Jon Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Jon Lester

If the Sox are unable to sign him by the deadline do you trade him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Re: Jon Lester

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He must stay for at least 5 yeaars

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the team that gets him gets him for 3 months max and then I believe loses him to Free Agency withOUT getting any draft pick comp for him.  so they won't give up as much.  best to resign him but if not, may be better now to take the draft pick (assuming the new team wouldn't get one)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Cubs got a pretty good haul for Matt Garza. CJ Edwards was one of the best Prospects in the Minors, ranked 28th this year, Olt, was great in College, in fact Springers teamate.

Don't expect a great haul for Triple AAA players, but Sox can get a good haul for A and A+ Players for Lester. Better than Drafting if you think about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I would think a playoff contender would be willing to give up something mighty nice for a pitcher of Lester's caliber, even if it's for 2-3 months. If we're out of it by the deadline (looking more and more likely), it doesn't appear that Lester is going to re-sign*, and we get a suitable offer, I think you go for it.

*-Can anyone think of a recent example of a team trading an impending free agent and then resuming negotiations with the same player after the season? I don't know if Lester would be willing to do so, but I'd obviously like to keep him for 2015 and beyond if we can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would think a playoff contender would be willing to give up something mighty nice for a pitcher of Lester's caliber, even if it's for 2-3 months. If we're out of it by the deadline (looking more and more likely), it doesn't appear that Lester is going to re-sign*, and we get a suitable offer, I think you go for it.

*-Can anyone think of a recent example of a team trading an impending free agent and then resuming negotiations with the same player after the season? I don't know if Lester would be willing to do so, but I'd obviously like to keep him for 2015 and beyond if we can.

[/QUOTE]

It's happened before.  A guy gets traded late in the season and the resigns w. the original team.  Basically, the original team got a bonus in a player or 2 and still kept their guy.  I can't recall who it was. I believe it was a pitcher.  I'll have to think about it some more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

But to be clear, I believe that no matter what happens now that Lester will end up with the New York Yankees next year with a $150 million dollar deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

But to be clear, I believe that no matter what happens now that Lester will end up with the New York Yankees next year with a $150 million dollar deal.

Agree. Sox are lollygagging.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Sox are lollygagging.

[/QUOTE]

It's pretty much the only Cashman is capable of doing.  Signing great players from the Sox.  No wonder why they went from winning 4 of 5 WS to 1 out of 13 with the flick of a switch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's happened before.  A guy gets traded late in the season and the resigns w. the original team.  Basically, the original team got a bonus in a player or 2 and still kept their guy.  I can't recall who it was. I believe it was a pitcher.  I'll have to think about it some more.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Cliff Lee

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

A resounding yes. Or let him go at the end of the season. The SOX got his best. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would you rather have Scherzer or Lester for the same price?

Lester to Seattle? Give the M's 72 hours to negotiate with Lester…if he signs we get more and better prospects.

BenC will not be held up for more than 5 years--so if you want him do 5 years for $150 M. Are you sure he's worth that kind of money?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester to Seattle? Give the M's 72 hours to negotiate with Lester…if he signs we get more and better prospects.

BenC will not be held up for more than 5 years--so if you want him do 5 years for $150 M. Are you sure he's worth that kind of money?

[/QUOTE]

5 years/150 million. Fughetaboutit; Lesster's not even an ace. The most he should be offered is 5/70.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where did 5 years $150mill come from?  Not even Kershaw received $30mill per.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Cliff Lee DID NOT do this with PHI, people are confusing the facts.

Traded in 2009 from Cle to PHI in a deadline deal.

Signed in SEA as a FA in 2010.

Traded in 2010 from SEA to TEX in a deadline deal. Texas goes on a great run, and wants him back badly.

Signed in PHI as a FA in 2011.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where did 5 years $150mill come from?  Not even Kershaw received $30mill per.

[/QUOTE]

Someone, probably the Yankees, will offer him that or come close.

BenC won't go more than 5 years. I  might not even go 5 and $100 M. I would not offer him more than Pedroia unless you upped Pedroia to exceed Lester. I am not a big Lester fan. Someone will offer him insane money so that's a number Mr.Notin. It's play money. There are only a couple of people in the game worth Real Money--Miguel Cabrera, King Felix and Tanaka, maybe Trout.

Go Sox break the losing streak; we need a good game tonight. Lackey is the one starter I would pay to watch even though I dislike  his attitude when someone misplays a ball behind him. I like Pedroia and the Closer--Ue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We cannot forget something Lester said.  He is willing to give hometown discount.  If Sox fail to resign Lester, it won't look pretty as a big market organization is cheap to sign their number #1 starter even the pitcher publicly said he wants to stay and will take discount to do so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no

I suggest they focus on signing him

for a fan base that loves their prospects

& talking about the future so much

it's hard to imagine they would be a better team next yr without him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cliff Lee DID NOT do this with PHI, people are confusing the facts.

Traded in 2009 from Cle to PHI in a deadline deal.

Signed in SEA as a FA in 2010.

Traded in 2010 from SEA to TEX in a deadline deal. Texas goes on a great run, and wants him back badly.

Signed in PHI as a FA in 2011.

[/QUOTE]

Half right. He went from Philadelphia to Seattle in a trade (after the 2009 season), not by free agency...so the Phillies did trade him and re-sign him, though not in the same year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

SHB thier ##1 priority in off season. now its too late. they will lose Lester.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Jon Lester could be a big difference maker on a contender.  If he's not in the plans due to his asking price, and if this team continues to seesaw, then how could they not at least consider trading him?  At worst the Sox can pursue him as a FA - albeit at an inflated asking price because there will be competition for his services.  Only the Sox FO truly knows what they're willing to pay the man and what his asking price is.  I think Jon Lester and his willingness to "take the home town discount" depends a lot on where he sees his market value after watching guys like Kershaw sign and watching Scherzer turn down $144 mil.  Maybe the FO knows he's not going to sign for what they're willing to offer and they pull the trigger.     

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

July 31st is going to be an interesting date, if they don't sign him by then. Figure about 10 more starts and then he'll be Free Agent, I wouldn't sign after this date, or the Sox will really have to up the ante.
    Yanks smart team, they take the best players from the Sox, it helps their team, and helps weaken their Division rivals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

July 31st is going to be an interesting date, if they don't sign him by then. Figure about 10 more starts and then he'll be Free Agent, I wouldn't sign after this date, or the Sox will really have to up the ante.
    Yanks smart team, they take the best players from the Sox, it helps their team, and helps weaken their Division rivals.

[/QUOTE]

it helps initially and then hampers them in the long run

besides, not too many yankees (esp in the context of their contracts) the Sox would take over the last several years.  Last year I could not name a single one. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Thing is the Yanks don't worry about money or Luxury Tax. If they don't have it in the Farm they will shop for one. Their MO is trying to put a competitive team on the field. Been doing that for years. After most of their Free Agents are done with their Contracts, they are past their prime anyway.
    Only one they let get away was Cano, Yanks had too many holes to fill this Past Off Season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I'm just thinking with Sabbathia breaking down and not the same Pitcher he was, Lester being a Lefty would be a good addition for them. I think the Yanks go hard after him in Off-Season. I think they will also go after Shields too.
    Lester should be signed ASAP.

Sections
Shortcuts