Jon Lester is not out of the woods just yet

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Jon Lester is not out of the woods just yet

In response to Iowasoxfann's comment:

Cherry picking here? Most thought that Lester had a very good first six weeks. All season long he had only that one bad spell of six weeks in late May and June. The bahing however was consistent all year long by Pumpsie Green.

yes pike it was. Some of us choose to look at it a little closer and realize that from 5/20-6/27 Jon Lester was awful. The time before and after his numbers suggest that of a TOTR starter with a sub 3 ERA. Hes making some adjustments to his pitching and his attitude that are helping him change into more of a pitcher than a thrower. Like ive been saying all year, Jon Lester will remain a front line starter and will come out the other end of this transition a more complete pitcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I am somewhat stunned by Lester's latest uptick, not because it happened so much as how it happened.  I thought he was throwing too many fastballs and cutters, but it turns out the fastball is a good pitch when he spots it well.  Good for him.  I watched most of his pitches last night and don't recall seeing a single changeup, which I insisted was the one pitch he needed to throw a lot more.  I am humbled, but delighted for Lester. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Cherry picking here? Most thought that Lester had a very good first six weeks. All season long he had only that one bad spell of six weeks in late May and June. The bahing however was consistent all year long by Pumpsie Green.

yes pike it was. Some of us choose to look at it a little closer and realize that from 5/20-6/27 Jon Lester was awful. The time before and after his numbers suggest that of a TOTR starter with a sub 3 ERA. Hes making some adjustments to his pitching and his attitude that are helping him change into more of a pitcher than a thrower. Like ive been saying all year, Jon Lester will remain a front line starter and will come out the other end of this transition a more complete pitcher.

Every single poster here who quotes stats cherry picks, including you. You cannot discount the fact that from April 24 to Aug 2 his ERA was 5.18. Thats a period of almost 3 1/2 months, most of the season. During the other time intervals he has been very good. This means that he is INCONSISTENT, more so than most other pitchers that are considered "good" who  may have a bad game or two before regaining their form. You may be sold on Jon Lester; I am not. Not yet. Not until he pitches well for as long as he pitched poorly.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Every single poster here who quotes stats cherry picks, including you. You cannot discount the fact that from April 24 to Aug 2 his ERA was 5.18. Thats a period of almost 3 1/2 months, most of the season. During the other time intervals he has been very good. This means that he is INCONSISTENT, more so than most other pitchers that are considered "good" who  may have a bad game or two before regaining their form. You may be sold on Jon Lester; I am not. Not yet. Not until he pitches well for as long as he pitched poorly.

[/QUOTE]

I listed his whole years stats and broke them up related to how he has pitched. How is THAT cherry picking PG? At least I used EVERY start from him this year. I proved that for a 5-6 week period he was awful and his ERA was inflated greatly during that one month period. The rest of the time he was pretty consistent. You picked a smaller period of time than I did and claim that I cherry pick? 3.5 months hes been consistent, 1.5 not so much. The facts are a lot clearer the way I break it up than the way you choose to do it. I realize my more thorough way doesnt help your arguemnet, but it paints a much much clearer picture.

You use ERA over a specific time period and thats it. How about looking a bit deeper into each outing like I did and then break up the year to show EXACTLY when he was inconsistent. I used all of his starts this year and showed exactly what I said. YOU cherry picked a time period and ONE stat that helps your arguement and acuse me of it? Please.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I listed his whole years stats and broke them up related to how he has pitched. How is THAT cherry picking PG? At least I used EVERY start from him this year. I proved that for a 5-6 week period he was awful and his ERA was inflated greatly during that one month period. The rest of the time he was pretty consistent. You picked a smaller period of time than I did and claim that I cherry pick? 3.5 months hes been consistent, 1.5 not so much. The facts are a lot clearer the way I break it up than the way you choose to do it. I realize my more thorough way doesnt help your arguemnet, but it paints a much much clearer picture.

You use ERA over a specific time period and thats it. How about looking a bit deeper into each outing like I did and then break up the year to show EXACTLY when he was inconsistent. I used all of his starts this year and showed exactly what I said. YOU cherry picked a time period and ONE stat that helps your arguement and acuse me of it? Please.

I could use a different time period to show his inconsistency if you like. There are lots of them. Like I said, EVERYONE here cherry picks, including you. You think that your cherry picking is more accurate than mine; I think that mine is a better way of looking at things than yours. I showed you that for over three months Lester stunk. You broke it up a different way. You cannot excuse a few bad starts any more than you can eliminate some of his better efforts. My point is that he has not been a consistently good SP all year, though his total body of work to date has been acceptable (ie, using ALL his starts this year as the time period of choice he has done OK). You are sold on Lester and use your stats to back up that opinion; I am not sold on him and I use stats that I think show his inconsistency to support my position. All the stats are valid. The rest is a matter of opinion.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This Fat Cat Ace has been in the woods?