John Henry says its unlikely the Red Sox will resign Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: John Henry says its unlikely the Red Sox will resign Ellsbury

I love that some folks are fantasizing that Ells will be back despite Boras' determination to drive the price up. 

All that's needed is one team sucked into Ells' appeal and box office charm. 

Ells will not be back. 

I have also not seen enough mention of Ells' likely resentment of the Red Sox medical staff. In any deal that is close, this will work against the Sox. 

He's out. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I personally thought that there was more urgency in attempting to sign Ellsbury and not Pedoia wo the team still had two years of control over. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

I personally thought that there was more urgency in attempting to sign Ellsbury and not Pedoia wo the team still had two years of control over. 

Cant resign a player if they want to test FA first. The Sox mentioned an extension to Boras/Ellsbury, but were told that Ellsbury wants to test FA, which he has earned after 6 years of control.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I think most realistic fans have known this for years now.  I am happy to hear enry speak candidly and honestly.  Offer him a qualifying offer and take the pick... I haven't had the feeling that Ells has wanted to be here since the year he had a couple of injuriesthat lasted much much longer than anyone anticipated and felt the pressure of the media on him badmouthing him.  That was the year Beltre ran into Ells and he had another injury that I can't recall that kept him out for most of the year.

Ellsbreaky is the kind of player who misses a ton of time, for whatever reason, and will not play hurt. Schilling said that some guys can play hurt and some can't. Ellsbreaky and Breakholtz won't do it. That should certainly figure in how much money those two are offered when their contracts come up because they are, essentially, part time players-more so than other players, for reasons that may well be justified. The fact that their absences can be explained does not make them full time players. Both still miss a lot of time and, chances are, will continue to miss a lot of time in the future. For that reason I would not offer Ellsbreaky more than about $14M for three years, and thats not likely to get it done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think most realistic fans have known this for years now.  I am happy to hear enry speak candidly and honestly.  Offer him a qualifying offer and take the pick... I haven't had the feeling that Ells has wanted to be here since the year he had a couple of injuriesthat lasted much much longer than anyone anticipated and felt the pressure of the media on him badmouthing him.  That was the year Beltre ran into Ells and he had another injury that I can't recall that kept him out for most of the year.

Ellsbreaky is the kind of player who misses a ton of time, for whatever reason, and will not play hurt. Schilling said that some guys can play hurt and some can't. Ellsbreaky and Breakholtz won't do it. That should certainly figure in how much money those two are offered when their contracts come up because they are, essentially, part time players-more so than other players, for reasons that may well be justified. The fact that their absences can be explained does not make them full time players. Both still miss a lot of time and, chances are, will continue to miss a lot of time in the future. For that reason I would not offer Ellsbreaky more than about $14M for three years, and thats not likely to get it done.

[/QUOTE]

youd think if Ells refused to play when he's not 100% he would have landed on the DL more than twice in his career. Or miss more than 30 games while bieng on the active roster (non-DL time) in his career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This Ownership, along with Managent better have their evaluations right as far as JBJ. All this about is money, this Ownership has it.
    No disrespect to Pedey, if they give more to Ellsbury, the way it is. People want to bring in Lee, 25 million a year, but get ticked off when they want to sign their own.

Sox are making a big mistake if they dont resign Ellsbury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

This Ownership, along with Managent better have their evaluations right as far as JBJ. All this about is money, this Ownership has it.
    No disrespect to Pedey, if they give more to Ellsbury, the way it is. People want to bring in Lee, 25 million a year, but get ticked off when they want to sign their own.

Sox are making a big mistake if they dont resign Ellsbury.

and pedey who took a massive discount clearly doesn't care about the money so why would he get upset if another player on the team makes more than him? that's why he took the discount. so we can get and keep top talent. Jacoby is a top talent

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like Ellsbury too but this is a case where the Red Sox can really save a chunk of money.  Jackie Bradley Jr. will be a good and cheap centre fielder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I like Ellsbury too but this is a case where the Red Sox can really save a chunk of money.  Jackie Bradley Jr. will be a good and cheap centre fielder.

i'd rather have a superstar CF'er that i pay ~18M per IMO. Trade JBJ in the offseason for a power OF'er. While a future OF of JBJ/Ells/Vic looks good defensively it definitely lacks power.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to DaffyDan's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

demand is irrelevant, it only takes one absurd offer and he certainly will net one of those from somewheres.

