John Farrell to Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Re: John Farrell to Boston?

Do NOT give anything to Toronto for Farrell.  If they don't let him go, forget him.  Move on to the next guy.  No manager can win with the talent the Sox put out there this year.  Tonight's lineup is the worst ever put on the field by the Red Sox.  John Farrell's team is barely ahead of the Sox.  He is no genius.  Tell the Jays to shove it if they want to keep him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

J-Bay, you still don't get it.  You keep blaming Bobby V for everything and the players and the GM for nothing.  I thought his in-game decisions were pretty reasonable given what he was working with and sometimes even inspired.  As for the off-the-field commentary, that's why I would let him go, but I seriously doubt it had much effect on the players or especially on players injuries. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I think Sox management is being short-sighted pursuing Farrell...just because of his familiarity with Sox pitchers and how the organization works.

I think it is time for fresh ideas and new leaders in the clubhouse that the players will respect, simply out of the fact they don't know them yet.

Some Sox fans are very short-sighted also,,,willing to give up on Bard (due to one bad season) and additional prospects to bring in another question mark considering Farrell's results in Toronto.

I believe the Sox pitching staff just needs a fresh top of the rotation starter...a guy like Josh Johnson would be a nice fit there. I also like Brandan McCarthy and would give Haren a shot...although I think he's more like a #3 starter now.

From a line-up perspective I believe they are only a couple of bats away from fielding a very competitive team...even with Iglesias playing SS.

If the Sox could add a Napoli, Morneau or K. Morales for 1B, and a A. Gordon, C. Gonzalez, or S. Choo for OF and keep the others healthy I think the Sox could be a decent team in 2013, despite the negative opinions of many Sox fans.

A new manager working with a team that looked like this, could do pretty well, as soon as next year:

1. CF Ellsbury
    2. 2B Pedoria
    3. LF Gordon (deal with KC involving Kalish, prospects and bullpen arms)
    4. 1B Napoli
    5. DH Ortiz
    6. 3B Middlebrooks
    7. RF Ross
    8. C Salty
    9. SS Iglesias

Bench: Ciriaco, Podsednik/Nava, Lavarnway, Loney

Starters:

1. J. Johnson (trade with Miami possibly involving Buchholz and Bard)
    2. Lester
    3. Lackey
    4. McCarthy (FA signing)
    5. Doubront
    6. Morales (spot starter)

Bullpen:

1. Bailey
    2. Melanson
    3. Padilla
    4. Miller
    5. Tazawa
    6. Hill/Breslow

This could be a very competitive team next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Farrell has a history with the Red Sox. I would like to see someone with fresh ideas and, hopefully, a history of success as a manager. Not only does Farrell not possess these qualities but he would cost us something. Lets look elsewhere. And remember: firing Valentine is not a done deal until it happens.

[/QUOTE]

Good post. I remember that Farrell is a disciple of Francona. He's a loser in Toronto and the only way he would be successful with the Sox is the same way Francona was. They'll have to load the roster with good to great talent, and then hope the team can play up to their talents and above Farrell's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxfan28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jen Royle @Jen_Royle

Source: The Jays are willing to let Farrell go Boston as long as they're compensated due to friction btwn JF and GM Alex Anthopoulos

Wow. Maybe Bard and some prospects?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure JF will do much with our present team unless we make some nice moves to fill in empty holes.  I do agree bringing John back may be a good idea for guys like Pede, Jon, Clay, Papi and Ells which in itself could improve our club next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I honestly think it's going to take new ownership to turn things around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

Canadain here, read and see a lot on the Blue Jays. I have no idea what type of a manager Farrell would make. In Toronto he really doesn't seem to care. I don't know if that's because of his style of if he'd just rather be elsewhere, but a typical game is him just sitting in his spot on the bench while the game goes on. Players make the same stupid mistakes game by game and he doesn't say anything about it, on the bench at least. Just sits there taking it all in. His interviews about Boston are telling - "I'm under contract so I'll be here" is about as close to saying he wants to stay in Toronto that he comes. Never shoots down Boston, never says he doesn't want to come back, never says he likes it in Toronto.

I'm not sure where the friction with the GM comes from. The GM seems like kind of an idiot - I've never seen a GM, or a team for that matter, say such stupid things in public. It's like a organization of Bobby V's when a mic is in front of them....but it seemed Farrell was interested in going back to Boston last winter when the rumors first came up and the Jays suddenly changed their policy to prevent an employee from leaving for the same position with another team. Which suggests they knew Farrell wanted to go and stepped in to prevent it. If he didn't want to leave why the need to change the policy?

I really don't know what to expect from him. The Jays have the idiot shortstop taking the field with slurs on his face, Lawrie does whatever he wants to with no consequence, and they make the same mistakes over and over....doesn't sound like the firm hand he's made out to be, unless he just doesn't care.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The rumor mill, including sportswriters, have mentioned Farrell as a real possibility.  But I have to wonder if the Sox would really give up a player or two for a very unsuccessful manager. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

J-Bay, you still don't get it.  You keep blaming Bobby V for everything and the players and the GM for nothing.  I thought his in-game decisions were pretty reasonable given what he was working with and sometimes even inspired.  As for the off-the-field commentary, that's why I would let him go, but I seriously doubt it had much effect on the players or especially on players injuries. 

[/QUOTE]

I said I blame the players and injuries for the majority and BV for off field issues, which you just agreed with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Farrell has a history with the Red Sox. I would like to see someone with fresh ideas and, hopefully, a history of success as a manager. Not only does Farrell not possess these qualities but he would cost us something. Lets look elsewhere. And remember: firing Valentine is not a done deal until it happens.

