Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."

Enough said. Look for a team to take this guy. He doesn't care.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."

Clearly, if sadly true.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."

This is where I began to question Beckett, after all the previosu years where he went from a 3.00 era to a 5.00 era back to a 3.00 era year in and year out. His low era last summer was very misleading, there is a reason he only won 13 games last year and yet had a good era. He never finshed a game and was gone by 6 most times.

stomach bug bites Beckett

RED SOX NOTEBOOK

His start pushed back to Saturday

June 22, 2011|By Peter AbrahamGlobe Staff
      • ShareThisNew
      • Print

There will come a time in the heat of the pennant race when the Red Sox will lean on Josh Beckett and their other starting pitchers. But for now, vacation days are plentiful.

Beckett was scheduled to start against the Padres last night before a stomach bug changed that plan. He will not pitch until Saturday in Pittsburgh.

That will give him nine days between starts, plenty of time to make sure he feels better and to rest his valuable right arm.

Beckett looked “just OK’’ yesterday, according to Terry Francona.

“We think it was necessary, what we did,’’ said the manager. “He doesn’t look that good.’’

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Combine that with bobby v.'s post game comment, "maybe he just had too much time off?" Therefore, DEFINING IRONY!!!!

This season is becoming a cruel Seinfeld episode of the bizzaro world.

Beckett, "It's my business what I do on MY DAY OFF."  Forget about the fact that it was 2 days before the start I'm missing do to my SELF PROCLAIMED, turmped up "injury!!!!"

How about the absolute SACKLESS sports reporters in that post game press conference who were either too stupid or too cowed by the "Texas Toughguy" to follow up with the OBVIOUS QUESTION............ "but wasn't it an OFF DAY right before the start you were missing BECAUSE YOU HAD COMPLAINED ABOUT SHOULDER SORENESS!"

Now I'm torn..... I don't know who's more pathetic, Beckett or those "sports reporters?"

Are you freaking kidding me???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

* read above, don't ignore it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do.":
    * read above, don't ignore it
    Posted by EnchiladaT

As though anybody had forgotten???  Only the bootlickers & chronic apologists!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

"It seems like that [expletive] flu gets me every year," he said after losing, 5-0, toCliff Lee and the Philadelphia Phillies on Tuesday night. "If it doesn't get me in the offseason, it gets me in spring training or gets me some other time. I'm going to have somebody give it to me in the offseason so I don't have to deal with this [expletive] anymore." from ESPN

He missed TWO starts last summer because of the flu... it was only the beginning.

One Sprain, No Gain: Sox Lose On Lawrie's Walkoff, Beckett Hurts ...

5 Sep 2011 – Brett Lawrie walked off, and Josh Beckett hurt his ankle. It's not been a good day for Boston.

So it it isn't the stomach, or the thumb, or the ankle, it is mild spasms in the back.

"He's on the 15-day DL and will be back in no time," turned into, "Nope, it's the 60-day DL, and we don't know exactly when he'll be back." 2010 SI

Beckett of course hurt his back while swinging in preparation for interleague play where he’d be forced to hit. Now if this isn’t downright pathetic, I’m not quite sure what is. When you play baseball at a professional level, you should have a certain level of athleticism.  2009 Larry Brown Sports.com

Josh Beckett Battles (FLU) Illness, Pirates in Spring Training Performance by Tony Lee on Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:51PM Comments () inShare 19 After four days lying in bed, Josh Beckett was just fine with the ugly line. In his first start in 11 days, Beckett labored through 3 1/3 innings on a windy day in Brazelton, where the Pirates hit him hard in a 9-7 win over the Red Sox.

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2010/03/josh-beckett-battles-illness-pirates-in-spring-training-performance.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do.":
    "It seems like that [expletive] flu gets me every year," he said after losing, 5-0, to Cliff Lee  and the  Philadelphia Phillies  on Tuesday night. "If it doesn't get me in the offseason, it gets me in spring training or gets me some other time. I'm going to have somebody give it to me in the offseason so I don't have to deal with this [expletive] anymore." from ESPN He missed TWO starts last summer because of the flu... it was only the beginning. One Sprain, No Gain: Sox Lose On Lawrie's Walkoff,  Beckett Hurts   ... www.overthemonster.com/.../red-sox-score-game-josh- beckett -injury 5 Sep 2011 –  Brett Lawrie walked off, and Josh  Beckett hurt  his ankle . It's not been a good day for Boston. So it it isn't the stomach, or the thumb, or the ankle, it is mild spasms in the back. "He's on the 15-day DL and will be back in no time," turned into, "Nope, it's the 60-day DL , and we don't know exactly when he'll be back." 2010 SI Beckett of course hurt his back while swinging in preparation for interleague play where he’d be forced to hit. Now if this isn’t downright pathetic , I’m not quite sure what is. When you play baseball at a professional level, you should have a certain level of athleticism.  2009 Larry Brown Sports.com
    Posted by EnchiladaT

