Josh Fields-Not on the 40 man roster??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Josh Fields-Not on the 40 man roster??

Now this guy may never make it because not all guys with good stats in the minor make a major league roster, but last year he struck out almost a batter and a half per inning.  He is  27 years old so he is not really a young prospect at this time, but that is a lot of strikeouts per inning in the upper minors.

It seems that these are the types of guys who make major contributions to someone's bullpens every year.  Unfortunately, somewhere else besides Boston.   St. Louis, San Diego and Arizona seem to make successul relievers out of these kinds of guys every year.

I will not be surprised to see Fields get taken in the rule 5 draft and end up in the middle of a bullpen at the major league level and make a real nice contribution.   Then we can hear that he "was in the Red Sox organization last year".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Josh Fields-Not on the 40 man roster??

Whoever barely made on the 40 man roster are more likely never will be an every day starter in the future.  

So there were like 12 borderline players, Ben C. had to picked six of them to fill up the 40 man roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now this guy may never make it because not all guys with good stats in the minor make a major league roster, but last year he struck out almost a batter and a half per inning.  He is  27 years old so he is not really a young prospect at this time, but that is a lot of strikeouts per inning in the upper minors.

It seems that these are the types of guys who make major contributions to someone's bullpens every year.  Unfortunately, somewhere else besides Boston.   St. Louis, San Diego and Arizona seem to make successul relievers out of these kinds of guys every year.

I will not be surprised to see Fields get taken in the rule 5 draft and end up in the middle of a bullpen at the major league level and make a real nice contribution.   Then we can hear that he "was in the Red Sox organization last year".

[/QUOTE]

The sox mngt. has ten days to decide on these 6 players to trade release or put them on waivers. I am not worry about the 40 man roster still more changes before spring training.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Fields looked good while here in the Sox organization. he should land a job somewhere.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just looked at his stats and didnt realize his WHIP was so low...Someone will def snag him up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I saw him pitch in Portland a bunch. He has nasty stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am sure there will be second guessing on the roster selections.  Fields seems like a guy you would want to protect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We do also.  Atchison, Miller, Mortensen, Albers, and Hill were acquired for very little and combined for an ERA of ~ 2.60-2.70.  I like Fields as well, but maybe they feel comfortable with the back end of the BP.  There is not unlimited space on the 40-man roster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am sure there will be second guessing on the roster selections.  Fields seems like a guy you would want to protect.

[/QUOTE]

I wished we'd have been able to keep Michael Olmsted as well. But I guess you can't hold on to all of these type of guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Talent evaluation is an important part of a G.M.'s job.  Time will tell if the right decisions were made. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While stats do not always show the true picture, and Josh will turn 28 next season, I think it was probably a mistake not to protect this pitcher.

As I have been saying since last spring, we should have made a 2 or 3 for one deal to strengthen our quality and at the same time lessen our quantity in order to prevent this type of thing from happening.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wished we'd have been able to keep Michael Olmsted as well. But I guess you can't hold on to all of these type of guys.

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly we can have only so many on the roster and there will be a few good ones that will have to be left unprotected. Olmstead and Fields seem pretty good. But we are talking about relief pitchers which are a crapshoot from year to year anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Unfortunately for Fields, the Sox have a deep bullpen and he was the victim of the numbers game.  It is entirely possible that he ends up back with the Sox, because even though the odds are high that he gets claimed, the odds are equally low that he sticks on the major league roster of any club for the entire year, in which case he must be offered back.  I hope the Sox will bring him back if that indeed happens.  Some pitchers bloom later than others, and his arm has ML stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Fields, the Sox have a deep bullpen and he was the victim of the numbers game.  It is entirely possible that he ends up back with the Sox, because even though the odds are high that he gets claimed, the odds are equally low that he sticks on the major league roster of any club for the entire year, in which case he must be offered back.  I hope the Sox will bring him back if that indeed happens.  Some pitchers bloom later than others, and his arm has ML stuff.

[/QUOTE]

I think thats the though with a few of these guys being left unprotected. they have tpo stay with the MLB club or offered back. I think they believe some will not be taken for that very reason or at least a good chance of returning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many teams have no pitching depth and will "gobble up" (Happy Thanksgiving) guys like Fields.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd a lot rather have seen him on the 40 man than Stolmy Pimentel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think thats the though with a few of these guys being left unprotected. they have tpo stay with the MLB club or offered back. I think they believe some will not be taken for that very reason or at least a good chance of returning.

Here is a September update on last year's Rule 5 draft picks:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/09/update-on-this-years-rule-5-draft-picks.html

Seattle's Lucas Luetge, a lefthanded reliever, was probably the most productive of the bunch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Boston should get picked off quite a bit this year...Lots of potential.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Have we ver lsot or gained a good player via rule 5?

Wasn't del carmen obtained rule 5? or was it "way back" wasdin?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Andrew Miller was a rule 5 I believe. I think Del Carmen was a Red Sox draft pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Andrew Miller was a rule 5 I believe. I think Del Carmen was a Red Sox draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

You are right about delcamen, but I think we signed Miller as a minor league FA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The guy I was thinking of was Lenny Dinardo.

We also got Adam Stern via rule 5.

Javier Lopez (traded)

Vaughn Eshelman

Reggie Harris among others...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We lost Cecil Cooper in 1970 to STL in the rule 5 draft, but he was returned.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's 100 times less than you.

Sections
Shortcuts