Josh Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Josh Hamilton

Hamilton is one of my favorite MLB players but I also agree that he wouldn't be a good fit in Boston.  I don't think the Red Sox will sign him and if they do it could end up being another bad signing.   The person who I always thought the Red Sox should have resigned was Beltre.  He is still a very good hitter and defensive player who would have helped the Red Sox this year considering all of the injuries. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

I would love to have Josh, but I would hate for him to be beaten up here if he were to get a long contract.

That's not the only thing he'd get beaten up for. Some fans will ridicule his religious beliefs, just like they did Agon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

despite all the we've read and heard reported, i also see a return to Texas...great situation for him already and obviously has Wash's support...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

2012 is his career year.  He's starting getting aged  and even if we have enough money to land few monster contracts, no need to spend on Hamilton. I bet Brentz will start for the Sox next season. 

IMO, there's Korean LHP who's eligible through posting system.  His name is Ryu Hyun Jin and he's 25 I belive.  He's like Yu Darvish in Korean league which translates to triple A in MLB.  Ryu has 6 year pro experience as well as national games including WBC and Oylmpics.  He was dominant in those national games.  Ryu will be alot cheaper than Darvish and has potential of being solid #3 starter in big market team.  He could be had for around $30M for posting fee plus 5 yr contract.  I think Sox sent scouts to Korea past week.  I think Sox should consider bidding for him this winter. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

no way.  he is neither a prospect, unproven talent, or "kid".  he doesnt belong on our small market Boston Red Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

Think this winter he'll pick up the phone and call Agon? "So, Agon, what was it like in Boston when you only hit .300 and 18 dingers and drove in all those runs and the RISP avg?  Really? That's what the writers and fans wanted to talk about?"

Nope, don't think he'll be coming here. I agree he's best staying in Texas. The devil you know rather than the one you don't know.

Besides, I'd rather see them build a foundation for continued success through the farm system so that we have replacements for players that we lose or trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If Texas doesn't re-sign him, I think Duquette will sign him for Baltimore. Dan will want to make a splash this offseason. Hamilton will be his Manny.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's time Baseball hits Reset on the crazy money and years they sign players for starting with Hamilton. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

So some of you now want to spend money for 5 years on a guy who has had injury issues and is 31/32.
    Yet some of the same people were happy to see Beckett, CC and Agon gone because of their salaries?????

Am I the only one that sees this as IRONY at its best?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No. You are not the only one. Signing Hamilton would be insane and a repeat of the same philosophy that has been been ridiculed here since the Lackey bad start.

I would not like us to sign Hamilton, Greinke or Napoli since each will take long term deals and be way overpaid, but I'd rather have these 3 than AGon, Beckett and CC, so in this sense, I can at least see the merit to the argument from those who supported the CC signing.

On the injury issue, yes Josh has missed 29 or more games each of the last 4 of the last 5 seasons (by injury, rest or otherwise), but he still had over 538 PAs in 4 of those seasons, had over 25 HRs and 94 RBIs in 4 of those seasons as well. Only Miggy, Votto & Bautista have a higher OPS (.956) over the last 3 years. His 5 year OPS is .913- good for 7th best among ML players with 2500+ PAs.

He will be 32 in May.  We should not sign him. notin makes a good point that his cost might be lower than expected due to the normal big spending teams might pass on Hamilton, but his price and length of contract would have to fall pretty far for me to be OK with his signing... maybe $88M/4 or $102M/5 tops. Even that, I'd have to second guess myself before deciding for real.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

So some of you now want to spend money for 5 years on a guy who has had injury issues and is 31/32.
    Yet some of the same people were happy to see Beckett, CC and Agon gone because of their salaries?????

Am I the only one that sees this as IRONY at its best?

Yah but the problem is that the sox aren't just 1 or 2 years away.......they're a bunch of years away till contenderhood which is happens when the farm produces enough good low cost starters that can dominate  this division.That ain't happening any time soon so they might as well pick up players that can keep them at least respectable till they finally are able to challenge.Hamilton would make them much more respectable than no hamilton would. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It would be about filling seats until the kids are ready... but don't say the word "bridge".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It's ownership that has to hit the reset button - not MLB.  The Sox are one of the reasons that mediocre players get such huge contracts...Beckett, CC, Lackey and even AGon.  I am betting the days of the 170M annual Sox payroll are long gone now. 

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

It's time Baseball hits Reset on the crazy money and years they sign players for starting with Hamilton. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is we will be at $170 by 2014... 2015 at the latest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump past the idiot

Sections
Shortcuts