John Lackey's contentious postgame press conference-Your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

John Lackey's contentious postgame press conference-Your thoughts?

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff June 22, 2011 07:14 PM

Here's a complete transcript of John Lackey's postgame press conference:

Q: How tough were the conditions out there?

A: They weren't great.

Q: Did that affect you in any way?

A: I don't think I've hit anybody with the bases loaded before, no.

Q: How did you feel before the delay?

A: Felt OK. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just felt like I was just getting into the game.

Q: Was the pitch to Venable one you felt good about?

A: It wasn't a great pitch. It was a cutter I left over the plate, for sure. You know, leadoff hitter. What are you going to do?

Q: Was every grip really tough in that (fourth) inning? Just gripping the ball with every pitch?

A: I don't know. You guys are going to write what you want to write. Whatever.

And that was that after 15 seconds of uncomfortable silence. The entire press conference lasted about 90 seconds.

Personally, I think Lackey is a decent guy and I think he pitched better last season than people give him credit for. I also have empathy for the guy and what he is going through in his personal life. You'd have to be heartless not to.

But none of those questions were antagonistic. To be honest, they were pretty much softballs. Answering questions in that fashion will only serve to make a tough season even harder on him.

Lackey is signed through the end of the 2014 season. He wasn't drafted by the Red Sox or obtained via a trade. He chose to come here knowing this was a market where fans care deeply about baseball and where the media attention is focused on the team. No player spends eight years in the majors without knowing what places like Boston, New York and Philadelphia are all about. It's great when you win and it's brutal when you lose. That's just how it is.

Lackey has 3.5 years left on his contract and they're going to be brutal ones if he can't come to grips with the atmosphere here.

Whether it's a teammate, his pitching coach, his manager or even Theo Epstein, somebody needs to get through to Lackey. This is headed down a road nobody wants to be on, least of all him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: John Lackey's contentious postgame press conference-Your thoughts?

Everytime this guy gets lit up, he takes it out on the media, teamates, and never just comes out and says "I stunk the joint up tonight", like Josh does..There is a way to survive in Boston JL, and you my friend...have no idea..Peter A is right when he says "No player spends eight years in the majors without knowing what places like Boston, New York and Philadelphia are all about. It's great when you win and it's brutal when you lose. That's just how it is." If Lackey doesnt change his tune and attitude, its going to be a long, brutal, 4 more years here in Boston for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

If memory serves, Beckett's past admissions of guilt or responsibility for how he pitched in no way alleviated the brickbats from the Boston press.  Remember, these are the same kind of guys who regularly attacked Ted Williams.  As Abraham says, Sox fans are passionate and the reporters reflect that.  So does this website. 

Given all that Lackey has been through this year, I give him a pass for not carefully formulating an appropriate mea culpa.  His first month plus was horrendous, worst ERA in MLB, followed by a trip to the DL and then three decent starts (pitched 19.2 innings, giving up 11 runs) and three decent innings (1 run) yesterday.  Then that horrendous 4th after the rain delay and while it was still drizzling, in which he walks guys, hits guys, throws a wild pitch, sees a sacrifice bunt go for a single and then a solid single, and gives up 4 runs while getting just one guy out.  On top of which, he consistently over-reacts to everything that goes on behind, especially if he thinks the defense screwed up. 

More to the point, I don't really care about how composed Lackey is with the press when he is not pitching well.  What I really care about is his next start.  That's where his focus needs to be. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I don't care much what Lackey does in his postgames.  All I care about is what he does in his games.  His personality was well-known when he was signed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

exactly Hfx..I didnt like the pitcher or the deal from the start..But I have refrained from bashing any one of our players as I see it as infantile...I really dont care how he treats the media, all im saying is that the way he does treat them, is NOT going to make things better or easier for him..In the past I have praised him for the QS last year and an overall decent performance..Hes a 4th or 5th starter IMO that is not worth more than say 8-10mil..maybe..I hope he can turn things around for the Sox sake..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Okay, I am ignorant of what "personal problems" he is enduring this year. Would someone please fill me in with a link or quick summary. Ill children, wife? I am sure it is something that would affect anyone very negatively, however if it is so mentally debilitating, maybe the Red Sox should consider shelving him for the rest of the year. We can't afford this to continue long term. As far as his post-game comments, business as usual for him. He will never connect with our fan base and certainly not the media. John, pull the Man-Ram thing of refusing to talk to the press. Save yourself and us from these non-informing conversations.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

His wife, a New Hampshire grad (and Sox fan of course) who now lives in California and whom Lackey married in 2008, was diagnosed with breast cancer last November.  They apparently caught it at a very early stage, but that doesn't keep him from worrying a lot. 

