Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense

Our top 5 hitters in the lineup have .370+ OBPs!
    (3 are .400+)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense:
    [QUOTE]Our top 5 hitters in the lineup have .370+ OBPs! (3 are .400+)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Bellsbury is right at .370, ready to watch it nosedive towards his career numbers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Moon, agreed that the top 5 hitter's OBP is driving this team's run scoring potential, and hopefully with Crawford coming back we can add another there but the last 3 slots are not giving us encouraging numbers at the moment. Scutaro, Salty/Tek and Drew.

We can fix the Drew problem with Reddick, as I think we should starting now. 
     think we are going to have to live with the other 2 slots, even if Lavarnway becomes available soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ellsbury is also on pace to have 90 RBI's from the lead off spot.  That either has to be a testament to the bottom 3 guys or Ellsbury's ability to hit with RISP. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Moon, agreed that the top 5 hitter's OBP is driving this team's run scoring potential, and hopefully with Crawford coming back we can add another there ...

I hope you are right, but CC has only been over .357 once and has never been over .365 in 10 MLB seasons.

but the last 3 slots are not giving us encouraging numbers at the moment.
    Scutaro, Salty/Tek and Drew. We can fix the Drew problem with Reddick, as I think we should starting now.  I think we are going to have to live with the other 2 slots, even if Lavarnway becomes available soon.

I'm fine with the "other 2 slots". Salty & VTek have been doing a great job at the plate after their slow starts.
    Here's our hottest batters over the last 28 days (before tonight):
    1) Pedey 1.163
    2) Redd   1.044
    3) Youk    .994
    4) Ellsb    .926
    5) VTek   .890
    6) AGon   .827
    7) Salty   .747
    8) DMac  .640
    9) Scut   .638
    10) Papi  .627
    11) Drew .515

VTek and Salty had the 4th and 5th best OPS in June (over 40 PAs).
    VTek was 3rd and Salty 7th in May (40+ PAs).

Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softy likes to pick apart "Jake" for this season's abnormally low numbers vs LHPs. Last I looked, Jake had a better OPS vs LHPs than AGon this year. In 15 less PAs, Jake has 12 extra base hits vs LHPs to AGon's 4.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, but AGONE's dingers go further...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Softy likes to pick apart "Jake" for this season's abnormally low numbers vs LHPs. Last I looked, Jake had a better OPS vs LHPs than AGon this year. In 15 less PAs, Jake has 12 extra base hits vs LHPs to AGon's 4.

But doesn't Softy LOVE to use a players career avg to water down how well a player is....even if that player is just entering their prime and seen almost all their numbers increase every year??? 

Well regardless as Softy would say "just wait for him to come back down to his career avg."

which in this case for Ellsbury vs. LHP he should start hitting around .295

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I really don't get it with your fixation on Ellsbury, dumping on him every chance you get. You know he has great career splits but you fixate on his LH splits this year because you have NOTHING else you can cite on him. He's already passed his career norms for doubles and HR. He's going to have a great year no matter how many times you disparage him. Find someone else to dump on because no one gives you any credibility at all on the Ellsbury issue. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean like Jed, Wake, Tek, Lackey, CC, Jenks, Scutty...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Softy likes to pick apart "Jake" for this season's abnormally low numbers vs LHPs. Last I looked, Jake had a better OPS vs LHPs than AGon this year. In 15 less PAs, Jake has 12 extra base hits vs LHPs to AGon's 4.

Hey Moon, does that hateful loser Softy still post here under whatever name he can find that won't get banned?

yet again the truth and stats have humiliated him this season... the man has been proved a shameful non-fan (and racist) 4 seasons running. I pity him and his hatred of half this team as the Sox play solid ball and are in 1st despite many injuries.

Go Sox!

Softy the sad fool is no fan of the team.... he screams his drivel into the wind and lives to hurt and demean others. Why give him the time of day in his lonely life, other than to laugh at him.... well he can always get a frown and slow shake of the head that someone can actually be such scum...

Hope all is well with you!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nice to see you Rame. Hope all is well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

