Jose Iglesias 3 for 2

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Jose Iglesias 3 for 2

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Why are people so concerned about defending Ben's signing of Drew, that they have to demean Iglesias' performance ?   Let's try to go by the results that we are seeing.  Forget about the BABIP , ZIPS , WAR , and the rest of the trendy geek stats.  Iglesias is batting .434 , while playing some of the best defense that we have seen in years.  Can you not just appreciate that ?

I do appreciate it, I've advocated for Iglesias to start for two year and still do.  But you have to face reality as well....his approach at the plate has been suspect.  The results haven't, but unless he makes drastic improvments that will change.

I am sure it will change in that he will not continue to hit .434.    Nobody will.  But he is showing a very good, focused  approach at the plate. He has a short , compact swing , and is not chasing pitches out of the zone. There is no reason why he cannot be a consistently good hitter.

That's just not true.  Iglesias has swung at 35% of pitches outside the zonne.  I will agree he has made strides, and I advocate putting him in the 9 hole and letting him grow, but he chases a lot of pitches.  He has only 1 MLB walk this year.  That's incredibly low. He's not taking pitches, maybe a little lately, bit he just isn't.  He swings at 1/3 of balls and he walks less than 2% 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Drew should be moved to 3rd, then put up for sale when Middlebrooks returns. Middlebrooks hasn't been healhty, but he has the potential to address the biggest weakness on this team.

Substitute "Ellsbury" for "Middlebrooks" in this statement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Jose has a nice little 7 game hit streak... Should of been a 10 gamer, but that PH on the 26th was dumb by Farell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Iglesias looks to me like a guy who can hit .250 in the big leagues.  Which is more than acceptable for a defensive player of his ability.  I hope he settles in as our shortstop for 2014 and the future.

Hes looking a lot better at the plate. 46AB is not nearly enough to come to a definite conclusion. Personally, Id need to see about another 100+ AB's and him sustain a reasonable amount of success to be convinced hes finally turned the corner.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. Are there RS fans who would be willing to bet everything they have from this point forward that Iggy would put up better offensive numbers than Drew for the remainder of the season? While I like what I'm seeing from Iggy @ MLB level still concerned that he was hitting .200 at AAA stop in between. Iggys offensive skills have been surprising, but Drew defensive play has also gone surprising well, but if Iggy can continue to hit at this level, he should be the everyday SS and Drew moved for a prospect [how long before Lowrie hurt again and A's are in need of a SS?] But at this point I'm still not convinced that Iggy won't turned back into that great fielding SS and offensively challenged hitter we all have come to know and love. 100 more games would prove a lot!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't see any of Iggy's hits lucky ones.  He runs down to 1B pretty fast and when he gets infield hits, he hits them deep, between SS and 3B.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I don't see any of Iggy's hits lucky ones.  He runs down to 1B pretty fast and when he gets infield hits, he hits them deep, between SS and 3B.  

Really?  Even though he has a plus .500 BABIP and a very low line drive rate, and a very high ground ball rate?  even the fastest runners in league can't bat .300 year round with that high of a ground ball rate.

Stats need to be taken with a grain of salt but they are useful, they do measure something, and when used correctly with other measures they paint more of a clear picture and less of a narrative.

when you put a ball into play there is a 30% chance it lands.  The statistical average of every ballplayer moves closer to this number the more at bats you get.  The argument against that is the stats don't show hard hit balls, line drives, shots, and bunts....but when you combine BABIP with line drive rates and ground ball rates you really can see what is going on.

Jose Iglesias hits the ball on the ground and pops it up much much more than the league average.  The only way he can possibly get base hits with numbers like that is when pop ups land inbetween outfielders and infielders, when runners leg out softly hit infield grounders, and when ground balls find its way inbetween defenders. Iggy has also walked less than 2% of the time. 

Iggy has not looked good at the plate, but he has very good results.  The difference is unless he cleans up his approach he is due for a very drastic adjustment.  Of course I know that people will ignore this, just like they ignored my calls to not be surprised if Middlebrooks has a sophmore slump, and people ignored the logic that JBJ was going to struggle when the regular season begins.  

