Jon Lester Said he feels great and isn't hurt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Jon Lester Said he feels great and isn't hurt

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

Lester will probably win 13 to 16 games and have an ErA a bit below 4. He wasnt as good as he looked early in the year and he isnt as bad as he looks now.

The panic on these boards is unreal.

I agree that there can be a lot of needless panic on the boards.  However, I think we've reached the point with Lester where it's rational to be worried about him.  Yes he's had good patches and bad ones, but over 52 starts he has a 4.90 ERA and less than half of his starts have even met the minimum for a Quality Start.  52 starts is getting to be a pretty big sample, about 1.5 seasons.  

[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you Hfx. The sample size is big enough to be concerned. It looks like Lester, because of the natural loss in velocity, needs to approach things differently. Thats not panic, its reality.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Heres another interesting article I found on pitching velocity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/sports/baseball/17pitchers.html?_r=0

and another one...

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/preliminary-aging-curve-for-fastball-speed/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Lester is a tough cookie and looked better today than in his last outing.

Looked to me like he threw too many strikes over the plate and his ball movement wasn't great . Didn't walk a batter and struck out 8 not all bad.   Consistantly hit 94 on the gun.

For the folks who expcted him to be the Ace that's not likely.

I agree some paitence is needed and I'm sure we'll be looking for another starter regardless.

I agree.  It's hard to be happy over 5 ERs, but the 8/0 K/W is a vast improvement over the 22/18 K/W he gave us over the past 5 games.

Well for me it's hard to be happy about Lester period.  Today Jim Palmer became the second Hall of Fame pitcher to berate Lester for his overuse of his shi@ty cutter.  Eck did the same in a Red Sox TV broadcast last week.  It appears Jon is cut in the same mold as the departed Beckett, stubborn to a fault.  Sooner or later he has to realize that when you throw the cutter you do NOT throw it for fat strikes but to get batter to think it's going to be one before it drops out of the zone.  Andy Pettitte made a career of doing just that and I'm surprised neither Farrell or Nievas has told Lester to barfcan that pitch and concentrate on his three other pitches.  Either that or they have and he has shined them on.  Today he ruined my Father' Day.

If that last sentence is true, I think you need to reevaluate your priorities. I heard from both of my kids in 2 different corners of the US (Cali. & FL.) and nothing could have ruined my day, especially a baseball game. Anyway....

About the rest of your post, I think your spot on. He doesnt trust his FB now that it sits at 92-94 (mostly 92). He cant blow it by people anymore and is relying on his cutter way too much. Lester needs to realize what Beckett never did. Hes not the power pitcher he was 5 years ago and needs to adjust accordingly. The quicker he does that, the quicker he gets back on track. He still has it in him to be a TOTR starter. You dont have to throw 96-97 to be successful, but you have to learn to "pitch".

That seems to be the point of contention Southpaw.  Is Lester still potentially a TOTR pitcher?  I can't answer that because frankly I don't know.  There have been opinions on that tossed around this board for the past day and everyone seems to have evolved into two camps.  Yes he can and no he can't.  What I do know is that cutter needs to be "shown", not used for an out pitch.  He seems to hang that pitch too much, and, correct me if you think I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the opposing batters are waiting for it and then sitting on it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

well, the good news is that even though we lost 3 out of 4 to Baltimore...we still "split" with them according to Softy and that yankees fan.

dummies.

Lester's woes seem mental to me.  he needs a night out to penthouse club, bring 2 strippers to hotel and get his head straightened out.

i expect a monster 2nd half from him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Looked to me like he threw too many strikes over the plate and his ball movement wasn't great . Didn't walk a batter and struck out 8 not all bad.   Consistantly hit 94 on the gun.

I agree some paitence is needed and I'm sure we'll be looking for another starter regardless.

I agree.  It's hard to be happy over 5 ERs, but the 8/0 K/W is a vast improvement over the 22/18 K/W he gave us over the past 5 games.

[/QUOTE]

Well for me it's hard to be happy about Lester period.  Today Jim Palmer became the second Hall of Fame pitcher to berate Lester for his overuse of his shi@ty cutter.  Eck did the same in a Red Sox TV broadcast last week.  It appears Jon is cut in the same mold as the departed Beckett, stubborn to a fault.  Sooner or later he has to realize that when you throw the cutter you do NOT throw it for fat strikes but to get batter to think it's going to be one before it drops out of the zone.  Andy Pettitte made a career of doing just that and I'm surprised neither Farrell or Nievas has told Lester to barfcan that pitch and concentrate on his three other pitches.  Either that or they have and he has shined them on.  Today he ruined my Father' Day.

