Jitterbug Jake gets the Sox going again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Jitterbug Jake gets the Sox going again

You know I'm reviving this thread as soon as Jake hits another dinger right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

AGONE may be seeing more fastballs because it allows opposing battery a better chance to throw out Jake. Not that you would understand that...

Ellsbury has speed to steal. Focus is on Agon, not serving up room service to get Ellsbury at second. Not that you would understand that. Ellsbury is getting on base because of Agon. I did my research, and location of fastballs is meatball city from 2009 to 2011 Agon.

Manny and Agon are the dog, plenty of tails in baseball. Only stupid people are infatuated with baseball tails.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

2006, Crisp injured.
    2007, Manny injured and not prime Manny every again
    2008 Crisp with higher OPS correctly shipped out for cost reasons only

Harness bragged about Crawford contract. Now he has to be the fool who defends it while minimizing the true star, the dog that wags the tail.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Bingo.
    Jacoby has hit every pitch in the book.
    Sutcliffe, who as a pitcher has always kept a close eye on centerfielders, said during the game tonight that he ranks Ellsbury right up there with the best he's seen

Every player in MLB for a time has hit every pitch in the book. But not on an elite level. You haven't looked at charts from 2009 and 2011. Steady diet of meatball get me over pitches spike in 2011.

Sutcliffe says Agon is MVP. he's right. he's wrong on fielding, and career numbers prove he's wrong. Ellsbury hype is a product of years of hype. Study the metrics, which will expose Ellsbury once he leaves Boston, virtually assured because of Crawford. Ellsbury has never rated high in CF for any 2 year period. This year, he's not even the best defensive CF in AL, in one simpleton rating outlet at fangraphs. Fangraphs is like programming for dummies, not an advanced metric evaluation.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Look softy, I love Gonzo. I was watching him with the Pads and was sure he'd be a star with the Sox. I don't think that downplays what Ells has done this year though. Jake is having a season for the ages. Does it help him that Gonzo is hitting behind him? Of course it does. It's also helped Big Papi to watch Gonzo going the other way. Gonzo has been a major positive influence on the Sox. That being said it's also helped Gonzo to have Jake on base when he comes up. Just like when the Yanks had Mick the Quick on base when Munson or Mattingly came up. I'm not sure where Ells' power has come from this year, but I'll take it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake gets the Sox going again:
    AGONE may be seeing more fastballs because it allows opposing battery a better chance to throw out Jake. Not that you would understand that... Ellsbury has speed to steal. Focus is on Agon, not serving up room service to get Ellsbury at second. Not that you would understand that. Ellsbury is getting on base because of Agon.I did my research, and location of fastballs is meatball city from 2009 to 2011 Agon. Manny and Agon are the dog, plenty of tails in baseball. Only stupid people are infatuated with baseball tails.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

You did nothing of the kind. You pasted this response. When I called you out on substantiating your claims of said research, you showed nothing.

You have slid into the slippery slope of fabrication.
    That's a kind way of saying you are a liar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

wrong, nyt board bully. You provided no research, and simply claimed it. I do what I do because of my research, and you say Agon remains in San Diego this spring because you are an idiot.

You haven't slipped down the slope of prevarication, you constantly post and claim research that isn't research at all. It's propaganda.

You are a liar. That's a kind way of saying you need to get help for a lot of idle time and a troubled mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Bingo. Jacoby has hit every pitch in the book . Sutcliffe, who as a pitcher has always kept a close eye on centerfielders, said during the game tonight that he ranks Ellsbury right up there with the best he's seen Every player in MLB for a time has hit every pitch in the book. But not on an elite level. You haven't looked at charts from 2009 and 2011. Steady diet of meatball get me over pitches spike in 2011. Sutcliffe says Agon is MVP. he's right. he's wrong on fielding, and career numbers prove he's wrong. Ellsbury hype is a product of years of hype. Study the metrics, which will expose Ellsbury once he leaves Boston, virtually assured because of Crawford. Ellsbury has never rated high in CF for any 2 year period. This year, he's not even the best defensive CF in AL, in one simpleton rating outlet at fangraphs. Fangraphs is like programming for dummies, not an advanced metric evaluation.     
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Ellsbury continues to rub your nose in it...reducing you to metrics quotes.  I think it is hysterical.  You watch the games hoping for an 0-4 night and then quote some metrics when you get disappointed.  You have moved from funny and entertaining to sad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Ellsbury and Crawford continue to rub your nose in it. One is on books for 20M a year, the other is trying to get 25M a year. One will be leaving shortly after his gonzo aided career year, the other will be here to rub your nose in it. Neither can slug v. Lhp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ellsbury and Crawford continue to rub your nose in it. One is on books for 20M a year, the other is trying to get 25M a year. One will be leaving shortly after his gonzo aided career year, the other will be here to rub your nose in it. Neither can slug v. Lhp.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Gonzo-aided, seeking 25 mil.  Can't slug vs. lefties.  Defensive metrically-proven to be a poor CF.  Yikes.  He sounds terrible.  Must be miserable to watch.  Sorry 'bout that Softy.  Can't be fun.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The offense sure was anemic until the return of Ellsbury. Seems to have woken Gonzalez from his slumber.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

What amazes me is that there were all sort of know-it-all posters at this site, who regurgitated nonsense about Ellsbury being a poor center fielder. Some numbskull talking-head would say something about the routes he took getting to the ball and these self-styled pundits would repeat it ad nauseum. I see him race to the gaps or to the walls in different parks and make sensational catches. He's one of the best defensive center fielders in the game, if not the best!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

SMH...

