jose Abreu, the one that got away...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

jose Abreu, the one that got away...

I guess Ben isn't that great at finding talents from other countries... To think if he would of just offered an extra 5M to the overall offer we would of been set at first for the next 6-7 years. 

My prediction is that Jose will be smacking 40 HR for the next 4-5 seasons.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: jose Abreu, the one that got away...

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

I guess Ben isn't that great at finding talents from other countries... To think if he would of just offered an extra 5M to the overall offer we would of been set at first for the next 6-7 years. 

The SOX FO is playing MONEYBALL. The fans' MONEY, John Henry's having a BALL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'm happy with Napoli (and it's tough to see the Red Sox signing Abreu during the World Series when they had Napoli still on the roster), but this may end up being one of those perpetual "What if?" questions.

It feels strange to say, but at $68 million, it looks like the White Sox got a massive bargain...you'd easily pay 2 or 3 times that for a comparable power hitter in free agency right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is so much talent in the foreign free agent market. I think the Sox should be more active in this area. It is a gamble, but justs costs money, not prospects.   Abreu, Puig, Cespedes, Darvish, Chapman and, of course, Tanaka have all gotten away.

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes I think he can easily hit at least 10 home runs a year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox have been very involved in the international market.  Doubront, Hanley, Boagerts, Dic-K, Tazawa.  They also have 3 highly regarded prospects who they've picked up on the international market:

Rafael Devers - Considered the top bat in last years market, compared to Robinson Cano, and has hit older  pitching in XST and looks very age advanced. 

Manuel Margot - 5 Tools, breakout candidate for many prospect evaluators. 

Wendell Rijo - Was considered one of thee best all around prospects in the international market several years ago but his stock slipped due to an ACL injury.  After a full years recovery he is currently tearing up A ball, and is one of the youngest players in all of A ball (I believe he is the 2nd or 3rd youngest)

The Last time the Sox made a big splash in the non July deadline guys was when they threw big money at Dice-K.  The Sox have shown to always go the route people say they won't.  In other words just because they sat on the sidelines against the recent wave of international talent doesn't mean they won't make a big splash for a guy they really like. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox have been very involved in the international market.  Doubront, Hanley, Boagerts, Dic-K, Tazawa.  They also have 3 highly regarded prospects who they've picked up on the international market:

Rafael Devers - Considered the top bat in last years market, compared to Robinson Cano, and has hit older  pitching in XST and looks very age advanced. 

Wendell Rijo - Was considered one of thee best all around prospects in the international market several years ago but his stock slipped due to an ACL injury.  After a full years recovery he is currently tearing up A ball, and is one of the youngest players in all of A ball (I believe he is the 2nd or 3rd youngest)

The Last time the Sox made a big splash in the non July deadline guys was when they threw big money at Dice-K.  The Sox have shown to always go the route people say they won't.  In other words just because they sat on the sidelines against the recent wave of international talent doesn't mean they won't make a big splash for a guy they really like. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].     Well, they did pass on some very talented ones. They signed a few kids, but seemed leery of the more established and well known players. Could it be due to the feeling that they did not get enough value with DiceK ?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I guess Ben isn't that great at finding talents from other countries... To think if he would of just offered an extra 5M to the overall offer we would of been set at first for the next 6-7 years. 

My prediction is that Jose will be smacking 40 HR for the next 4-5 seasons.[/QUOTE]
    I don't regret paying $22 for Jose Abreu and $13 for Mike Napoli in my fantasy league.

Hindsight is 20/20, but Abreu carried risks and we should not read too much into the small April sample.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].     Well, they did pass on some very talented ones. They signed a few kids, but seemed leery of the more established and well known players. Could it be due to the feeling that they did not get enough value with DiceK ?  

[/QUOTE]

This is my feeling. Which is a shame since after Dice-K there has been only homeruns coming from other parts of the world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Ya as someone who was really hoping the sox would sign abreu my level of disappointment continues to grow. We were apparently one of the final 3 in the race to sign him but fell short in the end by not much. While mike Napoli is a good player, he is on the wrong side of 30 and is merely a stop gap at this point. Abreu would have been our 1B for years to come. And relative to what players like abreu would cost on the mlb free agent market, he is looking like a major bargain right now. As someone mentioned, the sox have missed out on a ton of international talent. I get that dice k didn't work out too well, but it's time to move on. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Losing Craig Shipley as head Scout of the International Market, hurt the Sox big time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes and every kid that they passed on.....28 other teams passed on too.  They will make their splashes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Losing Craig Shipley as head Scout of the International Market, hurt the Sox big time.