For the record, I like IGGY, and let me make it perfectly clear that I think Iggy should be given every opportunity to start.  He has MLB bat speed, he has the tools to hit and I think if given enough time he will hit enough to justify his defense.  But Drew is a top ten SS right now and his defense has been better than advertised.  I'm not ready to throw Drew to the curve because Iggy is getting lucky.

That's....just smart baseball.  Don't worry Iggy will likely stay up with the team when WMB comes back....just don't be surprised at the end of the year when Iglesias is batting under .300

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You are delusional. Iglesias has no business at 3B. Middlebrooks should get the entire season to "sort it out". His issues is his health, which will likely improve at his age.

why didn't you give Jake the same nod when he had the broken ribs??? This shows your inability to treat players who get hurt the same way. You hated jake from the get go and love DMB. You do this all the time and it gets in the way when you make other valid statements like Pedro.

just saying look at what you say and do not beat your dead horse all the time.

With Iglesias and Holt, it's time for another team to pay S. Drew to audtion for his next contract. Waste of time and money.

They should run Ciriaco through waivers and park him back in the minors, as it's a great time to run him through where he will almost surely clear.

They should send a highlight reel of S. Drew to every GM and tell them he's their's if they pay his freight. If not, send some cash and get as much of his contract off the books, as possible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not care if Middlebrooks comes back, the Red Sox MUST have Iglesias in the line-up EVERYDAY!!!   Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Iggy the Yanqui killer .... .590 v Rivals

:o)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Agree 100%. Are there RS fans who would be willing to bet everything they have from this point forward that Iggy would put up better offensive numbers than Drew for the remainder of the season? While I like what I'm seeing from Iggy @ MLB level still concerned that he was hitting .200 at AAA stop in between. Iggys offensive skills have been surprising, but Drew defensive play has also gone surprising well, but if Iggy can continue to hit at this level, he should be the everyday SS and Drew moved for a prospect [how long before Lowrie hurt again and A's are in need of a SS?] But at this point I'm still not convinced that Iggy won't turned back into that great fielding SS and offensively challenged hitter we all have come to know and love. 100 more games would prove a lot!

Iggy's 2013 MLB AB's have been as lucky as his MiLB AB's have been UNlucky (BABIP .500 / .200 MBL vs. MiLB).  So far the only thing you can take away from his playing time in 2013 is that he is still a phenomenal defender, his plate approach is still evolving and he is driving the ball more this year.  That's all very positive IMHO, but crowning him starter ready is about as premature as assuming WMB's 250 AB's last year proved he was going to be a perennial middle of the order bat.  In both cases it's too soon to tell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Really?  Even though he has a plus .500 BABIP and a very low line drive rate, and a very high ground ball rate?  even the fastest runners in league can't bat .300 year round with that high of a ground ball rate.

Stats need to be taken with a grain of salt but they are useful, they do measure something, and when used correctly with other measures they paint more of a clear picture and less of a narrative.

when you put a ball into play there is a 30% chance it lands.  The statistical average of every ballplayer moves closer to this number the more at bats you get.  The argument against that is the stats don't show hard hit balls, line drives, shots, and bunts....but when you combine BABIP with line drive rates and ground ball rates you really can see what is going on.

Jose Iglesias hits the ball on the ground and pops it up much much more than the league average.  The only way he can possibly get base hits with numbers like that is when pop ups land inbetween outfielders and infielders, when runners leg out softly hit infield grounders, and when ground balls find its way inbetween defenders. Iggy has also walked less than 2% of the time. 

Iggy has not looked good at the plate, but he has very good results.  The difference is unless he cleans up his approach he is due for a very drastic adjustment.  Of course I know that people will ignore this, just like they ignored my calls to not be surprised if Middlebrooks has a sophmore slump, and people ignored the logic that JBJ was going to struggle when the regular season begins.  

For the record, I like IGGY, and let me make it perfectly clear that I think Iggy should be given every opportunity to start.  He has MLB bat speed, he has the tools to hit and I think if given enough time he will hit enough to justify his defense.  But Drew is a top ten SS right now and his defense has been better than advertised.  I'm not ready to throw Drew to the curve because Iggy is getting lucky.

That's....just smart baseball.  Don't worry Iggy will likely stay up with the team when WMB comes back....just don't be surprised at the end of the year when Iglesias is batting under .300

Excellent post Hugh.  Agree 100%.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Substitute "Ellsbury" for "Middlebrooks"

Ellsbury has never been the answer to slugging v. LP. Middlebrooks, who had 7 homers before the DL, has the potential to address that serious issue.

What you say there ^^ is true but it doesn't address what you referred to as "The biggest weakness on this team". 

At this point in the season the team's biggest weakness isn't a lack of slugging, rather it's the inabilty of the leadoff man to get on base, and that's a problem Middlebrooks isn't going to solve. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

It could very well be as simple as the work he did with pedy in the off-season. In an interview pedy said that he told iggy to use his hand eye coordination to his advantage when batting. Also I remember when Hanley was in the system many scouting reports had him as a defense first shortstop. It turned out that he was a beast at the plate and so bad in the field that he probably won't be playing short that much longer. It's hard to tell sometimes how a player is going to be until they actually make it to the show.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Substitute "Ellsbury" for "Middlebrooks"

Ellsbury has never been the answer to slugging v. LP. Middlebrooks, who had 7 homers before the DL, has the potential to address that serious issue.

Middlebrooks was struggling badly before he got hurt. He had that 3hr game and 4 more spred out. Middy isnt struggling because of the injury like your trying to say. If hes still struggling come July, he goes back to AAA and replaced with someone that can get the job done. Potential doesnt win games, production does.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Excellent post Hugh.  Agree 100%.

[/QUOTE]

I 2nd that...Great post!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

It could very well be as simple as the work he did with pedy in the off-season. In an interview pedy said that he told iggy to use his hand eye coordination to his advantage when batting. Also I remember when Hanley was in the system many scouting reports had him as a defense first shortstop. It turned out that he was a beast at the plate and so bad in the field that he probably won't be playing short that much longer. It's hard to tell sometimes how a player is going to be until they actually make it to the show.

They played pepper. Iggy had never played it before. Amazing, huh? What kid that has played baseball has never played pepper at age 22? Just goes to show how much of a raw talent he was and how great he can become. Hes still got a ways to go, but I like what Ive seen so far.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Considering Iglesias' bat-speed, hand-eye coordination, and bunting ability there is some reason to believe he might not be as lucky as it looks. To get a better idea I think it might be helpful to see what he does with balls in play when facing a two strike count. It is at least possible he's shortening his swing and placing the ball. 

Anyone paid close enough attention to get a read on this? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Jose leading the rally force tonight! Gotta love it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from igotgyroballs. Show igotgyroballs's posts

Iglesias isnt going anywhere!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

They played pepper. Iggy had never played it before. Amazing, huh? What kid that has played baseball has never played pepper at age 22? Just goes to show how much of a raw talent he was and how great he can become. Hes still got a ways to go, but I like what Ive seen so far.

Never played pepper??? Unbelievable!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Jose with 3 walks, and a hit!!!

Now has career line of .270 .338 .375!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's as it Iglesias read my posts about him not walking and said. "oh yeah; watch this"

Im loving it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Considering Iglesias' bat-speed, hand-eye coordination, and bunting ability there is some reason to believe he might not be as lucky as it looks. To get a better idea I think it might be helpful to see what he does with balls in play when facing a two strike count. It is at least possible he's shortening his swing and placing the ball. 

Anyone paid close enough attention to get a read on this? 

I just checked this.  With 2 strikes this year his totals are

15/38, 3 2B.  .395/.440/.474, .556 .avg on balls in play

Obviously he won't keep this up, no one ever has.  However, last year there was a general consensus that if he could hit .250 in the majors he should be starting.