John Farrell to Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

John Farrell to Boston?

Source: The Jays are willing to let Farrell go Boston as long as they're compensated due to friction btwn JF and GM Alex Anthopoulos

Wow. Maybe Bard and some prospects?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: John Farrell to Boston?

If there is friction, and JF only has one year remaining on his contract, why give them much of anything, let alone Bard.  Offer monetary compensation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Question:

Why do we think Farrell's the answer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I am underwhelmed by the idea of Farrell managing the Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Question:

Dont know that we do, but apparently the FO does. He's familiar with the organization, ownership, players and the media. The pitching has certainly gotten worse since he's left. They thought highly enough of him to try get him back last year. If they couldnt come up with anyone better than Valentine, after their search last year, he can only be a step up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

didn't he have a losing record as coach of Toronto?..........what is the Toronto staff ERA?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I want a new face with new ideas, work ethic, and demand of the clubhouse !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Question:

Dont know that we do, but apparently the FO does. He's familiar with the organization, ownership, players and the media. The pitching has certainly gotten worse since he's left. They thought highly enough of him to try get him back last year. If they couldnt come up with anyone better than Valentine, after their search last year, he can only be a step up.

Why do you use the word 'apparently' J?  I have seen nothing from any legitimate or 'inside' source that has shown any predilections towards Farrell.  Have you seen any?  All I have seen is folks here pining for the same pitching coach they wanted run out of town on a stake a few years back.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I fundamentally agree with Nick Cafardo on this issue.  No manager will be transformational and a whole bunch of different choices will be adequate or maybe even good (read "lucky" for good).  If getting Farrell means giving up even one player, I would be against it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I dont think Farrell is the answer and he clearly isnt worth compensation. He has a losing record in his only Managerial stint and he has one year left on his contract.....those are the attributes of Managers who get fired not compensated for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Question:

Why do you use the word 'apparently' J?  I have seen nothing from any legitimate or 'inside' source that has shown any predilections towards Farrell.  Have you seen any?  All I have seen is folks here pining for the same pitching coach they wanted run out of town on a stake a few years back.  

Hi Space. Mostly because they tried to get him back last year, before the Blue Jays changed their policy, where any lateral move would require compensation. Also there have been many reporters who have claimed they are and have already reached out to Farrell, to see if he was interested in coming back to Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Farrell has a history with the Red Sox. I would like to see someone with fresh ideas and, hopefully, a history of success as a manager. Not only does Farrell not possess these qualities but he would cost us something. Lets look elsewhere. And remember: firing Valentine is not a done deal until it happens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Farrell has a history with the Red Sox. I would like to see someone with fresh ideas and, hopefully, a history of success as a manager. Not only does Farrell not possess these qualities but he would cost us something. Lets look elsewhere. And remember: firing Valentine is not a done deal until it happens.

I think thats what their hope was with Valentine, pumpsie. I wonder after the debacle that was BV, if they think the devil you know is better than the one you dont. They can't afford another disaster like this season turned out to be. The market and fanbase wont withstand it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I think thats what their hope was with Valentine, pumpsie. I wonder after the debacle that was BV, if they think the devil you know is better than the one you dont. They can't afford another disaster like this season turned out to be. The market and fanbase wont withstand it.

Its going to be unlikely that we will compete for the playoffs next year anyway. The fanbase has to adjust its level of expectations to that of being satisfied with progress. If we can finish at .500 with an improved pitching staff, thats fine by me. The year after that I expect much more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

John Farrell would be a nice PC in Boston,Tony LaRussa would be a better replacement as MGR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

John Farrell would be a nice PC in Boston,Tony LaRussa would be a better replacement as MGR.

I To Would Like Tony In Boston, I Wonder Who Big Ben@Cherries Has Been Talking Too...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Interesting.  This season's debacle, in your very own words, had absolutely nothing to do with injuries or performances.  A different manager would have kept the Sox above .500 and maybe even kept them in the playoff hunt. 

Needless to say, I strongly disagree.  Bobby had and has faults, but he wasn't fired during the season because the FO and the owner recognize injuries and player performances played the dominant role in the debacle. 

So, please, name that manager who you think will turn this team around even if in 2013 Ortiz gets hurt and plays just 90 games, Middlebrooks 75 games, Loney/Gomez play 1B (won't matter if either is injured), Ellsbury can't play over half the games, Ross misses 40 games, Pedroia misses 30-40 games, and the rotation has a combined ERA of around 5.00.  Please name that miracle worker. 

I am by no means an advocate for bringing Bobby V back.  I just think it's silly to blame everything on the manager. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Interesting.  This season's debacle, in your very own words, had absolutely nothing to do with injuries or performances.  A different manager would have kept the Sox above .500 and maybe even kept them in the playoff hunt. 

Needless to say, I strongly disagree.  Bobby had and has faults, but he wasn't fired during the season because the FO and the owner recognize injuries and player performances played the dominant role in the debacle. 

So, please, name that manager who you think will turn this team around even if in 2013 Ortiz gets hurt and plays just 90 games, Middlebrooks 75 games, Loney/Gomez play 1B (won't matter if either is injured), Ellsbury can't play over half the games, Ross misses 40 games, Pedroia misses 30-40 games, and the rotation has a combined ERA of around 5.00.  Please name that miracle worker. 

I am by no means an advocate for bringing Bobby V back.  I just think it's silly to blame everything on the manager. 

max, the debacle that was BV, meaning the off field stuff, which I think clearly had a negative effect, not to mention some of his in game tactical decisions.  I agree, the injuries and player performance, or lack of,  were the main issues. The second half of the season has been nothing short of an embarrassment. BV has added to it, IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this team is not good...and wont be for a few years...and thats if ben makes the right moves....i dont think it really matters who manages this club....sorry if that sounds defeatist but i believe that....

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Everyone wants to put this season squarely on the shoulders of Valentine but just remember this: Cherington was the one who insisted the Valentine hire was acceptable as long as Bogar stayed and Ben could select the PC.

The Sox went 17-24 after the break, and before the big trade. 9.5 games out of the WC with 40 games to play. We have gone 9-23 since "The Trade". We were 9.5 games up with 27 games to play in 2011.

Ben and the FO quit on the team, plain and simple! And now, Valentine is the scapegoat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

didn't he have a losing record as coach of Toronto?..........what is the Toronto staff ERA?

For what it's worth, Terry Francona had a losing record (285-363, .440) in four seasons as manager of the Philadelphia Phillies before the Red Sox hired Francona to manage two eventual World Series champions. The Phillies fired Francona following the 2000 season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is not right to just blame Valentine for this season , while giving Ben a pass.  Ben is the one who brought in stiffs like Cook , Stewart and numerous others.  Regardless of who the next manager is , it is up to Ben to put a better team on the field.  Let's see how he spends the money saved on the L.A. bailout. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It is not right to just blame Valentine for this season , while giving Ben a pass.  Ben is the one who brought in stiffs like Cook , Stewart and numerous others.  Regardless of who the next manager is , it is up to Ben to put a better team on the field.  Let's see how he spends the money saved on the L.A. bailout. 

Hopefully he won't be spending it all next year. Epstein created an financial albatross; Cherington ought not repeat that. Slow is the word for next year. Short contracts on the cheap unless, as Moon said, we find a great deal out there.

Sections
Shortcuts