John Farrell Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: John Farrell Update

It's pretty clear that most on here feel that hiring Farrell would be a mistake but you watch, once the deal is done with the Jays, the optimism and defense of Cherington will flow. Those previously opposed will remarkably be on board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The problem with Lester was not so much velocity as it was lack of command. That was an issue with most of the Sox pitchers. Too many pitches too far out of the zone to entice a swing , or right down the middle and hit hard.  As for Farrell , all things equal , he would not be my first choice. Giving up prospects for him should be out of the question.  The real issue is not so much who will be the new manager , as much as how Ben C will go about putting a contending team on the field. He now has money to spend. Will he spend it wisely? If he goes the trade route , will he get fleeced by rival GMs ?

exactly exam. It was exicution of pitches. It just gets me that some folks here talk with nothing to back up their claim. If Lester is hitting a consistant 94-96 on the gun all year, then how is his velocity going down. Also, the kid is 28yrs old. He hardly "breaking down" like some suggest.

How soon do people forget that the 4 years prior to 2012 Lester went 65-32 with a sub 3.50ERA and was in the CY Young talks. All this in the AL East...He had a bad year people. It happens...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to smuldy84's comment:

Fair enough, Lester was down to 90 by pitch fx in late July but must have thrown harder at the end of the season to get that back up to 92. Still dont get the 28 year old defense, his body could break down alot quicker seeing as he is a chemo survivor.

I understand your chemo point and it is valid...I look at pitchfx as well, but I also watch the gun speed on tv as well. He didnt have command of his FB a lot this year, so he used the change more. That could make his velocity look lower.

Either way, when he did throw the FB it was a constant 94-96 as usual. I honestly think he just had a down year and will be back to himself in 2013.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Just heard on CSNNE from McAdam that Barnes would be fair compensation for Farrell...no thanks...I'll take Ausmus

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TitleTown11's comment:

Just heard on CSNNE from McAdam that Barnes would be fair compensation for Farrell...no thanks...I'll take Ausmus

Barnes?  Ludicrous.  If that happens I will join forces with the Cherington haters here to bring him down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Agreed HFXSN...I'll be you're second in command

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Agreed HFXSN...I'll be you're second in command

Consider me part of the Cherrington haters as well if he gives up Barnes. MacAdam is an idiot if he really thinks that is fair.

Boston holds all the cards here. If Farrell stays, Toronto already knows it will be a mess and the players know he will be gone next year anyway. That and the fan realize Farrell would rather be in Boston. It would be a nightmare all the way around. Boston should saythey can have Zach Stewert and be done with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hopefully,Cherington (and Lucchino) are smarter than this,but you can never tell.If it happens,Ill join the Cherington haters club too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Why do we classify ourselves or others as "haters" if we don't like someone? Can't we just say "I do not care for him or her" or "I don't like them" ??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We could, but thats basically what the term "hater" means...Not actually hating someone in the true meaning of the word.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

giving up barnes for farrell would be an absolute joke. If theo epstein who is far more valauble and accomplish than farrell on nets chris carpenter, then farrell should net even less than that. not to mention that many people are saying that alot of people in the jays organization want him gone. toronto has pretty much no leverage. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If that happens I'll be burning Cherington in effigy and joining the softlaw anti Cherry bandwagon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

It's pretty clear that most on here feel that hiring Farrell would be a mistake but you watch, once the deal is done with the Jays, the optimism and defense of Cherington will flow. Those previously opposed will remarkably be on board.

That depends. If we don't give up any prospects I'd be willing to give Farrell the same chance I gave BV who I also didn't want to see as manager of my Sox. If we give the Jays anything beyond say, Williams Jerez it goes on Ben's report card as a big black mark.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I say we just give them back Zach Stewert

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I see the same thing happening with Farrell as with Valentine. He will get no respect. After June people will be calling for his head. What has Farrell done with Toronto? got them into 4th place again ahead of the Red Sox. I would like to see the Sox take a chance with Pena or Ausmus. This love affir got to stop. Having to give up prospect(s) for him. no thanks. I seiously think this front office got to go. I like managers that were formerly catchers. for example the success in Oakland with Bob Melvin or St. Louis with Mike Matheny. If they are trying to get Farrell why waste time in interviewing. I can see the winter meetings are going to be a joke.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

+1

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

try not to speak for everybody. it requires knowing what is in a person's mind.

i, for one, am highly opposed to hiring farell and will not praise cherry and will not be on board.

PLEASE, NO FARRELL.

i posted good riddance 2 years ago when the SOX dumped him. what is this fatal attraction by the FO for this last place manager? 

Im with you in not signing Farrell. If they do though, I will obviously hope he does well. Complaining about it will do not good, so Ill try and do my best not to if it happens...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Perhaps this is all a smokescreen planted by BenC to get the fans commenting about the supposed "mancrush" with JF--while giving Ben a chance to zero in on the candidate he wants.

I believe it's the Fans Choice Tony Pena. He had to wait until after the Playoff game last night--hopefully he is negotiating now and Pena probably needed time to tell his family, Girardi and Yankee Management of the decision. I would say the announcement will be made Monday with a press conference.

Too simplistic??? JF will get a contract extension this afternoon or the trade will be announced and Pena will be announced as the new Jays coach.  Who really knows but Ben what's going on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Honestly, Id rather have Ausmus or Wallach before Pena...But I certainly would not complain one bit if he was hired...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

FWIW from earlier this morning

''There is still speculation that the Jays are eager to part ways with Farrell, with one team-connected source telling Jon Heyman of CBS Sports that, “The people there [in Toronto] would charter a jet to get him out.''

Fan 590....
    "Farrell to the Red Sox is going to happen. Could be by the end of the week-end. Compensation is the last hurdle."

Here's the latest....
    Jays insiders on here say the Sox will give Rubby De La Rosa ( one of the pitchers from the Dodger trade) and a double A chip for Farrell.

What? Where did you fan590 did you hear that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Everywhere I look Red Sox fans are unanimous, they are going to be irate if we give up a prospect like De La Rosa for Farrell.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

In response to redsoxfan28's comment:

What? Where did you fan590 did you hear that?

I C&P all that from the home board

it was all posted by 1 poster who

I trust very much who lives in canada

Can you paste a link?

Sections
Shortcuts