Great to seeing Jacoby doing so well, he really has become very important to this teams success.  I would love to see him here long term, but for now I'm ok with just enjoying the next two years...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

I'm sure sick of Jake's slap hitting.  Get the clown outta town!

I've been missing Gonzo hitting in the two spot.  All this talk of him hitting behind Jake, right?  All this time I thought he was batting third.

I think its Crawford batting BEHIND Jake that's made him done so well.  I mean he does bat BEHIND him, just like Gonzales does right?

Scratch that.  Its Varitek.  Definitely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

wrong, nyt board bully. You provided no research, and simply claimed it. I do what I do because of my research, and you say Agon remains in San Diego this spring because you are an idiot. You haven't slipped down the slope of prevarication, you constantly post and claim research that isn't research at all. It's propaganda. You are a liar. That's a kind way of saying you need to get help for a lot of idle time and a troubled mind.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

You are the one who came on here making claims about doing research on Jake's pitch accumulation. I called you out on it and asked you to post the data. You never did. You fabricated your claim. That makes you a liar.

Stop trying to divert the issue. Post the data or crawl away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id like softflaw to post some article where Ells was seeking 25mil per..That will NEVER happen though..With Jarred weaver signing a deal before FA and being a boras client, that gives some hope of signing Ells this offseason or next..6yrs 100mil about right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hard to tell. I'm sure Bora$$ is saying hold out for more, but maybe Jacoby likes it here and will take less.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If the team has a ready replacement come 2013 - one who they feel will cover
    75% of Jake's production, there's no way they'll overpay for the extra 25% when the difference (in production) can be made up elsewhere...especially if they have a cost-controllable replacement.

And I'll bet part of the reason for the $$$ commitment to CC was keeping Jake circa 2013 $$$ in mind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure I follow your point here harness.

In my opinion, if Theo thought Crawford was worth $20M/yr, thinking he was getting a high .700 overall OPS guy with speed and great defense, I think he will see Ellsbury as worth similar. The only issue is will CC's poor season scare the bejesus out of him to the point where he may never offer a 6+ year deal again.

If Ellsbury walks, I will hold the CC deal as the most significant factor in its cause, not because Ellsbury will want $20+M (and he rightfully can ask for it), but because we can't afford it due to CC's budget anchor.

The $20M x 7 deal is bound to severely restrict a few choices from here to what seems like eternity (2017).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm not sure I follow your point here harness. In my opinion, if Theo thought Crawford was worth $20M/yr, thinking he was getting a high .700 overall OPS guy with speed and great defense, I think he will see Ellsbury as worth similar. The only issue is will CC's poor season scare the bejesus out of him to the point where he may never offer a 6+ year deal again. If Ellsbury walks, I will hold the CC deal as the most significant factor in its cause, not because Ellsbury will want $20+M (and he rightfully can ask for it), but because we can't afford it due to CC's budget anchor. The $20M x 7 deal is bound to severely restrict a few choices from here to what seems like eternity (2017).
    Posted by moonslav59

My point is, committing the $$$ to CC was done through the window that Drew will be replaced by the farm, and possibly Jake also.

Keep in mind, the outfield needed an upgrade in 2011. They couldn't wait any longer, certainly not until 2013 to pay Jake. It's pay now or pay later...and the need was now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wished they had looked ahead a little farther behind.

Despite the clown's proclamation that Holliday is not an elite hitter. He'd have been a better deal than CC, and we'd have had him through last year's horrible OF performing season as well.

Berkman just hit his 30th and has an OPS ner 1.000.

Ordonez and Dunn have fallen off the end of the earth.

(Sidenote: the whole Drew was the best available OF'er at the time never stick with me either.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Matt Holliday has 67 RBI's. Is he a better value and fit than Crawford. Of course. Is he an elite hitter. No he is not. Terrible contract for an aging player who is most surely an PED abuser vis a vis NCSU.

Wasn't the loss Harnut, it was the pitiful Wastefield performance. Only a coward and a prevarication lunatic would defend the Wastefield circus. He needs to be released immediately.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Matt Holliday has 67 RBI's. Is he a better value and fit than Crawford. Of course. Is he an elite hitter. No he is not. Terrible contract for an aging player who is most surely an PED abuser vis a vis NCSU. Wasn't the loss Harnut, it was the pitiful Wastefield performance. Only a coward and a prevarication lunatic would defend the Wastefield circus. He needs to be released immediately.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Yeah, let's release every pitcher who has a terrible performance.

Holliday/Berkman may end up perennial DL's before the CC deal is half over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No, release fat 45 year old pitchers who have ERA's over 5 for over 2 years and who are an albatross to losing games.

Berk is ancient. Matt is old in miles. Crawford is old in miles. All value mistakes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Matt Holliday has 67 RBI's. Is he a better value and fit than Crawford. Of course. Is he an elite hitter. No he is not. Posted by S0ftl@w

Now, it's about RBIs? Your criteria changes faster Obama's.

He's better and cheaper than CC. You were against signing him and look what we got instead.

He has the 11th MLB highest OPS this year (just after Fielder).
    He's 9th in OPS since 2010 (ahead of Youk, Agon, Fielder, Tulo, and Papi).
    He's 11th since 2009 (ahead of ARod, Mauer, Teix and more).
    He's 5th best since 2008 (ahead of many "elite" hitters).

Oh and by the way, he's 11th in RBI since 2008  (ahead of Kemp, Cano, Hamilton and just behind ARod and Papi).

I guess we could argue semantics, but to me top 11 out of hundreds and hundreds of players is elite.

Sections
Shortcuts