Joe Nathan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Joe Nathan

Joe Nathan blew  a save against the Yankees. As I remember he was never dpendable against the Yankees. I remember him in the 2004 playoffs where he blew the save against the Yankees. I remember him in the 2009 Division Series in game 3. The Twins just took the lead and he was hyperventilating before he had to go into the game. He promptly blew the save and the Yankees won the game. Tonight he gave up a triple to Nunez with Vernon Wells on second base. The Brett Lillibridge put the Yankees ahead with a single.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Joe Nathan

You know youre in trouble when Lillebridge burns you. Thats like being the starting LB'er on your HS football team, and getting your butt kicked by the french horn player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You can take Joe out of Minny, but you can't take choking against the Yankees out of Joe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Yankee lineup tonight looked pathetic, too.  After Cano, they had a bunch of guys who would be bench players on any other team, including Houston and Miami. 

That is why I think Girardi is a serious candidate for Manager of the Year...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

You can take Joe out of Minny, but you can't take choking against the Yankees out of Joe.

Post of the day and it's still early! LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The Yankee lineup tonight looked pathetic, too.  After Cano, they had a bunch of guys who would be bench players on any other team, including Houston and Miami. 

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

Disagree, Yankees starting pitching rotation is as good as anyone in AL or maybe a bit better than Boston right now.  That is the reason why they are still in the playoff contention.  Once Kuroda or Sabathia goes down, they are done!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldnt give Girardi Manager of the year. Hes playing what he has. Wells, Hafner and a couple others overachieved big time the first couple months and have come back to earth. NYY pitching has been good and thats the only reason theyare where they are. I hardly think its due to great managing.

Id pick the Indians or the Sox for obvious reasons. Not even sure if Girardi is in my top 5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I wouldnt give Girardi Manager of the year. Hes playing what he has. Wells, Hafner and a couple others overachieved big time the first couple months and have come back to earth. NYY pitching has been good and thats the only reason theyare where they are. I hardly think its due to great managing.

Id pick the Indians or the Sox for obvious reasons. Not even sure if Girardi is in my top 5.

It's not just a matter of playing what he has, but it's also playing matchups and putting his players in a position where they can best succeed.  Farrell seems to have the magic touch for doing that.  For instance, pushing Lester's start back until last night and having Dempster start on Sunday resulted in wins in both games, and Lester looked really good last night. 

I haven't watched Girardi's moves closely enough to know how he's doing in that regard, but I do recall one game in which he put a badly slumping Vernon Wells in to pinch hit against a predominantly fastball pitcher, and Wells came through with a big hit, resulting in a Yankees win.  A good manager has a knack for that type of thing.

Also, IMO, the way a manager manages the clubhouse goes a long way in what happens on the field.  We saw that in the negative direction with BobbyV last year and we're seeing that in the positive this year with Farrell.  Perhaps Girardi is having that kind of impact on his players?  He also has a lot to deal with in terms of keeping the team focused with all the Arod/Biogenesis stuff going on.

I'm not saying that Girardi should be Manager of the Year, but considering all that he's had to deal with, he should definitely be in consideration.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

LOL Bob.

I was flipping back and forth between that game and the Os game, and was watching the Rangers and the Royals simulaneously working on blowing the saves.   Thankfully, KC held on.

Nathan took what could have been a perfect baseball night and made it just a very good baseball night.  Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not just a matter of playing what he has, but it's also playing matchups and putting his players in a position where they can best succeed.  Farrell seems to have the magic touch for doing that.  For instance, pushing Lester's start back until last night and having Dempster start on Sunday resulted in wins in both games, and Lester looked really good last night. 

I haven't watched Girardi's moves closely enough to know how he's doing in that regard, but I do recall one game in which he put a badly slumping Vernon Wells in to pinch hit against a predominantly fastball pitcher, and Wells came through with a big hit, resulting in a Yankees win.  A good manager has a knack for that type of thing.

Also, IMO, the way a manager manages the clubhouse goes a long way in what happens on the field.  We saw that in the negative direction with BobbyV last year and we're seeing that in the positive this year with Farrell.  Perhaps Girardi is having that kind of impact on his players?  He also has a lot to deal with in terms of keeping the team focused with all the Arod/Biogenesis stuff going on.

I'm not saying that Girardi should be Manager of the Year, but considering all that he's had to deal with, he should definitely be in consideration.

[/QUOTE] psst Kimmi, if you're nice to me  i won't tell Fred and Pumps you mentioned BV Tongue OutWink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

psst Kimmi, if you're nice to me  i won't tell Fred and Pumps you mentioned BV Tongue OutWink

LOL Jete.  How can I not be nice to you?  Kiss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to notin's comment:

-Shel Silverstein

While you have a point, I think it's Farrell or Francona.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Farrell argument is obvious, but don't forget the Yankees do have a better record thsn the Indians.  And in a tougher division with a much more impaired roster...

-Shel Silverstein

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Joe Nathan blew  a save against the Yankees. As I remember he was never dpendable against the Yankees. I remember him in the 2004 playoffs where he blew the save against the Yankees. I remember him in the 2009 Division Series in game 3. The Twins just took the lead and he was hyperventilating before he had to go into the game. He promptly blew the save and the Yankees won the game. Tonight he gave up a triple to Nunez with Vernon Wells on second base. The Brett Lillibridge put the Yankees ahead with a single.

I guess you could say that Nathan is a hot dog, but only in New York.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

I guess you could say that Nathan is a hot dog, but only in New York.  

[/QUOTE]

Nice to know he has something to fall back on in case baseball doesnt work out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

After Cotts recorded the last two outs in the 8th inning and the 1st two outs in the 9th, without allowing a baserunner, Nathan comes into the game and gets a 1 out save (after giving up a hit).

Gotta love that "Save" stat.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

After Cotts recorded the last two outs in the 8th inning and the 1st two outs in the 9th, without allowing a baserunner, Nathan comes into the game and gets a 1 out save (after giving up a hit).

Gotta love that "Save" stat.  

But... but... but ... closers always pitch with the game on the line...

Sections
Shortcuts