Jon Lester is not out of the woods just yet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Jon Lester is not out of the woods just yet

I don't see that it makes a difference.

"The sun has set on the Red Sox season" anyway!

http://timesonline.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451586c69e20133f2558e7d970b-320wi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

ok, I'll bite. two guys that are 6-0 and it's MAY 16th with the sox chasing 2. Yeah, your right. call Ben and have him cancel the rest of the season. oh wait! he can't do that. oh well, guess I'm gonna have to "suffer" and continue to root for red sox even though YOU said their season is over. by the way, did you hear that bailey is gonna be back soon? Steven Drew hit a grand slam last night and you come out and say that the sun has set on the sox season. oy veh!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

ok, I'll bite. two guys that are 6-0 and it's MAY 16th with the sox chasing 2. Yeah, your right. call Ben and have him cancel the rest of the season. oh wait! he can't do that. oh well, guess I'm gonna have to "suffer" and continue to root for red sox even though YOU said their season is over. by the way, did you hear that bailey is gonna be back soon? Steven Drew hit a grand slam last night and you come out and say that the sun has set on the sox season. oy veh!

Take a deep breath and check this out, bud.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/as-the-sun-sets-on-another-sox-season/100/6645122

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/as-the-sun-sets-on-another-sox-season/100/6645122

I throw myself on the mercy of the court. or as they say in vietnamese. sin loi (sorry about that) with tongue firmly in cheek.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I throw myself on the mercy of the court. or as they say in vietnamese. sin loi (sorry about that) with tongue firmly in cheek.

No problem, Hammah.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

No problem, Hammah.

thanks "B's" I gotta remember which troll starts these stupid threads in the first place.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Is Lester out of the woods yet?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Lets see what he is doing by sometime in July. Good game last night. Two in a row after three not so good games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lets see what he is doing by sometime in July. Good game last night. Two in a row after three not so good games.

No doubt Pumpsie.  OK, let me know when he is out of the woods.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Jon Lester is a good pitcher.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

They should offer Lester an extension through age 33, right now. His base should be one base point higher than the current top base on the staff, which is Lackey, with maximum allowed CBA incentives to increase his total take. He's earned by virtue of his season to season innings performance. Good luck on replacing him for the same price, if the market makes him replaceable at all.

So 17-18M per x 4?  Lackey makes 15.25 AAV. Not sure what a base point is equivalent to, to be honest. Just guessing.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

Pumpsie,

Did you ever stop to think that his loss in velocity is self induced? By slowing his pitch to 91 to 92 MPH he can create more movement thereby becoming harder to hit. Every once in a while Lester will ramp it up to 95 to show a different speed to keep the opposing batters off balance. This was probably a suggestion from Farrell and if you notice Lester has avoided his notorious slow start because of this. This is a sign of a maturing player who is looking for the edge he needs to succeed!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Yes, a base boint is 1M. And, yes, 4 years, with a big signing bonus up front, instead of picking up the option. At the end of the day, I would go as high as 4 years and 80 million, plus the maximum allowed CBA incentives. That would make him the 8th highest base pay starting pitcher in MLB hsitory, and in the top 3 for his age on the date of the contract offer. I would also include a team option and player buyout to give the player the chance to become a FA and get one more big contract if he performs well enough at the end of the contract. I would wish him best luck if I wasn't able to agree on the terms of his next contract, at age 34 and 35 and 36 et seq 

Id sign off on a deal like that. I always believed JL was a TOTR starter and just had a bad year last year that was builing up over the last 2 years. Having 3 pitching coaches and 2 managers in 2 years along with all the nonsense from 2011, its no wonder he was a little messed up mechanically ans somewhat mentally.

I never thought he was "in the woods", let alone having to get out of them. Ben and Co. made the best choice for this team to get Farrell any way they had to. Hes been a rock for Lester and Buch. Pick up the option and extend him.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Spaceman, IMO if Jon Lester defeats the White Sox tonight and the Indians this weekend, he is close to leaving the woods because he will be able to see the clearing up ahead.  I have to be honest about this though.  I still cannot figure out this Red Sox team and I have no idea how much upside they have and I even less of how much potential downside possess this team.  All I can hope for is they continue winning at a decent clip as they've started to do again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Spaceman, IMO if Jon Lester defeats the White Sox tonight and the Indians this weekend, he is close to leaving the woods because he will be able to see the clearing up ahead.  I have to be honest about this though.  I still cannot figure out this Red Sox team and I have no idea how much upside they have and I even less of how much potential downside possess this team.  All I can hope for is they continue winning at a decent clip as they've started to do again.

I appreciate your honesty Fred.  And, full disclosure, I cannot figure them out either.  However, almost two months in, I am really digging this uncertainty.  They have now weathered the storm of a losing streak and come out looking just like they did before the dip.  So, though I am still not quite sure how they are doing it, they are a strong ball club.  Could it be ,... the clubhouse ... hahaha ... no, seriously ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think Lester was even "in the woods". He had one bad year. He was a TOTR pitcher the 4 years prior and involved in CY Young talks during those years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I dont think Lester was even "in the woods". He had one bad year. He was a TOTR pitcher the 4 years prior and involved in CY Young talks during those years.

Well southpaw, you must keep in mind that Lester started to unravel in late August of 2011 and was almost useless during our collapse in September of that year.  A lot of us were worried about him when that carried over into 2012.  He has restored a lot of confidence we had in him previously but in all honesty I still cannot say with total confidence that he could be considered an Ace or No. 1 type pitcher.  I think he needs to carry this over into the summer and fall and I think the same goes for Buchholz.  I might also add if we get more of what we got out of Lackey yesterday we might have a pretty good trio of starters---and three solid starters is what a team determined to go to the playoffs must have in my opinion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Well southpaw, you must keep in mind that Lester started to unravel in late August of 2011 and was almost useless during our collapse in September of that year.  A lot of us were worried about him when that carried over into 2012.  He has restored a lot of confidence we had in him previously but in all honesty I still cannot say with total confidence that he could be considered an Ace or No. 1 type pitcher.  I think he needs to carry this over into the summer and fall and I think the same goes for Buchholz.  I might also add if we get more of what we got out of Lackey yesterday we might have a pretty good trio of starters---and three solid starters is what a team determined to go to the playoffs must have in my opinion.

I can understand peoples concern for lester, and its warranted. I just didnt share the same amount of concern is all. Lester dealt with 3 pitching coaches and 2 managers in 2 years, lots of clubhouse drama, and overall no stability.

I think having Farrell back is huge for our rotation.

I agree about lackey. He seems to be getting his groove back. And yes I agree, 3 solid starters is what is needed for a serious playoff run.