John Lackey! We don't hate you, we only want you to be near perfect.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

John Lackey! We don't hate you, we only want you to be near perfect.

Dear John,

You are now in a position that many former Red Sox players have found themselves in during their time in Boston.

None of us hate you as much as you might think. We only want you to make every pitching outing into an opportunity for the Red Sox and us (the fans of the Red Sox) to win.

We CARE!  We live and die with our sports teams in this neck of the woods.  Probably more than the old Angels' fans cared and also probably more than you ever thought that we cared.  It is what we do and it is what we are.  We live and die with the Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots and Bruins.  It is our calling.

You have not helped yourself by not pitching better even though we don't consider your effort unsatisfactory (although we do like your last couple of games), but you have really hurt yourself in the eyes of Sox fans with your approach to our criticism and to the press.  You certainly should have tipped your hat to the fans who gave you a nice ovation after your last home start.

My friend, you are not Ted Williams (the greatest f---ing hitter ever) and only Ted got away with such an act.  And, it took him a really long time for his actions to be forgiven by many.

Take a look at Pedroia and Youkilis and Varitek and Beckett and Wakefield (and others who 'understand') and learn from them.  Not one of these guys are local to our area, but they either knew or figured it out that the fans here don't hate players personally when they are not 100% successful.

We only want you to be perfect players who dig in, go a million miles an hour, stand tall when things don't work out and become one of us in every way possible.

We sometimes even understand that you guys as players cannot be perfect, but how you handle our frustration will go a long way to how we feel about you.

There have been many guys who weren't perfect (even poor players) players who we will always love.  There were guys who were pretty good players here who we will never respect.

Deep down, we want you to be one of those guys that we will always love.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Re: John Lackey! We don't hate you, we only want you to be near perfect.

actually, you're right. i don't hate SLACKEY. I extremely dislike the FOOL that signed him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Hate is a strong word.

Some people may "live and die" with sports teams, but I gave that up a long time ago.

I "died" so many times in the 70's, then I came to my senses and just sat back and enjoyed it without the living and dying aspect. I guess it's part of getting older and wiser. I can't remember the last time I threw a fit when an umpire made a bad call, I think it might've been in the 80's but it could've been longer ago than that.

Lackey is O.K. in my book. I know deep down he would like to pitch better, but he's frustrated and he has struggled. Just Like Julio Lugo, I know these guys would rather play well, but it doesn't always work out. Drew is a different story, he really irks me because I know he can swing at those outside pitches that he thinks are balls and foul them off, instead he watches the umpire ring him up time after time after time...he just never seems to learn. But yet, I can't bring myself to say I "hate" him, just that I'd rather he were playing elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i hate his slackjawed yokel face....i just wish he would be a little more consistent, and earn some of that 82-mil contract....and i still hate him. :-)

Sections
Shortcuts