[/QUOTE]

Palmer is a bigger blow hard than you.

[/QUOTE]

First of all dou@@ebag, Palmer is in the Hall of Fame and, secondly, you don't know me from Adam.  Thirdly, a question....DID YOUR PARENTS HAVE ANY CHILDREN THAT LIVED?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Pitchers rarely lose 2-3 mph on their fastball without some sort of underlying issue. Sometimes it might be an injury that even the pitcher doesn't know he has, sometimes it might be a flaw in his mechanics, sometimes it might be "90% half mental".

Lester is not the same guy as 2 years ago. It is very rare for a pitcher to regain velocity lost not by injury, so there are basically 2 way for Lester to get better:

1) If it is a hidden injury, he has to get over it (discovered or not).

2) If it is not an injury, he must re-invent himself by widening his variety of pitches, or perhaps pitching more to contact instead of trying to throw it by batters with an inferior FB.

I wish him luck, but either way may take more time than we can spare.

Sox4ever.

Theyve been doing in depth studies since about 2007-2008, and they have found At about 28-30yrs old most power pitchers start to rapidly lose velocity. By 32 they can lose up to 4-5 MPH on their FB. Its not rare at all, actually its just the natural progression of most power arms.

They will gain MPH into their mid 20's and at a position players peak (28) can start declining because of throwing so many pitches up til then.

IMHO, Lester is just experiencing this natural progression and needs to get out of his own way and accept it. Make the adjustments and reinvent himself. It might not help the team a lot this year, because making the adjustments is rarely seamless. Lester can still be a TOTR start with his 4 pitch rep, IF he can make the transition.

Lester will probably win 13 to 16 games and have an ErA a bit below 4. He wasnt as good as he looked early in the year and he isnt as bad as he looks now.

The panic on these boards is unreal.

[/QUOTE]

What objective reason do you have that leads you to that conclusion? Don't bother giving me "he was great up until the end of 2011". That was two seasons ago. He stunk last year and he is beginning to stink this year too. Those of you who predict that Lester will have some sort of monster second half are engaging in magical thinking. Its simply highly unlikely to happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

If that last sentence is true, I think you need to reevaluate your priorities. I heard from both of my kids in 2 different corners of the US (Cali. & FL.) and nothing could have ruined my day, especially a baseball game. Anyway....

About the rest of your post, I think your spot on. He doesnt trust his FB now that it sits at 92-94 (mostly 92). He cant blow it by people anymore and is relying on his cutter way too much. Lester needs to realize what Beckett never did. Hes not the power pitcher he was 5 years ago and needs to adjust accordingly. The quicker he does that, the quicker he gets back on track. He still has it in him to be a TOTR starter. You dont have to throw 96-97 to be successful, but you have to learn to "pitch".

That seems to be the point of contention Southpaw.  Is Lester still potentially a TOTR pitcher?  I can't answer that because frankly I don't know.  There have been opinions on that tossed around this board for the past day and everyone seems to have evolved into two camps.  Yes he can and no he can't.  What I do know is that cutter needs to be "shown", not used for an out pitch.  He seems to hang that pitch too much, and, correct me if you think I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the opposing batters are waiting for it and then sitting on it.

[/QUOTE]

Your points are valid fred. for sure. My position is that hes experiencing what a lot of power pitcher do at this age and now needs to make the adjustments. Lester, as we know, is a fierce competitor as was Beckett. I just hope that he realizes, unlike Beckett, that in order to have continued success in MLB, he might have to become more of a pitcher. He has to outsmart batters and hit his locations better. I noticed Salty setting up inside and it caught too much of the plate and Davis went yard. That has to get better.

I refuse to call him a loser or that he s**ks. Hes neither. He isnt pitching good for a reason. Lester has won this team many huge games and has been in the Cy Young talks more than once. He was 76-35 with a 3.30ERA before heading south. Its not being a pollyanna on my part, Im just trying to look at it objectively and rationally. Is he pitching badly? Yes, no question. Hes better than a #4-#5 though. Instead of name calling like some others are doing, I choose to try and understand why. Ive posted a couple links on both Lester threads that could be valid possibilities.

Lester might need to come with terms that at his age (almost 30) most power pitcher need to learn to "pitch", because they just cant blow it by anyone anymore.

