Jose Iglesias starting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Jose Iglesias starting?

Oh yeah, I think with Bobby V at the helm, and Iglesias working hard on his plate fundamentals I expect Jose to be our everyday shortstop. Just being optimistic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Jose Iglesias starting?

In Response to Jose Iglesias starting?:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, I think with Bobby V at the helm, and Iglesias working hard on his plate fundamentals I expect Jose to be our everyday shortstop. Just being optimistic.
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

I can't see him hitting enough to stick.  Even allowing for the sensible approach of pairing off his runs saved with his horrible batting, the risk to his confidence of hitting .190 with no power is great when we have a reasonable option - Aviles - to at least start the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Valentine is the perfect manager for Iglesias. They should start Iglesias, and have Valentine prep him to take a lot of pitches and become adept at the sacrifice and the bunt for a hit. Iglesias can be pinch hit for in close games the Red Sox trail late, and be given days off as defensive late innings substitute against the toughest pitching matchups for Iglesias and the better v. SP histories for Avilies and Punto.

Valentine should go with the Youth, as much as possible, and prepare the youth to mature and rise up at season end to provide energy and enthusiasm and compliment the veterans. Worse case, it sets the table for dividends in 2013. Best case, it dovetails late in the season and the team goes on a post season run. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Unless Iggy had an amazing winter of hitting study and work and it bears fruit, magically, this spring, i doubt it.  Not because he would be a black hole in the line-up.  There is plenty of buffer to take on a mendoza-man.  But, if he spends the year getting eaten up by major league pitching, it is likely to bury the kid prematurely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I think that if Aviles or Punto can be considered serviceable during ST, Iglesias will not start.  I am sure that they will keep him in camp and get him as many at bats as possible so that they can get a fair assesment on his batting issues at the big league level and attempt to work them out at the AAA level.  I also think that there is no way he doesn't find his way back to the RS, just not sure when.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Forget about the stick. He'll more than make up for that with double the range as Scoot and double the arm as scoot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias starting?:
    [QUOTE]Forget about the stick. He'll more than make up for that with double the range as Scoot and double the arm as scoot.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Agreed on his value to the 2012 club.  D definitely evens out the O.  But, the issue is with his long-term development.  Rare is the individual who learns how to hit at the major league level.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm not sure Iglesias is starting, I would think not.  However I do think there are a couple scenarios that will automatically give him the nod no matter how he hits. 

If Punto/aviles canno't play the position and/or their offensive production is very low.   Also if the defense isn't adequate and the lineup is just mashing the ball, then I think Bobby-V will put Iglesias in the there.  Lets not forget this kid is still just 21, he may very well mature into a decent bat (decent/good average, gap hitter).

I for one, would not complain if he was the opening day SS. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

Not a chance. The dude couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. And the nonsense that he will make up for his lack of a bat with his glove is laughable at best. Reminds me of harnass' infatuation with tek.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Jose Iglesias starting?:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, I think with Bobby V at the helm, and Iglesias working hard on his plate fundamentals I expect Jose to be our everyday shortstop. Just being optimistic.
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

Nothing to apologize for.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He can't learn to hit big league pitching unless he faces big league pitching. the Red Sox are far too careful in bringing these guys along.....Buchholz is a perfect example.
    Stick him in the line-up. If he has the character to excel, he will excel.
    BTW: He is 2 for 6 against major league pitching!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

as far as I'm concerned he's a .333 mlb hitter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i cant believe people really believe we are going to turn over the most important position in the game to two career hacks...once again, proving that i am....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias starting? : Agreed on his value to the 2012 club.  D definitely evens out the O.  But, the issue is with his long-term development.  Rare is the individual who learns how to hit at the major league level.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Omar Vizquel and Ozzie Smith both had years in the low .200's early in their careers.  Now low .200's might be a stretch for Iglesias at this point but there is some precedent for SS's with ++ defense learning to hit at the ML level.

The Wizard hit .211 in 600 AB's in his 2nd year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias starting? : Since your trolling started this week on these boards, you and your bald head have proven to know very little about sports. Enjoy making yourself look dumb on a continual basis.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Just what I expected out of you, rustytrombone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Exactly. There's no harm, just like with Pedroia in 2007.  It's not like Boston has a thin lineup where there will be pressure on him to produce offensively right away anyway.

Pedey absolutely mashed his way through the minors.  the issue is not that the line-up can't handle having a lack of production from Iglesias.  Its about Iglesias' development.  He has glaring holes in his offensive approach that, if he is thrown to the wolves in the majors, could ruin him.  I say, lets take our time with this kid.  I don't care if he turns into a beast at the plate.  But, ultimately, if he can't ... hack it ... at the plate in the majors, his confidence will be shot, and surely his D will suffer.  Hey, maybe he has has another hot spring and shows better discipline and swing for a month or two at Pawtucket.  Great, Lets bring him up.  But, it doesn't serve anyone, club or Iggy, to bring him up prematurely.  he's 21.  Don't get me wrong:  I am excited for the Iglesias era to begin.  But, I don;t see, other than for the sake of feeding the excitement, the reason to rush him if his bat is still not ready.  Aviles will be a fine placeholder.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias starting? : Just what I expected out of you, rustytrombone.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969[/QUOTE]

You mean the Patriots forum feels the same way. Do we have any feedback from the Bruins, Celtics. or Revolution forums? How about the Music Forum?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias starting? : Fair points.  What about just seeing how he looks in ST? If he looks good, why not just roll into the regular season? If he struggles or fades, just use him as a spot player to see if he works on the hitting approach. I know he's trying to find his way there, but I also want a lock down defense down the middle, because it matters, especially to the pitching staff. I don't know enough about Aviles from a defensive standpoint. I always liked Punto, but I see him more of a role player who can play SS, 3B or 2B if need be just one or twice a week. He's old with lesser range now.

I can get behind that.   If he has a good spring at the plate, why not give him the nod and see how he does.  Sure.  I mean, if it doesn't work, he can always re-tool at Pawtucket and we can call it a second cup o' coffee.  I am all for shoring up the middle too.  I mean, seriously, the thought of Iggy and Pedey up the middle makes me wicked psyched (most common phrase used by Worcester teens).  But, if he struggles at the plate in ST, I just don't think there is any reason to rush him.  Aviles is somewhat of an unknown in his presumptive role as everyday shortstop, but his defense has looked, well, Scutaro-esque, so I would be good with him in the short run.  And his bat is basically slept on.  But, I seriously predict he will be a force to reckon with given an everyday job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias starting? : You mean the Patriots forum feels the same way. Do we have any feedback from the Bruins, Celtics. or Revolution forums? How about the Music Forum?
    Posted by FortMeade[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they feel the same about you there as they do here, pike.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jose Iglesias starting? : I'm sure they feel the same about you there as they do here, pike.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the posters there have read up on the definition of a troll and can comprehend exactly what it means. I am the cop and you are the outlaw / troll.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]i cant believe people really believe we are going to turn over the most important position in the game to two career hacks...once again, proving that i am....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Well I do believe some people might of been being a bit sarcastic, I know I was.  Regardless he is still very very very young.  He still needs to develop, and only time will show what his bat will ultimately produce. 

Sections
Shortcuts