Jon Lester the Nibbler is Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Jon Lester the Nibbler is Back

It is so hard to watch this guy most times. He does not trust his stuff and just nibbles, nibbles, nibbles. Last night he was over 115 pitches in less than seven innings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Jon Lester the Nibbler is Back

It was frustrating to watch.  This pitching staff is just walking to many people, now that summer is here I feel like its going to start hurting more.

Id rather lose by the opposing team getting hits, than by our pitchers walking 4-5 + a game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You would think the Sox pitchers would have benefitted from watching Cliff Lee this week.

Get the ball, get the sign and throw the ball. Don't give the batters any time  to think about what's coming.

Seems like that format works for him and it's worked in the AL and NL. Jon Boy---be a copy-cat. The same with you Doubie. Stop nibbling--make the pitches close enough that the umps  have to call strikes.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

It is so hard to watch this guy most times. He does not trust his stuff and just nibbles, nibbles, nibbles. Last night he was over 115 pitches in less than seven innings.

I didn't get to see the gm last night, was he getting cutter happy again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Is it me or does Lester seem to be  slowing his delivery down? The first few games he had faster pace .Is he back to aiming the ball?....Sox are in deep trouble... No pitching and very week offense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Agreed. Frustrating. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes not attacking hitters like he was the first few games of the season. Hes trying to nibble the corners more than usual. I know thats part of his game and I get it, but when you are having issues hitting the corners and then dont get the call, dont start having a hissy fit again.

Last night he took a long walk, almost to 2b because, when he didnt like the call. When is this hard head going to learn that the umps look at that as showing them up and will NEVER give you the call. Never mind the fact that it take you off your game and focus. Get over yourself Jon and just make the next pitch.

I was saying I thought an extension might be in order. Now Im not so sure. Maybe just pick up the option and go from there. I hope he loses the attitude and gets back on track. we already have 3, #3-#5 pitchers and we dont need another one.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He wasn't nibbling as much as he just wasn't sharp.  Nibbling is when you pitch to the edges against guys like Cano and Tex.  But he was missing by a decent amount against weaker hitters.  The killer was walking Stewart and putting Ichiro in scoring position.

Past that, it wasn't too bad.  One run came around because Stewart drills one into the dirt that stops 30 feet away, and another when the pitch is in the dirt and and hits Adams on an 0-2 count.

But like Don and Mac said, he seemed slow, and I think he would do better just getting the signal and throwing the pitch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I actually heard a stat (I may get this wrong) that the Yanks had gone the previous 3 games without a walk, and they had only done that 1 other time since 1960 (I think it was 1991).

All the more reason to force them to put the ball in play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes looked a lot worse his last 3 games. 2 of which Ross caught.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes looked a lot worse his last 3 games. 2 of which Ross caught.

Actually he has looked a lot worse over the last EIGHT games. He had a good start: after his first four starts his ERA was 1.73. To be honest, he didn't fool me at all. Since then, over his last EIGHT starts his ERA is 4.42, just slightly higher than I expect him to finish the season at (about 4.20). That makes him a serviceable #3-4 SP. It is what it is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

As soon as I saw the pitching matchup for last nights game I knew we could mail it in. No chance at all. Sabathia was due, his team was on a five game losing streak, they were at home, and Jon Lester always chokes in "big" games like this. End of story. He is what he is, expecting more is folly.