John Farrell Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SRNH. Show SRNH's posts

Re: John Farrell Update

Absolutely mind numbing to think our Young GM/Front Office even THINKS trading for a manager is a good idea....I ask you? Does a Cashman,Dombrowski,Jocketty,Hart,Gillick...Cripes you name it....Even a loose cannon like Kenny Williams jumped at the chance to get something for a manager, one that made it easy to get rid of mind you...It's not like Farrell has had it easy under his own YOUNG GM across the border...I think Alex A., John Farrell, and Benjamin all know he is fired after next year if he stays...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't believe he's worth any compenstion. Leave him in Toronto. Choose from the list of candidates being interviewd. Move forward not back. Just my $.02.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Antibody.Toronto wasn't happy with his managing style and would probably just let him walk if the Sox weren't so hot for him.

Now they know they can get rid of him AND receive compensation.For the Jays,it's a win-win situation.  

[/QUOTE]

The YANKEES proved it's not about the manager !!!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #RedSox, #BlueJays making progress on Farrell compensation agreement. Deal between Farrell and Red Sox fait accompli after that.

Guess its happening.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

bgomez what info do you have the Sox are trading for Farrell and Who is going-name source...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FWIW from earlier this morning

''There is still speculation that the Jays are eager to part ways with Farrell, with one team-connected source telling Jon Heyman of CBS Sports that, “The people there [in Toronto] would charter a jet to get him out.''

Fan 590....
    "Farrell to the Red Sox is going to happen. Could be by the end of the week-end. Compensation is the last hurdle.".

Here's the latest....
    Jays insiders on here say the Sox will give Rubby De La Rosa ( one of the pitchers from the Dodger trade) and a double A chip for Farrell.

[/QUOTE]

I like John Farrell.  I've met the guy a few times at the Winter Meetings and he was a pleasure to talk to.  Very intelligent, has a great presence and seems to be well respected throughout the game.  That said, if the Sox trade Rubby De La Rosa or anything resembling Rubby De La Rosa for him to be the manager, I will be irate.  I heard Ausmus is the choice among some Sox execs, so hopefully the boardroom battle is won by those guys. Doesn't look good, though... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would be extremely disappointed if the Sox give up Rubby DLR--if he's the chip I would move to have BenC fired. That would mean the Sox parted with AGon for Jerry Sands and Allen Webster. Rubby is more ready than Webster---doesn't make sense. 

Hopefully Ben will be overruled if the management team wants Ausmus. If they overrule I hope that spells the end for BenC in Boston. He has made some very questionable moves and if LL wasn't involved the Sox wouldn't have completed the Beckett trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

W.o.w.  I'm sorry but I feel the manager position is highly over valued.  Talent trumps all, this team stinks and no manager will do anything but add marginal value.  I truly hope they get nothing more than one b level prospect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's pretty clear that most on here feel that hiring Farrell would be a mistake but you watch, once the deal is done with the Jays, the optimism and defense of Cherington will flow. Those previously opposed will remarkably be on board.

[/QUOTE]

try not to speak for everybody. it requires knowing what is in a person's mind.

i, for one, am highly opposed to hiring farell and will not praise cherry and will not be on board.

PLEASE, NO FARRELL.

i posted good riddance 2 years ago when the SOX dumped him. what is this fatal attraction by the FO for this last place manager? 

[/QUOTE]

Good post. Couldn't agree more. I still don't understand why there isn't an outcry from  more of the fans here to get rid of Cherington. How many do-overs does the guy get? Does the FO think he's Obama?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from khuberpt. Show khuberpt's posts

No chance it's ruby. At most a low AA prospect, not one of the top in the sox system for a manager

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's pretty clear that most on here feel that hiring Farrell would be a mistake but you watch, once the deal is done with the Jays, the optimism and defense of Cherington will flow. Those previously opposed will remarkably be on board.

[/QUOTE]

try not to speak for everybody. it requires knowing what is in a person's mind.

i, for one, am highly opposed to hiring farell and will not praise cherry and will not be on board.

PLEASE, NO FARRELL.

i posted good riddance 2 years ago when the SOX dumped him. what is this fatal attraction by the FO for this last place manager? 

[/QUOTE]

Good post. Couldn't agree more. I still don't understand why there isn't an outcry from  more of the fans here to get rid of Cherington. How many do-overs does the guy get? Does the FO think he's Obama?

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would be extremely disappointed if the Sox give up Rubby DLR--if he's the chip I would move to have BenC fired. That would mean the Sox parted with AGon for Jerry Sands and Allen Webster. Rubby is more ready than Webster---doesn't make sense. 

