Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

ERA of 4.......

We needed him to bouce back from last year and be more like 2010, if not better

Slice it or spin it anyway you want but we needed more from him this year and we've certainly gotten less

-----------

Cue the "Lester is an Ace" supportors - let's hear from you

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

Yeah. Jon looked like he was going to be one of the premiere pitchers in the game. Don't know what happened , but he seems to be going backwards.  I think he still has the ability to figure it out. The truth is , our starting rotation has been among the worst in either league.  There has been no one that we could consistently count on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No slice or spin.  The Sox, with a real good line-up, solid d, and a rapidly gelling bullpen, will go as the starting pitching goes.  Lester is a leader of the staff and, no doubt, if he doesn't round into form, the Sox are doomed to October golf.  But, given his body of work as a pro, I give him the benefit of the doubt that he is going to start pumping out good starts as the season develops.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

He does have a 3.95 ERA w/o showing any consistency. Except for last night when you could say he was mediocre, it seems he's been either great or lousy.

I wouldn't say he's going backward. He just hasn't taken that next step to be truly an ace. He's been basically a No. 2 pitcher but should be an ace. And although it would be nice to have an ace, if Beckett can pitch well and be consistent, I don't see a problem with having two No. 2 pitchers who pitch like No. 1s every now and then.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He won't be able to take the next step until

1)  He grows up

2)  I see his stuff get a little better; his stuff is way off from 2009...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

For some reason Andre W. Mitch decided he did not like Lester. Andre is very childish and needs to appear to be right all of the time. So he think Burnett is better than Lester and every chance he gets he is going to be "Look I was right!" Andre can not be convinced otherwise. Lets just ignore that fact that Lester had a bad back last night and against a good team with a small ball park.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up:
    [QUOTE]For some reason Andre W. Mitch decided he did not like Lester. Andre is very childish and needs to appear to be right all of the time. So he think Burnett is better than Lester and every chance he gets he is going to be "Look I was right!" Andre can not be convinced otherwise. Lets just ignore that fact that Lester had a bad back last night and against a good team with a small ball park.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]
    He selects for "mistakes" and magnifies them. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yup, let's just sweep the ERA of 4 under the carpet. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If ERA is your favorite stat, Lester's has been between 3.21 and 3.47 for four straight years.  It would only take a shutout in his next start to get in that range.  

Who is an ace, if not Lester?  Verlander has never had a stretch like that for four years straight. Felix Hernandez matched Lester's ERA last year, but that's calling Safeco your home park, as opposed to Fenway.  Even Roy Halladay could never make that claim until he switched leagues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In Response to Jon Lester - simply not stepping up:
    [QUOTE]ERA of 4....... We needed him to bouce back from last year and be more like 2010, if not better Slice it or spin it anyway you want but we needed more from him this year and we've certainly gotten less ----------- Cue the "Lester is an Ace" supportors - let's hear from you
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what would drive someone to start a thread clearly meant to cause arguments unless of course that is what the OP wants. 
    Lester is currently 27th in the AL in ERA.  This obviously isn't good, but it is far from bad enough to merit a thread like this.  If you take away 1 start his ERA is under 3.  Obviously you can't take away starts, but most people know that all pitchers have bad starts.
    I guess some people like to stir the pot, if only there was a name for that sort of poster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : I don't understand what would drive someone to start a thread clearly meant to cause arguments unless of course that is what the OP wants.  Lester is currently 27th in the AL in ERA.  This obviously isn't good, but it is far from bad enough to merit a thread like this.  If you take away 1 start his ERA is under 3.  Obviously you can't take away starts, but most people know that all pitchers have bad starts. I guess some people like to stir the pot, if only there was a name for that sort of poster.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

I was pretty clear why I started it.  Because we needed him to step up and take a step forward and we are seeing him take a step backwards; even if it is only half a step it is still in the wrong direction.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

actually, 27th in the league in ERA is very good. Do the math. It's stretching into the No. 2 starters for all teams. How is that "mediocre"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : I was pretty clear why I started it.  Because we needed him to step up and take a step forward and we are seeing him take a step backwards; even if it is only half a step it is still in the wrong direction.......

