Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up

The stat you really want is adjusted ERA, since Lester is a left-handed pitcher with Fenway as his home park.  It's not fair to compare him to Mariners starters, for instance.

Lester is tied for 8th among active pitchers, minimum 1000 IP.  He's tied with Cole Hamels and Justin Verlander.  Among those ahead of him, one (Mariano Rivera) is a closer, and five pitched primarily in the NL.

The man's an ace.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : k, good luck with the search.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    The man is not known for taking care with evidence. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]He won't be able to take the next step until 1)  He grows up 2)  I see his stuff get a little better; his stuff is way off from 2009...
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!!!

I mean you know that he has been an All Star every year since 2009?
    You do know that he was 4th in C.Y. voting in 2010?
    You do know that he is 11th in WAR since 2009?

Either you're a troll, or you're delusional and need to take a break from posting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : The man is not known for taking care with evidence. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

He apparently hasn't taken care of all his marbles either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Yup, let's just sweep the ERA of 4 under the carpet.  "

I think it's more that in the middle of a long streak of wins this is what you're obsessed by. It does say quite a bit about how you roll as well, no? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : He apparently hasn't taken care of all his marbles either.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

You dudes better watch out when mocking the formidable andrewmitch.  Asking for a source for a very dubious comment is really asking for too much.  He'll put you on ignore as he's done with half the board, Sheriff included.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]You dudes better watch out when mocking the formidable andrewmitch.  Asking for a source for a very dubious comment is really asking for too much.  He'll put you on ignore as he's done with half the board, Sheriff included.   http://youtu.be/JFkIqaIYdoI
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Not too sure that would be a concern for anyone Sheriff...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Don't you think we needed Lester to have a stellar year, perhaps his best one yet if we have any chance this year?

Do you think this is one of his better seasons so far?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]Don't you think we needed Lester to have a stellar year, perhaps his best one yet if we have any chance this year? Do you think this is one of his better seasons so far?

Prior to this season he had the best w-l record in the history of baseball.  Don't you think asking for better than that is a bit much?  He's had 1 really bad start and a couple not so good ones.  Right now he is in a stretch of very good games.  To say he took a step back because of a start that was 1 earned run from a quality start is just trolling.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In May he's had 1 excellent start, 1 bad start, and 2 average starts - do you think that is really a "stretch of very good games"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In May he's had 1 excellent start, 1 bad start, and 2 average starts - do you think that is really a "stretch of very good games"?

Yes, I think 3-1 with a 2.45 era over his last 5 starts is a stretch of very good games, regardless of how you label his starts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]No slice or spin.  The Sox, with a real good line-up, solid d, and a rapidly gelling bullpen, will go as the starting pitching goes.  Lester is a leader of the staff and, no doubt, if he doesn't round into form, the Sox are doomed to October golf.  But, given his body of work as a pro, I give him the benefit of the doubt that he is going to start pumping out good starts as the season develops.  

I disagree spaceman.  Lester should be the leader but Beckett is.  I would like nothing better than to see Lester start breaking away from Beckett and make himself the ace of the staff.  The  problem is he follows Beckett into the chicken and beer fun instead of stepping up and becoming an elite player that he could be.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Yes, I think 3-1 with a 2.45 era over his last 5 starts is a stretch of very good games, regardless of how you label his starts.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

In his last 4 starts (May) he is 2-1 w/ a 3.12.  Which looks very good to me.  However, ERA simply does not measure consistency.........and in one of those wins it was not considered even a QS as he gave up 4 runs; he got a lot of run support that game.  Speaking of QS, of his 4 May starts only 2 of them would be considered a QS.......And in his best start, it was against a very weak offense where he was able to "pad" his stats which lowered his ERA by ~ half a run........