Just watching Lackey on the mound, you know he reacts to stuff around him.  He almost invariably frowns when he thinks the defense screwed up.  There can be little doubt that he feels the pressure from getting that sweet contract, followed by a mediocre (but not horrendous) season last year and what has been a horrendous season so far this year.  The DL time probably helped him because his first three starts afterward were better--19.2 innings, 11 runs--if not dominant (even though he pitched 8 innings in the third game against the good-hitting Brewers). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

How come Lackey always sounds like he has a mouth full of food?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

hey max,

thanks for the apology, but SLACKEY did the same thing when he was with the ANGELS. what was his excuse then? actually, i blame theo more than slackey.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Re: John Lackey's contentious postgame press conference-Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE] Remember, these are the same kind of guys who regularly attacked Ted Williams.  
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Those guys are all dead. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I saw Laskey pitch twice this year and both times he was awesome.(once in Anaheim, 8-0 shut out). Salary aside, he is now a #4 pitcher that will keep the team in most games giving up 4 runs in 6 innings. He will take the ball every 5th day and compete. I prefer his fire to laid back.
    Aj Burnett, Joel Pineiro, DiceK...Beckett every other year, Carpenter, Jiminez. Other than the media scrutiny, I don't see much of a difference between Lackey and numerous other pitchers. Best Lackey pull a Manny and not speak at all

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindawitz1. Show Lindawitz1's posts

I really feel for the personal issues that Lackey and his wife are enduring. I've endured them with my mother, twice.  I know where he is coming from.  That said, I think he has a poor attitude - always seemed to prior to any of this, he never pitched well at Fenway when he was with the opposition.  He gets angry at fellow players for plays they don't make when he hangs a meatball up there.  Generally, don't like this pitcher.  Wish there was a way to get him out of the rotation.  Empathy for the personal issues for sure.........no tolerance for his poor attitude and performance.  I hope he requests a trade........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: John Lackey's contentious postgame press conference-Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]I really feel for the personal issues that Lackey and his wife are enduring. I've endured them with my mother, twice.  I know where he is coming from.  That said, I think he has a poor attitude - always seemed to prior to any of this, he never pitched well at Fenway when he was with the opposition.  He gets angry at fellow players for plays they don't make when he hangs a meatball up there.  Generally, don't like this pitcher.  Wish there was a way to get him out of the rotation.  Empathy for the personal issues for sure.........no tolerance for his poor attitude and performance.  I hope he requests a trade........
    Posted by Lindawitz1[/QUOTE]whoa!..hey stranger..long time..how are you?...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

From Lackey, after he came off the DL:

“I know I have damage in there already, so you never know for sure. But every pitcher will find something. Some of us just got a little more than others,” said Lackey, who had elbow issues early in the 2009 season. It is a condition that led to a clause in his current deal which makes his option year at the major league minimum if significant time is missed due to the elbow ailment.

Asked if there was concern that the problem was going to be something more serious, Lackey said, “A little bit because you don’t want it to get too much worse than it already is. But the MRI was pretty close to what it was when I got here.”

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

5 Words: The guy is a tool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I really feel for the personal issues that Lackey and his wife are enduring. I've endured them with my mother, twice.  I know where he is coming from.  That said, I think he has a poor attitude - always seemed to prior to any of this, he never pitched well at Fenway when he was with the opposition.  He gets angry at fellow players for plays they don't make when he hangs a meatball up there.  Generally, don't like this pitcher.  Wish there was a way to get him out of the rotation.  Empathy for the personal issues for sure.........no tolerance for his poor attitude and performance.  I hope he requests a trade........
    Posted by Lindawitz1[/QUOTE]

What is going on with his personal life should have nothing to do with how he treats other players (stare downs, throwing arms in air on a bad play, etc), and how he essentially blows off the media. If anything the issues in his personal life should make him more compassionate.  He's a tool.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

