John Henry says its unlikely the Red Sox will resign Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: John Henry says its unlikely the Red Sox will resign Ellsbury

In response to MadMc44's comment:

This reminds me of the Albert Pujols walk off from the Cards. That move and smart drafting have made them a better club. I agree with many Ells is a very good player--and amazingly he has stayed out of medical issues during his walk year--must be whatever he's eating. 

I like the idea of keeping your good players and bringinging them up through the Sox system. There is a difference between Pedroia and Ellsbury. Ells is not going to win us a WS. I think wev've seen a couple of good drafts. Like the Cards we have to make some stealth pick-ups a ]]]]] Beltran and find a catcher like Molina.

As I see it we have some pieces--Pedroia and Iggy and either Victorino or JBJ in CF. My suggestion make Vazquez earn it and keep Ross to mentor him. We have to be strong up the middle and if Iggy can improve his hitting so he is in the .250 range that will be acceptable.

I see Bogaerts and Cecchini fighting it out for third--I think Cecch wins and Boggie goes to left. If WMB is not traded off before the deadline I could see him at 1 B  platooning with Carp or Nava.

There will be some big changes but I think very positive changes. Our rotation will only get better and whomever doesn't make the rotation will be shoring up the pen.

Ells for Downs, Ells for Pence, Ells for David Murphy(bring back one of our original Sox picks). Trade Ells for someone that won't take someone's spot for next season unless you can sign Murphy long term(3 or 4 Years) to play RF.

The are NOT trading Ellsbury this year. They are trying to win.
    The Sox will give him a QO and wait to see what the market sets for a value on him. My guess is they will make him an offer like Pedey and if he goes elsewhere, they will gladly take a 1st round comp pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Wait.

Did someone actually suggest the Sox deal Ellsbury for DAVID MURPHY?!?!??

Does the success of this  team really bother that many people?  

The Sox are NOT trading any starting players or pitchers from the MLB roster this week.  Not happening.  Those are the guys who have them in first and actually can continue in spite of all tje doomsday predictions, most of which started in March and all of which alot less l Iikely every day...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from VA Sox Fan. Show VA Sox Fan's posts

Ellsbury is not coming back. It's the reason I only name my cats after retired Red Sox.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

John Henry Says It’s Unlikely the Red Sox Will Re-Sign Jacoby Ellsbury:http://fenwayrefugees.com/?p=10362

Great ! If Ells wanted to stay he would get something done.I want to see what i'm worth. That means hightest bidder. Why not tell sox what you want up front if staying means so much.You know the old story ,the hightest bidder will get the ...I always wanted to play here i love the city bla bla bla stuff.Whoever gets Ells better tell their team doctors that they have their work cut out for them. What do his team mates think of Ells not wanting to be part of future.? Ithink that Ells and that thumb sucking Buch are really not that well liked. I could be wrong but i could most likely be right. If the Yankees could get Ells they would most likely move the fences in right field in so that Ells could put a few out. How about 175ft to right might work.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This reminds me of the Albert Pujols walk off from the Cards. That move and smart drafting have made them a better club. I agree with many Ells is a very good player--and amazingly he has stayed out of medical issues during his walk year--must be whatever he's eating. 

I like the idea of keeping your good players and bringinging them up through the Sox system. There is a difference between Pedroia and Ellsbury. Ells is not going to win us a WS. I think wev've seen a couple of good drafts. Like the Cards we have to make some stealth pick-ups a ]]]]] Beltran and find a catcher like Molina.

As I see it we have some pieces--Pedroia and Iggy and either Victorino or JBJ in CF. My suggestion make Vazquez earn it and keep Ross to mentor him. We have to be strong up the middle and if Iggy can improve his hitting so he is in the .250 range that will be acceptable.

I see Bogaerts and Cecchini fighting it out for third--I think Cecch wins and Boggie goes to left. If WMB is not traded off before the deadline I could see him at 1 B  platooning with Carp or Nava.