He's simply not stepping up and moving forward.  And without that, we will miss the playoffs yet again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : I disagree spaceman.  Lester should be the leader but Beckett is.  I would like nothing better than to see Lester start breaking away from Beckett and make himself the ace of the staff.  The  problem is he follows Beckett into the chicken and beer fun instead of stepping up and becoming an elite player that he could be.  
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

Fair enough M.  I don't buy into the chicken and beer thing.  But, it is true, he never broke away from Beckett to be an undisputed ace.  Personally, I have never seen the stuff from Lester to say he should be at that level.  I actually have always thought that he has performed consistently above his natural ability.  He is a big kid with good control and an array of quality pitches, but, except when his cutter hits the super-power-up level (which is only now and then), he has never had a real put-away pitch, always been a little bit flat in the zone.  But, I am pretty happy with a 1-2, no matter who is which, of Beckett and Lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : Fair enough M.  I don't buy into the chicken and beer thing.  But, it is true, he never broke away from Beckett to be an undisputed ace.  Personally, I have never seen the stuff from Lester to say he should be at that level.  I actually have always thought that he has performed consistently above his natural ability.  He is a big kid with good control and an array of quality pitches, but, except when his cutter hits the super-power-up level (which is only now and then), he has never had a real put-away pitch, always been a little bit flat in the zone.  But, I am pretty happy with a 1-2, no matter who is which, of Beckett and Lester.

In 2009, he had electric stuff.  Best the Sox have had since Pedro in his prime.  95-96 MPH heater w/ control and a nasty cutter in on the righties.  The stuff has slowly declined since 2010. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : In 2009, he had electric stuff.  Best the Sox have had since Pedro in his prime.  95-96 MPH heater w/ control and a nasty cutter in on the righties.  The stuff has slowly declined since 2010. 

This is an interesting observation.  It is true, he seemed to hit another level in 2009.  But, it seems to me, that was an abberation.  Before 09, he didn't have that electric stuff, and after 2009, as you point out, he hasn't had it.  Maybe he needs to call up Johnny Farrell and have a little tete-a-tete.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : This is an interesting observation.  It is true, he seemed to hit another level in 2009.  But, it seems to me, that was an abberation.  Before 09, he didn't have that electric stuff, and after 2009, as you point out, he hasn't had it.  Maybe he needs to call up Johnny Farrell and have a little tete-a-tete.

If you go back to old game threads that year I remember I used to always say before a JL Start: "it's a sin to miss a Jon Lester start" - which is how I felt about Pedro; you could see something amazing at any time.

But you are right - he seemed to find an extra gear that year.  I remember saying:  "I thought he topped out at 92-93".......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

You guys suffer from short-term memory.  Lester's ERA was nearly six at this point in 2009.  Then from Memorial Day through the end of the season, he had a 2.31 ERA.  Why bet against him now, when he's well ahead of 2009's pace (and velocity).  If the man pitches the next five years like he has the last five, he's not just an ace - he's a Hall of Famer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jon Lester - simply not stepping up : You folks simply don't get it.  Andrewmitch plays a critical role in this equation.  Were it not for his tireless criticism and prodding as an "observant" fan, Red Sox players would not be motivated to perform to the expectations that he doesn't hold for them.  It's his constant scolding of the players that will allow them to take their game to the next level, which is the level that andrewmitch believes they won't reach.  Andrewmitch performs a vital function for the team and organization that somehow management doesn't see and is not able to fix. He should be complimented and praised for his service to the Red Sox Nation. The other important lesson in all of this is that andrewmitch holds the right to chastise the rest of us when things go sour for the team.  He is always telling us he told us so.  So remember, when the Red Sox don't live up to the expectations that andrewmitch dosen't have for them, you heard it from andrewmitch first, and over and over again for that matter.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Another words, for lack of better terms your sacastically calling Andrew a troll without using the actual word. 

Hetchinspete

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]You guys suffer from short-term memory.  Lester's ERA was nearly six at this point in 2009.  Then from Memorial Day through the end of the season, he had a 2.31 ERA.  Why bet against him now, when he's well ahead of 2009's pace (and velocity).  If the man pitches the next five years like he has the last five, he's not just an ace - he's a Hall of Famer.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Yes.  He does it every year, to more or less of an extent.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Lester is a quality pitcher. That's good enough for me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scorieger. Show scorieger's posts

He does need to step it up, but he was pitching with a bum back last start. 

Sections
Shortcuts