Beckett must go!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

* read above, don't ignore it. I am not even trying to find this stuff that is how much of it there is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He is the epitome of the entitled athlete. I have zero respect for this guy and it has nothing to do w/ his era or whip. He doesn't realize what an absolute privilege it is to play in MLB. He has no appreciation what it costs a family to go and see him play at Fenway. I've been to quite a few Sox gm's and I've never seen that guy sign an autograph, not one. When he goes to the mound I'll always cheer him on cause I cheer for the laundry but the day he leaves I'll help him pack his ride.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

He's gotta go.  Destroying the Red Sox brand.

That is something even John Henry will understand.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This is where I began to question Beckett, after all the previosu years where he went from a 3.00 era to a 5.00 era back to a 3.00 era year in and year out. His low era last summer was very misleading, there is a reason he only won 13 games last year and yet had a good era. He never finshed a game and was gone by 6 most times. stomach bug bites Beckett RED SOX NOTEBOOK His start pushed back to Saturday June 22, 2011 | By Peter Abraham ,  Globe Staff ShareThis New E-mail Print There will come a time in the heat of the pennant race when the Red Sox will lean on  Josh Beckett  and their other starting pitchers. But for now, vacation days are plentiful . Beckett was scheduled to start against the Padres last night before a stomach bug changed that plan. He will not pitch until Saturday in Pittsburgh. That will give him nine days between starts , plenty of time to make sure he feels better and to rest his valuable right arm. Beckett looked “just OK’’ yesterday, according to  Terry Francona . “We think it was necessary, what we did,’’ said the manager. “He doesn’t look that good.’’
    Posted by EnchiladaT

Bash him if you want -- there are legitimate reasons -- but this is patently untrue. Last year until his last two starts, Beckett was having an elite year. He went six innings or more in 26 of 30 starts. Of the four times he didn't, once was a 4.1 IP, 0 ER game when it was called because of rain. The other was a 3.2 IP, 0 ER game when he injured his ankle.

He also went into the seventh inning in 14 starts and led the Sox in innings and innings per start.

He had ND -- 8 IP, 2 ER, 7 IP, 0 ER, 8 IP, 0 ER. Those by any reasonable analysis, that's three more wins he should have had.

Plus he had 6 IP, 1 ER, 6 IP, 2 ER and 6 IP, 1 ER, which certainly is strong enough for a win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The guy is killing the team - he is as bad as Carlos Zambrano was in Chicago.  A total headcase.

The Red Sox have to dump beckett before june 1st or the season is officially over. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do." : Bash him if you want -- there are legitimate reasons -- but this is patently untrue. Last year until his last two starts, Beckett was having an elite year. He went six innings or more in 26 of 30 starts. Of the four times he didn't, once was a 4.1 IP, 0 ER game when it was called because of rain. The other was a 3.2 IP, 0 ER game when he injured his ankle. He also went into the seventh inning in 14 starts and led the Sox in innings and innings per start. He had ND -- 8 IP, 2 ER, 7 IP, 0 ER, 8 IP, 0 ER. Those by any reasonable analysis, that's three more wins he should have had. Plus he had 6 IP, 1 ER, 6 IP, 2 ER and 6 IP, 1 ER, which certainly is strong enough for a win.
    Posted by royf19

Wrong! elite year, hahahahahahhahahaha! Ankle, thumb, lat, pinky toe, tummy, left nostril.

Royf your stats mean nothing, it is all about perception and mine is dead on. Even Schilling said the same thing, the numbers are hollow.

It is much like the offense, you know the league leading offense two years running. Why then do we find ourselves losing so often when we score only 2 or 3 runs? The stats state we average 5.4 runs a game... how can that be?

Feast or famine... the stats do not show the Feast or Famine stat do they?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Pitchers in general are far too pampered these days but Beckett or better named Buckett doesn't want to play at all.