This is what we can expect from now to the end of season.....he's done!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

In Response to John Lackey's contentious postgame press conference-Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff June 22, 2011 07:14 PM By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Here's a complete transcript of John Lackey's postgame press conference: Q: How tough were the conditions out there? A: They weren't great. Q: Did that affect you in any way? A: I don't think I've hit anybody with the bases loaded before, no. Q: How did you feel before the delay? A: Felt OK. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just felt like I was just getting into the game. Q: Was the pitch to Venable one you felt good about? A: It wasn't a great pitch. It was a cutter I left over the plate, for sure. You know, leadoff hitter. What are you going to do? Q: Was every grip really tough in that (fourth) inning? Just gripping the ball with every pitch? A: I don't know. You guys are going to write what you want to write. Whatever. And that was that after 15 seconds of uncomfortable silence. The entire press conference lasted about 90 seconds. Personally, I think Lackey is a decent guy and I think he pitched better last season than people give him credit for. I also have empathy for the guy and what he is going through in his personal life. You'd have to be heartless not to. But none of those questions were antagonistic. To be honest, they were pretty much softballs. Answering questions in that fashion will only serve to make a tough season even harder on him. Lackey is signed through the end of the 2014 season. He wasn't drafted by the Red Sox or obtained via a trade. He chose to come here knowing this was a market where fans care deeply about baseball and where the media attention is focused on the team. No player spends eight years in the majors without knowing what places like Boston, New York and Philadelphia are all about. It's great when you win and it's brutal when you lose. That's just how it is. Lackey has 3.5 years left on his contract and they're going to be brutal ones if he can't come to grips with the atmosphere here. Whether it's a teammate, his pitching coach, his manager or even Theo Epstein, somebody needs to get through to Lackey. This is headed down a road nobody wants to be on, least of all him.

Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

Not only is he a terrible pitcher but he's a complete tool as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I understand he had personal issues. But so did Drew his first year here, and he didn't get much slack, and he didn't take it out on the media or his teammates when he struggled.

And Lackey's personality now is no different than it's always been. Search the internet for his comments after the Sox beat the Angels in 2009. The Sox weren't the better team. Tori Hunter should have made a play. Pedrioa shouldn't feel so proud about his double because it would have been an out anywhere else, and therefor Lackey shouldn't feel too bad about giving it up because it should have been and out anyway...

He stinks. On his really good days, he's decent, and if the offense has a good day they can make up for his standard 4 runs allowed...there's not a whole lot of room for debate there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----. Show -The--Babe----'s posts

In Response to John Lackey's contentious postgame press conference-Your thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff June 22, 2011 07:14 PM By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Here's a complete transcript of John Lackey's postgame press conference: Q: How tough were the conditions out there? A: They weren't great. Q: Did that affect you in any way? A: I don't think I've hit anybody with the bases loaded before, no. Q: How did you feel before the delay? A: Felt OK. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just felt like I was just getting into the game. Q: Was the pitch to Venable one you felt good about? A: It wasn't a great pitch. It was a cutter I left over the plate, for sure. You know, leadoff hitter. What are you going to do? Q: Was every grip really tough in that (fourth) inning? Just gripping the ball with every pitch? A: I don't know. You guys are going to write what you want to write. Whatever. And that was that after 15 seconds of uncomfortable silence. The entire press conference lasted about 90 seconds. Personally, I think Lackey is a decent guy and I think he pitched better last season than people give him credit for. I also have empathy for the guy and what he is going through in his personal life. You'd have to be heartless not to. But none of those questions were antagonistic. To be honest, they were pretty much softballs. Answering questions in that fashion will only serve to make a tough season even harder on him. Lackey is signed through the end of the 2014 season. He wasn't drafted by the Red Sox or obtained via a trade. He chose to come here knowing this was a market where fans care deeply about baseball and where the media attention is focused on the team. No player spends eight years in the majors without knowing what places like Boston, New York and Philadelphia are all about. It's great when you win and it's brutal when you lose. That's just how it is. Lackey has 3.5 years left on his contract and they're going to be brutal ones if he can't come to grips with the atmosphere here. Whether it's a teammate, his pitching coach, his manager or even Theo Epstein, somebody needs to get through to Lackey. This is headed down a road nobody wants to be on, least of all him.

Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

Not only is he a terrible overpaid pitcher but he's a complete toolbox as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Boo hoo hoo.
    He didn't answer our questions like a nice guy!  

Q: Was the pitch to Venable one you felt good about?  
    Seriously?!!  The pitch was sent for a ride to a home run, how do you think he felt about the pitch?

Lackey owes it to  himself to pitch better for the team.  He doesn't owe anyone the Mr. Nice Guy Apologist.  Boston knew what they were getting when they signed him, and I'd rather have him pitch well, then give a good interview.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Next time he walks a batter Saltalamacchia should throw his hands up in the air the way Lackey does when his fielders don't make a play and shout "What the f**K!". Or the entire team in the field could do the same when he gives up a home run . . . wonder how that would play with him? I think you'd see a meltdown on the mound.
         I'm rooting for this guy, because I know the sox need him to succeed but I've played with too many douchebags that like to blame everyone around them for me to to be sympathetic when I see him behave like that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Right now it doesn't sound like things are going in the right direction for Lackey, sounds like fustration is boiling over for him, after he was just looking pretty good the past few games before that.

This is a situation I don't like to see, a good player (2010 was a good season for Lackey if you want to debate otherwise, don't bring it up with me) whom is letting everything get to him, and it appears to be showing over on the field. I could care less how he addresses the media, except it shows his fustration and makes it a bigger problem. Lackey can still be an important part of this team, the outing before last he went out there and gave us 8 pretty good innings.

However, this is the kind of controversy a team doesn't need. If he continues to struggle and make these comments, we'll see how it is handled, if he pitches well, he can say whatever the hell he wants. He isn't paid by the media afterall, he's paid by John Henry.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"i'd rather have him pitch well, then give a good interview."---chuchos

i'd rather win the mega lottery than go to church.
    neither of those things are gonna happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Right now it doesn't sound like things are going in the right direction for Lackey, sounds like fustration is boiling over for him, after he was just looking pretty good the past few games before that. This is a situation I don't like to see, a good player (2010 was a good season for Lackey if you want to debate otherwise, don't bring it up with me) whom is letting everything get to him, and it appears to be showing over on the field. I could care less how he addresses the media, except it shows his fustration and makes it a bigger problem. Lackey can still be an important part of this team, the outing before last he went out there and gave us 8 pretty good innings. However, this is the kind of controversy a team doesn't need. If he continues to struggle and make these comments, we'll see how it is handled, if he pitches well, he can say whatever the hell he wants. He isn't paid by the media afterall, he's paid by John Henry.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]I happen to agree with your post. The 2010 season wasn't great but it is about what you get from a middle of the rotation starter. The problem in Boston is that this market assumes that their highest paid players should perform like the highest paid players in the game. He is not in the class with CC Sabathia, Santana and Lee and he is not paid like that. His contracts comps are guys like DLowe and AJ Burnett and his 2010 is what you'd gte from those guys.

If the market doesn't want to sign guys like Drew and Lackey to bridge the farm system, the only option Epstein would have is play kids, get bad, get high picks and hope the high picks pan out, then pay them after the arbitration years and hope they don't break down OR start over again.

As for this year it has been a tough year. Period. He did pitch better upon his return from the DL. It was a weird game yesterday, with a rain delay in the middle of his start and the conditions when he came back stunk. But when combined with his bad start, the reaction is not neccesarily proportional.

As for his demeanor on the field, his teammates tend to live with it seeing it as part of the "competitive package" it is more a media/fan issue it appears.

As for how he handles the media, I feel bad for him in a way because the media in this town will eat you alive if you don't play nice with them and they can help turn the market against you in a hurry unless your numbers make that impossible. And John Lackey never has been, never will be Pedro Martinez or Curt Schilling.

But everybody should take a chill pill. It is a bad stretch. Many a fan would have jettisoned Josh Beckett a year ago. Many fans are excited that Andrew Miller who has shown fits of control problems waited until the 6th inning to give up back to back walks, a blast and a double before Tito could get to the ejector button.

I guess I am saying that there is perception and reality. Shorter sample sets are always matters of perception, the larger ones are who you are in the present.

Just my takes

Sections
Shortcuts