Jim Joyce-- now has two of the worst calls in Major League History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Jim Joyce-- now has two of the worst calls in Major League History

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Craig was out of the basepath when he tripped over middy.  He had to take a few steps to his right after the trip to get back in the basepath.  Bad call

No. The base path is not the  chalk line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

In response to user_3952186's comment:

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

Why?  He made the right call.  The runner tripped over a player lying across the base path.  It's obstruction.  Unless the player is fielding a ball, the base path belongs to the runner.

Salty wears the horns for the loss.  Make a better throw and the player is out at 3rd.

How should the call be made if the runner goes backwards on the baseline? Craig went to the SS side of the bag, going to a space he already occupied and in so doing initiated the contact. Not saying there wasn't interference but I would tend to believe the rule is based on the fielder initiating the contact/interference, not the runner.

The call was made but I dont think it was the right call.

Rule 2.00 defines obstruction as a fielder impeding any runner.  Nothing bout baselines.   Nothing abut fielder's right to get get up.  Basically, like most rules, a lot is left up to the umpire, and Joyce felt Middlebrooks impeding Craig. 

And he might not have called it a such had Middlebrooks not lifted his lower legs, tripping Craig, but that is speculation.

Most baseball defintions are more vague than people realize...

Notin, after watching the replay several times, when Craig tripped, MWB legs were straight on the ground. The rule is vague. This play will force MLB address it during the offseason, for more clarification. 

He put them up.  Craig is not even at him in this pic.

Some have speculated Middlebrooks raised them to clear a path and not obstruct.  Othere that he did so knowing it was the only way to prevent Craig from scoring, and you never know when you will get away with it, or if Craig will stop running and argue an obstruction call (like Miguel Tejada in the 2003 ALDS), which would actually negate the obstruction call.

Where is Craig going in that pic? Is he planning on pitching instead of running?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

This thread kind of reminds me of the Salem witch trials.  You have all decided Joyce is a witch, but nobody from the outside (non-RSN), rational world agrees with you.  He made the right call, and claiming he made the wrong call makes you as irrational as our forebearers from Salem. 

No. He made the wrong call. 

In other news: If the series does go back to Boston, I hope they get to play it. Considering the old Massachusetts ordinance declaring goatees illegal unless a prior special license fee has been paidbefore wearing one in public. Sox might have to forfeit the series for lack of players. But hey, the law is the law if they interpret it that way.

LOL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Never mind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

If you limp your poor widdle self off the field or pretend to have to be carried out, does that exclude you from the post game questions about your ridiculous choice to run towards the middle of the field instead of down the OPEN basepath?

They interviewed umpires, Middlebrooks even a giddy Torre. Has anyone questioned Craig as to what happened? How convenient he gets to be removed from the situation without having to explain himself.

Oh, and he was soooooo badly injured, he played tonight. LMAO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

just my $.02.. had they deaded the play there's no way to know if they wouldn't have gotten the winner in anyway...the Sox could still have lost(not a sure result either)...even in the face of the rule the best thing may have been to put him on 3B and resume the game...@Kim..if the roles were reversed and the Sox were the beneficiary would you still have accused the ump of "clearly lying"??...during the 2012 season, on this board i once blasted Mark Teixiera for saying the same thing...IMO it's really bad form to accuse an ump of motive.....don't get me wrong Kim, as a Sox fan(you) i totally get your(and the other's anger) but you shouldn't say stuff like that....no judgement of you intended...

Yes, Jete. I would. I'm all about getting the calls right, and having a fair game for both teams. i absolutely 100% do not like bad umpire calls. For anyone.

And here's what was in the post I was responding to:

In the postgame interview, Joyce said, "The runner was on the chalk when he got up and attempted to run home."

That is 100% wrong and not even close to be correct.

That's clearly lying. He didn't say he was in the basepath, he actually made it MORE SPECIFIC by saying he was on the chalk. That NEVER happened. He couldn't have seen that. He's lying. I'm just amazed that he doesn't have to be confronted with the pic evidence after making such a statement. The statement just stood as it was, and still continues to stand without him having to correct it.

Joyce wasn't even watching the play. He ws looking at the ball down the line and turned just in time to see the trip over Middy. 

He missed the fact that the guy took a step towards 2B which caused Middy to now be in his line to home plate.

The chalk statement is pure fabrication, and he should be forced to answer to it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

just my $.02.. had they deaded the play there's no way to know if they wouldn't have gotten the winner in anyway...the Sox could still have lost(not a sure result either)...even in the face of the rule the best thing may have been to put him on 3B and resume the game...@Kim..if the roles were reversed and the Sox were the beneficiary would you still have accused the ump of "clearly lying"??...during the 2012 season, on this board i once blasted Mark Teixiera for saying the same thing...IMO it's really bad form to accuse an ump of motive.....don't get me wrong Kim, as a Sox fan(you) i totally get your(and the other's anger) but you shouldn't say stuff like that....no judgement of you intended...

Yes, Jete. I would. I'm all about getting the calls right, and having a fair game for both teams. i absolutely 100% do not like bad umpire calls. For anyone.

And here's what was in the post I was responding to:

In the postgame interview, Joyce said, "The runner was on the chalk when he got up and attempted to run home."

That is 100% wrong and not even close to be correct.

That's clearly lying. He didn't say he was in the basepath, he actually made it MORE SPECIFIC by saying he was on the chalk. That NEVER happened. He couldn't have seen that. He's lying. I'm just amazed that he doesn't have to be confronted with the pic evidence after making such a statement. The statement just stood as it was, and still continues to stand without him having to correct it.

Joyce wasn't even watching the play. He ws looking at the ball down the line and turned just in time to see the trip over Middy. 

He missed the fact that the guy took a step towards 2B which caused Middy to now be in his line to home plate.

The chalk statement is pure fabrication, and he should be forced to answer to it.

There were pics on Twitter showing that he wasn't looking at the play. And he was standing where a SS would be standing. Why was he there?

And I completely agree with the lie/fabrication whatever you want to call it being explained. There's NO WAY he saw that. And it seems to be a case where, even if he said that and made it up, he will never have to answer for that response. Totally, completely wrong.

Why aren't they asking him about that? Because the umpires can say/do whatever they want. And now they have Torre in their corner like they weren't bad enough before that.

Sections
Shortcuts