Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame:

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do.":
    no one is questioning his days off Kim, what they are questioning is his cavaliar attitude of playing golf when he is too injured to start...beckett knows that, you know that, and this is what makes people angry....stop the bootlicking please and just cut ties with this azzhat
    Posted by georom4

Thank you georom4.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do.":
    In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do." : He wasn't too injured to start.  Management took that precaution, skipping a start, because he reported pain.  He said he had the pain, which he did not report, before the game, then threw 126 pitches, his most ever.  Smart precaution.  But playing golf is hardly risky behaviour with that particular pain.  He in fact threw with no pain the day after the golf.  Last night was a pretty terrible start, no question.  But it was unrelated to the day of golf and might have been related to missing a start.  After the game, Beckett in no way tried to excuse his pitching and complimented the bullpen, the defense, and the lineup.  He took full responsbility for what happened. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Great.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."

Poor josh only gets 2 1/2 weeks off during a 6 month season waahh he seemed to forgrt the off season he doesnt work either! Poor josh has it rough being a major league baseball player lets go easy on him. What an arrogant dooosh

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Right now, I'd take Lackey over Beckett. At least he tries to compete and wants to win. I don't think Beckett cares.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

no one is questioning his days off Kim, what they are questioning is his cavaliar attitude of playing golf when he is too injured to start...beckett knows that, you know that, and this is what makes people angry....stop the bootlicking please and just cut ties with this azzhat
    Posted by georom4

Thank you georom. You are correct. Enough with the excuses for this guy. He just doesn't seem to care about his performance. I'm not sure what we can get for him in a trade, but it is time for him to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

You know things are bad when Red Sox Nation and the FO think that adding ANOTHER 4 inning / 100 pitch starter to the rotation will be a welcome sight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont consider a 17mm per year pitcher who can only get mostly "quality starts" elite..He should be going 7+ innings a game and have a handful of CG's IMO..now that is elite..Every now and then I expect a clunker though...They are paying him like an elite pitcher, but IMO he is not elite..elite is Verlander or Felix or Halladay...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Whoa, what the heck?  Who is calling Josh Beckett ELITE?  Well, he's an elitist but he's no elite pitcher.

Even last year when he has a low ERA through July, he was getting by mostly w/ junk.  The hitters adjusted to him w/o the "elite stuff" and took him for a ride.  That trend started in August.  He was crushed in September.  And here we are in 2012 - same poor "stuff" and poor results.  And can not emphasize this enough:  he has not been an effective pitcher beyond August 1st since 2007......To me, that says it all......."Elite"?  Wow.  Gets better each day.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

He's gotta go.  Destroying the Red Sox brand. That is something even John Henry will understand.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

Thank you. Was waiting for someone to bring that up. Even more than the brand, he is destroying the culture. Any sense of "team" that existed in the culture he is trying his best to evicerate, in favor of that special brand of Texas "Meism". (See also, Lackey). Really, Beck, with as much as you have contributed to the malaise of this team, all you can say to the stupidity/selfishness of playing golf when you should be rehabing is "on my time off, I do what I want"?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do." : Wrong! elite year, hahahahahahhahahaha! Ankle, thumb, lat, pinky toe, tummy, left nostril. Royf your stats mean nothing, it is all about perception and mine is dead on. Even Schilling said the same thing, the numbers are hollow. It is much like the offense, you know the league leading offense two years running. Why then do we find ourselves losing so often when we score only 2 or 3 runs? The stats state we average 5.4 runs a game... how can that be? Feast or famine... the stats do not show the Feast or Famine stat do they?
    Posted by EnchiladaT

Glad someone else understand the Feast or Famine phenomenon. Winning 14-5 means absolutely nothing more than a W and only contributes to a statistical distortion that fools the uninitiated. The Sox have definitively been a Feast or Famine team over the last few years, and it is not serving them well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Poor josh only gets 2 1/2 weeks off during a 6 month season waahh he seemed to forgrt the off season he doesnt work either! Poor josh has it rough being a major league baseball player lets go easy on him. What an arrogant dooosh
    Posted by fourrings

That was my first thought as well.  My second thought was I wonder how he might like to trade places with anyone with a real job, who has to work a full year, to make what he makes in one game?

I usually don't pay much attention to what ball players say because obviously most are not Mensa members. But Beckett's thoughtless comment does deserve the obvious resonse: None of us give a hoot what you do with any of your days off.  Just do your job when your working!!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I agree about the days off. I've never seen so much attention being given to players while they aren't working on any other team. The same people who didn't like Beckett last season aren't going to like him this season, and the constant scrutiny is not going to make him a better pitcher. If this is going to be a JD Drew situation where everyone feels like a player doesn't actually want to win and doesn't try his best every time (LMAO), then he should be traded. No one should be treated like that. Players don't devote themselves to baseball and just come to every game hoping to ruin their career, and change their stats for the worst every season. I'm amazed at the lack of compassion.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Are you actually trying to miss the point, or sound like a complete homer?  I guess BOTH.

Becky missed HER start because SHE SAID HER LAT HURT!

SHE DECIDES TO GO GOLFING WHEN SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE HURT.

SO NOW WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO NOTICE?? 

WHAT'S YOUR GAME?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

WAKKKKEEEE WHERE ARE YOU?????????????

At least you know he wants to win.  And he'll give you more than 4-5 innings.

Time to come out of retirement....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

How can you possibly MISS THE POINT that she MISSED HER START because she said she was hurt????

HOW???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do." : Bash him if you want -- there are legitimate reasons -- but this is patently untrue. Last year until his last two starts, Beckett was having an elite year. He went six innings or more in 26 of 30 starts. Of the four times he didn't, once was a 4.1 IP, 0 ER game when it was called because of rain. The other was a 3.2 IP, 0 ER game when he injured his ankle. He also went into the seventh inning in 14 starts and led the Sox in innings and innings per start. He had ND -- 8 IP, 2 ER, 7 IP, 0 ER, 8 IP, 0 ER. Those by any reasonable analysis, that's three more wins he should have had. Plus he had 6 IP, 1 ER, 6 IP, 2 ER and 6 IP, 1 ER, which certainly is strong enough for a win.
    Posted by royf19

Well.. he's not doing it anymore isn't he?  Instead he's doing 18 holes without getting his ankle injured or stopped by the rain..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do." : Since 2007: 2008  12-10  4.03 2009  17-6    3.86 2010  6-6      5.78 2011  13-7    2.89 2012   2-4     5.97 Defending him as you wish, but are those 'ace' numbers?
    Posted by ADG

Maybe he's good in odd number years.  He was good in 2009 and 2011 but awful in 2008, 2010, and 2012.  Maybe we should keep him for next year...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do." : He wasn't too injured to start.  Management took that precaution, skipping a start, because he reported pain.  He said he had the pain, which he did not report, before the game, then threw 126 pitches, his most ever.  Smart precaution.  But playing golf is hardly risky behaviour with that particular pain.  He in fact threw with no pain the day after the golf.  Last night was a pretty terrible start, no question.  But it was unrelated to the day of golf and might have been related to missing a start.  After the game, Beckett in no way tried to excuse his pitching and complimented the bullpen, the defense, and the lineup.  He took full responsbility for what happened. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Good post, but don't expect most posters to agree with you. Count me as one who does agree with you.

Sections
Shortcuts