Hopefully Ben will be overruled if the management team wants Ausmus. If they overrule I hope that spells the end for BenC in Boston. He has made some very questionable moves and if LL wasn't involved the Sox wouldn't have completed the Beckett trade.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, MadMc, hopefully that's just a rumor.  Again, I think Farrell can succeed here, but the whole compensation thing is ridiculous.  Farrell is the guy who essentially put his job on the line in the boardroom when he was pitching coach when many wanted to send a package to Minnesota that including 3 or 4 prospects surrounding Lester for Johan Santana.  The names included either Buchholz or Ellsbury in one deal, Masterson, Hagadone, etc.  He was clearly right in hindsight, but a manager isn't worth significant compensation in my opinion...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

I'm flabbergasted with all these rumors about hiring Farrell.  Chad Finn gave me the job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

Getting Farrell is like trying to get back together with an old girlfrirend. It  will never be as good as you remember it was. It's best to not look back and move on. Pena or Ausmus would be better choices and let them bring in a new pitching coach. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I doubt that the Sox FO will allow Ben Cherrington too trade either of the pitchers acquired in the blockbuster with the Dodgers just based upon scouting reports both of these kids are closing in on major league careers. I personally will not watch next years team if they trade RDLR for any body not named Felix Hernandez,this kid is a flame thrower with #1 starter potential. John Farrell is nothing more than a PC who rode the shirttails of the Sox 07 championships into a Managers job,when his teams pitching staff went south in 09 and 2010 he jumped at the proverbial rope that saved him the embarrassment of being fired for being an incompetent PC.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Our team of Sox reporters will go along with anything the front office decides and make it right to the public, will spin this JF episode so it is the right choice, and maybe it is.  However, I agree with some who have commented that trading young pitching talent is not solving the managerial problem--it's making it worse. Rubby, Webster, Barnes, Owens, Ranaudo, Tazawa, are rotation arms that Sox fans will eventually be impressed with.

To let any of them go shows inepness on the part of the Sox front office--especially the GM, who is trying to avoid having to make a decision with the candiates he has just finished interviewing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Farrell is a dumb choice - but he can do better than 69 wins....i told you guys a few weeks ago it is all about the BRAND, not WINNING for the sox brass...they would love to do both, but if they had to choose - well, we get farrell

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If Ben sends Rubby DLR or anyone of significance to Toronto for Farrell I'll be boycotting the Red Sox until Ben C is fired. The most they should give up is Zach Stewart, although I still think Toronto should send us compensation if we get them out of the last year of Farrell's contract.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Ben should get compensation from the Jays for taking Farrell off their hands. He was around Francona too long to be a decent manager. If I called Francona "Sit & Spit" I guess I'd name Farrell, because of his jaw, "Stand & Drool" or "Slack Jaw" or my favorite, "Ree-Coma" .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We could, but thats basically what the term "hater" means...Not actually hating someone in the true meaning of the word.

[/QUOTE]

got it!  leave it me to think it meant extreme

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxfan28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Major League source: Sox-Jays beyond "preliminary" stage of compensation talks in a deal for Toronto manager John Farrell.

Expand 

from Nick Cafardo

[/QUOTE]

There will always be unhappy fans with anyone chosen as manager.  Farrell is a familar face who should bring back a little comfort and support from most of our players.  Thats a good first step regardless of whether one considers him a great manager.  Mr. Francona wasn't exactly a great manager at times but for the most part fit our mold.

Step two is solidifying our pitching staff and filling a couple more key positions.  This team was horrible this year but that doesn't necessarily mean a thing with the money we dumped.  It's a matter of finding/trading for the right fits and a couple of our kids maturing like we feel they might. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

This is shaping up to be a mess.  If it is indeed Rubby or Barnes, who could both be key parts of the rotation within the next 1-3 years, lots of people will be questioning what exactly this organization is thinking.  A manager is NOT worth a top prospect.  Talent on the field trumps everything, always.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

if the sox give up de la rose for farrell, the whole fo should be fired. that is plain dumb. theo epstein only netted chris carpenter a 25 yr old reliever, how does john farrell a mediocre manager with a losing track record equate to de la rosa?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I like John Farrell. I've met the guy a few times at the Winter Meetings and he was a pleasure to talk to. Very intelligent, has a great presence and seems to be well respected throughout the game. That said, if the Sox trade Rubby De La Rosa or anything resembling Rubby De La Rosa for him to be the manager, I will be irate. I heard Ausmus is the choice among some Sox execs, so hopefully the boardroom battle is won by those guys. Doesn't look good, though...

I cannot believe that even OUR FO is so stupid as to give away a top pitching prospect for a manager who has a losing record in MLB. In fact, if they gave the Jays NOTHING, I would still not want him here because of his ties to the team. This team needs a clean flush, not retreads.

Sections
Shortcuts