Jonny Gomes, DH?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Jonny Gomes, DH?

If Papi can't start the season due to his Achilles, doesn't it give us a stronger lineup, both offensively and defensively, if we let JBJ start the season on the roster and in LF, and slide Gomes to DH until Ortiz is ready to go?  Napoli has done well @ 1st so far, and this gives us a great defensive outfield.  Gomes needs to show he can hit righties somewhat, or he will be looking at less than 250 plate appearances.  I'd much prefer this scenario over Gomes in LF, Napoli at DH and Carp/Nava/Overbay at 1st.  Lineup would look like this until Papi can play, hopefully by the home opener:

Ells
    Pedroia
    Drew (notice he has been getting starts there in ST)
    Napoli
    Victorino
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Gomes
    Bradley Jr.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Jonny Gomes, DH?

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

If Papi can't start the season due to his Achilles, doesn't it give us a stronger lineup, both offensively and defensively, if we let JBJ start the season on the roster and in LF, and slide Gomes to DH until Ortiz is ready to go?  Napoli has done well @ 1st so far, and this gives us a great defensive outfield.  Gomes needs to show he can hit righties somewhat, or he will be looking at less than 250 plate appearances.  I'd much prefer this scenario over Gomes in LF, Napoli at DH and Carp/Nava/Overbay at 1st.  Lineup would look like this until Papi can play, hopefully by the home opener:

Ells
    Pedroia
    Napoli
    Victorino
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Gomes
    Bradley Jr.

And then send JBJ back to AAA, when Ortiz returns?

I'm not positive, but I think that burns a year of control over JBJ for very little return.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Ells
    Pedroia
    Napoli
    Victorino
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Gomes
    Bradley Jr.

This is what I was wondering.  When does the arbitration clock start ticking?  Is there a difference between a player spending the first month of the season on the ML roster, and then going down, as opposed to waiting for May 1st to bring a guy up?  Of course if he played well from the start then obviously he was ready and you just wave good-bye to Sweeney (Or Nava/Overbay).

I'm not positive, but I think that burns a year of control over JBJ for very little return.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Ells
    Pedroia
    Napoli
    Victorino
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Gomes
    Bradley Jr.

Trade Ells when Papi returns. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Ells
    Pedroia
    Napoli
    Victorino
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Gomes
    Bradley Jr.

well.. i came up with this idea about a week ago and I got bashed... they never listen... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Right now, the Red Sox management is reacting from it's mistakes. The last thing they need to do is worry about paying Bradley, Jr. a fraction of their massive budget in another half a decade or so. How 'bout making roster decisions to win baseball games.

So you would rather have him for 6 years instead of 7?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank N Stein. Show Frank N Stein's posts

Right now, the Red Sox management is reacting from it's mistakes. The last thing they need to do is worry about paying Bradley, Jr. a fraction of their massive budget in another half a decade or so. How 'bout making roster decisions to win baseball games.

You know as well as I that Henry and company are more concerned with the business end , ratings and concession sales.

They will continue to make moves based on financial gain.

These are business people , not baseball people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

The so have shown in the past that if a young player is someone they think is key to the future of the team then they will sign him up early...like they did with Pedey, Lester, etc...if JBJ in two years is what we hope he is....they can long term him then at a lower rate and the control issue doesnt matter.....if this is a team they think can be better and win this year with JBJ, if even for a short period of time, then we dont act like KC,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

The so have shown in the past that if a young player is someone they think is key to the future of the team then they will sign him up early...like they did with Pedey, Lester, etc...if JBJ in two years is what we hope he is....they can long term him then at a lower rate and the control issue doesnt matter.....if this is a team they think can be better and win this year with JBJ, if even for a short period of time, then we dont act like KC,

that's if he is willing to sign before he hits FA (buch, pedey etc.).... what if he wants to hit FA and test the market like Ells or Paps?

also if papi is not ready to go when the season starts they will likely have Naps DH and have Nava/Carp/overbay take over first base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

We can certaily try...but like Ellsbury, JBJ is a Boras client...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

well.. i came up with this idea about a week ago and I got bashed... they never listen...

