John Farrell Will Go With Same Roster for World Series as ALCS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

John Farrell Will Go With Same Roster for World Series as ALCS

I agree with 24 of the 25 guys. My question is do the sox need 11 pitchers? What good is Morales if he's going to go into a game and walk guys. With the National League games, we would be better off with an extra bat like Lavarnway.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: John Farrell Will Go With Same Roster for World Series as ALCS

I'm sure they are thinking Morales won't walk the next batters he faces.

I think Ben made the final decision not John.

I would have thought Thornton might have gotten the nod over Franklin, but he might be rusty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomtom1. Show tomtom1's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with 24 of the 25 guys. My question is do the sox need 11 pitchers? What good is Morales if he's going to go into a game and walk guys. With the National League games, we would be better off with an extra bat like Lavarnway.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

I agree; Morales is a waste of a spot.  Does anyone feel comfortable when he comes in?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would have thought Thornton might have gotten the nod over Franklin, but he might be rusty.

[/QUOTE]

I looked at the stats and couldn't find much to choose between the two.  Pure guess is that Morales can get a single out against a single lefty better than Thornton.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why do you think the GM made the decision instead of the manager?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The GM makes the ultimate final call. I'm sure some GMs rely more on the manager input than others, and I'm not sure how Ben makes his choices, but I feel roster construction in the GM's job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The GM makes the ultimate final call. I'm sure some GMs rely more on the manager input than others, and I'm not sure how Ben makes his choices, but I feel roster construction in the GM's job.

[/QUOTE]
     The roster of players eligible has been chosen.  Thornton is eligible.  Why wouldn't it be the manager on the field choosing who will be playing on the field at this point?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
     The roster of players eligible has been chosen.  Thornton is eligible.  Why wouldn't it be the manager on the field choosing who will be playing on the field at this point?

[/QUOTE]

For the same reason he doesn't decide what free agents to sign in the winter. The GM provides the players and the manager decides how to use them.

Of course, Ben listens to John, but the final call is Ben's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For the same reason he doesn't decide what free agents to sign in the winter. The GM provides the players and the manager decides how to use them.

[/QUOTE]

ben already did his job. he assembled the roster. Farrell then picks 25 from the pool of players the GM put in place.

Farrell is the one with the gameplan so why shouldn't he get to pick the players best suited to execute it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is not the winter. The eligible players have already been chosen.  Why wouldn't the manager on the field choose the players to be used on the field at this point?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ben already did his job. he assembled the roster. Farrell then picks 25 from the pool of players the GM put in place.

Farrell is the one with the gameplan so why shouldn't he get to pick the players best suited to execute it.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

GMs have been known to even tell managers to play certain players. They certainly are the ones with the last word on who is on the 25 man roster

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is not the winter. The eligible players have already been chosen.  Why wouldn't the manager on the field choose the players to be used on the field at this point?

Yes, the eligible players have already been chosen... by Ben.

The GM provides the players: the manager manages them on the field.

Like I said, I'm sure Ben listens to what John asks, but Ben makes the final call.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, the eligible players have already been chosen... by Ben.

The GM provides the players: the manager manages them on the field.

Like I said, I'm sure Ben listens to what John asks, but Ben makes the final call.

[/QUOTE]

It's probably an group decision and even if it's Cherington's final call, I bet he'd go with the players Farrell wants. And in the end, what are we really talking about -- one spot? It probably comes down to Cherington asking, who do you want for the last spot, Morales, Thornton or Lavarnway as a third catcher?

Cherington isn't going to stick Farrell with a player that Farrell doesn't want, because if Farrell doesn't want the player, he's not going to use him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

I realize, ADG, you are just not content unless you get to cut some player and kick somebody when they're down.  Having said that, there's no great enthusiasm here to keep Morales on the roster, but Matt Thornton is no upgrade, and Lavarnway is about as useful as titz on a bullfrog.  

We're talking about the 25th player here.  Even Ryan Dempster has been moved up the depth chart one notch.  He and that extra pitcher will be useful in case there is a flood to mop up in a blowout game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]Cherington isn't going to stick Farrell with a player that Farrell doesn't want, because if Farrell doesn't want the player, he's not going to use him.[/QUOTE]

But BC can absolutely take a player off the table ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

My two cents...

The makeup and selection of the final playoff roster is an organizational process led by both Cherington and Farrel along with input from the ownership group. All have a voice but the final decision does belong to the GM who provides Farrel and the leadership team with the scouting reports and key matchups Etc Once they arrive at who's in the starting rotation. The decision then becomes what the makeup of the pen will be...which then drives what the makeup of the bench will be. the assumption is that those that played significant roles during the season are locks. End of the day we're talking about maybe two or three spots being open to debate. 

Factors that weigh into the decisions for the final roster spots...

1) Starting pitching: 4 starters...odd man goes to the pen and assumes the long man role or is left off the roster...Given that we ended the year with 6 healthy starters both Doubront and Dempster give the Sox two guys that can give them multiple innings early or if a game goes extra innings...

2) Bullpen: (7) Closer and two late inning relivers one lefty and one righty to pitch in high leverage situations "leading after 6". 1 Long man to eat innings to protect the pen in the case of a blowout and give the team multiple innings if a game goes extras...2 middle relievers ideally one lefty and one righty to match up with the other teams bench to bridge the 5th and 6th if the starter has to be pulled which allows the manager to save his setup guys...

