Josh Beckett is expected to make his first start

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Josh Beckett is expected to make his first start

Valentine says he " totally " expects Beckett to start Friday. I have to wonder if this is a ploy or tactic to put pressure on Beckett to suck it up & make the start. I doubt it but the thought crossed my mind.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett is expected to make his first start:
    Valentine says he " totally " expects Beckett to start Friday. I have to wonder if this is a ploy or tactic to put pressure on Beckett to suck it up & make the start. I doubt it but the thought crossed my mind.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

beckett doesn't seem "Drew-like" enough to miss his first start because he has an ouchie on his thumb. If he does miss his start then its because its a serious thumb issue.

BTW nice pic of beckett in the bubble wrap. it made me lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Blisters, bad back, bad thumb....what next?

For a big boy from Texas he sure is fragile!

The coaching staff needs to show video of Schilling playing with blood pouring out of his ankle....but it won't likely do any good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Blisters, bad back, bad thumb....what next? For a big boy from Texas he sure is fragile! The coaching staff needs to show video of Schilling playing with blood pouring out of his ankle....but it won't likely do any good.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

probably not after the crap schill was saying about bobby V and don't forget beckett pitched on a bad ankle last season..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Josh Beckett is expected to make his first start:
    Josh Beckett getting exam but is expected to make his first start
    Posted by 2004Idiots

One thing about MLB and obviously the Sox, you get no info on injuries. You do get double talk. I like NFL approach to kinda listing injured players and their status.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett is expected to make his first start : I like NFL approach to kinda listing injured players and their status I guess you can thank the bookies for that
    Posted by pinstripezac

Bingo! However, it seems that the bookies have their own pipeline regarding injuries. People just are a drop in the bucket with their baseball betting.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Josh Beckett is expected to make his first start : One thing about MLB and obviously the Sox, you get no info on injuries. You do get double talk. I like NFL approach to kinda listing injured players and their status.
    Posted by boboinfla

So, what you're saying is he may have frosbite of the nostrils or lupus for all we know?

These are a couple of excuses that Drew never used.

You know , the media and fans knocked Bill Buckner for years, but you've got to give the guy credit. He had bad ankles but he never gave up. Didn't beg out of playing. Pedro in 2003 didn't want to come out of the game. Sure, he probably should have, Buckner probably should have been on the bench in favor of Stapleton, but as a fan, as a manager, do you really want a guy who doesn't come prepared to give it his all? Don't you love a guy who wants to play even if he's half dead or dog tired?

I'd rather lose with a team of guys who want to play hurt than win with a bunch of whiney, crybabies.

This is why the Bruins teams of the Don Cherry era in the late 70's will always be my favorite sports teams. They sucked it up and even though they were up against a Montreal team that had loads of talent, they gave the Canadiens hell and came so close to beating them. The 1975 Red Sox will always be my favorite Red Sox team. They were HUGE underdogs to the Big Red Machine and gave them the Series of their lives....that Red Sox team, and those Bruins teams may have lost on the scoreboard but they won in my heart.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett is expected to make his first start : So, what you're saying is he may have frosbite of the nostrils or lupus for all we know? These are a couple of excuses that Drew never used. You know , the media and fans knocked Bill Buckner for years, but you've got to give the guy credit. He had bad ankles but he never gave up. Didn't beg out of playing. Pedro in 2003 didn't want to come out of the game. Sure, he probably should have, Buckner probably should have been on the bench in favor of Stapleton, but as a fan, as a manager, do you really want a guy who doesn't come prepared to give it his all? Don't you love a guy who wants to play even if he's half dead or dog tired? I'd rather lose with a team of guys who want to play hurt than win with a bunch of whiney, crybabies. This is why the Bruins teams of the Don Cherry era in the late 70's will always be my favorite sports teams. They sucked it up and even though they were up against a Montreal team that had loads of talent, they gave the Canadiens hell and came so close to beating them. The 1975 Red Sox will always be my favorite Red Sox team. They were HUGE underdogs to the Big Red Machine and gave them the Series of their lives....that Red Sox team, and those Bruins teams may have lost on the scoreboard but they won in my heart.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Lizard King - I agree with you on the Cherry era Bruins...all heart...and heartbreaking....loved them the most as well

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Blisters, bad back, bad thumb....what next? For a big boy from Texas he sure is fragile! The coaching staff needs to show video of Schilling playing with blood pouring out of his ankle....but it won't likely do any good.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

And if he had that injury April 1 instead of the postseason, do you really think Schilling would be out there on the mound? 

And take a look at Schilling's career. He had his fair share of injuries too.

And are you forgetting that Beckett was hurt in the 2008 postseason, yet he still grinded it out for the playoffs.

Felger and Mazz were ripping Beckett on the air today, but I think everyone, at least for now, is making too much of a big deal of it.

On the air, they were complaining that he was getting it checked out now, even after the Sox doctors gave him an OK. Well here's a thought, just to play devil's advocate. Too many would rather knee-jerk rip him instead of taking a step back and seeing another side.

Maybe Beckett doesn't think it's a big deal either, which is why he didn't get it looked at earlier. Maybe he figured he'd get his work in, get ready for the season, and this week, with it still lingering, he thought it was a good time to get away just for peace of mind, without losing any prep time getting ready for the season.

He hasn't missed any starts yet and he's getting ripped -- ridiculous.

And I can understand why pitchers are hypochondriacs. Baseball history is littered with the carcuses of pitchers' careers that were cut short by injury -- greats like Koufax, potential greats like Mark Fydrich (sp?), guys who had one or two great years that you never heard of because in all likelihood, they had an injury cut short their careers.

When there is the potential of making more than $10 million a year -- in Beckett's case, $16M -- I can understand why pitchers are hypochondriacs.

Sections
Shortcuts