter's poor defense.

Why do we keep talking about it?   One never misses a chance to tweak the Yankees. ;-)

On a different note,

Hi Kimmi...you could look at it this way....i'm not saying in any way that this was the case, but i like to say...sometimes it better to be lucky than good...FTR, the Sox were plenty good..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Steven, the GG Awards are a joke.  Sometimes they get it right, and they have been doing better recently, but they are still a joke, even when the Red Sox win them.

They happen to be right about Pedroia and Victorino this year, but a few years back when they had Youkilis as one of their finalists at third base, that was a joke.

If someone tells me that someone won a GG, I put no stock into that at all.  I will look up the stats myself.

If someone tells me that someone won a Fielding Bible Award, I know we have a good fielder without having to look at any stats.

If you want to know who the best defenders are from year to year, look at the Fielding Bible winners.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

Yadi Molina is 6 for 8.....damn!!! Cool

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Now Cashman can move on to the more important holes he has to fill.  Waiting breathlessly for the Francisco Cervelli extension. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

tell me stat geeks

Not even decent Zac.

On a different note,

"calling the 2013 Red Sox lucky?"

Maybe Dodger Blue lucky.

Sections
Shortcuts