Late innings: Uehara, Breslow & Tazawa

Middle/ Bridge: Workman & Morales

Long / multiple innings: Dempster and Doubront

In the end the choice comes down to Thornton, Britton or Morales to fill the middle innings lefty role. My guess is that Morales was chosen because he possesses swing and miss stuff...IMHO Thornton was never a consideration for the roster. i don't know that he's healthy and I suspect that he hasn't been since injuring his oblique.Which speaks to Cherington not letting his ego get in the way of making sound roster decisions. Some GM's might have insisted that his manager put a guy on the roster, because it was he that acquired him. Not sure why Britton was not a consideration but it might have to do with Farrel wanting to show that he trust Morales...we shall see in the combing days if he and Doubront's roles are switched.

3) Bench: (5) Need back up catcher, utility middle and corner infielders, pinch runners w speed, 4th outfielder, ideally a lefty and righty pinch hitters with a little pop...I like our bench...

The 2013 the World Series Rosters must be submitted to the league by 10:00 AM today...

Starters: Lester, Lackey, Buccholz & Peavy (4)

Bullpen: Uehara, Breslow, Tazawa, Dempster, Doubront, Workman & Morales (7)

Position Players: Ells, Victorino, Pedey, Papi, Napoli, Gomes, Salty, Drew & Bogaerts. (9)

Bench: Ross, Middlebrooks, Carp, Berry & Nava.(5)

Go Sox...13 1/2 hours or so to first pitch can't wait...what an amazing season for our hometowne nine...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Thornton was awful this year.  He was useless since the Sox picked him up.  Morales can at least throw hard and strike someone out.  I don't trust either of them but Thornton has done nothing to earn a spot on this roster either. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Would dump Morales, ship him to Astros or Padres,..jbj or Lavarnway

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My two cents...

The makeup and selection of the final playoff roster is an organizational process led by both Cherington and Farrel along with input from the ownership group. All have a voice but the final decision does belong to the GM who provides Farrel and the leadership team with the scouting reports and key matchups Etc Once they arrive at who's in the starting rotation. The decision then becomes what the makeup of the pen will be...which then drives what the makeup of the bench will be. the assumption is that those that played significant roles during the season are locks. End of the day we're talking about maybe two or three spots being open to debate. 

1) Starting pitching: 4 starters...odd man goes to the pen and assumes the long man role or is left off the roster...Given that we ended the year with 6 healthy starters both Doubront and Dempster give the Sox two guys that can give them multiple innings early or if a game goes extra innings...

2) Bullpen: (7) Closer and two late inning relivers one lefty and one righty to pitch in high leverage situations "leading after 6". 1 Long man to eat innings to protect the pen in the case of a blowout and give the team multiple innings if a game goes extras...2 middle relievers ideally one lefty and one righty to match up with the other teams bench to bridge the 5th and 6th if the starter has to be pulled which allows the manager to save his setup guys...

In the end the choice comes down to Thornton, Britton or Morales to fill the middle innings lefty role. My guess is that Morales was chosen because he possesses swing and miss stuff...IMHO Thornton was never a consideration for the roster. i don't know that he's healthy and I suspect that he hasn't been since injuring his oblique.Which speaks to Cherington not letting his ego get in the way of making sound roster decisions. Some GM's might have insisted that his manager put a guy on the roster, because it was he that acquired him. Not sure why Britton was not a consideration but it might have to do with Farrel wanting to show that he trust Morales...we shall see in the combing days if he and Doubront's roles are switched.

3) Bench: (5) Need back up catcher, utility middle and corner infielders, pinch runners w speed, 4th outfielder, ideally a lefty and righty pinch hitters with a little pop...I like our bench...

The 2013 the World Series Rosters must be submitted to the league by 10:00 AM today...

Position Players: Ells, Victorino, Pedey, Papi, Napoli, Gomes, Salty, Drew & Bogaerts. (9)

Go Sox...13 1/2 hours or so to first pitch can't wait...what an amazing season for our hometowne nine...

[/QUOTE]

Well said. My thought was that Morales has more swing and miss stuff than Thornton [could be right oblique could still be issue or reinjured] and was more capable of multiple innings, but w/ Doubront and Dempster on roster not sure that is needed. If he can't throw the ball over the plate in a tight game, thats a problem. Give me the guy who throws strikes more consistently in those situations is why I would prefer Thornton instead of Morales in those situations. Don't be surprised if a change occurs assuming he is healthy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Why in the world would Ben Cherington and John Farrell stay with these guys when the Sox failed to sweep the Rays or the Tigers?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My two cents...

[/QUOTE]

Great summary Bean.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, there is are not much difference among Britton (rookie), Morales and Thorton (often injure pitcher).

Morales didnt pitch that bad against Fielder.  As long he didnt give up a homerun or extra base hit.  I would take that walk instead seeing Britton or Thorton throwing a fast ball down in the middle and then give up sort of three run homerun!!  I know Fielder was hitting so horrible, and Morales can strike him out.  But never know!!

Morales pitched well in one game out of three games so far.  

If you all do not want him, I do not want Thorton.  In someway, I could rather to have Britton.  But Britton fell apart in the last six weeks of the season.  Better off to not to use him or other wise, if he blow the game for the Sox, he will easily have a mental break down for the rest of his career.  Let him stay off of the roster and restart for next season.

So meaning Farrell had to have one more pitcher on the staff where he do not have much choice.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

When he is on his game, Morales can be untouchable.  Let's just hope that's the Morales we will see in this series.

Walking a struggling lefty like Prince in 4 pitches just didn't seem right.  Then he almost gives up a GS to VMart if not for the Monster that reduced that shot to a 2 run go ahead double.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This team needs more OFers to not get at bats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This team needs more OFers to not get at bats.

[/QUOTE]

Carp, Nava and Berry?  that is three OF's on the bench!!