Err, that's what "demand" means.

-Daf.

I believe demand means more than one when talking about a MLB FA..... if only one person wants to pay more for Internet service that doesn't mean there is a 'demand' for it. When we say 'high demand' it certainly pertains to more than one if not several teams seeking the player and willing to pay top dollar.

I am debating 'demand' on a baseball board with myself... time for me to move on. Embarassed

Don't worry, B, I won't leave you hanging.

In economic terms, demand is what the market is willing to pay for as commodity at a particular point in time. A market can be one person (one owner) or many (all owners). Just as supply can be one thing (Ellsbury) or many (Outfielders).

From Wikipedia The term demand signifies the ability or the willingness to buy a particular commodity at a given point of time.

The Internet and MLB are two different marketplaces. And demand and supply have different effects. The Internet is a commoditized or "perfectly competitive" market; where supply is practically infinite, and demand of one person has little or no effect, since the infinite supply of the product by multiple suppliers (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc...) are what generally determines price. Baseball is a market where supply is limited. In a limited supply situation, the demand of one crazy person can have a huge effect on the price.

-Daf.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for starting this the way you did. I quit reading right after "Ellsbreaky".  What you say often has a lot of merit but I refuse to read posts written by anyone who shows such disrespect for players on "my" team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

i'd rather have a superstar CF'er that i pay ~18M per IMO. Trade JBJ in the offseason for a power OF'er. While a future OF of JBJ/Ells/Vic looks good defensively it definitely lacks power.

[/QUOTE]

2011 is the only time Jacoby has had more than 9 HR's.  One season doesn't make him a power hitter, or a superstar. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bradley is slugging .493 for the PawSox.  He does have power.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2011 is the only time Jacoby has had more than 9 HR's.  One season doesn't make him a power hitter, or a superstar. 

[/QUOTE]

never said he was a power hitter. but he is a superstar. If you are one of the best players of your position then you are a superstar. Jacoby is among the best CF'ers in the game. i would argue that he IS the best. He is also the best leadoff man in the game and the best base stealer in the league. If you can do all that and not be a superstar then idk what makes you one.... If he had an arm he would be the perfect ball player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

mef 429, I do respect your take on this.  You're supporting a player you like.  Nothing wrong with that.  I don't mean to put Ellsbury down.  He's been a very good player for us. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

mef 429, I do respect your take on this.  You're supporting a player you like.  Nothing wrong with that.  I don't mean to put Ellsbury down.  He's been a very good player for us. 

i feel the same way HFX. sorry if i came off as confrontational. wasn't trying to be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to edsam44's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

Satan Boras lives for FA.  no deal will be done before then for Ells.  someone will pony up more than the sox will offer.  if we were mired in last place, trade would be considered big time.  in our current position we will have ells in CF for what we all hope is a deep run into the PO's....

after the parade he will go south about 200 miles for the next 5 years....

parade??? hope its better than the one you had for the bruins!

[/QUOTE]

ummmm.....this is a baseball forum not hockey.  but since you brought it up...i am a NY Rangers fan.  so yeah, no parade expected anytime soon for my hockey club.  it doesnt matter though because i would gladly trade any stanley cup for Sox playoffs......and it looks like i may get that this year.  how's about your baseball team?  are they looking to be playoff bound?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Bradley is in a little slump, batting .178 last 11 games. Avg. dipped from .297 to .274.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I like Bradley a lot, but believe his offensive ability is unproven at the MLB level.  In 2007 when Ellsbury came up and Crisp was in center field, Ellsbury was the better hitter immediately. 

Ellsbury's offense is proven at the MLB level. 2011 was a great year, but go ahead and throw it out.  Right now, this year, he leads the team in runs, is tied for the most hits, and is third in total bases, to say nothing of leading MLB in stolen bases.  Bradley has demonstrated nothing like that at the MLB level.   Jacoby has a weak arm, but that did not prevent him from getting a gold glove in CF. 

