JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR".......

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR".......

Send him Back to Texas:

Sign CJ Wilson first to replace Beckett as the number 2 starter

to Houston for Carlos Lee and Wandy Rodriguez--gives us a pretty good DH and a starting pitcher perhaps a #4 or #5.

or to the Rangers for Colby Lewis, Feldman or Feliz and a prospect.

or to the Nationals, who seem to be in a spending mode, for a 4 or 5 starter and a prospect.

or to the Angels for Santana and a prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why you want to trade Beckett where you still need two more starting pitchers for the Boston's starting rotation.  CJ Wilson have pitched terrible in the post season.  He seemed that he pitch like he is the #5 pitcher for the Texas Rangers team!!
    Plus, he is going to cost too much money, and Boston is going to regret again for the many times for over-paying a players.  See Crawford, Lackey, Lugo, Drew, Dice K, etc!!

Better off to sign a pitcher who is willing to accept less than 3 years contract.  

Rotation should be Beckett, Bucholtz, Lester, FA #4 (or via trade), FA #5, and sixth could go to Wieland or Droubmont!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The current roster was leading the AL in wins and headed for 100 wins at the end of August with just a month to go.  Dismantling that roster would be a huge mistake.  Beckett was the best starter on the Sox this year and would be very difficult to replace.  You can bet he will not only be in shape come spring, but that he will maintain that conditioning throughout the 2012 season.

The Sox need to keep three starters--Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz--and look for at least 2 more from within or outside the Sox system.  Second priority will likely be the bullpen under the assumption Papelbon will go elsewhere. 

Last priority should be a rightfielder or any other lineup change (not re-signing Ortiz, moving Youk to DH, etc).  The lineup led MLB this year in runs scored and OPS. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Oh no, CJ Wilson at the age of 30 is the most amazing free agent pitcher ever... I mean look at all those 20 win seasons, lol. Typical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

In Response to Re: JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR".......:
    [QUOTE]Oh no, CJ Wilson at the age of 30 is the most amazing free agent pitcher ever... I mean look at all those 20 win seasons, lol. Typical.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. The guy has been a starter for what 2 seasons now??? I dont see the hype here at all... Lackey all over again....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hey for a #3 or #4 starters salary then why not... but like Lackey he will be paid as a #1 or 2 due to the poor free agent pitchers market.

All the armchair gm's here fall for the same trap year in and year out... have to have whoever is best available not necessarily best for the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I should have predicated my comment for moving Beckett with Bill 806's--"The clubhouse is contaminated", "...needs to be purged."

Yes if something needs to be done with Beckett and what control do you have over him and his new contract--you trade him and hope he likes the new environment enough to work at his trade. If you trade him to his home state of Texas hopefully his pride will kick in--in Boston the fans will not be happy unless he reports and pitches like a man possessed; which he should for the money he is being paid.

So what do you do posters favoring Beckett's retention, you solve the Beckett dilema--you come up with a solution--CJ might just be the one of three large pitching contract signings that might work. 

My favorite solution would be to bring our own Wilson, Alex, up from AAA and have him learn on the job. If he doesn't work out after 5  starts bring the next candidate up for five starts. By mid season perhaps Rinaudo shows enough at AA Portlandto get an audition.

Ben C. have a talk with Beckett and his agent --if that doesn't work--out he goes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Beckett knows that he messed up.  He's done well here in the past and can do well in the future.  I think he comes back with something to prove.

Besides, they have enough holes in the rotation without giving away a potential ace.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

DWL---I thought Beckett was suppose to be the "Ace." He's paid like as Ace but he's acting like anything but---with the clubhouse nonsense and ceasing his workout regime that doesn't make me want to keep him. 

I would hate to lose him primarily because it will be hard to find someone that can beat the Yankees consistently or keep the Sox in games against the Yankees.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR".......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR"....... : UCONN .....  WHY ? YOU ASK WHY ????  WELL HERE IS THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER. (CAN YOU TAKE THE TRUTH ??)   THE CLUBHOUSE IS CONTAMINATED AND "THE WILL TO WIN" HAS ERODED..... SO WHAT DO YOU DO ?? IT'S OBVIOUS THAT "TRANSFORMATION" NEEDS TO BEGIN TO "PURGE" THE BAD BOY$ OF THE ENTITLED GROUP !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

He made a mistake, and give him a chance.  

Look at Josh Hamilton who was drafted by the Rays as one of the most prized draft player ever drafted by the Rays.  Since Rays gave him a way, and now he is one of the better all around player for the Rangers.  Rays regretted letting him go.  

There are teams that have few bumps on the roster, and the team fixed it and got better afterward.

Beckett will turn himself around and be one of the better pitcher on the team for next season.

We all already know who is Josh Beckett, and we all know that he is a better pitcher than half of these current free agents.  

CJ Wilson will struggles if he come to Boston.  I ll guarantee you that!!  He may pitch better for the Yankees than Boston cuz of Fenway Park!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Beckett was gone by the 7th inning most games, how else does a pitcher on a MLB best offensive team end up with only 13 wins. An Ace goes 7+ and can throw 225+ innings.... he was a soft Ace, and I like him a lot but I have to be honest with myself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett was gone by the 7th inning most games, how else does a pitcher on a MLB best offensive team end up with only 13 wins.

The answer to the question about the 13 wins is 'bad luck, as in lack of run support from the best offensive team'.  In Beckett's starts the Sox only averaged 3.87 runs and in 24 of his 30 starts they scored 4 runs or fewer.

