1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from willoman. Show willoman's posts

Re: John Farrell-Sox first choice to replace Bobby Valentine.Is he yours? Would you give Toronto compensation? What player?

I would only bing back Farrell as a pitching coach. Stic to what you are good at. Bobby V needs to go for a fresh start with this team. Why would yu giv up prospecs when yu need to re-buid a team

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: John Farrell-Sox first choice to replace Bobby Valentine.Is he yours? Would you give Toronto compensation? What player?

For what it's worth. I thought Valentine was just what this team needed. I knew he would hold players to account. But when Ben dictated the terms of the hire, and pretty much laid down the rules of how he wanted the team managed, it was going to be a failure.

Valentine never should have stood for it, he should have walked away. But he accepted those terms and for that, he should be replaced. He will never earn the respect of the players by sacrificing his integrity and dignity.

Shame on ownership. Shame on Cherington. But mostly, shame on Valentine.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

The pro-Arnie argument, gaining adherents recently, makes some sense if the RS  are truly starting from scratch, from within.  I doubt they will stick with that for long, if at all. Plus I'm. Or sure a new manager can hack it in CrazyVille.

Farrell makes no sense, for reasons others have said.

Tito? Look forward, not back. 

Torre is 114 years old.

Tek has not been gone long enough. It wouldn't be fair to him to put him in charge of people he played with. I could see hiring him for the minors for a few years, though. 

Casey Stengel is dead.

I can see Lamont. Jim Leyland is worth players. Brad Mills seems like a good idea - he knows the place, has experience and can't be blamed for the Astros' year. Baylor commands respect, but his track record is mixed.

This ain't gonna be easy.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

not much, we got chris carpenter for theo who is more highly valued than farrell, so the jays cannot expect to get much. asking for clay buchholz was ridiculous to say the least. i think ferrell would be a good choice, but perhaps mike scoscia would be better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

One of the pitching prospects the Sox received in the trade with the Dodgers, was claimed by the Blue Jays. He was pulled back by the Dodgers, then traded. Not sure if the Sox were  thinking that far ahead, but may have decided to use him in a possible trade for Farrell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

not much, we got chris carpenter for theo who is more highly valued than farrell, so the jays cannot expect to get much. asking for clay buchholz was ridiculous to say the least. i think ferrell would be a good choice, but perhaps mike scoscia would be better.  But the sox asked for Garza.The jays would have to be pretty stupid to ask for someone like carpenter and not someone better especially since they won't let farrell sign before the copletion of his contract like the sox did with epstein.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

i think its stupid to give up anything for a manager, Farrell they seem to like, i like Tony Pena also.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

The Red Sox want Farrel because they FEARED him, however they also liked him! Do you really think the beer and chicken stuff would of happened last year if he was here? I don't. Buccholz even admitted it last spring training that Farrel INTIMIDATED Him! That's what this team needs, not someone that's going to hold their hands!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im sure Farrell is his own man and wont repeat the mistakes of Francona, but what has he done as manager to warrant giving up anyone for him? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I don't u/s the cult of Farrell.....what has he done as a manager to generate such interest (from some)?

No way would I give the Jays Rubby, or any other top prospect, for him.

Kind of the same thing as always with some of the posters.  If Farrell was with the RS, they'd be screaming to get rid of him.  since he is with the BJ's they want him.  I agree with you.  It's tough to tell from this distance, but I haven't seen anything he's done to warrant such interest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I don't u/s the cult of Farrell.....what has he done as a manager to generate such interest (from some)?

No way would I give the Jays Rubby, or any other top prospect, for him.

Kind of the same thing as always with some of the posters.  If Farrell was with the RS, they'd be screaming to get rid of him.  since he is with the BJ's they want him.  I agree with you.  It's tough to tell from this distance, but I haven't seen anything he's done to warrant such interest.

[/QUOTE]

I think the FO realizes he's someone they're all familiar with, has and will get the respect of the players from day one and if and when he's anoounced as the next Red Sox manager, the text messages between player will be positive, this time around. The pitching is what's lacking, what needs to be rebuilt and Farrell got the best out of Buch, Lester and even Beckett. They could do worse, JB...oh wait, the actually did;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Arnie Beyeler, that's all I have to say on the subject of the Red Sox' next manager.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

I'm in Canada, so I've seen a lot of Blue Jay games this year.

Farrell seems like a non-factor. Based on what he's said last year and this year, I think he wants to go back to Boston - he never says he doesn't and all he says about the Jays is that he's under contract so he's focused on them, but never any "I want to be here to win here". The last few weeks he seems to have checked out entirely. I know it's his personality to be buisness-like and somewhat unemotional, but he doesn't seem like he cares and it seems like he waits until everyone watching knows a move has to be made before he makes it...then he'll just walk up to the mound, change pitchers and go back to his seat. He doesn't seem to talk to players during the game, he doesn't give a lot of instruction, on the bench at least...

I think his personality is what they need if the clubhouse is really a mess and they need to be put back in their place....but I'm not sold on him as a manager. But it's really hard to judge - the Jays aren't that great a team and he seems to have had Boston on his mind all along...and it's not like Tito was the greatest on field mind so maybe personality and methods for dealing with players will go a long way....Bobby V isn't working, so there's nothing to lose, but I'm not entirely sold on Farrell.

Sections
Shortcuts