There are three barriers to the Sox re-signing Ellsbury.  First is obviously the price, which could be as high as $20M x 5 years.  Second is Bradley, who is questionable on offense, but very good on defense and could prove to be decent on offense.  Third is Victorino, who plays a pretty good centerfield and has a good arm and is decent if not great on offense--and he has a three year contract for $39M with the Sox. 

One more thought.  The Sox are in a virtual tie with the Tigers for the best offense in MLB, and they are doing it with one heavy hitter and only one, Ortiz.  They are doing it with a pretty good overall lineup and with maybe the best leadoff hitter in MLB, Ellsbury.  Last year the offense was lousy with AGon, et al, but mostly without Ellsbury.  This year the offense is very good without AGon but with a healthy Ellsbury (and Pedroia and Ortiz and Napoli and others of course).  I still don't think the Sox will sign Ellsbury, but do think they will make him a good offer. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I like Bradley a lot, but believe his offensive ability is unproven at the MLB level.  In 2007 when Ellsbury came up and Crisp was in center field, Ellsbury was the better hitter immediately. 

Ellsbury's offense is proven at the MLB level. 2011 was a great year, but go ahead and throw it out.  Right now, this year, he leads the team in runs, is tied for the most hits, and is third in total bases, to say nothing of leading MLB in stolen bases.  Bradley has demonstrated nothing like that at the MLB level.   Jacoby has a weak arm, but that did not prevent him from getting a gold glove in CF. 

There are three barriers to the Sox re-signing Ellsbury.  First is obviously the price, which could be as high as $20M x 5 years.  Second is Bradley, who is questionable on offense, but very good on defense and could prove to be decent on offense.  Third is Victorino, who plays a pretty good centerfield and has a good arm and is decent if not great on offense--and he has a three year contract for $39M with the Sox. 

One more thought.  The Sox are in a virtual tie with the Tigers for the best offense in MLB, and they are doing it with one heavy hitter and only one, Ortiz.  They are doing it with a pretty good overall lineup and with maybe the best leadoff hitter in MLB, Ellsbury.  Last year the offense was lousy with AGon, et al, but mostly without Ellsbury.  This year the offense is very good without AGon but with a healthy Ellsbury (and Pedroia and Ortiz and Napoli and others of course).  I still don't think the Sox will sign Ellsbury, but do think they will make him a good offer. 

jacoby makes our offense go. he grinds out ABs, gets on base and wreaks havok. the threat to steal is always in the pitcher and catchers head and it results in more FBs to our next 2-4 hitters who feast on FBs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Am I misssing something? Though the headline quotes Henry as saying it's unlikely the Sox will re-sign Ellsbury, Henry simply says he's "not confident" they'll get  it done before the end of this season. That's a very big difference.

To quote Billy Shakespeare,  much ado about jack squat.

Oh, and the notion of trading Ellsbury before the deadline makes zero sense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Am I misssing something? Though the headline quotes Henry as saying it's unlikely the Sox will re-sign Ellsbury, Henry simply says he's "not confident" they'll get  it done before the end of this season. That's a very big difference.

To quote Billy Shakespeare,  much ado about jack squat.

Oh, and the notion of trading Ellsbury before the deadline makes zero sense.

i said the same thing. FOR SHAME JBAY!
    why the deceit Jbay?!? the only logical conclusion is that you work for BDC and are trying to bump site traffic by creating false and controversial threads!

oh yeah. and you're a closet yankee fan Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I haven't at all given up on the idea of seeing Ellsbury in a Sox uniform next year.  There's a HUGE distance between being confident we can sign him before the end of the season and not being able to sign him at all. 

I see this coming down to a bidding war between two teams, the Sox and one other team who has it in their mind they HAVE to have Ells at any price.  If it comes to that we probably won't land him, but if it doesn't come to that I like our chances. 

This team would be significantly worse offensively next year without Ells, and conversely, significantly better with him. I've got to believe the FO recognizes that and will make a solid effort to sign him.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hfx I think that's why they may really go after Lee and Young. They will save the money on Ells have JBJ in CF they won't resign Nap unless he has a monster end of season and playoff. There's the money for Lee on the table. 

Sections
Shortcuts