There will be some big changes but I think very positive changes. Our rotation will only get better and whomever doesn't make the rotation will be shoring up the pen.

Ells for Downs, Ells for Pence, Ells for Furbush,Ells for David Murphy(bring back one of our original Sox picks). Trade Ells for someone that won't take someone's spot for next season unless you can sign Murphy long term(3 or 4 Years) to play RF.

Do you read your own comments?   At the top, you compare Ellsbury to Pujols and laud the Cardinals astuteness for not overpaying to keep him.  That is an apt comparison.  But then you advocate dumping Ellsbury now in the middle of a pennant race, which the Cardinals absolutely did not do with Pujols and the Sox are very unlikely to do with Ellsbury. 

Ellsbury currently leads this team in runs scored, is second in hits, and third in total bases, plus he leads MLB in steals and is successful over 90% of the time, and you want to throw him away?  Absolutely nuts. 

I entirely agree 2014 is important and has all kinds of opportunities, but you seem to have written of 2013.  Why? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ells for Downs, Ells for Pence, Ells for Furbush,Ells for David Murphy(bring back one of our original Sox picks). Trade Ells for someone that won't take someone's spot for next season unless you can sign Murphy long term(3 or 4 Years) to play RF.

Do you read your own comments?   At the top, you compare Ellsbury to Pujols and laud the Cardinals astuteness for not overpaying to keep him.  That is an apt comparison.  But then you advocate dumping Ellsbury now in the middle of a pennant race, which the Cardinals absolutely did not do with Pujols and the Sox are very unlikely to do with Ellsbury. 

Ellsbury currently leads this team in runs scored, is second in hits, and third in total bases, plus he leads MLB in steals and is successful over 90% of the time, and you want to throw him away?  Absolutely nuts. 

I entirely agree 2014 is important and has all kinds of opportunities, but you seem to have written off 2013.  Why? 

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

We should be asking Boras where should we trade Ells before the deadline that would give him a jump start on future negotiations--Houston(kidding), the Angels, Dodgers, M's, Giants, you tell us because we are not going to be in the bidding and if he stays we will make a QO and take the "pick" which will put Ells in the same boat as Bourn from last offseason.

Ells is a very good player however compared to JBJ--

Similar speed--maybe edge to Ells.

Good defenders in CF(JBJ would not balk at playing the corners.

JBJ has a much better arm.

JBJ has more power.

JBJ is younger hopefully able to avoid collisions.

A lot less money and still a Boras client: I like JBJ.

Angels have Trout, Bourgous, Hamilton and Trumbo. Pujols as well. Do they pay Ells big money? Doubtful.

Dodgers have CC, Kemp, Puig, Ethier, and have Gonzo on the books at big money, and need to sign Kershaw.

Mariners? Maybe.

I really dont see anyone offering $100m if Ells is 30 years old and hits 10 HR's. 3/$45 or 4/$60 or sayonora. Teams are looking at BJ Up and learned their lesson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

demand is irrelevant, it only takes one absurd offer and he certainly will net one of those from somewheres.

Nothing is certain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

We should be asking Boras where should we trade Ells before the deadline that would give him a jump start on future negotiations--Houston(kidding), the Angels, Dodgers, M's, Giants, you tell us because we are not going to be in the bidding and if he stays we will make a QO and take the "pick" which will put Ells in the same boat as Bourn from last offseason.

JBJ has more power.

Angels have Trout, Bourgous, Hamilton and Trumbo. Pujols as well. Do they pay Ells big money? Doubtful.

Dodgers have CC, Kemp, Puig, Ethier, and have Gonzo on the books at big money, and need to sign Kershaw.

Mariners? Maybe.

I really dont see anyone offering $100m if Ells is 30 years old and hits 10 HR's. 3/$45 or 4/$60 or sayonora. Teams are looking at BJ Up and learned their lesson.

I dont think teams learn their lesson as there is always a couple/few players every year that get a head scratching deal.

