Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

He is the best pitcher the Red Sox have.  He makes a very reasonable salary.  He is remarkably consistent from year to year.

He is what he is.  Just because you thought he was going to be a Pedro Martinez type doesn't mean that he isn't good.  It just means you were wrong.

Pencil him in for 15 wins this year, a 3.50 ERA, a WHIP of 1.25 and a BAA of around 245.

That is what he does every year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up:
    [QUOTE]Morris won over 250 games Any comparison of Lester to Halladay and Verlander and well, I am going to completely zone out........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Oh, it's wins now?  I thought it was ERA.  Because Morris won 21 games with the Blue Jays with an ERA over 4, which you said was a failure to step up.

Verlander has a post-season ERA of 5.57.  If he wore a Sox uniform your posts would read like this...

"Let's face it - this guy turns up the heat when the games are meaningless, and turns into Pat Rapp when the calendar turns to October.  He's not a real ace - not when the games really count.  Maybe we can beg Detroit to take him, Beckett and Youk for their ace, Jon Lester."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronic352. Show chronic352's posts

He is not that super special pitcher that the Red Sox kept pushing him to be, but he is not that bad either!  I have more issue with Beckett underperforming than Lester!  The contract, his stubborness and arrogance is "ok" if Beckett is the ace.  Lester has not really put himself out there like Beckett.

Red Sox fans were SO lucky to watch Pedro Martinez pitch for seven seasons! Every pitcher since Pedro wore a Red Sox uniform have rarely come close to him!!  Does that mean that every pitcher

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Oh, it's wins now?  I thought it was ERA.  Because Morris won 21 games with the Blue Jays with an ERA over 4, which you said was a failure to step up. Verlander has a post-season ERA of 5.57.  If he wore a Sox uniform your posts would read like this... "Let's face it - this guy turns up the heat when the games are meaningless, and turns into Pat Rapp when the calendar turns to October.  He's not a real ace - not when the games really count.  Maybe we can beg Detroit to take him, Beckett and Youk for their ace, Jon Lester."
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    Perfect!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Oh, it's wins now?  I thought it was ERA.  Because Morris won 21 games with the Blue Jays with an ERA over 4, which you said was a failure to step up. Verlander has a post-season ERA of 5.57.  If he wore a Sox uniform your posts would read like this... "Let's face it - this guy turns up the heat when the games are meaningless, and turns into Pat Rapp when the calendar turns to October.  He's not a real ace - not when the games really count.  Maybe we can beg Detroit to take him, Beckett and Youk for their ace, Jon Lester."
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    Or maybe Verlander is just tired for carrying the Tigers rotation all year? His 240-250 ip says alot about the guy, he's out there game after game giving his team 8-9 ip throwing 100mph into the 9th, takes its toll. No such thing as 6 ip 97 pitches for Verlander, he's carried that staff on his back for years. If you offer me Verlander for Lester straight up I make that trade in a heartbeat and I like Lester he's just not in that class yet.  Lets hope he gets there. If I'm Tigers I look at Verlanders post season stats and cut down on his workload for season try to keep him fresh for playoffs. Can't expect him at top of his game after 250 ip during season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I brought Wins into the discussion as it pertained to getting into the Hall of Fame.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm actually more impressed someone dropped a Pat Rapp reference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I'm actually more impressed someone dropped a Pat Rapp reference.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

