Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PapiFan. Show PapiFan's posts

Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense

For the Ells basher who went off by saying Ells was having a Rickey Henderson caliber season you should actually know your facts before you speak.  Rickey's career high in RBI is 74.  His career high in BA is 325.  His career high in HR is 28.  Where Rickey has the clear advantage is OBP as his CAREER OBP was 401.  In Ricky's whole career he only had two seasons in which he slugged over 500.  Rickey's career high in hits is only 179.

Jacoby in comparison is slugging over 500 currently.  And is on pace for 25 HR and 92 RBI and a 316 BA.  He also on pace for 209 hits this season and already had 188 hits in 2009, which bested Rickey's career best.  He was not the walk machine that Rickey was, but he certainly can hit just as well as Rickey.  So this idea that Jacoby is not having one of the best seasons for a leadoff hitter in quite a while is off the mark. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The reason Ricky never had so many hits is becuase he walked so much. Batting .325 in a season is a good hitter and a better stat to use that total hits per season.

Career slugging %:
    Ricky:    .419
    Jacoby: .428

Ricky did have a .577 slugging year once, but that was way above his norm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense : I doubt Jake will be worth two picks in two and a half years. Possibly a Type B, if he can stay on the field while playing for the Los Angerles Dodgers.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw[/QUOTE]

softy people make mistakes but only stupid fools like do it over and over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense : I dunno Lloyd, I think only a professional psych could really address this.  Personally I think Softy is a fan of the team, just an especially neurotic type of fan who gets more of a buzz from his own judgments and predictions than he does from the team's success.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

B I N G O

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That may be correct about softy, but I don't think this guy is the real softy.  The real softy is missing.  Billyboy or whatever had confronted bettersoftthanlaw in earlier posts for following him and impersonating him.  Of course, I would never put it past someone so narcissistic to create an alter ego and argue with himself....he seems to enjoy being in disagreement with everyone and everything. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Thank you, amatuer psychologists, but I am perfectly healthy. You are the same people that believe homosexuality is a physical manifestation rather than a psychological deficiancy, which makes sense to your incorrect snap judgements.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]That may be correct about softy, but I don't think this guy is the real softy.  The real softy is missing.  Billyboy or whatever had confronted bettersoftthanlaw in earlier posts for following him and impersonating him.  Of course, I would never put it past someone so narcissistic to create an alter ego and argue with himself....he seems to enjoy being in disagreement with everyone and everything. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

You can say that again...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you, amatuer psychologists, but I am perfectly healthy. You are the same people that believe homosexuality is a physical manifestation rather than a psychological deficiancy, which makes sense to your incorrect snap judgements.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw[/QUOTE]

ummmmm riiiiiight. I don't think I've ever made any posts sharing my views on homosexuality, and It's also a taaaad bit off topic.  And just for the record suggesting that homosexuality is some type of disorder is the same type of talk that spawns bigotry and hate......but I wouldn't expect anything less from sof.......OMG IT IS YOU!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think betterthansoftlaw does a great impersonation of the real softy, only funnier. He obviuously is well versed in softy lore, so he must be a regular.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

[QUOTE]I think betterthansoftlaw does a great impersonation of the real softy, only funnier. He obviuously is well versed in softy lore, so he must be a regular.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Leave the impersonations for Pike and Harness, Moonslow. I don't need to fall to such a level.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

perfect!

Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The real Softy was a racist who was wrong about Ells, hated half the members on this team and was ont his board to attack, demean adn cause conflict

if he is 'missing' than we should celebrate, if eh is here it is to be reviled and shortly banned

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

OMG, perhaps he's southern kin?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5aNn4Sfmas

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You are the same people that believe homosexuality is a physical manifestation rather than a psychological deficiancy, which makes sense to your incorrect snap judgements."

The former view has been validated through careful research not snap judgements. The latter view is based on prejudice which is hauntingly familiar to how you place players in a hate zone and nothing they can do on the field can get them out of it. So, in a sense, the shoe does fit you. Of course, like most folks who indulge in prejudice you have scurried around and gathered some questionable "facts" to support your conclusions. As certain players continue to defy your condemnations, it makes it that much harder for you to engage in a rational discourse. But of course that's how you like it. 

There would be an easy way around all of this for you: to admit that you are wrong every now and then. Even the smartest baseball minds are wrong. In fact, the enduring appeal of sports has a lot to do with the fact that outcomes are unpredictable. The desire to be right at all times is a pathology as well. 

Since you seem to be interested in pathology, I'll refer you to some very interesting stuff on pathological narcissism: 

I'm not in a position to diagnose you but I must say some of the info here hits close to home, eh? 