My favorite line:  "Trade him now while his value is high."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense : Hey Moon, does that hateful loser Softy still post here under whatever name he can find that won't get banned? yet again the truth and stats have humiliated him this season... the man has been proved a shameful non-fan (and racist) 4 seasons running. I pity him and his hatred of half this team as the Sox play solid ball and are in 1st despite many injuries. Go Sox! Softy the sad fool is no fan of the team.... he screams his drivel into the wind and lives to hurt and demean others. Why give him the time of day in his lonely life, other than to laugh at him.... well he can always get a frown and slow shake of the head that someone can actually be such scum... Hope all is well with you!
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Softy has fashioned a "no lose" position where it comes to Ellsbury.  Initially, Softy states numbers it will take for Ellsbury to be a good leadoff hitter never thinking that he will attain those stats.  When it is clear that Ellsbury will exceed Softy's expectations, Softy moves the goalposts and says the only reason Ellsbury is achieving those stats is because he hits in front of Pedey and Agon.  If that is the case, there can be no satisfying the Soft one.  So, let him wallow in his own misery as Ellsbury continues to establish himself as the best leadoff hitter in the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He's looking more and more like a Crawford-like player, a speedy guy who hits for more power as he enters his mid- to late-20's.  Does that mean he's looking for a Crawford-like contract?  I'd guess so, given his agent.  I can't imagine there is room for another huge contract on this team, though I'd admit to not thoroughly analyzing contracts coming off the books and prospects that will play on the cheap for a while. Ells will hit UFA, not a doubt.  Trade or re-sign him?  Tough call.     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The Red Sox can afford to let a guy walk when he is too expensive, trading him away and losing months, if not years of playing time from the player is done by smaller budget teams who cannot afford to replace the player with another FA. Ells will be here until at least his FA year. He's been a terrific player and I love him in the lineup, especially in tandem with Crawford. Exciting player, exciting team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox can afford to let a guy walk when he is too expensive, trading him away and losing months, if not years of playing time from the player is done by smaller budget teams who cannot afford to replace the player with another FA. Ells will be here until at least his FA year. He's been a terrific player and I love him in the lineup, especially in tandem with Crawford. Exciting player, exciting team.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I should have added "...or let him walk at FA" to my post, which is entirely possible too, especially if the FA/draft pick system remains in place.  It won't be cheap to replace him though.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A couple of points.

First, Pedroia following Jake wasn't helping for big chunks of this year and only lately has been a big factor.

Second, this team has five very good hitters/scorers/rbi'ers in Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Youkilis, and Ortiz.

Go look at the individual batting stats for the Sox, and those five lead--by a wide margin--in hits, runs, rbi's, and OPS.  Crawford is well behind all five in those numbers.  Salty/Tek, if you combine them, aren't too bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In 2010, our combined catchers were 8th in WAR. This year they are 10th. 

Our catchers are 5th in Slg% and 7th in OPS (just .004 behind 6th place).

When you consider the horrific offensive start to the season Salty and VTek had, our catchers have been close to the best in MLB offensively since May 1st.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox can afford to let a guy walk when he is too expensive, trading him away and losing months, if not years of playing time from the player is done by smaller budget teams who cannot afford to replace the player with another FA. Ells will be here until at least his FA year. He's been a terrific player and I love him in the lineup, especially in tandem with Crawford. Exciting player, exciting team.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.
    That's what the dim-lights miss. They see a CC clone in Jake and thus one becomes expendable. Their true worth is in the CRAWBURY tandem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]My favorite line:  "Trade him now while his value is high."
    Posted by dskjold[/QUOTE]

The, he said his value didn't go down after losing a year of control last year. Go figure.

What he fails to judge is what Jake can do for us until he becomes a FA vs what we would get for him in trade.

He does not think it is possible for a player entering his prime to put up better than "career norm" numbers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Good to see Bellsbury lead us in another victory tonight, along with Crawbust. Weiland pitched a great game and Aceves performed like he always has, while the two jitterbugs were unable to jitter their way home.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

When CRAWBURY clicks, they usually win.
    When they don't, the team follows suit.

Aceves in relief:      4-0 2.63 ERA  1.069 WHIP
    Aceves as a starter: 1-1 5.14 ERA 1.571 WHIP

Even as a cyborg, UR not too swift.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense : Softy has fashioned a "no lose" position where it comes to Ellsbury.  Initially, Softy states numbers it will take for Ellsbury to be a good leadoff hitter never thinking that he will attain those stats.  When it is clear that Ellsbury will exceed Softy's expectations, Softy moves the goalposts and says the only reason Ellsbury is achieving those stats is because he hits in front of Pedey and Agon.  If that is the case, there can be no satisfying the Soft one.  So, let him wallow in his own misery as Ellsbury continues to establish himself as the best leadoff hitter in the game.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Ellsbury has met the predictions I made for him as long ago as the spring of 2008 almost perfectly... I said a Damon player, other than the injured year, he has been that, a few less Hr's and a lot more steals. Solid leadoff guy.

Softy said he would be a 4th OFer, AAAA guy, who'd never have an OBP over .340 and should be a 9 hitter in a platoon or moved to the NL

Boy was he wrong

But thats what you get when you spew bile, hate half the players on the team and come out with racist statements about Ellsbury during his rookie year. A sad human being.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Softy your a disgrace to Red Sox fans.