Joe Maddon whining about strike zone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Joe Maddon whining about strike zone

This is a couple of paragraphs from an article on WEEI.com,I've also provided a link to read the rest of the article:
     http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21140286/maddon-rays-hitters-were-great-disadvantage

Rays manager Joe Maddon didn't hold back his criticism of home plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt and his strike zone on Friday that led to his ejection prior to the bottom of the sixth inning of Boston's 4-3 win over Tampa Bay Friday at Fenway Park. Several Rays were called out on strikes, including John Jaso to end the top of the sixth and B.J. Upton an inning earlier. Both strikeouts came on pitches that appeared well outside. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Joe Maddon whining about strike zone

he was whining  most of those calles were dead on strikes,,,his players choked in a big game.....truth hurts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He did have a beef on those two called third strikes.  MLB Gameday shows that both pitches were outside.  The one on Jaso was in the borderline zone, the one on Upton was a no-doubt ball.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've said this before here but it may bear repeating.

When Remy was out Orsillo had Frank Viola in the booth with him occasionally and Viola explained some of the "outside strikes".  Paraphrased:  'Umpires are instructed to set up on the inside shoulder of the catcher. When they're in that position they can SEE the inside edge of the plate, but they're guessing as to where the outside edge is.'
    IMO they also tend to give the benefit of any doubt to the pitcher, especially when the pitcher is an established one like Beckett (or most especially Rivera).  That means that batters MUST protect that outside few inches off the plate, especially on two-strike counts.

My question is, since it's obvious to those of us who watch games on tv, Viola knows that, and WE know that, why don't the managers and players know that? 

Quite whining.  And I don't care if you're Madden or Tito or Youk or anyone else.  You KNOW what's happening.  You KNOW that if you take that outside pitch you're risking getting called out on a bad pitch.  So just quit whining and do what you have to do. If you take a chance and "take" that pitch - and lose the gamble - just go sit down. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He just wanted to win the game in his every way!!!  I like him as a manger, but I do think he whined too much about the umpiring.  He sounded like Lebron James where he whined too much about the officating of the game!!

Go Sox

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Maddon needs to stop whining. If a pitch is close and the batter takes it, then it is the batters fault if it is called a strike. This is the same as when AGon struck out to end the game against Rivera recently. There was too much whining then also. Why leave it up to the umps. Maddon should just shut up and accept it. His team lost and the Sox won. End of story. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In Response to Re: Joe Maddon whining about strike zone:
    [QUOTE]He just wanted to win the game in his every way!!!  I like him as a manger, but I do think he whined too much about the umpiring.  He sounded like Lebron James where he whined too much about the officating of the game!! Go Sox
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]
    =====================================================
      If the tables were turned,we`d all be whining about those called 3rd strikes. Just like Gonzo whined about that called 3rd strike with bases loaded to end the game a few weeks ago. 2 strikes,SWING THE @#%^ BAT!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he was a bit over the top, coming out of the dugout to ask about a strike call is something you deserved to be ejected for. see ya Joe

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Semantics on Joe Maddon's part. Asking about the width of the strike zone immediately after your batter is called out is argueing balls and strikes. It was imaginative however, you must give him credit for that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This is a very telling quote from the article:

"Obviously, under these circumstances, and I'm all for the fact that the Red Sox beat us tonight, God bless them, they beat us tonight. But, our hitters were at a great disadvatage today, they really were," Maddon said. "And I definitely saw it as being one-sided."

