Jon wild all night so far

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Re: Jon wild all night so far

Posted this elsewhere, but John Smoltz on MLB said that the ump made a "mistake" calling Lester's 0-1 changeup to Swisher a ball, because Smoltz said it hit the black of the plate. He said that would change the at bat, and we all know it did. He also noted that Mariano got that same location called a strike against Reddick and said the ump was "inconsistent" (he also said that Mariano got the call based on status, although he used the term "veteran" or something like that). Smoltz is no Red Sox fan, but obviously has a pitcher's perspective about umpires.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Jon wild all night so far:
    [QUOTE]Posted this elsewhere, but John Smoltz on MLB said that the ump made a "mistake" calling Lester's 0-1 changeup to Swisher a ball, because Smoltz said it hit the black of the plate. He said that would change the at bat, and we all know it did. He also noted that Mariano got that same location called a strike against Reddick and said the ump was "inconsistent" (he also said that Mariano got the call based on status, although he used the term "veteran" or something like that). Smoltz is no Red Sox fan, but obviously has a pitcher's perspective about umpires.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

We watched both pitches hit the same place in the "outside" the strike zone.  Jon was wild and had one bad inning that killed him, it had nothing to do with the ump.  If anything Jon got a couple lucky calls back later on, even though the pitches were also out of the strike zone.  Both Remy and Orsillo agreed!

Water under the bridge now!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

Re: John wild all night so far

In Response to Re: John wild all night so far:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: John wild all night so far : Sorry max but I don't buy it.  I'm amazed how some fans on our board can come up with such strong opinions of our team, yet they don't live anywhere near Boston.  In many cases they havn't even stepped foot in Boston their entire lives or seen a game on NESN.  It shows, there is no hiding it from the Boston locals sorry despite your expert opinions.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

What an ignorant post.  What in the heck does living near Boston have to do with anything?  So if you don't live near Boston you can't have an informed opinion of OUR team?  Guess what, the world doesn't start and end with NESN.

They have this thing called the internet these days.  You can also subscribe to the Globe even when you don't live in New England.  There are also games on WGN, TBS, ESPN and there is always the MLB package.  Additionally, here in the DC area the Sox are on every time they play the Orioles.  Even this forum provides a way for displaced Sox fans to keep current.  I make the drive to Baltimore when the Sox are in town and each year I host my friends and family from the Boston area because they can actually fly down to DC and stay with me and see the games for less than it costs for them to go to Fenway. 

There are plenty of loyal, informed Sox fans who were born and raised in New England whose careers have taken them outside the area.  I've gotten up in the middle of the night in Europe to watch games and gottten up early in the morning in the Pacific to watch games.  I've huddled with Sox fans in Afghanistan to watch the Sox play.  Many of those Sox fans are just as dedicated and well informed as those who live in the Boston area.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

I will take 3 runs from any starting pitcher any day. This is offense problem; swing the bats and you will win. There is no pitcher on the earth who can stop the Yankees not to sore 3 runs. Jon did excellent job, as always. The bats did not support him. Too much money is paid for these bats and they need to show something in return. Yankees have a great chance of sweeing the sox and if it happens do not blame the pitching, blame lame bats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think craze4sox just went a little overboard on that comment about Sox fans not living in New England.  A lot of great history in New England, and not just in Boston.  The 20th Maine saved the Union's bacon at Gettysburg thanks to a future Governor of Maine, Joshua Chamberlain.  And much more. So a fierce local pride is understandable. 

Even though born there, I don't feel like a New Englander, but I sure do admire them.  And Boston is a heckuva town. 

Lackey just got squeezed by a different umpire than last night.  Sabathia has gotten every single call on a ball near or in the strike zone, but not Lackey. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I thought Lester complained about a couple of called balls in the first inning...and the umpire took exception and didn't give him very many "close" pitches after that...it hurt him in the sixth inning when Tex walked...I thought some of those pitches were stikes. At the end of the game I watched Salty and Reddick both strike out looking at pitches that were balls...but Mo gets those calls...I was wondering what Lester would have to do to get those calls. Oh by the way...if you have MLB.com you get NESN...anywhere in the country...or maybe the world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John wild all night so far : What an ignorant post.  What in the heck does living near Boston have to do with anything?  So if you don't live near Boston you can't have an informed opinion of OUR team?  Guess what, the world doesn't start and end with NESN. They have this thing called the internet these days.  You can also subscribe to the Globe even when you don't live in New England.  There are also games on WGN, TBS, ESPN and there is always the MLB package.  Additionally, here in the DC area the Sox are on every time they play the Orioles.  Even this forum provides a way for displaced Sox fans to keep current.  I make the drive to Baltimore when the Sox are in town and each year I host my friends and family from the Boston area because they can actually fly down to DC and stay with me and see the games for less than it costs for them to go to Fenway.  There are plenty of loyal, informed Sox fans who were born and raised in New England whose careers have taken them outside the area.  I've gotten up in the middle of the night in Europe to watch games and gottten up early in the morning in the Pacific to watch games.  I've huddled with Sox fans in Afghanistan to watch the Sox play.  Many of those Sox fans are just as dedicated and well informed as those who live in the Boston area.             
    Posted by DCSoxFan13[/QUOTE]

Anyone who disagrees with a call that was quite clearly shown on the "Amika pitch zone" on NESN simply doesn't live in the area, or doesn't get the channel.  I was sticking up for the Red Sox network that proved Lackey's questionable pitches were in fact out of the strike zone. 