yeah I appreciated that too :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's funny but if Frank Castillo walked through the clubhouse doors and the Sox said here you are taking over the No. 5 starting spot---I'd be fine with that. He was the pitcher version of the human rain delay. Better than Clay is now. Loved how Castillo used to have staring contests with Jimy W when Jimy would pull him too early. I kind of miss those days a bit...It was before we expected the Sox to automatically make the playoffs and the team had some character. Not saying today's team doesn't have character, but there's been a lot more character assasinations on the roster last few years---Beckett, Youks, Lester, Ortiz, Lackey, CC, Clay, Ellsbury and even Pedroia have all been questioned at one time or another about their team attitude. 2003 will always be my favorite team, but I remember rushing to get home to watch any Sox game on TV during the 1980s/1990s. Two WS titles might have made me content, I don't know, but I just don't get all worked up over the 2012 Sox. I felt 86-76 at best and I still see that as being at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I know one game should never symbolize anything but Youks comes back when the team is on a hot streak--he homers and the rest of the team does nothing. Is Youks a jinx? Do'hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. He was the guy called out during the early win streak.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Back to Lester. I think moon said it best on his personal thread about the Sox simply need a real SP to join the staff. They need a veteran arm who can make a difference, throw 7 IP quality performances. Something to replace Clay's ineffectiveness. Or just get Clay to return to form...:-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If we could replace Clay with an Ace we would at least be able to stay in the hunt until we got healthy - Ellsbury for sure but also Ross and Bailey.......

Frankie "Five Innings"?  He was useful I suppose.

Greatest Sox REGULAR Season I ever saw for sure was 2003...2004 really didn't feel the same until "The Fight"......then 2004 really kicked in for me.....I don't think I missed a single game in 2003; in 2004 I missed at least 5 but not much more than that (3+ due to work and 2 because I needed a break from some horrendous play - it was really for personal health reasons).....and I missed the 1st inning or 2 of G3 of the ALDS - stupid early starts...........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : I brought Wins into the discussion as it pertained to getting into the Hall of Fame.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

It's hard to predict the next 11 years for Lester, but he has more wins and a better ERA than Morris through the same age.  Morris, to this point, had never won more than 17 games in a single season.  I wouldn't be surprised if the best is yet to come from Lester.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : It's hard to predict the next 11 years for Lester, but he has more wins and a better ERA than Morris through the same age.  Morris, to this point, had never won more than 17 games in a single season.  I wouldn't be surprised if the best is yet to come from Lester.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I agree and I hope there is more to come.  But we know Morris.  We know Jon.  I don't think Jon will end up in his class.  We'll see.  HOF is a different question and certainly a big one; I was simply responding to someone who already labeled JL a HOF'er...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Ouch....Andrewmitch just got tagged
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Really?  Because Verlander isn't as good as Lester?  Really?  Alrighty then.....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : No, because you got caught and blasted for talking out of both sides of your mouth again. Using stats when they suit you and discounting the same stats when they don't. Classic
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

That is simply not true.  Verlander's PS stats have nothing to do with Lester "not stepping up".

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Even if I sourced the quote (which many people recall) it wouldn't matter.

Just like I did when Theo signed Drew (About batting 4th or 5th) and people still denied it existed.  So why bother........

Anyways, no one has convinced me that Lester has "Stepped Up" this year.  In fact, many people posted well-worded responses in support of my position.

But that's OK, you just keep coming back with personal attacks...We're all waiting.......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Who's the RS fan that wouldn't trade Lester straight up for Verlander? I agree w/ Andrew. Lester has not taken that next step to that level when everyone predicted he would 2 short years ago. While I believe Lester is the best starter RS have slightly ahead of Beckett, he's not top 5 in the league IMO. Can he be, sure but needs to take that next step and win games when RS need him most. It should start this weekend w/ a big effort vs. Tampa something like 8 ip 4 hits 9 k's would be a good first step, then get on a nice roll of say 7 or 8 straight wins help gettig the RS to the top side of their division. But right now he's still behind King Felix, Verlander, CC, Halliday, Lee, Kershaw, Lincecum, Weaver, and Strasburg. But I would say he's a same level as Hammels, Shields, Price, Carpenter, and Cain which is not bad co. either. But now would be a good time for Lester to step up, RS need him more than ever!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Well, he's going to get his big chance tomorrow night isn't he?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yup, and he blew his big chance

Another EGG

Again

Oh well

Probably the ump's fault

But he's still an Ace - yeah right

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think of Lester as the ace for this team, but there can be no question he has hurt the Sox this year and wasn't that great last year. Way too reliant on his fast ball and lacks command of his pitches.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ace of the team does not necessarily mean an "Ace" :)