John Farrell Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

John Farrell Update

Major League source: Sox-Jays beyond "preliminary" stage of compensation talks in a deal for Toronto manager John Farrell.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: John Farrell Update

Interesting turn of events. I thought that had gone by the boards.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Don't believe he's worth any compenstion. Leave him in Toronto. Choose from the list of candidates being interviewd. Move forward not back. Just my $.02.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you can never have enough of the francona years!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't believe he's worth any compenstion. Leave him in Toronto. Choose from the list of candidates being interviewd. Move forward not back. Just my $.02.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Antibody.Toronto wasn't happy with his managing style and would probably just let him walk if the Sox weren't so hot for him.

Now they know they can get rid of him AND receive compensation.For the Jays,it's a win-win situation.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

So glad the Sox are giving up players to get a last place and next to last place manager that Dustin Pedroia has already spoken out against! Awesome!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to smuldy84's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So glad the Sox are giving up players to get a last place and next to last place manager that Dustin Pedroia has already spoken out against! Awesome!

[/QUOTE]

what do you mean?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

read the otm blog, an anonymous red sox player who only really fits pedroia's bill and mannerism basically called farrell a joke of a manager today to csnne

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

read the otm blog, an anonymous red sox player who only really fits pedroia's bill and mannerism basically called farrell a joke of a manager today to csnne

[/QUOTE]

What??? Someone annonymously claims to be a Red Sox player and fit's Pedroias bill and mannerisms on a BLOG??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just because you and the writer might THINK it's Pedroia,doesn't necessarily mean it was Pedroia who said that.It's possible it was him,but instead of stating it as fact,you should probably add that it's your opinion.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/10/18/3521480/john-farrell-red-sox-manager

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What??? Someone annonymously claims to be a Red Sox player and fit's Pedroias bill and mannerisms on a BLOG??

[/QUOTE]

No,some writer got a quote from CSNNE and tried to figure out who said it.His guess was Pedroia who said it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

CSNNE had this:

"But at least one Red Sox player -- who spoke to Comcast SportsNet's Mike Giardi on the condition of anonymity -- is impressed, at least with the quality of the field.

"Last year, there were a bunch of guys I didn't know or care about," he told Giardi, referring to the early part of the search when the Sox focused on a field of low-profile candidates (Dale Sveum, Sandy Alomar Jr., Pete Mackanin, etc.). "This year, when I saw the names, I was excited. These guys are well-respected."

(That great respect for Ausmus, Wallach and Pena, incidentally, is "unlike [how he felt about] the guy they hired last year", Bobby Valentine.)

"I can call any one of my friends on other teams and ask them about [Tim] Wallach or [Tony] Pena or [Brad] Ausmus, and they've got nothing but good things to say, or heard nothing but good things. How can you not like that, after last winter's [expletive]?"

But he's not as impressed with management's presumed favorite, current Blue Jays manager and former Sox pitching coach John Farrell.

"He's a hell of a pitching coach, but did you see Toronto play this year? They were as lost as we were.

"Losing [Jose Bautista] was like us losing David [Ortiz], but they didn't gut their team at the deadline (and still finished only four games ahead of the Sox). And what happened to their pitching staff? Isn't that [Farrell's] strength? He can't make 'em make the pitch, but isn't that the expectation here? Whatever." "

Make of that what you will. The last line is the fairest, he won't bring back 4mph of velocity lost by Jon Lester's body breaking down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Regardless of who said it, how is that calling Farrell a joke of a manager??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

great...pedey whining already...has to be him.....how many were there when farrell coached?hatever...they should just let pedroia run the team

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

great...pedey whining already...has to be him.....how many were there when farrell coached?hatever...they should just let pedroia run the team

[/QUOTE]

Wow -- you assuming it was Pedey without any kind of facts. I'm shocked -- SHOCKED!