Both Remy and Orsillo also agreed.  I wasn't knocking Sox fans just stating a fact, anyone who gets and/or watches NESN would never disagree after watchiing the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John wild all night so far : Anyone who disagrees with a call that was quite clearly shown on the "Amika pitch zone" on NESN simply doesn't live in the area, or doesn't get the channel.  I was sticking up for the Red Sox network that proved Lackey's questionable pitches were in fact out of the strike zone.  Both Remy and Orsillo also agreed.  I wasn't knocking Sox fans just stating a fact, anyone who gets and/or watches NESN would never disagree after watchiing the game.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Really, because that isn't even close to what you said.  What you said in response to Max's post is:

"I'm amazed how some fans on our board can come up with such strong opinions of our team, yet they don't live anywhere near Boston.  In many cases they havn't even stepped foot in Boston their entire lives or seen a game on NESN.  It shows, there is no hiding it from the Boston locals sorry despite your expert opinions."

If I misinterpreted your original post then bad on me.  However, based on your words above, I think you were pretty clear.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

NESN happens to be available to anyone in the USA with a view of the southern sky or has cable service that offers MLB Extra innings. True Red Sox fans with $180 per year of discretionary income have no excuse for not watching all of the games on NESN. Many fans in New England may choose to not get NESN on their cable package. I don't see any merit in the geography argument. Let's try to be happy after a satisfying win instead of debating minutia like this

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, the "Amika Strike Zone" s 100% accurate, because the great NESN uses it. All othee non-Boston syatems are inferior. 40 years of my near total immersion in the game of baseball should be tossed out the window, because I happen to have moved from New England and NESN country 4 years ago? (By the way, I have watched 99% of every Sox game since 1981. Before that, I watched of listened on the radio to nearly every Sox game since 1972. I also watch most of the games on NESN here in Sugar Land, TX).

Yes, Lester got some help with calls in the game, but in my opinion, he was squeezed in the inning that mattered. To say, the umps calls had no effect on the outcome of the game is an opinion. The "Amika Strike Zone" is evidence to support your position, but it does not prove anything.

I believe its called the "Amica pitch zone" on NESN and its a great tool.  Those fans that thought Jon got squeezed last night were obviously just watching the game and coming to their own conclusion

You were just "obviously watching the game" as well. You believe technology is flwless. You believe that because two announcers agree with their own station's technology, you are 100% right, and we are just "out-of-towners" lacking the wisdom and access to flawless systems. Stop being so condescending.

What actually happened was Jon had in fact missed the strike zone when he felt otherwise.  Then during the game the ump gave him back a couple pitches in the same area.  We simply lost the game because the Yanks pen shut down our offense and Adrian SO with the bases
     loaded.

No, we simply lost the game because we werre outscored 3-2. Some of us feel the Yanks scored 3 runs in an inning were a couple questionable calls were made that led to 1-2 runs being scored. I am not saying I know I am 100% correct, as you seem to be saying. I am saying I THINK Jon got squeezed. 

Anyone who disagrees with a call that was quite clearly shown on the "Amika pitch zone" on NESN simply doesn't live in the area, or doesn't get the channel.  I was sticking up for the Red Sox network that proved Lackey's questionable pitches were in fact out of the strike zone.  

Both Remy and Orsillo also agreed.  I wasn't knocking Sox fans just stating a fact, anyone who gets and/or watches NESN would never disagree after watchiing the game.

I have often disagreed with the "Amika Strike Zone" and other station's "Zones" as well, both for against the Sox pitchers and opponent's pitchers. I am not being a "homer" (or non-home homer). I think the calls all balance out over a season, and never have felt that the Sox are routinely or overly short-changed on calls. I do think Jon was last night. I live farther away from Boston than you, but I have a big screen TV, and maybe I was sitting closer to it that you were to yours, and I replayed in several times on DVR. I stick by my opinion. I respect your opinion, but not your holier-than-thou attitude..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think the funniest thing I ever saw when it came to fandom occurred on the B's board when some poster said something to the effect of--they were a Bruins fan and hoped they won the Cup, but that no matter what they were going to root for Winnipeg next season because Winnipeg got a new NHL team (Thrashers of poor Atlanta).

I don't think it's so much about where you live (I became a Boston fan living in Boston as a child), but do you continue to root for the team you root for. It just floors me that many of my friends over the years have actually switched teams, switched allegiances based on the city they live in, or the mediocrity of the team they stopped rooting for, etc...I also get floored by rooting for 4 different cities/teams in 4 different sports, but to each their own. I think once a Sox fan, always a Sox fan. I was more of a rabid fan prior to 2004 when RSN became the "in thing" for people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Winnipeg fan only gets a pass on the fact I guess he was also an old Winnipeg fan before they moved out of town. I don't know what I'd do in the same scenario. The 4 Boston teams are just entrenched in New England. However, I would have a tough time rooting relentlessly for one team, then just turn the page to someone else a next season. Especially if you win it all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I "turned the page:, so to speak.

I lived in Milwaukee until the 5th grade, about 2 blocks from the old county stadium. I am still a huge Packer fan and still am a Bucks fan. I used to go to Brewer games for $1 and sit in the bleachers. My favorite player was Tommy Harper. My family moved to Portland, Maine in the early 70's, and soon afterwards, Harper was traded to the Sox. I switched to being a Sox fan, and the rest is history.