Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now...

It's hard to find many pitchers more dominant than him.  One could argue Halladay, King Felix or Josh Johnson but after that who would you truthfully put ahead of him?  I'm talking guys that have been doing this for several years now. I wouldn't put those other 3 ahead of him but more with him.  His career has continued to get better and better ever since his no-no a few years back.  It's scary to think that the best is still to come from him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now...

I thought Salty had great stuff, today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

ditto

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Lincecum (2X NL Cy Young winner) is certainly ahead of him.  If you're talking about grouping pitchers with him, then I certainly think CC can come into the conversation "right now".  I would consider Price at a similar level as well, although with less of a track record.

There aren't very many who are better than Lester right now though.  He is certainly among the best pitchers in the game, although this isn't really anything new.

Edit:  Verlander and Cliff Lee are certainly up there as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now...:
    It's hard to find many pitchers more dominant than him.  One could argue Halladay, King Felix or Josh Johnson but after that who would you truthfully put ahead of him?  I'm talking guys that have been doing this for several years now. I wouldn't put those other 3 ahead of him but more with him.  His career has continued to get better and better ever since his no-no a few years back.  It's scary to think that the best is still to come from him.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Nothing new SPC hes been one of the best pitchers in the game for a couple years now.  Though I think there are a few more pitchers in that top category and it would do Lester well to win a CY Young which in his career I'm sure he will.  However, no arguments from me Lester is one of the best pitchers in the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

As good as Lester is, I think he could be even better if he worked on fielding his position and holding runners.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now...:

Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

mongo the fanboy will never learn.

lester is destined to land on the DL now.

call it the curse of spc!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now...:
    In Response to Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now... : mongo the fanboy will never learn. lester is destined to land on the DL now. call it the curse of spc!!
    Posted by Babe-1

Curses are for old women and small children. Which one are you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now...:
    In Response to Re: Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now... : Curses are for old women and small children. Which one are you?

Posted by niz-58

You are right, there never was a curse. The sawx just sukked for 86 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now... : You are right, there never was a curse. The sawx just sukked for 86 years.
    Posted by Babe-1

And you want to know why you keep getting banned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Lester's got to feel really good about where he is in his life now.  He once said that he didn't want to be known as the Sox pitcher who had cancer, and that disease is now only a footnote in his life.

Lester has already fought the biggest battle of his life - and won.  That may have something to do with his mental approach to the game.  It's not life and death, it's only a game. 

Congratulations, John. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

We all know why he keeps getting banned, what we don't know is why he keeps coming back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

i think BABE gets banned because, unlike you and most others on this board, he has a sense of humor.
    and we all know that within the sacredness off baseball there is no room for humor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester may very well be the best pitcher in the game right now... : You are right, there never was a curse. The sawx just sukked for 86 years.
    Posted by Babe-1

Yes, they did.  But, thanks to the Yankees, that's over.Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

NO QUESTION about it!  Lester is completely locked in!

Right now, the only pitchers who could give him a run for his money are..........

Beckett!!!!!

Dice-K?

&

Lackey.

OK, Dreaming!   But, I have to give our guys props.......  Especially after I was bashing them early on.  ALL 3 are giving Sox fans what they were promised!

Buchholz is starting to work it out!  He should be MORE than solid as the season rolls on!

We arguably have the best pitching in baseball these past 2 weeks!!!!  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Starting pitching that is....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

As good as Lester is, I think he could be even better if he worked on fielding his position and holding runners.
    Posted by dgalehouse
    DGH, i've always been surprised when a LH'er has trouble holding runners, given the mostly have the advantage of fuller view of the runner, guys like Andy Pettitte. Al Leiter and Kenny Rogers had good PO moves even though they gave up a few swipes over the course of their careers..maybe Lester feels his stuff is such that he can focus on getting outs...that said...no doubt, he's the goods....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Lester is amongst a group of pitchers that can be considered "the best pitcher in the game" - In my opinion I would rank them as follows, despite how some of them have started off this season:

1) Halladay
    2) Weaver
    3) Hernandez
    4) Lincecom
    5) Lester
    6) Johnson
    7) Sabathia
    8) Lee
    9) Price
    10) Haren/Verlander/Hamels - choose one.

Some of these guys have had a rough start this year, like Lincecom...but he'll turn it around as the season progresses.

On any given day, any of these pitchers could beat each other - depending upon the common real estate motto....location, location, location.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

My Rankings

1) Johnson
    2) Halladay
    2) Hernandez
    4) Lincecum
    5) Lee
    6) Price
    7) Lester
    8) Weaver
    9) Sabathia
    10) Verlander

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

You would think that the "best pitcher in the game" would have won 20 games in a season at least once.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

You would think that the "best pitcher in the game" would have won 20 games in a season at least once.
    Posted by Babe-1

It says "right now".  As the Cy Young voters realize, 20 wins is not the best measure of the best pitcher.  Winning 20 games has more to do with how the team does than how well you pitch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Lester can be mentioned in the same breath as the very best (Halladay, Felix, Smoke-em-if-ya-got-em Lincecum et al), but i am not sure he is quite there yet.  When he is locked in, he is surely at the top.  But, over the course of a whole season, he has yet to avoid lengthy spells of mediocrity.  The fact that he has been ace material in April bodes well of course, but i want to see a whole season of dominance before I put him in the pantheon with those who have done this already.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from YAZZER. Show YAZZER's posts

now c'mon BABE, you're not that stupid.
    in rating a pitcher's performance, WINS would be low on the performance chart.
    right now, ERA and WHIP are more signifiant then W-L.
    i would rate LESTER #3 right now; right behind HALLADAY and HERNANDEZ.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

i would rank LESTER #3, right behind HALLADAY and HERNANDEZ.
    definitely ahead of the FREAK.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Spaceman, not sure what you mean by lengthy spells of mediocrity. Starting with the 2008 season, his only truly bad months have been Apr/May and then been a stud every month after. For whatever reason it took him 4-6 weeks to get into a rhythm but if he has finally realized the season starts in April and not May or June, we’re in for a treat because he’s never really struggled in the later months.  For reference just look at his monthly splits from 2008 to 2010.

Sections
Shortcuts