Toronto and LAA and LAD come to mind. Pujols and Hamilton were stupid deals IMO. Toronto gave up way too much for Dickey. Also Atlanta with Upton. 

There will be a couple teams that will give Ellsbury at least 5-6 years at 15M. If they think Ellsbury can give them the kind of production hes capable of for the first 4 years, then I think he will be offered 5-6 to secure the deal hoping the dropoff in production is slow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Choo is a Free Agent too, so there is going to be competition.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Choo is a Free Agent too, so there is going to be competition.

I think Choo will be a teams back up plan. Or the teams that can afford the years or $$ will go after Choo...

I like Choo as a good 2-3 hitter. Hes over a year older than Ells and will turn 32 during the 2014 season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Time will tell if the Sox make any other moves before the deadline. W e will have to wait to see how Thornton turns out. JF seems bound and determined he can pitch to more than just lefties.

I like Drew as a defender but he's a 1-4 0r 1-5 type guy--we have the SS of the future that is similar and he's currently at 3 B. There must be a reason with a 3 B and a SS that can knock the ball out of the park playing at AAA and they can play adequate defense--not great like we have now, that WMB and Xman wouldn't get a call up.

I hope you guys are right about Ells---he will not be back in Boston unless Boras says accept the QO and try again next year for a long term deal.

I say offer him Pedroia's contract today and say you have until Mon. at midnight to accept it--there will be no more offers. Would you agree that's a fair offer--he's not a better player or worth as much to the org as Pedroia. Remember Nomar--he turned down $48 M and they found as good a SS in Orlando Cabrera and a gold Glove 1 B in Doug Mienkiewicz for him at the Trade Deadline.

We all know how the 2004 season turned out. No one player is irreplaceable. Call his bluff and put him in a position to turn down $100 M.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Time will tell if the Sox make any other moves before the deadline. W e will have to wait to see how Thornton turns out. JF seems bound and determined he can pitch to more than just lefties.

I like Drew as a defender but he's a 1-4 0r 1-5 type guy--we have the SS of the future that is similar and he's currently at 3 B. There must be a reason with a 3 B and a SS that can knock the ball out of the park playing at AAA and they can play adequate defense--not great like we have now, that WMB and Xman wouldn't get a call up.

I hope you guys are right about Ells---he will not be back in Boston unless Boras says accept the QO and try again next year for a long term deal.

I say offer him Pedroia's contract today and say you have until Mon. at midnight to accept it--there will be no more offers. Would you agree that's a fair offer--he's not a better player or worth as much to the org as Pedroia. Remember Nomar--he turned down $48 M and they found as good a SS in Orlando Cabrera and a gold Glove 1 B in Doug Mienkiewicz for him at the Trade Deadline.

We all know how the 2004 season turned out. No one player is irreplaceable. Call his bluff and put him in a position to turn down $100 M.

Boras will not work on a deal during the season. He's already said so. Thats why Henry said hes not confident. He was talking about working out a deal during the season. Giving him a deadline will do nothing but make possible future contract negotiations not so pleasant. Just offer him the QO and let the market dictate his worth. If its reasonably within reach, the Sox will make a respectable offer. If not, collect the comp pick and move on with JBJ and Vic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

The Sox aren't trading Ellsbury, period.  They'll gladly take the compensation pick if he walks.  They aren't going to give a player any "take it or leave it" offers in the middle of a pennant race, either.  It doesn't work that way.  Ellsbury is going to test the market & the Sox will gladly let him.  They have the best record in the A.L. right now and Ellsbury is a big part of it.  Why do you think they would ever consider trading him?!

It's also okay to lose a player to Free Agency.  They let Johnny Damon walk (another popular centerfielder) and that was absolutely the right move.  This team isn't going to trade a key player in the middle of a pennant race.  It makes zero sense.  As many have mentioned, Ben made it clear that they aren't trading anyone from the Major League roster...