Examples: 

""The pathological narcissist, in my view, is a person obsessed with matters of superiority and inferiority, in both the moral and the material spheres. The pathological narcissist maintains a tight grip on a brittle, delusional sense of omnipotent superiority as a defense against deeply repressed shame, and feelings of inferiority and envy, which have typically been traumatically instilled and reinforced in the family of origin.... the pathological narcissist comes to believe in his unquestionable righteousness, viewing those who disagree or challenge him as hostile, cruel, crazy, ignorant, and/or morally repulsive. Because the pathological narcissist believes he is always right, never wrong, those who have any conflict or grievance with him are kept on the defensive because, according to the pathological narcissist, they are always wrong, never right. The pathological narcissist portrays his opponents and rivals as crazy, inferior, and/or as morally reprehensible. The obsession with unassailable, unimpeachable perfection represents the narcissist's desperate need for control and is the link between narcissism and authoritarianism."

I would ask my fellow board members if this reminds you of anyone. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense:
    [QUOTE]Seriously, Ellsbury seems to be emerging into a Rickey Henderson type force in the leadoff spot right before our eyes.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Hey carnie,

Looks like they'll archive this soon.  SO FEW REPLIES!!!!!   :o)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Do you think Ellsbury will ask for Crawford money in order for the Sox to lock him up?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think Ellsbury will ask for Crawford money in order for the Sox to lock him up?
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

And then some!  My guess is Boras wants 160+ . Jake is developing into a far better hitter than Crawford.  This season Jake's stats are (so far ) above anything Crawford did last season which was his best ever.  Jakes OPS in '11 .884 Crawford's last season .851.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think Ellsbury will ask for Crawford money in order for the Sox to lock him up?
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]I think if they offered him the same contract as Crawford it would get it done. While it would be nice to see Jake locked up now imo, I also don't see the harm in waiting a year or so to get it done either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I dont think the choice is ours: it is all up to Bora$$ and I don't recall him ever extending for bigtime money. He loves to go FA and get out his glossy player portfolio to lug from team to team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think the choice is ours: it is all up to Bora$$ and I don't recall him ever extending for bigtime money. He loves to go FA and get out his glossy player portfolio to lug from team to team.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]True enough. I think that may be a good thing in this case. As good as Ells has been this year, I wouldn't mind seeing him do it at this level for at least a year or two before the Sox committed to him long term.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense : True enough. I think that may be a good thing in this case. As good as Ells has been this year, I wouldn't mind seeing him do it at this level for at least a year or two before the Sox committed to him long term.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]I don't think they can really afford to commit Carl Crawford years & dollars to Ellsbury.

The most likely track is that the RS and Ellsbury work through the arbitration years and the RS collect their picks at the conclusion of the relationship or somebody absolutely falls out of bed in a trade scenario at some point.

So somewhere in the not too distant future the endless Ellsbury bashing by he who I have put on ignore will gracefully end, with the troll insisting to the end he was right. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jitterbug Jake is driving the Red Sox offense : I don't think they can really afford to commit Carl Crawford years & dollars to Ellsbury. The most likely track is that the RS and Ellsbury work through the arbitration years and the RS collect their picks at the conclusion of the relationship or somebody absolutely falls out of bed in a trade scenario at some point. So somewhere in the not too distant future the endless Ellsbury bashing by he who I have put on ignore will gracefully end, with the troll insisting to the end he was right. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]That's always a possibility too, especially if the FA/Draft Pick system is still in place. I do think the Sox could afford both Crawford and Ells though. It would definitely cost them in luxury tax $$$, but if you have to compete in the same division as the Yankees...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We can afford Ellsbury at near CC numbers, but would have to rely on kids to fill other key roles.

We will lose Drew's $14M/yr, and maybe Scutaro's $5.5M, Papi's $12.5M, Papelbon's $10.33M, Wheeler $3M, and more.

It would be tight, but I think we could keep Papi, Paps and extend Ellsbury and still stay under the cap if we went with Reddick/Kalish/others in RF, Lowrie, Navarro, and Iglesias at SS, and no new FA pitchers. We'd likely have issues down the line: extending Buch and eventually replacing Papi and upgrading the pitchers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]We can afford Ellsbury at near CC numbers, but would have to rely on kids to fill other key roles. We will lose Drew's $14M/yr, and maybe Scutaro's $5.5M, Papi's $12.5M, Papelbon's $10.33M, Wheeler $3M, and more. It would be tight, but I think we could keep Papi, Paps and extend Ellsbury and still stay under the cap if we went with Reddick/Kalish/others in RF, Lowrie, Navarro, and Iglesias at SS, and no new FA pitchers. We'd likely have issues down the line: extending Buch and eventually replacing Papi and upgrading the pitchers.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Buch is under control through 2017 at this point.

I would think any extension would probably only take Ellsbury through 3 years, with an option perhaps for a 4th. The package probably would end up at $36M - $40M with an AAV of $12M?

But it doesn't fit the profile of how Boras advises clients, so I sincerely doubt the RS can get that done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Jitterbug Jake with another dinger tonight. If he keeps this up he'll be a 30/30 guy this year.