Jose Iglesias for a front line pitcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Jose Iglesias for a front line pitcher

I don't understand why people are writing off 2013 already as a bridge year.  Re fielders, where are our biggest holes assuming no movement of major pieces like Pedey and Ells and $85m+ of salary to spend (if we can)?:

1B, DH, LF, RF....not a huge worry IMO, the easiest positions to fill

Pitching?  Yep, needs work, but SP isn't a disaster if Buch and Lester maintain their current form (SSS for Lester, but I expect he'll regress to his high mean) and Lackey can revert to anything like his pre-injury norm to be a strong 4/5.  BP?  A lot depends on Bailey's health, but we have a lot of good arms around now.

I'm not saying we are a 2013 favourite, but the above is not a train wreck plus the money in the bank.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Ben just pulled off the deal of the century and some want more?  Iggy goes nowhere is you ask me.  I realize the RS need pitching but the RS don't really know what they have in this guy yet so neither do any other teams.  Right now they know what we do and its that he struggles at the plate....getting better but struggling.  We need to play him at this level to properly evaluate and so does any potential trade partner, good or bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias for a front line pitcher:
    Ben just pulled off the deal of the century and some want more?  Iggy goes nowhere is you ask me.  I realize the RS need pitching but the RS don't really know what they have in this guy yet so neither do any other teams.  Right now they know what we do and its that he struggles at the plate....getting better but struggling.  We need to play him at this level to properly evaluate and so does any potential trade partner, good or bad.
    Posted by never1954

The Sox do not need to play Iglesias at the MLB level to properly evaluate him...that's what the minor leagues are for.   They have scouts far more able than us to report that he can't hit in AAA.

Your comment I highlighted above is exactly right IMO....the Sox don't think he can cope at the MLB level right now and may never....but his trade value is similarly degraded because every other team has the same concerns.

So let him play FT in AAA, while he hopefully continues to slowly but steadily learns to hit even a little bit rather than make silly short term judgements on what we hope for?

Sections
Shortcuts