JOHN HENRY SUCKS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

JOHN HENRY SUCKS

Cares more about his yacht and soccer team. Fires francona and injures foot on yacht to cop out of meeting

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leeang143. Show leeang143's posts

Re: JOHN HENRY SUCKS

You need to remember previous ownerships!  86 years without a world series championship and he has won 2 in 10 years!  As much as I disagree with firing Tito give the man credit for spending and winning!

Response to JOHN HENRY SUCKS:
    Cares more about his yacht and soccer team. Fires francona and injures foot on yacht to cop out of meeting
    Posted by condognh

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to JOHN HENRY SUCKS:
    Posted by condognh

He is a business man get over it. Despite our devotion to the RS and we can only look at the RS.
    He has to look at the whole business picture for himself, partners and stock & stake holders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: JOHN HENRY SUCKS:
    You need to remember previous ownerships!  86 years without a world series championship and he has won 2 in 10 years!  As much as I disagree with firing Tito give the man credit for spending and winning!  Response to JOHN HENRY SUCKS :
    Posted by leeang143

Keyword: Spending

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

Spending on players with no heart but good numbers

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Spending on players with no heart but good numbers
    Posted by condognh
    Is that henry's fault or the GM's?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from condognh. Show condognh's posts

Gutless menuever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I agree is his 100% a Businessman. I do not blame him for that, however I do suggest to him that he sell the Red Sox now while the value may still be high and maximize his profits. I for one and looking for an Owner that not only is a great businessperson, but has a deep passion for winning and has the Red Sox best interest in mind at all times. John Henry clearly lacks the passion for our Red Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Where do you think the Red Sox can find a Robert Kraft like owner for this team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Are you saying you wnt him to be more like Jerry Jones?

The only thing John Henry needs to do is sign the checks - other than that, he should stay out of the way,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yeah, i don't see the issue here, other than the poor timing of his yacht-slip vis-a-vis the Sox nightmare.  As long as he keeps his wallet open, I would prefer he stay aloof.  I hate Jerry Jones types.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Spaceman, agreed.  The guy lets his GM spend like a drunken sailor (no offense to the sailors out there) and he's a bad owner?  He has baseball men in place to make business decisions for him -- like most big business men do.  So I guess Francona is a bad manager who knows little about game management (despite his success here).  My criticism of Henry is that perhaps he lets Theo and the FO spend too much in free agency, which has led to some pretty bad mistakes.  (I know, not wanting to spend, spend, spend is heresy to some.)  Drafting, trades and finding guys to play roles is Theo's forte, not picking high priced free agents apparently. 

How the Rays and other small market teams continually develop talent to stay competitive is amazing.  Any GM can write a big check to a Renteria, Lackey, Crawford, Drew, Lugo, etc.  At least with the Gonzalez trade he had to have the chips in place to land the guy, so no problem with the big contract there. 

Yeah, i don't see the issue here, other than the poor timing of his yacht-slip vis-a-vis the Sox nightmare.  As long as he keeps his wallet open, I would prefer he stay aloof.  I hate Jerry Jones types.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Spaceman, agreed.  The guy lets his GM spend like a drunken sailor (no offense to the sailors out there) and he's a bad owner?  He has baseball men in place to make business decisions for him -- like most big business men do.  So I guess Francona is a bad manager who knows little about game management (despite his success here).  My criticism of Henry is that perhaps he lets Theo and the FO spend too much in free agency, which has led to some pretty bad mistakes.  (I know, not wanting to spend, spend, spend is heresy to some.)  Drafting, trades and finding guys to play roles is Theo's forte, not picking high priced free agents apparently.  How the Rays and other small market teams continually develop talent to stay competitive is amazing.  Any GM can write a big check to a Renteria, Lackey, Crawford, Drew, Lugo, etc.  At least with the Gonzalez trade he had to have the chips in place to land the guy, so no problem with the big contract there.  In Response to Re: JOHN HENRY SUCKS :
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I agree with you.  I think having the mega-bucks at his disposal actually swayed Theo from his money-ball-ish modus operendi.  Getting the 'best available free agent on the market' is one of the least succesful gambles in the game today.  Theo should know better.  But money blinds.  So, yeah, maybe Henry should be more judicious with his capital, but, thats why he hired and has retained the services of a guy like Epstein.  I just don't feel like an owner like Henry should be calling shots on baseball decisions.  For better or for worse.  But, my feeling is that 9 times out of 10, it would be for the worse

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Cannibalizing part of my post from the Mazz column thread ... appropriate here.

What Massarotti wrote (and I would agree) is that the John Henry of 2003-200? is not the same one we see today.  And that has had a negative impact on the team.

Players have better years / periods in their careers, and then they get old and their skills deteriorate.  The same certainly can be true of front offices.  In fact, the only constant in life is change, and in a business as large and competitive as pro sports, you must assume each year that what you did last year is not good enough, even if you win, because everyone else will be studying and copying you.