I still stand by picking up his option and seeing if he can make those adjustments. many pitchers have and have gone on to have a long MLB career. The team will need to look at all the available pitching at the deadline regardless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I refuse to call him a loser or that he s**ks. Hes neither. He isnt pitching good for a reason. Lester has won this team many huge games and has been in the Cy Young talks more than once. He was 76-35 with a 3.30ERA before heading south. Its not being a pollyanna on my part, Im just trying to look at it objectively and rationally. Is he pitching badly? Yes, no question. Hes better than a #4-#5 though. Instead of name calling like some others are doing, I choose to try and understand why. Ive posted a couple links on both Lester threads that could be valid possibilities.

Lester might need to come with terms that at his age (almost 30) most power pitcher need to learn to "pitch", because they just cant blow it by anyone anymore.

I still stand by picking up his option and seeing if he can make those adjustments. many pitchers have and have gone on to have a long MLB career. The team will need to look at all the available pitching at the deadline regardless.

In fact, he really is NOT any better than a #3-4 SP. As of this morning his ERA is 4.37 which places him at #38 in the AL among SP with more than 60 IP. If there are 15 teams and we assume that each team has a #1 and 2 in the top 30 (I know this is not true, but it does give us a rough estimate about where Lester ranks) then Lester is not a #1 OR a #2. He is now a #3, and he is falling fast. Last year he ranked #39 in the AL of the then 14 teams for SP with more than 100 IP. Thats very close to a #4 (14x3=42). I think that by the end of this year he will be a solid #4 SP, no better. Can he get better? Sure. Is it likely? Nope. If you believe otherwise please show me the objective evidence without quoting his meaningless statistics from two years ago. He is not that guy any more.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In fact, he really is NOT any better than a #3-4 SP. As of this morning his ERA is 4.37 which places him at #38 in the AL among SP with more than 60 IP. If there are 15 teams and we assume that each team has a #1 and 2 in the top 30 (I know this is not true, but it does give us a rough estimate about where Lester ranks) then Lester is not a #1 OR a #2. He is now a #3, and he is falling fast. Last year he ranked #39 in the AL of the then 14 teams for SP with more than 100 IP. Thats very close to a #4 (14x3=42). I think that by the end of this year he will be a solid #4 SP, no better. Can he get better? Sure. Is it likely? Nope. If you believe otherwise please show me the objective evidence without quoting his meaningless statistics from two years ago. He is not that guy any more.

If you read what I wrote you will see that I said he was pitching like a #4. I think hes a better pitcher than that and needs to make some adjustments and stop pitching like a power arm.

Ive posted some links to velocity loss.

Its very likely he can get better. There are a number of pitchers that have adjusted accordingly and had continued success. If you want to know the specific names be my guest to look them up, Im not going to bother with that. Bottom line is that he has just as much a chance to use his 4 pitch rep. to his advantage going forward or not make the changes and be a BOTR pitcher. Its up to him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to klaus1954's comment:

Eck thought that Lester had good stuff yesterday. A writer on the Herald thought so also and said that Lester was unfortunate with the four broken bat hits. We shall see. No need for a Sox fan to root against him.

You have comprehension issues, Pike.  No Sox fans are rooting against him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

If you read what I wrote you will see that I said he was pitching like a #4. I think hes a better pitcher than that and needs to make some adjustments and stop pitching like a power arm.

Its very likely he can get better. There are a number of pitchers that have adjusted accordingly and had continued success. If you want to know the specific names be my guest to look them up, Im not going to bother with that. Bottom line is that he has just as much a chance to use his 4 pitch rep. to his advantage going forward or not make the changes and be a BOTR pitcher. Its up to him.

[/QUOTE]

I misunderstood you then. He is pitching like someone who doesn't belong on a ML roster at all IMO, especially if a team hopes to contend for the playoffs. Once a pitcher loses velocity, if its not due to injury, it hardly ever comes back. I remember reading that somewhere and could probably find the reference. If he does come back by reinventing himself he will need a long time to do it, meaning he will continue to stink all season this year. Can we afford that?
    I don't see it happening at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I misunderstood you then. He is pitching like someone who doesn't belong on a ML roster at all IMO, especially if a team hopes to contend for the playoffs. Once a pitcher loses velocity, if its not due to injury, it hardly ever comes back. I remember reading that somewhere and could probably find the reference. If he does come back by reinventing himself he will need a long time to do it, meaning he will continue to stink all season this year. Can we afford that?
    I don't see it happening at all.