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I'm a true believer in ''it all evens out''

but the 4 guys on the BB show ( all boston writters )

where KSM

agreed that last night boston made out pretty dam good

like JB mentioned

no harm in madon setting up the umps for today

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Does anybody remember the Yankee series last week?  The Sox were the whiners in that series.  As long as MLB makes the strike call a subjective call this argument will always be there.  Personally I have no issue with the calls...they are what they are.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

I thought that the thread was about Maddon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I've said this before here but it may bear repeating. When Remy was out Orsillo had Frank Viola in the booth with him occasionally and Viola explained some of the "outside strikes".  Paraphrased:  'Umpires are instructed to set up on the inside shoulder of the catcher. When they're in that position they can SEE the inside edge of the plate, but they're guessing as to where the outside edge is.' IMO they also tend to give the benefit of any doubt to the pitcher, especially when the pitcher is an established one like Beckett (or most especially Rivera).  That means that batters MUST protect that outside few inches off the plate, especially on two-strike counts.   My question is, since it's obvious to those of us who watch games on tv, Viola knows that, and WE know that, why don't the managers and players know that?  Quite whining.  And I don't care if you're Madden or Tito or Youk or anyone else.  You KNOW what's happening.  You KNOW that if you take that outside pitch you're risking getting called out on a bad pitch.  So just quit whining and do what you have to do. If you take a chance and "take" that pitch - and lose the gamble - just go sit down. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

S5,

Every umpire's zone is slightly different. The one thing I will say is they never guess. They may miss a call but it's not becasue they're guessing...It's more a question of how much of the outside corner they give both of the pitches that Madden had issues with last night were closer than the on screen amica pitch zones showed. The one to Jaso was on the black at the bottom of the knee, the one to Upton was a cutter that appeared to clip the outside corner, that was framed nicely by Varitek, it was off the plate but it wasn't aggregious by any means it might have missed by a half a ball...

Maddon knows that his guy got some calls too, he only made a big deal out of it becasue his guys were probably chriping in the dugout and So he went out and took the bullet so one of them wouldn't...He's a savy guy and by taking it to blue, his boys could get back to playing baseball...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Maddon was right to complain. Not only were the calls against Upton and Jaso awful but Pedroia got a walk when Shields had him struck out in a key situatiuon. Last night we got the calls. Often it's been the other way round.  Because of the technology the home plate umpiring has been shown to be mostly terrible across the board (the same is true in the NFL but thankfully replay solves that problem). Don't known what can be done but it can only be more glaring if they do nothing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As long as the umpire is consistent, then everyone needs to get over balls and strikes. When the umpire is all over the place, then you can b*tch. Madden knows he had to have yesterday's game. Now his worst pitching scenario is upon him and if the Rays cannot beat Lester tonight, then the fat lady will start her warm-ups.

NY - Boston ALCS

The way it is supposed to be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a true believer in ''it all evens out'' but the 4 guys on the BB show ( all boston writters ) where KSM agreed that last night boston made out pretty dam good like JB mentioned no harm in madon setting up the umps for today
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Hey Zach...

I get Maddon's motives, does he have a beef? maybe on the Upton called strike, The one to Jaso was on the black and even the one to Upton frankly wasn't more than a half a ball off the plate...Too close to take with two strikes...It was a well thrown ball that was framed by a veteren catcher on a hitter that was chirping about the zone all night...Welcome to the big leagues....If you remember in an earlier at bat Upton took a curve down fat city with Jennings running for a called third strike and chirped at blue all the way back to the dugout. So if you're going to chirp on a ball that was about as center cut as a curve ball can be. Most umpires will get a bit ticked off with a hitter who chirps on a ball that is clearly a strike and then keeps chirping all the way back tp the dugout...we don't know what he said but my guess is that it did factor into blues desire to ring him up the next time he came to bat...Beckett executed a good pitch, blue rung him up...

Overall I though home plate guy did a pretty decent job most of the night...aside from Upton I didn't see a ton of chirping from either side. His zone was top of knees to the belt buckle with about and about half a ball on the outer half...

Every ump's zone is slighty different then the next...none of them ever call a perfect game if we use a slide rule to measure the accuracy of the strike zone more often than not they're within they're personal zone....sometimes they call a ball off the plate in a big moment that is cleary a ball...part of the game...

Sections
Shortcuts