So this was a reaction to one start that was 6IP and 4ER, and a win by the way.  This was after 4 starts of 0, 3, 1 and 1 ER.  If you're really calling that one start a reason for concern and a step in the wrong direction I would say that is asking for too much and i stand by my original statement that this post was meant to start an argument.  For the record Lester has the 9th best era in the AL in the month of May, that includes his "step back" and doesn't include his 7 shutout innings in his last start in april.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]actually, 27th in the league in ERA is very good. Do the math. It's stretching into the No. 2 starters for all teams. How is that "mediocre"
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    I'm on Lester's side, but 27th in the AL would put him near the bottom of 2nd starters.  I agree that it isn't bad, but isn't up to what we'd expect from Lester.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

• [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : I'm on Lester's side, but 27th in the AL would put him near the bottom of 2nd starters.  I agree that it isn't bad, but isn't up to what we'd expect from Lester.

exactly

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : exactly
    On the other hand, what we've gotten in the last 5 starts, 3-1, 2.45 ERA, is more than you should expect from any pitcher.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think you can debate if Lester is a number2 or not all day, but the facts are that McClure wanted Lester to go deeper into games. This could only be done by lowering his pitch count. Hence, Lester has pitched more to contact this year, has less K's than usual, and has been hurt more than any other starter by shoddy defense.
    I think and arguement can be made in spite of the above, other than the Twins and Rangers games, Lester has been very good this year 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : On the other hand, what we've gotten in the last 5 starts, 3-1, 2.45 ERA, is more than you should expect from any pitcher.

to boot, lester, for whatever reason, has never stepped up in april.  And yet, has always ended up putting up top of the rotation season numbers.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Andrewmitch is talking out of both sides of his mouth....his one belief is that Lester is not an ace and his purpose for this thread is to drive that point home. He then does a moon walk and says Lester is not pitching the way we expect him to pitch. Hmmm...so which is it Andrew? It seems as of right now he is pitching like the pitcher you think he is....so why would that bother you? If you think he is underachieving then you must think that Lester is an actual ace who is not getting it done. Hmmmm 
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

You do realize that my belief that he is "not an Ace" and that he is not "living up to expecations" aren't necessarily Mutually Exclusive, right?

In other words, I do not believe he is an ace but I do believe he is a #2 pitcher.  However, he isn't really living up to that either.  And although the jury is still out for this season, the point is that we needed Lester to pitch to the point where there would be no doubt in our minds that is pitching up to his expectations. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : to boot, lester, for whatever reason, has never stepped up in april.  And yet, has always ended up putting up top of the rotation season numbers.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Whatever reason?  Lester has stated the reason:  He doesn't care about games in April.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not too worried...yet

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

not to beat the devil's advocate horse one more time, but if he is a No. 2 and he's 27th in AL ERA, then he's not being beaten by any No. 3s,4s or 5s in all of the AL. So, isn't that living up to expectations. Or is that you feel he should be in the top 20 or high 2s. He's still hasn't even pitched to his own standards, so he will be fine and will be in that top 20 range before it's all over.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]not to beat the devil's advocate horse one more time, but if he is a No. 2 and he's 27th in AL ERA, then he's not being beaten by any No. 3s,4s or 5s in all of the AL. So, isn't that living up to expectations. Or is that you feel he should be in the top 20 or high 2s. He's still hasn't even pitched to his own standards, so he will be fine and will be in that top 20 range before it's all over.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Another way to look at it is the other 13 teams in the league have on average 2 pitchers doing better than Lester.  I think we all want more than that.  But I think he has absolutely turned it around and will soon be far better than top 20, just like he is every year.

Sections
Shortcuts