Jeter's out for the rest of the season, is his next stop Cooperstown?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Jeter's out for the rest of the season, is his next stop Cooperstown?

Tough news out of Yankee land today. Could this be it for Jeter? While I hate he uniform, I have great respect for the man who is and has been a class act. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Jeter's out for the rest of the season, is his next stop Cooperstown?

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Tough news out of Yankee land today. Could this be it for Jeter? While I hate he uniform, I have great respect for the man who is and has been a class act. 

If he's driving, he'll at least get off the road at Schenectady to take a leak. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I completely agree!  The guy is flat out a class act.  We should all feal privileged to have watching him play over the past 2 decades.  Revelling in his demise is beneath any true Red Sox fan.  I still hurt over the many times he did in our beloved Red Sox, but I couldn't be prouder of having beat him twice this century in a BIG WAY.  Some day we will all look back at these days as "the good old days."  What a run!  CLASS ACT!  & One of the best EVER!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If he wore a RS uniform it would have been very nice. I believe he will be back. A DH/3rd baseman next year or even first. There would be worse options.

But he will never leave Yankees to play else where.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

[QUOTE]

I completely agree!  The guy is flat out a class act.  We should all feal privilaged to have watching him play over the past 2 decades.  Revelling in his demise is beneath any true Red Sox fan.  I still hurt over the many times he did in our beloved Red Sox, but I couldn't be prouder of having beat him twice this century in a BIG WAY.  Some day we will all look back at these days as "the good old days."  What a run!  CLASS ACT!  & One of the best EVER!

[/QUOTE]

I concur and your testimonial is also a class act. Jeter ranks high on my list of yanks that I tip my cap to along with guys like Bobby Mercer & Don Matingly.

I don't doubt he'll work hard this offseason and likely will return. The Yankees have 14m option if he's healthy enough to pass a physical it's probably a no brainer that they pick it up. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

The Yankees have 14m option if he's healthy enough to pass a physical it's probably a no brainer that they pick it up.

where R U getting that from BT

cots says

14:$8M player option ($3M buyout)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Time for old man Jeter to hang it up and leave with Mo.  He's a Yankee, so he'll get no adulation from me regardless of his classiness.  There will be no shortage of endless hero worship going his way when he does leave.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

The Yankees have 14m option if he's healthy enough to pass a physical it's probably a no brainer that they pick it up.

where R U getting that from BT

cots says

14:$8M player option ($3M buyout)

Gm Zac,

I got it from MLB TV...I didn't check the accuracy thanks for setting it straight. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Jeter is done unless he wants to soak that ankle in juice !!!

Classy as always.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Jeter is done unless he wants to soak that ankle in juice !!!

just like Papi is done right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

if the yankees dont sign him to 5 years at $20MM per it will be a slap in the face.

True yankees deserve this contract.   Jeter will tell them so.....just like he did Nov/Dec 2010....

being able to actually play is overrated.  he needs to be paid for what he did in the 90's.  the $250MM he has made since does not matter.  he has earned $100MM more.  just ask him, he will tell you......

oh and for zac:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/11/24/yankees.jeter.close/index.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

He'll be back. No way a competitor like Derek Jeter will want to go out this way. He'll want to do  it on his own terms.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegrandsalami. Show thegrandsalami's posts

Might very well be done except for the fact that he has to do a retirement tour like Mo did this year.Can't see it ending it like this,I think that he has too much pride,he'll hit the rehab and be back next year,I think he will retire a shortstop not a third baseman or dh he will go out his way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

If he was smart he'd retire with dignity instead of ending up like so many washed up players trying to hang on. He should talk to Rivera.

Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

IMHO this can and should be handled very cleanly. 

Jeter should realize that he's not getting younger and his health on the whole isn't going to get any better.  He should realize that it's only going to tarnish his image to hang on too long and become a sympathy figure.  He needs to use this ankle injury as a reason to gracefully retire from playing and move on to another baseball related position within the organization.

The Yankee FO should realize that Jeter has been the face of the franchise for well over a decade now and in return for that they owe it to him to dignify his retirement by offering him that baseball related position within the organization as the Sox have done for Jason Veritek. 

Both parties should agree to a $5.5M buyout of next year's contract and use that buyout as his salary for 2014 for his new position.

Everyone gets something, nobody gets everything.  They hold a Derek Jeter Appreciation Day at Yankee Stadium where Jeter says all the right things, the ownership group says all the right things, the media fawns over Jeter, and he gets to retire gracefully.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

if the yankees dont sign him to 5 years at $20MM per it will be a slap in the face.

True yankees deserve this contract.   Jeter will tell them so.....just like he did Nov/Dec 2010....

being able to actually play is overrated.  he needs to be paid for what he did in the 90's.  the $250MM he has made since does not matter.  he has earned $100MM more.  just ask him, he will tell you......

oh and for zac:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/11/24/yankees.jeter.close/index.html

what's this link

is this the link where 'no credibility slasher' 

backs up his  tantrum statement, if so

surprise us and C&P your proof that you didn't make it up

why this link

why post an article  showing fans that contract talks

can be like making sausage

meaning it's best not to watch

seriously what was your point

was it about jeter asking for more when he was unsigned

cause I'm thinking

of a DH (U know the who loves milksakes) who has asks 4

more while signed several times

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

oh and for zac:

what's this link

is this the link where 'no credibility slasher' 

backs up his  tantrum statement, if so

surprise us and C&P your proof that you didn't make it up

why this link

why post an article  showing fans that contract talks

can be like making sausage

meaning it's best not to watch

seriously what was your point

was it about jeter asking for more when he was unsigned

cause I'm thinking

of a DH (U know the who loves milksakes) who has asks 4

more while signed several times

Looks like you got under his skin, Zac.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hate the Yankees and LA Lakers.  But I highly respect both Derek Jeter and Kobe Bryant. Both will be back and excel like they always do.   Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to S5's comment:

IMHO this can and should be handled very cleanly. 

Jeter should realize that he's not getting younger and his health on the whole isn't going to get any better.  He should realize that it's only going to tarnish his image to hang on too long and become a sympathy figure.  He needs to use this ankle injury as a reason to gracefully retire from playing and move on to another baseball related position within the organization.

The Yankee FO should realize that Jeter has been the face of the franchise for well over a decade now and in return for that they owe it to him to dignify his retirement by offering him that baseball related position within the organization as the Sox have done for Jason Veritek. 

Both parties should agree to a $5.5M buyout of next year's contract and use that buyout as his salary for 2014 for his new position.

Everyone gets something, nobody gets everything.  They hold a Derek Jeter Appreciation Day at Yankee Stadium where Jeter says all the right things, the ownership group says all the right things, the media fawns over Jeter, and he gets to retire gracefully.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Couldn't have said it better.  He may want to come back but will his body leI him?  

Sections
Shortcuts