Its true that there will be an adjustmet period and he will be a MOTR pitcher while going through those adjustments. I also think that they realize this and will  be in the market for a starter at the deadline. I just wouldnt give up on him though. After next year then make that decision.

He certainly belongs on an MLB roster, but with a different role for right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I completely disagree with moonslav and others he has lost velocity.  His problems are his over-reliance on the fastball and the cutter and his difficulty in throwing breaking balls, especially the changeup, in the right spots consistently.  And, if I had to boil it down to one problem, it would be command of his pitches.  Right now I think hitters sit on his fastball/cutter because he can't get the others over the plate. 

I am fairly sure there are no successful pitchers out there who get by with just a fastball, no matter the velocity.  In 2006 Beckett consistently threw 97 mph, but had an ERA slightly over 5 because he over-relied on it. 

And there are plenty of successful pitchers with a slower fastball than Lester's, including just about all of Baltimore's starters and including Buchholz, who has the lowest ERA among AL starters. 

One more time, I say again.   His fastball is fast enough, but way too predictable. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I completely disagree with moonslav and others he has lost velocity.  His problems are his over-reliance on the fastball and the cutter and his difficulty in throwing breaking balls, especially the changeup, in the right spots consistently.  And, if I had to boil it down to one problem, it would be command of his pitches.  Right now I think hitters sit on his fastball/cutter because he can't get the others over the plate. 

I am fairly sure there are no successful pitchers out there who get by with just a fastball, no matter the velocity.  In 2006 Beckett consistently threw 97 mph, but had an ERA slightly over 5 because he over-relied on it. 

And there are plenty of successful pitchers with a slower fastball than Lester's, including just about all of Baltimore's starters and including Buchholz, who has the lowest ERA among AL starters. 

One more time, I say again.   His fastball is fast enough, but way too predictable. 

He has lost velocity Max. Thats just a fact, not an opinion. It happens with almost every power pitcher. Thats not to say he cant be successful, but he has to have a different approach because he cant just blow it by guys. This is why hes relying on his cutter too much. He needs to hit his locations better and use his 4 pitch rep. to his advantage. He doesnt seem confident in locating his FB, which is why were seeing the cutter too much, IMO. He needs to make some adjustments because over the next year or two, the velocity will probably go down to 90-92. Hes not hitting 94 consistently right now. Thats his top speed....For now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

My biggest issue with Jon is he becoming a Bullpen killer. Not consistent enough to get us deep into games. You compound that with Doubront, Lackey and even Dempster. Nevermind Starters, we might a Shuttle bus from Pawtucket to Boston for relievers.

17 Pitches in 1st inning yesterday was probably the least he has thrown in a long time. Just too many Pitches in first 3 innings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has lost velocity Max. Thats just a fact, not an opinion. It happens with almost every power pitcher. Thats not to say he cant be successful, but he has to have a different approach because he cant just blow it by guys. This is why hes relying on his cutter too much. He needs to hit his locations better and use his 4 pitch rep. to his advantage. He doesnt seem confident in locating his FB, which is why were seeing the cutter too much, IMO. He needs to make some adjustments because over the next year or two, the velocity will probably go down to 90-92. Hes not hitting 94 consistently right now. Thats his top speed....For now.

[/QUOTE]

He has lost velocity, but Max is correct: the major problem he has is loss of command, not loss of velocity. If you put an 88 mph fastball in the right place its likely that no one is going to make solid contact with it-especially if you mix it in with well located offspeed stuff. Lester is not only losing velocity, but he can't put his pitches where he wants to any more. I think Max nailed it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Lester is still throwing plenty hard. A pitcher has to have unreal velocity in order to overpower most major league hitters and Lester never threw with that kind of velocity. Webster had a start where he got crushed and was throwing 97. It happens in the minors as well. 

What is going on is simple. Lester is getting squeezed by the umps because they have a grudge against him. It's as simple as that. He has a choice of throwing to the fat of the plate and getting hit, or trying to move his location around and walking people. Lester can't effectively use his cut fastball, because hitters know they can just lay-off anything around the edges. There is nothing he or the manager can do. The front office can do something. They should document what's going on with game film and go to the league office. The local sports writers and fans are also presented a rare opportunity here, where they can actively help the team by pointing out what's going on. Complaining Lester is a bum simply plays into the hands of the umps.