Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

In Response to Jon Lester - simply not stepping up:
    [QUOTE]ERA of 4....... We needed him to bouce back from last year and be more like 2010, if not better Slice it or spin it anyway you want but we needed more from him this year and we've certainly gotten less ----------- Cue the "Lester is an Ace" supportors - let's hear from you
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's really no good.  Never mind that he historically starts slow and has a terrific season when all things come to an end ...

-  he averages 211 innings a year  (first 2 years included)

- his ERA always drops to under 3.50

- his whip is 1.2+ but never over 1.3

-his BB/K ratio is down right now ... but usually is a very respectable 2.4 to  well over 3. You are right, his K's per 9 are down ...

- but it is still early, his length of starts is coming back, includng a complete game before this last outing.

You amaze me.  You confess to know what you're talking about and yet you seem to miss stuff even someone who knows as little as I do knows.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Lester's career averages vs. 2012 (so far):

ERA IP/GS K/BB
    Career 3.55 6.22 2.45
    2012 3.95 6.33 1.95

For someone not known to light it up in April, he really isn't far from what you should expect of him.  Maybe he will have a down season, then again maybe it will be his career year.  Looking at the 163 starts so far in his career, I'd say his salary is well justified.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think he's the ace for this team, but love that Beckett seems intent on contesting that notion. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up:
    [QUOTE]Andrewmitch is talking out of both sides of his mouth....his one belief is that Lester is not an ace and his purpose for this thread is to drive that point home. He then does a moon walk and says Lester is not pitching the way we expect him to pitch. Hmmm...so which is it Andrew? It seems as of right now he is pitching like the pitcher you think he is....so why would that bother you? If you think he is underachieving then you must think that Lester is an actual ace who is not getting it done. Hmmmm 
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

You folks simply don't get it.  Andrewmitch plays a critical role in this equation.  Were it not for his tireless criticism and prodding as an "observant" fan, Red Sox players would not be motivated to perform to the expectations that he doesn't hold for them.  It's his constant scolding of the players that will allow them to take their game to the next level, which is the level that andrewmitch believes they won't reach.  Andrewmitch performs a vital function for the team and organization that somehow management doesn't see and is not able to fix. He should be complimented and praised for his service to the Red Sox Nation.

The other important lesson in all of this is that andrewmitch holds the right to chastise the rest of us when things go sour for the team.  He is always telling us he told us so.  So remember, when the Red Sox don't live up to the expectations that andrewmitch dosen't have for them, you heard it from andrewmitch first, and over and over again for that matter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I think he's the ace for this team, but love that Beckett seems intent on contesting that notion. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Being the "Ace for your team" and being an "Ace" are 2 different things

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Being the "Ace for your team " and being an "Ace" are 2 different things

And being the Ace of Base and Ace Frehley are two different things.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Whatever reason?  Lester has stated the reason:  He doesn't care about games in April.

If that is really how you interpret his repeated assertions, when asked why he is struggling in any given season-start, that he is not worried about it, then that says everything one needs to know about where you are coming from.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Being the "Ace for your team " and being an "Ace" are 2 different things

Having two aces ... what a terrible thing.

Your parsing aside, your negativity toward both pitchers aside, having two aces is a great "problem."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : If that is really how you interpret his repeated assertions, when asked why he is struggling in any given season-start, that he is not worried about it, then that says everything one needs to know about where you are coming from.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

The man said he doesn't care about games in April.  I didn't say it.  How many other ways does one interpret that? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Link to quote please.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Link to quote please.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

I am sorry if you missed it.  It was in the papers.  Most other people on these boards recall the quote.  You have the internet - look it up yourself. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : The man said he doesn't care about games in April.  I didn't say it.  How many other ways does one interpret that? 

nope.  he didn't say that.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What do you recall he said then?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]What do you recall he said then?

LOL.  You are the one who started the thread and you are the one who has said repeatedly "Lester says he doesn't care about April games."  It seems to be your favorite quote so why don't you just tell us what he actually said instead of going by your interpretation or recollection.  Easy peasy ... put up the quote if you plan to use it to assert your position.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]What do you recall he said then?
    Are you asking what he said when he didn't say he doesn't care about games in April?  Instead of having other people figure out what you misread why don't you figure it out, you have the internet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The quote was put up when it first came out and it was discussed then.  Granted I am the only one who still refers to it but I am sorry you missed it the press release. 

PS - The Red Sox Won the 2004 World Series

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Are you asking what he said when he didn't say he doesn't care about games in April?  Instead of having other people figure out what you misread why don't you figure it out, you have the internet.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

Most people know what I am talking about.  If you missed the article when it came out then I am sorry. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Most people know what I am talking about.  If you missed the article when it came out then I am sorry. 
    Wow. ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]The quote was put up when it first came out and it was discussed then.  Granted I am the only one who still refers to it but I am sorry you missed it the press release.  PS - The Red Sox Won the 2004 World Series
    Yeah, that makes sense.  Boston media is known for not making a big deal out of things like this.  Good thing you're around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The quote was put up when it first came out and it was discussed then.  Granted I am the only one who still refers to it but I am sorry you missed it the press release.  PS - The Red Sox Won the 2004 World Series

Its not that we missed it, it is that you are twisting what he said and the context he said it in when you say he said he doesn't care about games in april.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Wow. ;)
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Its not that we missed it, it is that you are twisting what he said and the context he said it in when you say he said he doesn't care about games in april.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I think I said it right...so again, I ask you - What do you recall he said exactly?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : I think I said it right...so again, I ask you - What do you recall he said exactly?

well, what i can only imagine the quote was that you are twisting to mean "i don't care about games in April"  happened on a few occasions when he said things to the effect of "I am not going to let it bother me", "I am not concerned and and I know I am going to get it going". Which is what I would want my guy to say.  You tell me.  In any case, since you have no idea what it was he said exactly either, I will give you a direct quote to the Globe last year:

"Every year I tell myself it's not going to happen, and it still does," Lester told the Boston Globe before coughing up seven runs to the Rays April 18 of last season. "If I had an answer, I would try and fix it."

Hardly not caring.  But keeping searching for that quote where he said he doesn't care.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'll see if I can find it but the quote was much more emphatic than that. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I'll see if I can find it but the quote was much more emphatic than that. 

k, good luck with the search.