John Lackey Deserves Some Respect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

John Lackey Deserves Some Respect

Three wins with a 2.72 ERA, in shape with a good attitude.  It's time Red Sox fans give the man some love and respect.  He pitched hurt for two years and went through a divorce.  He is trying  and doing all the right things.  Give him support.  He is only going to get better and better as he gets stronger after TJ surgery.  I admit that I was disgusted with him those first two years but he has won me over.  Now that Beckett and his poor attitude are gone all is good with Lackey.  He is now our number three starter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: John Lackey Deserves Some Respect

Hes starting to do what I had hoped. After a few starts, hes really finding a nice groove. Lots of GB and a nice pace out there. Good for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I agree, but why start another Lackey thread?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Because the other ones are all negative.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Because the other ones are all negative.

Mine wasn't.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before tonight's big game by Lackey, he had some intersting comparative numbers with our other starters:

SIERA

1) 3.29 Lackey

2) 3.46 Buch

3) 3.69 Demp

4) 3.74 Lest

5) 4.11 Doub

League AVG: 4.07 (AL 4.07)

tERA

1) 3.11 Buch

2) 3.73 Lack

3) 4.05 Lest

4) 4.34 Demp

5) 4.57 Doub

League AVG: 4.51 (AL 4.59)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

There really was no reason for fans to show Lackey any disrespect since he's been here.  He pitched lousy -- but he wasn't a bad guy....so, he didn't kiss the local media's azz...good for him.

I think his antics on the field when a fellow player misplayed a ball really irked many fans, myself included, but later it turned out the players really like Lackey and he had explained to them that his antics were directed towards himself not them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to stapleton's comment:

There really was no reason for fans to show Lackey any disrespect since he's been here.  He pitched lousy -- but he wasn't a bad guy....so, he didn't kiss the local media's azz...good for him.

I think his antics on the field when a fellow player misplayed a ball really irked many fans, myself included, but later it turned out the players really like Lackey and he had explained to them that his antics were directed towards himself not them.

There are guys guys who can "get away" with being what seems like jerk on the field. I have to assume the difference is what the fans don't see off the field. I kind of think it comes down to the other players thinking the intensity stems from a desire to win. If a guy is a self-centered jerk off the field that would really play into what the player did on the field. 

It's well established you don't see current, or former teammates who have issues with Lackey, and even opposing players don't. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Because he has been getting bashed in thread after thread since he arrived.  This board showed no mercy.  Him getting some love now is totally appropriate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I never bashed Lackey, never felt the need to either.  Couldnt really defend him either, but I'm happy to see him pitching well.  He actually didn't pitch that bad his first year here, and if you can explain the next two years with his injury shouldn't really be THAT surprising he is having a good year when you look at his careawhile a whole.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Sanfordson's comment:

In response to jimdavis' comment:

Because he has been getting bashed in thread after thread since he arrived.  This board showed no mercy.  Him getting some love now is totally appropriate.

Lackey is doing well now and the former Lackey haters are coming out of the closet. They are saying " I always expected more, he was overpaid, he had a bad attitude,   --- but don't get me wrong " I will love the guy if he ever turns it around."

All is forgiven when a basher for years admits that he was impatient, assuming, flippant, obstinate, and uberpassionate ( without logic  or reason) does a 180 degree about face and talks like a different person.

so your saying, multiple times on multiple threads under multiple names, that admitting they are wrong is.....wrong? I dont know what kind of mission you are on pike, but its not healthy.

I didnt like the signing, but always wished him well. I thought offering almost 16M per to a guy with obvious arm issues was incompetent. This was the start of the organization veering off course IMO. Signing the best available whether it was a good fit or not. "Make a splash".

It wasnt his fault they signed him and Im sure he tried his best. There were reasons not to like him as a fan. His demeanor on the mound towards his team mates after a missed play, never sounding like he was taking accountability for a bad performance with his, "The ball was coming out of may hand good" instead of just simply. "I stunk".

I understand his personal issue and realize these guys are human and not robots, no matter what they are making in terms of dollars and always take that into consideration. He was dealing with a bad arm which had to be frustrating him, an erratic personal life with a wife having cancer AND going through a divorce with her. Add to that a hostile fan base that was relentless when it came to piling on him. Taking that year off was the best thing that could happen.

Now that all that is behind him, he appears to be a totally different person in terms of attitude, and performance.He went through a lot in his life, both personally and professionally and came out the other side. Hes a stronger man because of it and he looks 100 times better out there. THAT is something to cheer for.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to jimdavis' comment:

That's true, but there have been a number of positve threads on him this year. I started one in April, and there was another on the front page about an hour earlier when this one was started. Not that big of a deal -- better than five or six threads on the same subject at the same time -- but it can be annoying when a thread is started on a subject when there is already a discussion on the front page going on.

Sections
Shortcuts