Trade him now to anyone and pay most of his salary.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He can take his act someplace else! He is right though it's his time off so he should be able to play golf if that's what he wants to do,it surely beats him hanging around the clubhouse swilling beer and knawing down some freshly deep fried Popeye's chicken and chillin with his two buds Lester and Buchholz (I omitted the other Texass ringleader Lackey as he's stuck in Maine rehabbing). Too bad Josh has lost his way! Bring up Matt Barnes and Anthony Ranaudo and start the healing process immediately,maybe Theo would take Beckett for Garza...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do." : Bash him if you want -- there are legitimate reasons -- but this is patently untrue. Last year until his last two starts, Beckett was having an elite year. He went six innings or more in 26 of 30 starts. Of the four times he didn't, once was a 4.1 IP, 0 ER game when it was called because of rain. The other was a 3.2 IP, 0 ER game when he injured his ankle. He also went into the seventh inning in 14 starts and led the Sox in innings and innings per start. He had ND -- 8 IP, 2 ER, 7 IP, 0 ER, 8 IP, 0 ER. Those by any reasonable analysis, that's three more wins he should have had. Plus he had 6 IP, 1 ER, 6 IP, 2 ER and 6 IP, 1 ER, which certainly is strong enough for a win.
    Posted by royf19

Elite, no. Verlander was elite.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Spoiled brat fans know nothing !!!! They will not trade ,dfa or cut him DEAL WITH IT !!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

If they would get anything back for him I think they would have traded him all the way back at the begining of the offseason in a heartbeat. Unfortunately nobody would have offered a deal worth it. What really bugs me, is what appears to be apathy. At least in those first few back and forth years he would look frustrated when things went wrong. Now I don't know if he really was, or he was just good at acting, but now he's not even faking it. After the whole beer and chicken debacle he had to deal with, I figured he would have come flying out the gate this season with at least an F you all I'll show you attitude, even if the results weren't there. Instead he just looks bored.
    This might be the time to attempt one of those crazy trades everyone was thinking up for Lackey in the offseason before the TJ announcement. Maybe Beckett is just too comfortable in Boston and could use a change of scenery. Maybe there's someone on another squad who is a "bad contract" now, but still has some in the tank given a spark. If folks thought they might be worthwhile with Lackey, they'd have to be just as possible with Beckett as he definitely still has the stuff...if he ever wants to use it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I agree about the days off. I've never seen so much attention being given to players while they aren't working on any other team.

The same people who didn't like Beckett last season aren't going to like him this season, and the constant scrutiny is not going to make him a better pitcher. If this is going to be a JD Drew situation where everyone feels like a player doesn't actually want to win and doesn't try his best every time (LMAO), then he should be traded. No one should be treated like that.

Players don't devote themselves to baseball and just come to every game hoping to ruin their career, and change their stats for the worst every season. I'm amazed at the lack of compassion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

no one is questioning his days off Kim, what they are questioning is his cavaliar attitude of playing golf when he is too injured to start...beckett knows that, you know that, and this is what makes people angry....stop the bootlicking please and just cut ties with this azzhat

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

no one is questioning his days off Kim, what they are questioning is his cavaliar attitude of playing golf when he is too injured to start...beckett knows that, you know that, and this is what makes people angry....stop the bootlicking please and just cut ties with this azzhat
    Posted by georom4

He wasn't too injured to start.  Management took that precaution, skipping a start, because he reported pain.  He said he had the pain, which he did not report, before the game, then threw 126 pitches, his most ever.  Smart precaution.  But playing golf is hardly risky behaviour with that particular pain. 
    He in fact threw with no pain the day after the golf. 

Last night was a pretty terrible start, no question.  But it was unrelated to the day of golf and might have been related to missing a start.  After the game, Beckett in no way tried to excuse his pitching and complimented the bullpen, the defense, and the lineup.  He took full responsbility for what happened. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

In response to "Re: Josh Beckett on Postgame: " I have 18 days off. I can do what I want to do."":
    He's gotta go.  Destroying the Red Sox brand. That is something even John Henry will understand. Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost
    Agreed, how's about Becket and Youkalis for Bronson Arroyo of the reds,arroyo said he would welcome a move back to Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by royf19

Since 2007:

2008  12-10  4.03
    2009  17-6    3.86
    2010  6-6      5.78
    2011  13-7    2.89
    2012   2-4     5.97

Defending him as you wish, but are those 'ace' numbers?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I agree about the days off. I've never seen so much attention being given to players while they aren't working on any other team. The same people who didn't like Beckett last season aren't going to like him this season, and the constant scrutiny is not going to make him a better pitcher. If this is going to be a JD Drew situation where everyone feels like a player doesn't actually want to win and doesn't try his best every time (LMAO), then he should be traded. No one should be treated like that. Players don't devote themselves to baseball and just come to every game hoping to ruin their career, and change their stats for the worst every season. I'm amazed at the lack of compassion.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Do you follow every team? Every player that skips a start and then plays golf? Making $16M a year and not pitching like an ace? Making bad decisions? Are fans allowed to scrutinize players when they are making $16M and the fans are shelling out $100 a ticket for a good product?  Your comment about the lack of compassion is hysterical.

Did Beckett show commitment last September?
    Last spring training when he was way overweight?

Comical.

Sections
Shortcuts