Maybe it's  you who should have listened.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think thats a reasonable idea, but i think at this point regardless of the ortiz situation, jackie bradley jr should be the sox starting LF come opening day. Gomes is not a starter, he is a platoon guy, he mashes lefties and is ok against righties but not great. Start bradley jr and give gomes at bats against lefties. Who cares about starting his clock early, we need to win games. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Fallacy. Plaing minor league baseball isn't "have him for an extra year". The Red Sox could easily pay him for 7 years or more by making him a long term contract offer now that gives him a guarantee of immediate financial security. Frankly, 7 years from now, the Red Sox don't need to be worrying about being FA bidders for Bradley. They need to get a grip on how much money they throw away and start constructing rosters to win baseball games. Because there is no value in it, they need to give up the stupid 150 million plus payrolls a year. If they can't find a GM who can take a 110 to 120M budget and make the playoffs almost every season, they will continue to spend more for worse teams.

look at the perennial playoff teams for the past 5-10 years.... then look at their payrolls. who has a payroll of 110M

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Fallacy. Plaing minor league baseball isn't "have him for an extra year". The Red Sox could easily pay him for 7 years or more by making him a long term contract offer now that gives him a guarantee of immediate financial security. Frankly, 7 years from now, the Red Sox don't need to be worrying about being FA bidders for Bradley. They need to get a grip on how much money they throw away and start constructing rosters to win baseball games. Because there is no value in it, they need to give up the stupid 150 million plus payrolls a year. If they can't find a GM who can take a 110 to 120M budget and make the playoffs almost every season, they will continue to spend more for worse teams.

Like I said above, they can try for a long term deal buying out a couple arb years as well as a couple FA years. Which is what I would try and do after his first 2 years in MLB. But like Ellsbury, JBJ is a Boras client and he wants all his players to go to FA, so it isnt any where near a guarentee he would do it...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

I for one would welcome the scenario of Bradley in left and Gomes at DH.

Who the hell gives a rat's butt about the free agency clock for Bradley?

We need renewed enthusiasm in the form of a young, dynamic, and gifted player.

Why wait?  For what?  To what end?

This team needs a jolt, big time, and Bradley could be it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

+1

Exactly Softy - after all the yo yo nonsense of the recent years and watching the useless vets get chance after chance to screw the season over (Wakefield anyone) because it gives the team more "leverage/control", you would think WINNING and putting out the best team would be paramount. Reddick said it a month agao that his time with the Sox was frustrating because he just wasn't allowed to play regularly or even stick around long enough to get at bats, get into a groove, and build confidence. I'm tired of the Sox being the team of 27 year old rookies. Play your GD best players - not the retreads you signed (DrewII).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Drew, Ortiz, Napoli, and Dempster are ALL players who never should have been signed for this season. None of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Ells
    Pedroia
    Napoli
    Victorino
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Gomes
    Bradley Jr.

If BRADLEY is to start the year with Sox they would lose one year of free agency on him. Means he could become free agent a year sooner. Would be bad move so they will keep him in AAA at least two months to protect themselves then they could call him up and not lose that year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Drew, Ortiz, Napoli, and Dempster are ALL players who never should have been signed for this season. None of them.

Add Shane V.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Ells
    Pedroia
    Napoli
    Victorino
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Gomes
    Bradley Jr.

If he can't start the season?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is simple. The Sox should put there best nine on the field every day. At this point , Bradley certainly looks like he belongs in there.  Looking years into the future is foolish. Who knows what the situation will be six or seven years from now ?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It is simple. The Sox should put there best nine on the field every day. At this point , Bradley certainly looks like he belongs in there.  Looking years into the future is foolish. Who knows what the situation will be six or seven years from now ?

It is really simple... Not your money and not your problem .Sox think they have a a gem ! and want to protect it as long as they can... If ? They decided that 2 months wait is best move they will do it .We will see.This is smart move not FOOLISH ! as you don't understand it. Bradley looks really good hope the right chioce is made.

Sections
Shortcuts