The RS got stagnant after the second WS win.  Any way you wish to measure (stats, emotions, anecdotes) that's so.  All who participated share in that.

As the de facto CEO / Guy In Charge at Yawkey Way, John Henry is responsible.  I have been very, very fortunate to work with some great leaders, and I asked one recently how he did it, and what he thought his job was.

"Show up every day and make sure morale is high, and that everyone understands the mission of what we're doing."  This guy is brilliant in so many ways - I was surprised that he didn't mention strategic moves (he's fantastic at them), or process analysis ... nope.

You make sure that everyone is doing their best.

Culture within an organization always - always - comes from the very top.  Henry should have resolved Francona's situation earlier in the year - letting his contract status twist in the wind is simply not what MLB organizations do any more.  You don't tell Theo to issue some statement about "we don't talk about that during the season" and expect everyone (players and managers especially included) swallow it.  Human beings are observant and smart.

And so he made it clear that Francona lacked his support - but lacked the balls to fire him.  It's an error in judgement, and directly contributed to players tuning out their manager.

Henry also looks like he's discovered soccer; grand.  Where are the forum entries on Sons of Sam Horn?  The late night emails to beat writers?  His interest has lessened, and that's OK, but he would have been smart to do little things like tell the media "Larry is really the guy now." 

Instead he's become a lampoonable shadow figure, the Wizard of Yawkey Way, lurking behind a sail instead of a curtain, but just as hard to pin down.

There's also a time to call out your players.  When John Lackey stared down Terry Francona, a good owner would never permit that.  Ever.  Had he done something behind closed doors, we should have seen Lackey apologize.

Good chief executives know that, ultimately, they are responsible for all that happens.

That includes a shift in team culture.

If he is no longer able to be a leader (just a signer of checks in your parlance), then he needs to turn it over to someone who will be more active.

Bringing up Jerry Jones is actually a great point.  Are you aware that he is not only the Cowboys' owner, but their GM?  Isn't the GM supposed to be very hands on?

Is he a bad GM?  No doubt not a great one ... but the RS FO structure is not similar to the Cowboys'. 

It's not the level of interfering with others' job performance that is debatable, it is the lack of empowering them to do those jobs.

Theo was possibly TOO empowered (the loss of funds is staggeringly offensive); Francona empowered enough?  Will we know? 

There are other organizations with owners who are reclusive, but still make sure that everyone is on the same page.  They're not all Arte Moreno or Robert Kraft.  Or, thanks God, Al Davis.

And John Henry has some fantastic accomplishments as RS owner; I certainly don't want him gone.

I just want him acting like he did in the middle part of the decade: present, visible, engaged, and a guiding presence.  None of that this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Just about everyone involved with this team is over-rated.

Except Pedroia and Francona.

Since this team got acquainted with success everyone gets credit for being "the best" or "the smartest" or something.

John Henry , I think, might sell his mother for the right price. Do you see this guy as a fan of NASCAR? or did he just get involved because of the opporunity to make more money? So I definately agree with the businessman statement. But, that being said, at least our owner is a BETTER businessman man than the guy who almost bought this team, Frank McCourt ( Dodgers bankrupt owner). He may not be the best owner, but certainly not the worst.

Theo Epstein is a likable guy , very smart. Too many of his moves look good on paper, then go awry. We all thought Daisuke was going to be the next Pedro...he is not even the next Al Nipper. J.D.Drew played defensivly well, but we can only guess that Dr. Drew from CNN might actually be a better hitter. We were excited about Wily Mo Pena' power, until we could see that he makes contact less often than Haley's Comet comes around. Eric Gagne...we thought, "wow, what a bullpen we will have!" ...until he actually threw the ball. But there were some really good moves Saltalmacchia looks like a great move, Adrian Gonzalez, a few others. Theo proved he was not the greatest GM, but again, he's not the worst ( check out some of the Mets moves in the last little while).

But Tito, was never over-rated. He was the guy who was awful in Philadelphia. The guy everyone said was going to ruin things. He is the Rodney Dangerfield of Red Sox Nation. Even when they win, it was in spite of him, not because he made a good decision.  What did he do? He won two championships in 8 years. Not many managers in baseball today have that on their resume. Does he get respect? No, he leaves town in disgrace.

Does John Hebry suck?, Does Theo suck? Did Francona suck? no. no . no.

Guess who sucks?

We do. The fans and media suck. We want to win every year. We are not satisfied with winning twice in eight years. We don't want to suffer any more. That is imperfect logic...no team can win every year.

We no longer are happy with coming close.

On second thought, maybe this is not a bad thing. But it sucks that we expect perfection out of everybody....but not from ourselves.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

In Response to JOHN HENRY SUCKS:
    Posted by condognh

Linda Pizzuti likes his money and her shopping sprees on Newbury St.     

Sections
Shortcuts