John Maine Signing

Let me be the first to say "Remember the Maine!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: John Maine Signing

In Response to John Maine Signing:
    [QUOTE]Let me be the first to say "Remember the Maine!"
    Posted by crmn19[/QUOTE]

Good one.

I always liked John Maine.  I hope he can resurrect his career in Boston, as a reliever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Another throaway from another team. Rather they would save the money on these guys and pick up one ependable starter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

This one cost the Sox very little, as it is a minor league deal and does not include an invite to spring training.  This is a reclamation project of the purest kind.  Costs nothing against the CBA tax threshold.

The only dependable starter out there to be signed at this point is Jackson.  Not sure I want him at his asking price, but the Sox do have an offer out.

I'd rather they sign Harden to an incentive laden deal, and then go into ST and see where they are at...plenty of arms, and plenty of questions that only time will answer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This is embarrassing. These ARE the kind of deals the Sox need to keep a secret, makes them look like bush leaguers picking up all these retreads.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: John Maine Signing": [QUOTE]This is embarrassing. These ARE the kind of deals the Sox need to keep a secret, makes them look like bush leaguers picking up all these retreads. Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE] I know you like to stir the pot, Ike, but I also know you're very aware that every team in baseball makes these type of moves. If they made half of the moves that the whiny "GMs" on this board wanted them to, we'd be the Mets or Cubs, instead of a team that has competed for a Championship nearly every year since this ownership group took over, and we have the nucleus, the financial resources and the farm system to compete for years to come...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: John Maine Signing:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: John Maine Signing": I know you like to stir the pot, Ike, but I also know you're very aware that every team in baseball makes these type of moves. If they made half of the moves that the whiny "GMs" on this board wanted them to, we'd be the Mets or Cubs, instead of a team that has competed for a Championship nearly every year since this ownership group took over, and we have the nucleus, the financial resources and the farm system to compete for years to come...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but here's the deal, as other posters have pointed out, for the money they have obligated for all these reclamation projects, they could have used it to get just one decent starter, which is all we really need. A solid 3-4 guy for about $8-$10M would hardly have broken the bank, and they still could have signed a couple of minor league deals.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: John Maine Signing": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Maine Signing : Yeah, but here's the deal, as other posters have pointed out, for the money they have obligated for all these reclamation projects, they could have used it to get just one decent starter, which is all we really need. A solid 3-4 guy for about $8-$10M would hardly have broken the bank, and they still could have signed a couple of minor league deals. Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE] Ok, which free agent starter could we have signed for 8 to 10 million? Even Oswalt is no guarantee and he clearly didn't want to pitch here. By the way, who's to say that a healthy Padilla, a healthy Cook, Aceves, Bard, etc. can't be that guy. They have lots of options and the resources to go get someone if none of these guys pan out, which is very unlikely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, but here's the deal, as other posters have pointed out, for the money they have obligated for all these reclamation projects, they could have used it to get just one decent starter, which is all we really need. A solid 3-4 guy for about $8-$10M would hardly have broken the bank, and they still could have signed a couple of minor league deals.

Compare the cost of these guys to play in the minors instead of someone else (minor league teams have roster limits too), and the combined cost is so miniscule that thinking it is keeping us from signing or trading for an 8 million dollar pitcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Ryan Vogelsong 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

is beyond naive.

Felt compelled to complete your sentence, moon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: John Maine Signing": Ok, which free agent starter could we have signed for 8 to 10 million? Even Oswalt is no guarantee and he clearly didn't want to pitch here. By the way, who's to say that a healthy Padilla, a healthy Cook, Aceves, Bard, etc. can't be that guy. They have lots of options and the resources to go get someone if none of these guys pan out, which is very unlikely.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

You are reaching with having high hopes for Padilla & Cook.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Maine Signing : Yeah, but here's the deal, as other posters have pointed out, for the money they have obligated for all these reclamation projects, they could have used it to get just one decent starter, which is all we really need. A solid 3-4 guy for about $8-$10M would hardly have broken the bank, and they still could have signed a couple of minor league deals.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

How hard is it to understand the luxury tax threshhold and that these deals don't count against it? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: John Maine Signing": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Maine Signing : You are reaching with having high hopes for Padilla & Cook. Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE] I never said I had "high hopes," but they both have had success in the Majors and are both healthy. Padilla was throwing mid 90s in his workout and Cook could be a valuable innings guy at the back end of the rotation. If not, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I just don't automatically think they are going to suck because they didn't each win 20 games last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Cook is the Maine reason for the Silva lining!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Maybe we get lucky and one or two of these guys works out well. Could happen, although not likely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Maine Signing : Yeah, but here's the deal, as other posters have pointed out, for the money they have obligated for all these reclamation projects, they could have used it to get just one decent starter, which is all we really need. A solid 3-4 guy for about $8-$10M would hardly have broken the bank, and they still could have signed a couple of minor league deals.

So you're saying that the minor league deals cost us $8M, but that we could have spent that money and still signed some minor league deals?  Ike, the players being signed to these deals don't get paid their MLB salary unless they're on the MLB roster.  Even then, they're only being paid for their time on the roster thanks to the way the deals are structured.  They shouldn't cost the Sox much more than $3M, and that's only if 2 of the deals actually work out.  If none of them work out, it isn't costing the Sox anything.  If they end up spending $8M because of these deals, then the Sox are far better off than if they had signed one guy for $8M.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]The Cook is the Maine reason for the Silva lining!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

You keep channeling Groucho Marx like this and I will vote you poster of the year in the next poll.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Maine Signing : So you're saying that the minor league deals cost us $8M, but that we could have spent that money and still signed some minor league deals?  Ike, the players being signed to these deals don't get paid their MLB salary unless they're on the MLB roster.  Even then, they're only being paid for their time on the roster thanks to the way the deals are structured.  They shouldn't cost the Sox much more than $3M, and that's only if 2 of the deals actually work out.  If none of them work out, it isn't costing the Sox anything.  If they end up spending $8M because of these deals, then the Sox are far better off than if they had signed one guy for $8M.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Excellent post.  This argument is OVER!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The nice part of signing all these guys is that out of 8 signees at least two will be pitch for the Sox--if you spent the $8 M on one, like Oswalt, and he hit the DL and was out for two or three months--nothing to fall back on.

This way the Paw Sox will have three projects looking to have come back seasons and two Sox draftees that are going to learn from some pretty seasoned pros for a starting rotation.

The Sea Dogs will have Anthony Ranaudo and perhaps Drake Britton and Stolmy Pimental and most of the up and coming pitching talent. In addition the 'Dogs may also get Kolbrin Vitek, Bryce Brentz and perhaps, by July, Xavier Bogaerts and Brandon Jacobs. I  am looking forward to the Sea Dogs in 2012.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]This is embarrassing. These ARE the kind of deals the Sox need to keep a secret, makes them look like bush leaguers picking up all these retreads.

These are the kind of deals that are made for organizational depth.  Would you prefer not to have depth?  

Crazy post.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Xavier Bogaerts and Brandon Jacobs should only end up finishing the year in Salem in 2012 after finishing 2011 in Greenville.  I would be surprised if they made it to AA this season, although it certainly shouldn't be a bad thing.  Jacobs is more likely to make that jump than Bogaerts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts