contender next year. A  combination of speed power and character the

pitchers will be much better witht his manager. a minor league system

that is bursting with talent. Go for it Ben. With De la Rosa Barnes Webster

so many good young prospects all my years as a sox fan i never remember

sothis much talent. Hamilton had all of New york drooling couple of years

ago at all star game. SIGN HIM BEN 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Josh Hamilton will make Red Sox contenders

Offense is fine. I'm more worried about the rotation which consists of Lester, Buccholz, and...... Lackey? Doubront? They need to sign starting pitching. With Bradley and Brentz coming up through the system, and Bogearts more than likely transitioning to another position I don't see why they need him. 

Unless they trade Ellsbury, then maybe if the deal is right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston's payroll is now at around $120 million. 

They need two top starting pitchers.  McCarthy, Marcum and Jackson (via free agency) or Brett Anderson via trade.  Any two among the four would make me happy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Offense is fine. I'm more worried about the rotation which consists of Lester, Buccholz, and...... Lackey? Doubront? They need to sign starting pitching. With Bradley and Brentz coming up through the system, and Bogearts more than likely transitioning to another position I don't see why they need him. 

[/QUOTE]

We could have traded Ellsbury, not signed SV and had $47M towards signing someone much better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

does anybody bother to read the other thread titles instead of creating your own?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We could have traded Ellsbury, not signed SV and had $47M towards signing someone much better.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. ~13m a year for someone who will more than likely be a bottom of the lineup guy seems a bit strange.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

AGree with few posters above that this offense is going to look scary if they sign Hamilton, but did Boston have a good offense two years ago, and fell apart at the end?

That is why I wouldnt say they are a contenders yet.  Getting a top of the rotation pitcher via trade to make up a good starting five rotation like this, Bucholtz, Lester, Lackey, Doubront and a newly top of the rotation pitcher with a back up emergency pitchers of Aceves and Tawaza.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They need two top starting pitchers.  McCarthy, Marcum and Jackson (via free agency) or Brett Anderson via trade.  Any two among the four would make me happy. 

[/QUOTE]

If any of those 4 are our #2 starter, we would still have problem.  They are #3 at best.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No offense but I have no idea what $47m has to do with this. We can STILL trade Ells, so signing SV only took 13m out of the kitty.  In fact you could argue it is a bit less. If we had instead signed Swisher (for instance) we'd still need a credible back up for CF. Don't get me wrong, I wanted Swisher for a reasonable contract, but I don't get why people are breaking out the pitch forks and torches over this. 

FWIW, I'd take Hamilton for 4/100 and deal Ells, Salty, & prospects not starting with B for a decent pitcher. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

In one year the Red Sox can go from embarrassement to the proud

team that won two world series

Elsbury

Pedroia

Hamilton

Napoli

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Lavarnway

Victorino

Iglesias (the wizard will hit)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevebatey. Show stevebatey's posts

In response to FantaSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In one year the Red Sox can go from embarrassement to the proud

team that won two world series

Elsbury

Pedroia

Hamilton

Napoli

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Lavarnway

Victorino

Iglesias (the wizard will hit)

[/QUOTE]

Put Ellsbury down at three and Victorino at the top of the lineup. Think that's a winner, however don't see signing Hamilton as a possibility.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

probably only get one IC, then some depth moves for #6 #7 pitchers. Morales will be in the mix as well. Lester/Buch/Doubie/Lackey is what we have so far. Just need one to fill ithe last spot, then something like Jurrjins for depth and the like...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we still have 60M to spend if they wish. probably not, but we have enough to get whoever we want.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Hamilton.... 3/39

It's the only contracts we do.

Interesting how every thread turns into a pitching discussion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"No, he will not. And neither did Crawbust."

Crawbust - you mean the guy you think Cherry screwed up by trading? OK, have it both ways.

OP: Hamilton will not make the Sox contenders. Sox could use a bit more pop, true - but right now pitching is the weak spot. If you think a better manager can turn this B level staff into aces you are, well, wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

IMHO signing Hamilton is exactly what they need to do. Not since Manny Ramirez has a player on the market presented a better fit.

As for starting pitching, signing Hamilton won't prevent them from adding to the rotation if the right profile of player presents itself (think Gavin Flyod for Salty & Kalish or another prospect)...Frankly I don't see starting pitching as a huge need as many on this site are trying to make it appear to be...Lost on all is that with Farrel back in the fold. I see Lester as the primary benefiary of his return and with that said. I'll make a bold prediction that Lester will win 20 plus games and be a legit CY young candidate in 2013. Not sure that anyone was paying attention last year but Morales proved to be worthy of being in the rotation. I also see Doubront taking another step forward under the guidance of Farrel. Lets not forget that we also have Clay Buccholz and Lackey too along with a couple of guy in the system that could play a role in 2013...

Here's what the signing of Hamilton would do for our lineup...add a legit run producing impact bat to the middle of the lineup and if they keep Ells or not...We'd have a line-up on paper capable of scoring close to 850-900 runs.

With Ells & Hamilton (If Ells is traded we move Victorino to the top)...

CF Ells

2B Pedrioa

LF Hamilton

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

3B Middlebrooks

C Ross

RF Victorino

SS Iglesias

Starting Pitching;

Lester

Buccholz

Doubront

Flyod (see trade above)...

Morales

>Lackey (as organizational depth until he proves himself healthy)...

Make no mistake about it the Sox are a legit middle of the order bat away from being among the best hitting teams in the game. I don't want to dismiss or minimize the need for our starting pitching to step up and pull their fair share of the load. Adding a veteren like Flyod to the mix will certainly bolster our organizational depth but end of the day...Jon Lester has to take the ball every 5 days and pitch with a big game pitchers moxy! If he does I'm pretty confident that the rest of them will do their par and with the depth we have in our pen...if Bailey delivers we'll be in the mix once more!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. ~13m a year for someone who will more than likely be a bottom of the lineup guy seems a bit strange.

Hey Gents,

The Sox still have plenty of dough to sign impact players and last time I checked what they spend on payroll has little to do with wins and losses...the goal is to field the best team within budgeted guidelines to to field the best team for a as little as possible...We're not the Oakland A's....

End of the day the signing Victorino gives them roster flexibilty not just in 2013. He's a legit proven ML leadoff hitter that has 3 gold gloves playing centerfield and whether or not they keep Ellsbury and depending on whther or not they sign or aquire another middle of the order bat (which I still see as a need)...Victorino could hit in the two hole behind Ell...

Current line-up (no trades or signings)

Ells

Victorino

Pedrioa

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Salty

Gomes / Kalish

Iglesias...

That's a pretty decent lineup....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Don't look now,but the Yankees are talking to Hamilton too according to MLBTraderumors.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't look now,but the Yankees are talking to Hamilton too according to MLBTraderumors.com

[/QUOTE]

I thought the Yankees were serious about having their payroll below $189 million by 2014? 

But I would not be surprised if the Yankees sign Hamilton.  It looks like they want to trade Granderson too.  

Also, the Yankees need a catcher and 3rd baseman.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Seriously though zac, $12M for Youk?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMHO signing Hamilton is exactly what they need to do. Not since Manny Ramirez has a player on the market presented a better fit.

As for starting pitching, signing Hamilton won't prevent them from adding to the rotation if the right profile of player presents itself (think Gavin Flyod for Salty & Kalish or another prospect)...Frankly I don't see starting pitching as a huge need as many on this site are trying to make it appear to be...Lost on all is that with Farrel back in the fold. I see Lester as the primary benefiary of his return and with that said. I'll make a bold prediction that Lester will win 20 plus games and be a legit CY young candidate in 2013. Not sure that anyone was paying attention last year but Morales proved to be worthy of being in the rotation. I also see Doubront taking another step forward under the guidance of Farrel. Lets not forget that we also have Clay Buccholz and Lackey too along with a couple of guy in the system that could play a role in 2013...

Here's what the signing of Hamilton would do for our lineup...add a legit run producing impact bat to the middle of the lineup and if they keep Ells or not...We'd have a line-up on paper capable of scoring close to 850-900 runs.

With Ells & Hamilton (If Ells is traded we move Victorino to the top)...

CF Ells

2B Pedrioa

LF Hamilton

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

3B Middlebrooks

C Ross

RF Victorino

SS Iglesias

Starting Pitching;

Lester

Buccholz

Doubront

Flyod (see trade above)...

Morales

>Lackey (as organizational depth until he proves himself healthy)...

Make no mistake about it the Sox are a legit middle of the order bat away from being among the best hitting teams in the game. I don't want to dismiss or minimize the need for our starting pitching to step up and pull their fair share of the load. Adding a veteren like Flyod to the mix will certainly bolster our organizational depth but end of the day...Jon Lester has to take the ball every 5 days and pitch with a big game pitchers moxy! If he does I'm pretty confident that the rest of them will do their par and with the depth we have in our pen...if Bailey delivers we'll be in the mix once more!

Very well said Beantowne many people underestimate the importance

of having a strong middle of the order hitting. Hitters that make

pitchers nervous thatcause them to lose their confidense. Remember

2004 and 2007 It was Ortiz and Ramirez.It helps the pitchers tremendously

when they know that big Papi or Hamilton canchange the game with one

swing of the bat. Our pitching can be much better than last

year the resources are there. Many people believed Lester was one

of the best pitchers hewill rebound Clay has elite stuff Lackey was an ace

remember he was pitching hurt. Thatthird and fourth hitter can influnce

lots a things on a team. Henry and co have provedthey will do what it

takes and there is an oportunity to get Hamilton a 5 tool player for

four year contract i would say do it. It's good for the Red Sox and its

good for Hamiltonto get away from Ryan and from the bad memories

of Texas. Heneeds a fresh start. Forthe very list it will frustrate

New york and transform a last place team to a world series 

contender.

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

One thing that really worries me about Hamilton is him breaking down early because of all the drug use early on. Last year he was talking about vision problems? Yikes. I would still take the chance but no more than 3/75 with conditions.

zac,

One year of Youk at 12M isnt bad. You have to overpay a little to get the years down. I think he might reunite with Tito in Cleveland though. another year and 6M more. Hes an Ohio boy. Cinci, but still Ohio.

Sections
Shortcuts