[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with the scouting department now???? They don't make the decision to sign a guy, or how much they are worth.  And they have a great track record of bringing in amateur international talent over the last several years....better than most teams. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

boom was all over Abreu. So far, kudos to boom.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just think, for all the screw-ups this organization has made, as recounted here in great detail every day, they're still the most successful operation in the game over the last 10 years!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Thanks Moon. It seems to me that you were all over him as well! Lots of people looked at it as a risk but what if the guy is off the charts like his numbers indicated! A possible MVP candidate for under $13 mil a year?

The guy is in better shape than ever and he was one of the top 2 hitters in Cuba when he was fat!

It's tough to project players from Cuba and Japan but I'm not buying the comments that it's A+ ball. For the guys at the top, it's not A + ball. The best players in Japan and Cuba are probably comparable to the best players in the USA.

It's no surprise to me that both are studs now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

They got a kid down there named Alfredo Despaigne, this kid is just as good if not better. Wait till he hits the market. Still just 27 years old.  5'8'' 214 lbs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

There is so much talent in the foreign free agent market. I think the Sox should be more active in this area. It is a gamble, but justs costs money, not prospects.   Abreu, Puig, Cespedes, Darvish, Chapman and, of course, Tanaka have all gotten away.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]
    They have been really active. Bogarts, Tazawa, Igelias, Lin from a couple years back. You can't fault them for Darvish since it was a silent bid and Tanaka made it clear he was headed to NY.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]
    They have been really active. Bogarts, Tazawa, Igelias, Lin from a couple years back. You can't fault them for Darvish since it was a silent bid and Tanaka made it clear he was headed to NY.

[/QUOTE]

All these guys were signed when Shipley was here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Oh no! Another team got a good player!! Was our management team sleeping? Fire 'em all!!

At some point, folks, we have to acknowledge that the other 29 teams have to be able to field a roster....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

boom was all over Abreu. So far, kudos to boom.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Who is this 'boom' dude? The Kuroda fella? [/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yup. That be the one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks Moon. It seems to me that you were all over him as well! Lots of people looked at it as a risk but what if the guy is off the charts like his numbers indicated! A possible MVP candidate for under $13 mil a year?

I did like Abreu a lot, but not as much as you, because I like Napoli as more of a sure bet. My idea for the best big bat to add to the team was not a 1Bman. We really take a hit when we play in an NL park...like in the World Series. Either Papi or Naps/Abreu has to sit. I realize Papi will not be here forever, but finding a 1Bman is usually the easiest position to fill, so I figure we could address that after Papi left. It also would give Middy and Cecchini a chance to win the 1B job by then. (My ulterior motive was to get Bogey to 3B sooner rather than later.)

The guy is in better shape than ever and he was one of the top 2 hitters in Cuba when he was fat!

It's tough to project players from Cuba and Japan but I'm not buying the comments that it's A+ ball. For the guys at the top, it's not A + ball. The best players in Japan and Cuba are probably comparable to the best players in the USA.

It's no surprise to me that both are studs now.

It's a small sample size, but it's hard to think this guy can flame out. He's for real.

notin does make a good point, but one has to think he'd probably have played for us at the same cost, if he had an equal offer from Ben & Co.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The Scout that told the WS to sign him called him the best hitter in the World. Better than Cabrera.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Every time the Sox miss a player, and another team hits on them....there are about 28 other teams that miss on them too.

And sometimes it is a near miss....we can't outbid everyone all the time for every player.

Lets see Texas, Oakland, LA, and CHW win a world series with all these players....when that starts to happen I'll start complaining.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

Every time the Sox miss a player, and another team hits on them....there are about 28 other teams that miss on them too.

And sometimes it is a near miss....we can't outbid everyone all the time for every player.

Lets see Texas, Oakland, LA, and CHW win a world series with all these players....when that starts to happen I'll start complaining.

[/QUOTE]

You won't ever get through to the people who think like that. THey want everything, then want more, and that's still not enough. Heck, the Sox THEMSELVES started to fall into that thinking around the CC signing. They corrected some mistakes, no team is perfect, the Sox do it better than most, and will continue to do so as long as Lucchino is never allowed into personnel, or management decisions again. Cherrington has done a superb job to date, so they'd better just leave him alone.