Jimmy Piersall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Jimmy Piersall

Anyone around here see him play? If so how would you describe his career on the field. Saw the movie long ago and just curious

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Jimmy Piersall

In response to sundvl20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone around here see him play? If so how would you describe his career on the field. Saw the movie long ago and just curious

[/QUOTE]

I haven't but I was told he was a great defensive OF'er.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

super defensive outfielder. Hurt his arm in an in-season exhibition throwing contest with Willie Mays. Never threw as well after that, but still a great center fielder Not a great hitter.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Karl Malden as his relentless ambitious father, and Psycho played Piersall, pretty darn good movie, Fear Strikes Out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Karl Malden as his relentless ambitious father, and Psycho played Piersall, pretty darn good movie, Fear Strikes Out.

[/QUOTE]

GREAT MOVIE! 

It's a case study in how a sensitive kid can be broken down over time by an overbearing parent.  It's clear he snapped.  Great player from what I understand, but very troubled.  Very sad to watch, but an unbelievable acting job by Maldon & "what's his name" from Psycho.

If you've never seen the movie, you are missing out on a little known classic!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

GREAT MOVIE! 

It's a case study in how a sensitive kid can be broken down over time by an overbearing parent.  It's clear he snapped.  Great player from what I understand, but very troubled.  Very sad to watch, but an unbelievable acting job by Maldon & "what's his name" from Psycho.

If you've never seen the movie, you are missing out on a little known classic!

[/QUOTE]

Anthony Perkins

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

speaking of, i wonder what happened to the Sox fan poster piersall?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm here Jete; have always considered you a classy poster. I don't participate much anymore/pretty much in the "read only" mode. Miss the older days banter and good baseball talk. Jimmy P. Covered the outfield as well as anyone I've watched.  I loved him as a kid (as well as Ted, Billy Goodman and others I could go on about). Piersall is still around, / I could never understand why he never gets involved. #37 was one popular player in my day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to piersall's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm here Jete; have always considered you a classy poster. I don't participate much anymore/pretty much in the "read only" mode. Miss the older days banter and good baseball talk. Jimmy P. Covered the outfield as well as anyone I've watched.  I loved him as a kid (as well as Ted, Billy Goodman and others I could go on about). Piersall is still around, / I could never understand why he never gets involved. #37 was one popular player in my day.

[/QUOTE]hey piersall!!...good to know you're still here..and thanks..Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

That was a pretty decent outfield. Williams, Piersall, and Jackie Jensen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Next to Williams, you could make a case that Piersall was the second most popular player on some very weak 50's teams. The outfield was very solid with Williams, Piersall and Jensen, left to right. Williams was not a good defender so Piersall had to cover more ground than the average center-fielder. He could spank the wall occasionally for doubles, good speed, but overall not a great hitter. He could make some circus catches and would have been a web-gem star if he played fifty years later. After Boston he went to Chicago and that is where he had his mental difficulties if I remember correctly. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Next to Williams, you could make a case that Piersall was the second most popular player on some very weak 50's teams. The outfield was very solid with Williams, Piersall and Jensen, left to right. Williams was not a good defender so Piersall had to cover more ground than the average center-fielder. He could spank the wall occasionally for doubles, good speed, but overall not a great hitter. He could make some circus catches and would have been a web-gem star if he played fifty years later. After Boston he went to Chicago and that is where he had his mental difficulties if I remember correctly. 

[/QUOTE]

Jimmy had his mental probs while in Boston, and spent time at Danvers facility. I remember as a boy driving down Rte. 1 from my (then) home in N.H, with my dad, and dad telling me Jimmy was upn that hill. I remember feeling real bad, and was thrilled when he got out. He had problems in Chicago as a radio commentator, saying critical stuff about players.

Seems like a good time to repeat this again (mentioned it at least once this summer) in response to modod;  I was volunteering at a golf tournament this summer, and had a nice chat with Mudcat Grant (a wonderful man, and a great pitcher). He told me of a time he walked Ted intentionally with the bases loaded, with his team up by 2.  He said he wasn't going to let Williams beat him.  He said he struck the next batter out.  Jensen! Mudcat won the game. (I remember Jensen being the RBI champ one year  with 115 as I remember).

jete, has Joel posted at all lately?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts