Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?

Is Jose Iglesias a good defender or does the shortstop merely display a flashy glove?

There's a distinction ... and the answer to that question might determine whether Iglesias has an MLB future regardless of his bat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Iggy is a good defender. Figgins still being paid on WA?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust?:
    [QUOTE]I see catching the same way, just not in a 40 year old guy who is wooden and has no arm strength left.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

I get the wooden and noodle arm bashing, but you also keep bashing his bat, which placed him 16th in OPS among starting MLB catchers last year.

You bashed his durability when he caught more innings than all but 2 back-up catchers, but you choose to harp on one missed game at the end of September.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Iggy is a good defender. Figgins still being paid on WA?
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

First chink in the armor for Z.  They lost a clearly superior Beltre, then signed Figgins, then for a reason that escapes me, switched him to 2nd, and their 2b to 3rd.  They had Ackley coming up.  It makes no sense to me to switch Figgins for one year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias: Real potential or future bust? : First chink in the armor for Z.  They lost a clearly superior Beltre, then signed Figgins, then for a reason that escapes me, switched him to 2nd, and their 2b to 3rd.  They had Ackley coming up.  It makes no sense to me to switch Figgins for one year.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    That wasn't the first chink.

Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik traded Mike Morse for Ryan Langerhans on June 28, 2009, before signing Chone Figgins as a free agent on December 8, 2009.Wink

Still, Zdurienick has the Mariners headed in the right direction.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I criticize Varitek for all aspects of MLB player ineptitude, which comes with being too old.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The kid is 21 and he hit fine until last year, even playing age advanced. He is going to be fine and I expect him to hit much better in 2012. The only problem is, as Moon has stated, Iglesias looks like he will have little left on his contract by the time he is ready to help us much. He may well be trade bait. I'd seriously consider trading Lowrie and bring Iglesias up after ST. See how he does for a while and consider extending him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He's here for defense.  He will deliver.  If you have the ability, a defenseive skillset is the easiest to translate from level to level as a player progresses.

If you think he is going to hit .280 with 10-15HRs, then he will be a bust.  But as a player he will be a lot closer to Cesar Izturis than to Maicer Izturis.  Maicer is the much better hitter, but who has the Gold Glove?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You wonder if Scutty goes down with an extended injury, if they will go with Iggy over Aviles (and Lowrie, if he's still here).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxfan-Scotland. Show Soxfan-Scotland's posts

The bottom 5 rookies from last season (average & OBP highlighted)

Nishioka, TMINSS68221145050019154324.226.278.249.527
    Belt, BSF1B63187214261918205732.225.306.412.718
    Trout, MLAAOF4012320276051693040.220.281.390.672
    Arencibia, JTORC129443479720423783613311.219.282.438.720
    Conger, HLAAC59177143780619173700.209.282.356.638

Give him until the All-Star game then bring him up. He'll do fine

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Is Jose Iglesias a good defender or does the shortstop merely display a flashy glove? There's a distinction ... and the answer to that question might determine whether Iglesias has an MLB future regardless of his bat.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

This is a question mark at this point Hill.  It seems that the overwhelming consensus is that he is already some kind of defesnive stud.  But, looking at his numbers, his cup o coffee, and hearing what his managers at Portland and Pawtucket had to say, he is not yet a sound defensive player, though obviously, as you say, he has a flashy glove.  

I think,though it is unfortunate the way the club control works out with Jose, he is at least a year away.  Not just for his bat.  He is only 21.  I think, much to Alibi Ike's chagrin, we are looking at 2013 earliest.

With another year at AAA, it seems likely that his D could easily be shored up (kid has a great work ethic).  And, it is conceivable that his bat will approach MLB acceptable.  For those that are espousing the Shortstop-doesn't-need-to-have-stick line of thinking, I agree.  BUT, never mind .250/.330 or whatever, I don't think the kid approaches Mendoza with what he's got right now.  And he does need to not be a black hole.  I love mark Belanger, but, even Belanger, though a meh hitter by any standards, could get it done.  In my eyes, Iglesias is at least a year away from being able to just get it done at the plate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

The only problem is, as Moon has stated, Iglesias looks like he will have little left on his contract by the time he is ready to help us much. He may well be trade bait

Iggy's trade value is not high. If he does well this year, he still has another contract year after that. With what the Red Sox have invested, they should extend his contract 2 more years through age 25 while his value is low. Nothing would be more stupid than paying over 8 million and time and facilities and then deep six write off a guy who would pink slipped at age 23. Now is the time to offer him a low cost 2 year extension.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only problem is, as Moon has stated, Iglesias looks like he will have little left on his contract by the time he is ready to help us much. He may well be trade bait

Iggy's trade value is not high. If he does well this year, he still has another contract year after that. With what the Red Sox have invested, they should extend his contract 2 more years through age 25 while his value is low. Nothing would be more stupid than paying over 8 million and time and facilities and then deep six write off a guy who would pink slipped at age 23. Now is the time to offer him a low cost 2 year extension.  

Once again, you missed my point. I made my position very clear. I have always wanted great fielding SSs (as you do), and wanted Iggy playing FT for the Sox in 2011, even if he hit .215. The reason I said we should seriously consider trading him (for equal or greater value only) is that Sox management does not have the same SS philosophy as we do. Maybe Ben is different, but I'm not holding my breath. Iggy will likely not be our FT SS until he proves he can hit over .260/.270ish. That will probably not happen in the next 2 years. His contract will run out, and I'm not sure if he gets arb or not, but my thought is that some MLb team would probably start him at SS in 2012, if they had him. My instincts tell me that the team trading for him will value him more than Sox management values a SS who will not be with the big club for at least anorther year and whose deal runs out after 2013. 

Saying I think it is best to trade Iggy, is not saying I do not value him. Quite the opposite is true. It is saying Sox management does not value him as much as another team may.

I'd offer him an extension, but I doubt he would accept a "low cost" one you have in mind, and the Sox aren't going to do soon. Unless the Sox have changed their mentality about the value of SS defense, I do not think extending Iggy is wise, since they may never give him a chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Defense gets you to the bigs, but hitting will keep him there...

He needs to build some success in the Minors...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Jose Iglesias is a already a special defensive SS.  Think about how many the Red Sox have had, probably Nomar and then Alex Gonzalez for most of 2 seasons, and otherwise not since Rick Burleson.  Smooth fielding Iglesias is worth seeing and carrying on a team with all the offense.  Let's not be too quick to trade Jose as his value will be realized, based primarily on his defensive skills.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Iglesias was not MLB drafted and as Internationial player signng will be a FA at contract end.

The going rate for black hole hitter elite defensive level MLB SS is about base 1. Offer him an extension after "poor season" of 3 years at 1.75M base with player opt out after 2nd year of extension so he can still have a chance to try and cash in on FA in mid 20's. No reason he would turn that down this winter, given the likely projection that he will always be a glove and weak hitter SS profile.

I don't care what Cherry thinks, when it comes to what I advocate for the Red Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iglesias was not MLB drafted and as Internationial player signng will be a FA at contract end. 

This is different from what you said before.

The going rate for black hole hitter elite defensive level MLB SS is about base 1. Offer him an extension after "poor season" of 3 years at 1.75M base with player opt out after 2nd year of extension so he can still have a chance to try and cash in on FA in mid 20's. No reason he would turn that down this winter, given the likely projection that he will always be a glove and weak hitter SS profile. 

If great defense / poor hitting SSs get $1M, why are you suddenly for an overpay?

I don't care what Cherry thinks, when it comes to what I advocate for the Red Sox.

I get that, but you continually misinterpret my posts. I clearly said, I like Iggy and want him to play everyday, but that if management does not believe in great D-Low O SSs, then he will be of little value to us, unless he is forced into action by injuries. That was my point about trading him. His value elsewhere is greater than his value on a team that does not appreciate great fielding SSs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I am sure that Boston would like to keep him for another year to back up Scutaro. But if Boston are thinking of trading him away, that is because Boston just want a salary relief.  He is being paid 2 mm plus a year for the next two more seasons. That is why Boston is still evualating him to see if he can be a ready SS for the 2013 season.  

Do I want to trade him, no!!  He is only 21.  Give him one more year chance!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox have been pretty aggressive at pushing him though the system as well....Remember he is only 21.  They pushed him through single A and Double A in one season and then had him starting last year in Pawtucket....It's not as if he is 24,25 stuck in the minors.  This will be the first year he has not been aggressively pushed up to the next level, so it may say a lot about him if his numbers improve in Pawtucket. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He is being paid 2 mm plus a year for the next two more seasons. That is why Boston is still evualating him to see if he can be a ready SS for the 2013 season.  

So, they basically are paying him $8M for the hopes he makes it in his final year of the deal (2013). Play him now or trade him to a team that will get 2 years of ML value from him. Extending him only makes sense if the Sox organization has changed its view on light hitting-great fielding SSs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clff. Show clff's posts

I have not been impressed by any at bats I've seen Iglesias have, but I also keep thinking back to Rafael Belliard, who I saw play in the Carolina League way back when. I thought he had the worst swing I'd ever seen from a professional ballplayer but he did have a 17-year ML career.

If the Red Sox can get something very good in return, I'd be up for trading him in a heartbeat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Real potential. " Holdem back Bob", is gone. Now he's GM's assistant. All last year we kept hearing he's not ready. From Jim Rice to Lou Merloni to Sean Mc Adams and Chad Finn. The Kool-Ade was ladled out with anabashed regularity from Baseball OPS to the aformentioned media people and others.This kid should have had his shot last year. With the recent front office changes, things are looking better for this guy. I think our new Field Commander will see beyond the numbers and put him on the 25 man roster if he has the same kind of ST he had in 2011. If it doesn't happen early next year it will happen later next year .....he will get his shot. I hope he's ready.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I had no idea he was a FA after 2013. So if i understand this the Sox signed a 17 year old for 4 years at 2 million a year. What is that? How would you ever expect to get 8 million dollars of value out of a 17 year old in 4 years? This seems to be to be beyond stupid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I had no idea he was a FA after 2013. So if i understand this the Sox signed a 17 year old for 4 years at 2 million a year. What is that? How would you ever expect to get 8 million dollars of value out of a 17 year old in 4 years? This seems to be to be beyond stupid.

But, adding to the "stupidity" would be not to give him a chance or not to get something for him in trade while his value is still somewhat high. I'm pretty sure there are a couple teams who would start him next year. Unless Ben is the polar opposite of Theo, I doubt Iggy will even get a real chance to be the FT SS in 2013 either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

I am a big on developing from within the organization. But, I also think you never know what your gonna get until you bring them up and put 100+ gmes under their belts. Which on a contending team is very hard to do. 

He is already a top 10 fielder type of guy, at bats we really don't know. 

Looks like the team isn't trying to go for the gold ring this year, why not bring him up for a while.