Lastly, the Sox traded Nomar because he had become a defensive liability and a clubhouse malcontent.  Ellsbury is currently a huge asset to this team. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Satan Boras lives for FA.  no deal will be done before then for Ells.  someone will pony up more than the sox will offer.  if we were mired in last place, trade would be considered big time.  in our current position we will have ells in CF for what we all hope is a deep run into the PO's....

after the parade he will go south about 200 miles for the next 5 years....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to edsam44's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

Satan Boras lives for FA.  no deal will be done before then for Ells.  someone will pony up more than the sox will offer.  if we were mired in last place, trade would be considered big time.  in our current position we will have ells in CF for what we all hope is a deep run into the PO's....

after the parade he will go south about 200 miles for the next 5 years....

parade??? hope its better than the one you had for the bruins!

[/QUOTE]

...Or the Rangers?

Did you miss the "we all hope" part?

I realize you don't have much left, but other teams still do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

JBJ has more power.

Did you write this after a few pops because this is incredibly inaccurate.

Ells is drastically faster than JBJ... not even close.  JBJ has average speed, but gets good jumps on steals like Pedroia.

Ells has much more power and has a season with 32 homers.  His power isn't consistent, but from people that have seen him in batting practice, the power is there.

Ells is proven at the major league level and JBJ has not had success yet in the bigs.

I like JBJ, but let's go with reality instead of this dribble.  Bradley has a long way to go in order to take over for center for the Sox and it is no guarentee that he will have success until he does it.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Not really up to Boras - it is up to Ells.  Hope he has enough reasons to want to stay in Boston.  That's what it comes down to.  Ells is not a greedy, flamboyant kind of guy.  He knows he can get fair money anywhere.  He knows Henry will offer him fair money.  Its all about does he want to continue playing for Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Not really up to Boras - it is up to Ells.  Hope he has enough reasons to want to stay in Boston.  That's what it comes down to.  Ells is not a greedy, flamboyant kind of guy.  He knows he can get fair money anywhere.  He knows Henry will offer him fair money.  Its all about does he want to continue playing for Boston.

That's true, but it's also true that at this point Boras is driving the process, having convinced Ellsbury he should test the market.  Once the market is tested, then Ellsbury will make a decision.  I don't like Boras because he drives up salaries, but  would probably like him if I were a player.

That said, consider Pedroia.  He already has a couple of gold gloves, rookie of the year, and MVP, but he has deliberately avoided greediness by not making Boras his agent and by telling his agent he wants to stay in Boston as long as they pay him well but not excessively. 

There is some irony in that because the guy with all the plaudits is settling for less--but still a boatload of money through age 37 or so--and the guy with some plaudits but also some issues (injuries, etc) is hoping to get paid more than Pedroia. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Gee, I wish I believed that ^^^^^. I wish I did, but I don't. 

All Ellsbury has to do is walk into John Henry's office and say, "You just gave Dustin Pedroia so much money his grandchildren won't be able to spend it all.  If you'll do the same thing for me I'll sign immediately".

But he won't do that.  Why not?  Either because he's greedier than Pedroia or because Scott Bora$$ "won't let him". 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

demand is irrelevant, it only takes one absurd offer and he certainly will net one of those from somewheres.

Err, that's what "demand" means.

-Daf.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

JBJ has more power.

Did you write this after a few pops because this is incredibly inaccurate.

Ells is drastically faster than JBJ... not even close.  JBJ has average speed, but gets good jumps on steals like Pedroia.

Ells has much more power and has a season with 32 homers.  His power isn't consistent, but from people that have seen him in batting practice, the power is there.

Ells is proven at the major league level and JBJ has not had success yet in the bigs.

I like JBJ, but let's go with reality instead of this dribble.  Bradley has a long way to go in order to take over for center for the Sox and it is no guarentee that he will have success until he does it.  

Good Post. The way I look at it no Manager on earth would be starting a kid that was in Double AA, earlier in the year as a Lead-off hitter, and Centerfield in Play-offs and World Series unless he was special. Who also batted .438 in the World Series.