On the innings, he averaged 6.43 innings per start so on average he got into the 7th inning. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett was gone by the 7th inning most games, how else does a pitcher on a MLB best offensive team end up with only 13 wins. An Ace goes 7+ and can throw 225+ innings.... he was a soft Ace, and I like him a lot but I have to be honest with myself.
    Good point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR"....... : The answer to the question about the 13 wins is 'bad luck, as in lack of run support from the best offensive team'.  In Beckett's starts the Sox only averaged 3.87 runs and in 24 of his 30 starts they scored 4 runs or fewer. On the innings, he averaged 6.43 innings per start so on average he got into the 7th inning. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Great points. It's also worth nothing that he pitched almost two more innings than Lester despite having one less start. 

Also, he pitched into the seventh inning 14 times and completed seven or more innings 13 times. He also completed six innings, w/o going further, 11 times.

By comparison, Lester, with one more start, pitched into the seventh inning and completed seven or more innings 12 times. He also completed six innings, w/o going further, 10 times.

So Beckett was a bit more of a workhorse than Lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR".......:
    [QUOTE]  LET' START THE TRANSFORMATION OF THIS ROSTER WITH A TRADE OF THE "OVERRATED,OVERPAID, AND OVERLY OVERWEIGHT  JOSH BECKETT !!!   G M BEN, "TRANSFORM" THAT ROSTER, PLEASE !!!!

Bill, stay out of the front office. We need clear, rational heads making decisions, not reactionaries. 

Yes, he and others made some mistakes, but it's also clear that some of what happened off the field have been overblown. Beyond that, I would bet after what happened this year, I'd bet he'll probably be one of the best workers next year. Players do have some professional pride. Just because some bad habits got out of control, it doesn't mean that he or others are bad people.

Immature doesn't equate to bad human beings. So how about taking a breath and keep something of an open mind in regard to a player's ability and willingness to make ammends.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR"....... : UCONN .....  WHY ? YOU ASK WHY ????  WELL HERE IS THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER. (CAN YOU TAKE THE TRUTH ??)   THE CLUBHOUSE IS CONTAMINATED AND "THE WILL TO WIN" HAS ERODED..... SO WHAT DO YOU DO ?? IT'S OBVIOUS THAT "TRANSFORMATION" NEEDS TO BEGIN TO "PURGE" THE BAD BOY$ OF THE ENTITLED GROUP !!!

The clubhouse is contaminated?? And you know this how? The will to win has eroded and you know this how??  You only know what rumors are out there and to make statements like you do is ridiculous .........and trade Beckett?  for who genius?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Beckett is a bum!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have to agree completely with BILL806, not only because he is my friend, but because he makes a great case.

Beckett pitched well ( not great) in 2009. Good enough to get an extension, then went right back to the so-so pitcher he was in 2008 (12-10...4.03 ERA).

Too many of these "fat cats" are playing for the money. Beckett has two rings and he earned them both ( one with Florida), he seems satisfied with that. Let's bring in someone hungrier ( not for fried chicken, beer and cupcakes!) someone who wants to win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The current roster was leading the AL in wins and headed for 100 wins at the end of August with just a month to go.  Dismantling that roster would be a huge mistake.  Beckett was the best starter on the Sox this year and would be very difficult to replace.  You can bet he will not only be in shape come spring, but that he will maintain that conditioning throughout the 2012 season. The Sox need to keep three starters--Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz--and look for at least 2 more from within or outside the Sox system.  Second priority will likely be the bullpen under the assumption Papelbon will go elsewhere.  Last priority should be a rightfielder or any other lineup change (not re-signing Ortiz, moving Youk to DH, etc).  The lineup led MLB this year in runs scored and OPS. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of your suggestions especially about the starting pitching.  I do believe that resigning Papelbon should be a top priority and that he would be difficult to replace.  I am not opposed to resigning Ortiz, but don't feel that is necessary. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JOSH BECKETT, THE POSTER BOY FOR CHANGE. "LET ME BE CLEAR"....... : OVERBLOWN ??  YA GOT THAT RIGHT.... I WOULD SAY ABOUT  20 LB'S  OVERBLOWN !!!!  AS FAR AS THE FRONT OFFICE GOES, YOU WANT ME IN THE F O, YOU NEED ME IN THE  F O , I WILL STAND THE POST FOR RED SOX NATION !!!!

Stay out of the front office. You're too passionate to make rational decisions all the time. However, I'd love to have you in the clubhouse. I want Beckett back because I feel he's a strong pitcher and strong pitchers are hard to find. But I wouldn't mind you being around to crack the whip on him if he or others get out of line.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I have to agree completely with BILL806, not only because he is my friend, but because he makes a great case. Beckett pitched well ( not great) in 2009. Good enough to get an extension, then went right back to the so-so pitcher he was in 2008 (12-10...4.03 ERA). Too many of these "fat cats" are playing for the money. Beckett has two rings and he earned them both ( one with Florida), he seems satisfied with that. Let's bring in someone hungrier ( not for fried chicken, beer and cupcakes!) someone who wants to win.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  
    Terry gave no support to Ellsbury and, by implication, agreed with Youk's assertion that an immobilized player should still be on the bench -- or in Fort Meyers ( doing what, for goodness sake? ). Yet Terry did not insist -- yes, insist -- that his pitchers stay on the bench to support their teammates and, not incidentally, to observe opposing batsmen, instead of lounging in the clubhouse and turning themselves into Pillsbury Doughboys.  Not a peep from Youk.
    Beckett did not finish strong in 2009 or in 2011. He has done that only once, in 2007. 
    The Sox need pitchers who can stay the course.

Sections
Shortcuts