How pathetic. If you're going to rip a player -- and we all know Pedey's in your crosshairs now that Beckett is gone -- at least be man enough and wait for facts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

LOL...Honestly though, that verbage does kinda come across like PD. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

Well either way main point is player is right, Farrell will be a disaster on this team, the problem with the staff isn't the coach, the problem is a 28 year old cancer survivor is not a normal 28 year old physically, and when their fastball starts losing velocity and movement one cannot project them as compared to most 28 year olds entering their prime years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not fully blame Farrell for Toronto's poor performance this year.

Bautista went down in mid-July, three of their top starting pitchers went down for the season, etc.

Besides, Toronto has not made the playoffs since 1993 and the franchise was, is, and will be, a mess regardless of who the manager is. 

What the Blue Jays need to do is clone Jimmy Key, Tony Fernandez, Tom Henke, Pat Hentgen, Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, Juan Guzman, etc. and build their team around them.  LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So who are the Blow Jays sending us for taking this loser off their hands anyway?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Does this mean that Pedroia is going to have a card playing buddy again before every game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox would not be hurt by trading Pedroia. He's a fine player and has been a tough competitor.  I'm thinking the deal could expand to satisfy the needs of both teams: Santana for Salty--Francona always had a close relationship with Lester--perhaps Ubaldo Jimenez in return.

From the Sox:                    From the Indians:

Pedroia                               Kipnis

Lester                                 Choo

Salty                                   Masterson

Kalish                                 Santana

Bard                                   Jimenez

Bailey                                 Perez

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

CSNNE had this:

"But at least one Red Sox player -- who spoke to Comcast SportsNet's Mike Giardi on the condition of anonymity -- is impressed, at least with the quality of the field.

"Last year, there were a bunch of guys I didn't know or care about," he told Giardi, referring to the early part of the search when the Sox focused on a field of low-profile candidates (Dale Sveum, Sandy Alomar Jr., Pete Mackanin, etc.). "This year, when I saw the names, I was excited. These guys are well-respected."

(That great respect for Ausmus, Wallach and Pena, incidentally, is "unlike [how he felt about] the guy they hired last year", Bobby Valentine.)

"I can call any one of my friends on other teams and ask them about [Tim] Wallach or [Tony] Pena or [Brad] Ausmus, and they've got nothing but good things to say, or heard nothing but good things. How can you not like that, after last winter's [expletive]?"

But he's not as impressed with management's presumed favorite, current Blue Jays manager and former Sox pitching coach John Farrell.

"He's a hell of a pitching coach, but did you see Toronto play this year? They were as lost as we were.

"Losing [Jose Bautista] was like us losing David [Ortiz], but they didn't gut their team at the deadline (and still finished only four games ahead of the Sox). And what happened to their pitching staff? Isn't that [Farrell's] strength? He can't make 'em make the pitch, but isn't that the expectation here? Whatever." "

Make of that what you will. The last line is the fairest, he won't bring back 4mph of velocity lost by Jon Lester's body breaking down.

[/QUOTE]

Jon Lester was throwing 95MPH at the end of the season...He hit 96 on the 2 occasions I saw him live this year. 4MPH? Unless your saying he was throwing 99-100 before this year, then Ok. 28 and breaking down? I get a big laugh everytime someone says that about Lester...Jeeez...What a crock...

And If Pedroia is your choice, then fine. But please spare us the talk as if its a fact. Its your opinion...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The problem with Lester was not so much velocity as it was lack of command. That was an issue with most of the Sox pitchers. Too many pitches too far out of the zone to entice a swing , or right down the middle and hit hard.  As for Farrell , all things equal , he would not be my first choice. Giving up prospects for him should be out of the question.  The real issue is not so much who will be the new manager , as much as how Ben C will go about putting a contending team on the field. He now has money to spend. Will he spend it wisely? If he goes the trade route , will he get fleeced by rival GMs ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

Fair enough, Lester was down to 90 by pitch fx in late July but must have thrown harder at the end of the season to get that back up to 92. Still dont get the 28 year old defense, his body could break down alot quicker seeing as he is a chemo survivor.