[/QUOTE]

I think thats what their hope was with Valentine, pumpsie. I wonder after the debacle that was BV, if they think the devil you know is better than the one you dont. They can't afford another disaster like this season turned out to be. The market and fanbase wont withstand it.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  This season's debacle, in your very own words, had absolutely nothing to do with injuries or performances.  A different manager would have kept the Sox above .500 and maybe even kept them in the playoff hunt. 

Needless to say, I strongly disagree.  Bobby had and has faults, but he wasn't fired during the season because the FO and the owner recognize injuries and player performances played the dominant role in the debacle. 

So, please, name that manager who you think will turn this team around even if in 2013 Ortiz gets hurt and plays just 90 games, Middlebrooks 75 games, Loney/Gomez play 1B (won't matter if either is injured), Ellsbury can't play over half the games, Ross misses 40 games, Pedroia misses 30-40 games, and the rotation has a combined ERA of around 5.00.  Please name that miracle worker. 

I am by no means an advocate for bringing Bobby V back.  I just think it's silly to blame everything on the manager. 

[/QUOTE]

max, the debacle that was BV, meaning the off field stuff, which I think clearly had a negative effect, not to mention some of his in game tactical decisions.  I agree, the injuries and player performance, or lack of,  were the main issues. The second half of the season has been nothing short of an embarrassment. BV has added to it, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

heres my post max. what dont I get and where am I blaming BV for everything??

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why have there been ten times as many threads about BV being the root cause of the Sox downfall instead of injuries and starting pitching? Everytime I looked up I saw Dannycater and J-Bay on BV threads.

[/QUOTE]

because every time you looked up, it was as a different screen name

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

This should be the first year coming up where the Sox are not under the direct influence of the past.  Good or bad, Sox FO will determine the new direction that the team takes.  It will start with the hiring of a new manager which should be the first telling step in how far the FO is willing to take this new direction.  Ben will make some important steps in the FA market this winter which will be step two - or not.  If nothing is done to bring on some worthwhile talent this winter, the 2013 season will be a repeat of this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want a new face with new ideas, work ethic, and demand of the clubhouse !!!

[/QUOTE]

Did they do that with Bobby V......John Farrell Would be a huge upgrade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I understand that Toronto has dealt with a lot of injuries this season, but the team has not been doing very well.

Then again Francona did not do very well with the Phillies before managing the Red Sox. 

At this point, anyone is better than Valentine. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Remember Francona? Had a losing record before Sox hired him. This is another team like '03 that had a lot of talent but just couldn't mesh. Valentine is Grady Little. Farrell is Francona.

1. Ellsbury

2. Pedroia

3. Gordon

4. Ortiz

5. Morse

6. Middlebrooks

7. Ross

8. Salty/Lava

9. Ciriaco/Iglesias/Bogaerts competition

Salty/Lava, Ciriaco/Iglesias/Bogaerts, Nava, Sands

1. Buchholz

2. Haren

3. Lester

4. Villanueva

5. Lackey

Tazawa, Morales, Mortensen, Bard, Atch, Melancon, Bailey

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I want the Red Sox to have another pitching coach too. 

Does anyone know why Curt Young went back to Oakland after only a year with Boston?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does anyone know why Curt Young went back to Oakland after only a year with Boston?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe because his starters were drinking beer in the clubhouse during the game , and he either didn't know or didn't care.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Under no circumstances should the Sox give up a player to Toronto in order to get Farrell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe because his starters were drinking beer in the clubhouse during the game , and he either didn't know or didn't care.

[/QUOTE]

I was excited when Curt Young was coming to the Red Sox before the 2011 season. 

In 2010, the A's had the best ERA in the AL (Young was their pitching coach). 

Only after a year, Young decides to go back to Oakland and he is now doing a great job with the A's rookie pitchers. 

Boston's pitching coach is an idiot who did not do well in Kansas City.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There is all kinds of stories of managers/coaches failing on one team, the discovering success with another. in Boston, Francona, Belechick are 2 very good examples. With that said, I have no idea how Farrell would do in Boston as a manager and not sure its even a good idea. Toronto has been a bad TEAM for a while now. Like the Sox this year, Im not sure any manager would have had much success with them.

He appears to not want to be there. From the way he speaks and carries himself while managing. Its rumored that there is some friction with the GM. (Im not going to look for the articles, google it). I think there should be very little to no compensation IF Farrell is their choice. Low level prospect maybe.

Personally, I think its more about the group of players assembled to form the TEAM that is mostly the reason a team wins or loses. A manager can make certain moves, but ultimately its the players that have to perform.

I would at least speak to Pena and a couple others before I decide...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

John Farrell hasn't demonstrated that he's a good manager.  If the Sox FO wants him, then wait to see if Toronto fires him before negotiating with the Jays.  If I'm Toronto and want to get rid of Farrell, I'll wait to see if Boston is willing to trade a player and/or pay compensation to get him before doing so.

For those who think a manager's personal style (BV) have little impact on the players, consider having a boss who is an absolute jerk.  They make your daily work life miserable, even through they might know the work very well.  It seemed that BV began alienating players in spring training and it never stopped.  Obviously a catastrophic hire by Lucchino, but don't hold your breath waiting for that sleazebag to own up to it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

John Farrell would be a nice PC in Boston,Tony LaRussa would be a better replacement as MGR.

[/QUOTE]

+1

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts