John Henry says its unlikely the Red Sox will resign Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

John Henry says its unlikely the Red Sox will resign Ellsbury

John Henry Says It’s Unlikely the Red Sox Will Re-Sign Jacoby Ellsbury:http://fenwayrefugees.com/?p=10362

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: John Henry says its unlikely the Red Sox will resign Ellsbury

I Thought he said because of Boras hes not confident to sign him to an extension DURING the season. I guess you could take that as unlikely. But to keep the comment in the correct context, he was asked about signing Ells before he becomes a FA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the reporter also was talking about signing Ellsbury "before the end of the year"

to which henry replied: “[Ellsbury’s agent] Scott [Boras] has a track record of taking his players to free agency so I’m not confident. It would be great if we could,”

I heard from God today.... and she sounded just like me.

what have i done? and who have i become?

I saw the Devil today..... and he looked a lot like me

I looked away.... I TURNED AWAYYY!

I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I Thought he said because of Boras hes not confident. I guess you could take that as unlikely.

Boras was Jason Veritek's Agent. While Boras was putting his usual public spin on his free agency, I remember Veritek saying "It's my decision, not his" May come down to if, or how much, Ellsbury wants to stay in Boston. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In no way can the Sox give Jacoby more than Pedie got, so he's a gonner.  Time to see what JBJ can do.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I can think of only 2 Scott Boras clients who have signed extensions prior to testing free agency. 

One was Carlos Gonzalez, who signed the largest extension ever for a player with 2 years of service time.  The other was Jered Weaver, who told Boras to work out a deal for him ebcause he wanted the extension, against the advice of Boras.

So either Ellsbury has to tell Boras he wants to stay and work something out, or we give him the largest extension ever.

I would say it is unlikely...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If John Henry says it's unlikely, then it's unlikely. After all , it is his money.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think most realistic fans have known this for years now.  I am happy to hear enry speak candidly and honestly.  Offer him a qualifying offer and take the pick... I haven't had the feeling that Ells has wanted to be here since the year he had a couple of injuriesthat lasted much much longer than anyone anticipated and felt the pressure of the media on him badmouthing him.  That was the year Beltre ran into Ells and he had another injury that I can't recall that kept him out for most of the year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Bora$$ was Jason Veritek's Agent. While Borass was putting his usual public spin on his free agency, I remember Veritek saying "It's my decision, not his" May come down to if, or how much, Ellsbury wants to stay in Boston. 

Yes, 'Tek said that after Bora$$ convinced 'Tek to go to FA, turning down what IIRC was a $12M offer from the Sox.  It was after 'Tek (and Bora$$) found out that there was no market for 'Tek that 'Tek said it was his decision.  Listening to Bora$$ cost 'Tek $11M and had it not been for 'Tek's taking control of his life away from Bora$$ it would have also cost him his last year with the Sox.

I wish more players would see what 'Tek saw too late - that there are more important things than being the highest paid player and that sometimes a player is better off taking a reasonable offer from their own team.  a la Pedey!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Bora$$ was Jason Veritek's Agent. While Borass was putting his usual public spin on his free agency, I remember Veritek saying "It's my decision, not his" May come down to if, or how much, Ellsbury wants to stay in Boston. 

Yes, 'Tek said that after Bora$$ convinced 'Tek to go to FA, turning down what IIRC was a $12M offer from the Sox.  It was after 'Tek (and Bora$$) found out that there was no market for 'Tek that 'Tek said it was his decision.  Listening to Bora$$ cost 'Tek $11M and had it not been for 'Tek's taking control of his life away from Bora$$ it would have also cost him his last year with the Sox.

I wish more players would see what 'Tek saw too late - that there are more important things than being the highest paid player and that sometimes a player is better off taking a reasonable offer from their own team.  a la Pedey!

You do realize that Pedey's deal makes him the highest paid second baseman in the history of the game right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

You do realize that Pedey's deal makes him the highest paid second baseman in the history of the game right?

For two seconds. Cano's contract will dwarf Pedroia's, and in a couple years with the inflationary nature of elite player salaries, $14 million will be the going rate for all borderline All-Star second basemen. This was definitely a hometown discount.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

As I have asked numerous times with out answer, which team or teams is willing to give Ells $100 million? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We should be asking Boras where should we trade Ells before the deadline that would give him a jump start on future negotiations--Houston(kidding), the Angels, Dodgers, M's, Giants, you tell us because we are not going to be in the bidding and if he stays we will make a QO and take the "pick" which will put Ells in the same boat as Bourn from last offseason.

Ells is a very good player however compared to JBJ--

Similar speed--maybe edge to Ells.

Good defenders in CF(JBJ would not balk at playing the corners.

JBJ has a much better arm.

JBJ has more power.

JBJ is younger hopefully able to avoid collisions.

A lot less money and still a Boras client: I like JBJ.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

We should be asking Boras where should we trade Ells before the deadline that would give him a jump start on future negotiations--Houston(kidding), the Angels, Dodgers, M's, Giants, you tell us because we are not going to be in the bidding and if he stays we will make a QO and take the "pick" which will put Ells in the same boat as Bourn from last offseason.

JBJ has more power.

Trading Ells before the deadline is GM suicide, and frankly not a smart move whatsoever. Seriously, why do you keep suggesting to trade your .300BA 380OBP leadoff hitter who has almost 40 SB? JBJ will not give you the production Ellsbury would the last 2 months of the season and into the playoffs. Thus, making the team worse. That, and BC has already come out and said that they are NOT taking away from the MLB team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

JBJ has more power.

I like Bradley too, but that is a very one-sided comparison.  Big speed age to Ellsbury--compared to him, Bradley doesn't even know how to steal a base.  Big hitting edge to Ellsbury--Bradley has yet to show he can hit MLB pitching, but Ellsbury was hitting MLB well in 2007 at the same age and has had three solid to great seasons in 2009, 2011, and 2013.  Bradley greater power is unproven, again because he hasn't shown power at the MLB level.  Avoiding collisions is not exactly a skill and some would say it's a negative attribute.

Bradley's three best assests are youth, price, and fielding ability, including an excellent arm and very good instincts. He might also be a good hitter.   Ellsbury is a proven offensive player who also has great speed in CF and has a gold glove.  There can be no question he will be missed in the Sox lineup, but I think he will be missed because of the likely price tag--something comparable to Crawford's $20M/year for x years.  Boras says Ellsbury is a franchise player, which is how he is going to price him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If Ellsbury gets to FA, he is gone.  Boras is his agent, so that's all but a fait accompli.  I cannot see the Sox giving a soon-to-be 30 YO CF a long-term contract that would probably require them to overpay him in the last 3-4 years of it.  Given his injury history -- against which he will be fairly or unfairly judged -- and the fact that Bradley is the heir apparent, it's not looking like he'll be back. 

Good player, would like to have him with a Pedey-like contract.  But given his age, his agent,  his susceptibility to injury, the $ it will cost the Sox and the fact that they have a replacement, I think they will pass. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'm not so convinced that Ellsbury will leave Boston. It'll depend on what other teams offer. The Red Sox won't overpay, but they're not going to let him go without at least talking to Boras about it. I get the sense that they never seriously entertained the thought of bringing Papelbon back. When it comes to Ellsbury, the details will matter. I don't think demand will be as high as some are forecasting.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

In no way can the Sox give Jacoby more than Pedie got, so he's a gonner.

It should be a good while before we hand out a bigger contract for a position player. Doing so would be a slap of disrespect at Pedroia. We should only consider it if the term is really short.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This reminds me of the Albert Pujols walk off from the Cards. That move and smart drafting have made them a better club. I agree with many Ells is a very good player--and amazingly he has stayed out of medical issues during his walk year--must be whatever he's eating. 

I like the idea of keeping your good players and bringinging them up through the Sox system. There is a difference between Pedroia and Ellsbury. Ells is not going to win us a WS. I think wev've seen a couple of good drafts. Like the Cards we have to make some stealth pick-ups a ]]]]] Beltran and find a catcher like Molina.

As I see it we have some pieces--Pedroia and Iggy and either Victorino or JBJ in CF. My suggestion make Vazquez earn it and keep Ross to mentor him. We have to be strong up the middle and if Iggy can improve his hitting so he is in the .250 range that will be acceptable.

I see Bogaerts and Cecchini fighting it out for third--I think Cecch wins and Boggie goes to left. If WMB is not traded off before the deadline I could see him at 1 B  platooning with Carp or Nava.

There will be some big changes but I think very positive changes. Our rotation will only get better and whomever doesn't make the rotation will be shoring up the pen.

Ells for Downs, Ells for Pence, Ells for Furbush,Ells for David Murphy(bring back one of our original Sox picks). Trade Ells for someone that won't take someone's spot for next season unless you can sign Murphy long term(3 or 4 Years) to play RF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

demand is irrelevant, it only takes one absurd offer and he certainly will net one of those from somewheres.

If he chooses the NYY over the West Coast I would be surprised. I agree Burrito someone will make him a crazy offer.